Staffordshire Bull Terrier Reviews

Media Gallery for Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier

“A GREAT DOG”

Written on: 16/04/2014 by Trevorj439 (1 review written)

I HAVE A STOFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER, AND SHE IS A GREAT AND INTELLEGENT DOG. I DO DOG AGILITY WITH HER AND SHE LOVES TO LEARN ALL OF THE TIME. SHE IS GREAT WITH PEOPLE AND SHE ABSOLUTLY LOVES HUMANS!SHE IS SUCH A FUNNY DOG SHE ENTERTAINS ME ALOT.IF YOU WERE TO GET A STFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER (STAFFIE)YOU WOULD BE BEST TO GET A RESCUE STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER, AS THERE ARE LOTS THAT ARE IN DOGS HOMES AND NEED A NEW LOVING HOME. ALL MY STFFIE DOES ALL DAY IS SLEEP. I WOULD RECCOMEND A… Read Full Review

“Staffys Are A Mixed Bag...”

Written on: 14/01/2014 by Amadaca (1 review written)

I have a Staffy & have had considerable experience prior to owning one. There are more cons than I often see reported online --- chief among them is the Staffys absolute, irresolvable propensity for destruction. Time & again this breed will prove to you wrecking things is virtually a bodily function for them. Their famous (infamous?) stubbornness means there's precious little they won't or can't destroy once they set their mind to it. This is an extremely gritty dog. There is no concept of… Read Full Review

Dalaina's Response to Amadaca's Review

Written on: 25/03/2014

My family owned a Staffy for 14 years. Her name was Abby, and she was the smartest dog I have ever personally known. She even made two attempts to vocalize. She never once destroyed anything, and she never jumped. Abby's only flaw was her aggression toward other dogs, arising from her need to protect her people family. We have two guinea pigs, and she never once tried to hurt them. We also had a cockatiel who walked all around her, and she never bothered him. My sister-in-law also had a Staffy, and her dog, though less aggressive than Abby, was also a wonderful pet, though she would jump in your lap. I love the breed. The person who wrote the other comments must have had an unusual experience.

Chakano's Response to Amadaca's Review

Written on: 16/08/2014

this is a ridiculous review . I am 50 yrs old and have had staffies all my life since I was a toddler , I have always had lots of dogs in our household as well as cats , when my children were small they also had rats , guinea pigs rabbits etc which they used to let out to run around indoors with ducks and chickens roaming free in the garden and horses in paddock , i have NEVER had one of my staffs attack any of them .All my dogs are taught from an early age that you DO NOT chase any small creature ever (I also have other breeds including terriers ) ,they are very intelligent and easy to train with kind CONSISTENT training. I have also never had one that was destructive. They must , however be properly socialised with other dogs from an early age to prevent dog aggression and even then if another dog attacks them , they will retaliate and unless you have trained them correctly to listen to your commands , as with any breed the situation can get out of control

“Why have a lap dog when you can have a Staffy?”

Written on: 10/01/2014 by LanceKoa (1 review written)

I grew up with Huskies, Malamutes, and one wolf, all high prey drive, challenging breeds. I loved all of them. I now have a male, 13 week old Staffy puppy, and I get a little more pleasantly surprised every day. He's is smart as a whip, and has been relatively easy to train so far with the standard sit, down etc. He is displaying some dominant behavior (particularly to my wife) which we are working on. No worries there for me, but my wife has never owned a dog, never mind a Staffy, so it… Read Full Review

“staffy love ”

Written on: 11/10/2013

i have a blue 7month old male staffy and he is a wonderful family pet! i hate all the negativity these poor dogs get because of the idiot owners!! i have two young children and a baby on the way and he is so good with them i have never had such a well behaved loyal and loving pet! he is very intelligent also yes he barks and may look mean but he wouldnt know how to bite! and he has lots of doggy friends too who he loves to play with! there is not an aggressive bone in my wee boys body and i… Read Full Review

“staffordshire bull terrier review”

Written on: 21/08/2013

it is the best dog ive ever had so far i had a central asian shepard a neopolitan mastiff (italian mastiff) and a pug but the staffy is like all of them in one hes very playful hes a good watch dog and he keeps intruders away so hes a great guard dog too but you must train him from a young age and make sure not to let him play around strangers so he does actually guard your property otherwise they are extremely friendly with people but not with other molloser breeds but gets along with other… Read Full Review

“My puppy's ear is all funny ”

Written on: 28/07/2013 by Bennett187 (1 review written)

Hi I have a 10 week old staffy pup but recently iv noticed her ear sitting funny just the one ear it seems to be getting worse can anyone help me here one ear sits perfect but her other ear flops over her face… Read Full Review

“AMAZING!”

Written on: 21/07/2013

This dog is possibly the best breed you could possibly get. We have our little girl Molly, who is roughly 35lb. She is the sweetest dog ever! Our neighbor also has a boy staffys who visits regularly. Staffys are loving, affectionate, adorable, and great watchdogs! All Molly ever wants to do is lay in your lap and be at your feet. She is so good with our two daughters and they absolutely adore her! She has never been unfriendly towards anyone we have ever come across. This dog is defiantly not… Read Full Review

“Sick of bad reviews! They are fab dogs”

Written on: 16/06/2013 by vicki29 (1 review written)

I have a staffy. I've grown up with all different kinds of dogs and he is by far the loveliest of them all. He's so loving and cuddley and he can't bear to upset anyone. I'm so fed up of all the bad reviews in the press and the stories of children being attacked. The press jump on these stories but they don't bother with the ones where a Labrador or a spaniel bites someone. People cross the road to avoid mine which is a crying shame because he's nearly breaking his neck to meet everyone. This… Read Full Review

“wicked friendly loyal”

Written on: 19/05/2013 by swansmike (1 review written)

my male staffy is 2 next month, they are a very very friendly breed dont listen to all that rubbish people talk in the papers, news. Unless you have had a staffy you cant really comment but i promise anyone who is thinking of buying 1 you wont regret it They will sit on your feet , if they are not on the sofa next to you, they will lick you to death, love walks, pulling and just playing constantly. Mine alerts me if someone is walking past in the night, he shares the house with 2 teacup… Read Full Review

Rox58's Response to swansmike's Review

Written on: 09/06/2013

yes i agree with everything you have said i rehomed a female staffy about 2 years old and she is the most loving dog i have ever owned she is really friendly with other dogs and likes to play all the time. My grandchildren love her and she is brilliant with them wouldnt swap her for anything and would have another infact thinking about rehoming another for a play mate for her.

“family dog”

Written on: 15/05/2013

I have a beautiful four yr old girl she is great with my three children, she has never bitten them or hurt them. She is loving natured,great with other dogs even though she has been attacked twice,she loves people although does tend too jump up too lick them, she is so soppy she is an over grown puppy,these dogs have a bad rep but i always say its not the dog its the owner any dog can be vicious if brought up wrong. There not guard dogs if someone broke in they are likely to be licked to death… Read Full Review

“Definitely a family dog”

Written on: 20/03/2013

Well I was surprised to see my mother come home one day with a Staffy puppy snuggled up in her arms, especially after all the rumours and news articles about the breed (admittedly I was a bit cautious about them). He was about seven weeks old when he came to us and still crying for his litter mates that he had to leave behind. We've had him for four years now and he is exactly what I have wanted in a dog. He is very affectionate, he knows his place in the family and knows that he is the lowest… Read Full Review

“staffordshire bull terrier”

Written on: 18/03/2013

the best dog you will ever own thats why they are called the nanny dogs, i have two both make immaculate pets i would never have any other breed. such a gentle breed… Read Full Review

“vicious dogs always ready to attacj.”

Written on: 11/03/2013

My eleven year old Shealyham Terrior attached by a "suprised" owner. Only bred for one thing - to kill. When it attacks other animls, or god forbid your children, don't act surprised. I am a dog owner for over 30 years, get a lab or something nice. Why are half the owners 20 year old hoodies? Because that's a statement about the dog's temperment… Read Full Review

Tidy1's Comment

Written on: 28/03/2013

How shallow! Is it the dogs fault 20 year old lads get them...? NO! If you haven't anything constructive to say then I suggest you don't say it! Just because 1 lab bite someone doesn't mean they all will! Get over yourself , your the one with the problem!

Great response X

Great response X

Joannedaniel's Comment

Written on: 03/05/2013

I agree 100% with Tidy 1 My parents bought me a Lab for my 7th birthday and I named her Lassie.Lassie slept on my bed from day 1 she followed me everywhere I could not go almost anywhere without her from going to the toilet,bath,shop,school,friends houses and the park my mom had to keep her indoors until I came home from school and if she got a gap to get out she would end up outside my primary school gate.One afternoon while playing with a few friends that new her and her them Lassie bit my one friend in the face just because the girl patted me on my shoulder my friend had to have 21 stitches.I have two Staffordshire Bull Terriers Buddy and Holly and they truelly live up to there name being The Nanny Dog .I am not saying that Labradors are not good family dogs I just think that people /general public should not comment on any breed unless they themselves have owned one.

Faybes's Comment

Written on: 27/10/2013

I have a one year old staffy. Iv had golden retrievers and cairn terriers when i lived with my parents and i honestly can say my staffy is the most loving and well behaved dog I have ever owned. He loves kids and other dogs. He lives with our French bulldog and they are best friends. Me and my partner are in our early 20s does this make our dog vicious because of our age??!! No. We love him and have trained him properly. It's people like you with your big mouth that give this poor breed a bad name. You ought to be ashamed of yourself being such a stereotypical small dog owner. God help your snappy little terroir having an owner like you

Bezzie73's Comment

Written on: 28/09/2013

I owed a staffie for 15 years. I worked with special needs children and used to take him to work with me. His love and passion for all 35 children at the school was admired by all the staff and social workers he came across. He was a little temperamental with other male dogs and would lie on them to dominate them. Once he was done this trait disappeared and would only get into a scuffle with other dogs if they antagonised him..... A lot. Then he would only give a warning.

Unfortunately your view is the view of someone who believes everything in the press because any dog of a small muscular disposition is immediately said to be a staffie, when in fact they probably aren't.

I'm getting another soon and have an 18 month old daughter. If I thought for one minute that these dogs were in any way a danger or threat I wouldn't even consider it.

My partner isn't a fan and so I did some research into other breeds, JR and collie crosses. The reviews for them with children are nowhere near as positive. Can snap being the main warning.

I suggest you try living with one for a while. You'll be surprised how loving and faithful they are. They certainly last longer than most loving relationships these days........

Bezzie73's Comment

Written on: 28/09/2013

Snapper01's Comment

Written on: 23/05/2013

Vicious dogs always ready to attack ? please, get a life you uneducated simpleton.The Stafford if raised correctly is one of the friendliest dogs known to man. It has a heart of gold. Just because your hybrid little rat probably provoked it. I have been training dogs for 24 years, The Stafford is 6th on the list of dogs bites each year, Small dogs bite more people and kids than any powerful breed.I would suggest that what you refer to as a staffy is probably a staffy x, or a dog that has been trained that way, by the idiot owner.There are very few bad dogs, just bad dog owners. Just like there is very few educated people on this site, this is especially true of yourself. It's people like you that don't know what they are talking about, that give the Staffy a bad name. Your tongue is far more dangerous than it's bite.

Written on: 27/04/2013

Are you living in the real world ?? people like you are very shallow and pathetic who probably is not even a animal lover anyway, by the way me and my husband are not 20 year hoodies but are professional working people with a staffordshire bull terrier she has a amazing temperment and goes walks with my elderly mother. So do not judge everybody and take a look at yourself !!!!

“STAFFIES GREAT BREED SO MISS UNDERSTOOD ”

Written on: 03/03/2013 by knottydotty (3 reviews written)

i have two staffies , lola she is 6 and neo he is 4 .WHERE do i start , loyal , loving , friendly breed , if they are treated that way .MY mum has dislike dogs from a very early age as she was attacked by one when she was very young , she comes in to my flat with my two no problem at all they are all over her licking , muzzling her , they same with with my neices two young kids age 3 and 4 they play with them on the floor and even falling asleep with them . yes they do have a downside… Read Full Review

Joannedaniel's Response to knottydotty's Review

Written on: 03/05/2013

I agree 100%

“Loving,entellingent,disturbing ”

Written on: 18/02/2013

I have a boy staffy puppy nearly 1 this year, I just want advice because he try's to do inappropriate things with my arm how can I prevent this from happening also he tends to bite a relatives ear… Read Full Review

“Lovely dogs, intelligent, playful and energetic - perfect!”

Written on: 07/02/2013 by Reddogz (1 review written)

Myself and partner have lots of experience with Staffies. We are both dog walkers and have worked at three different animal rescue centers, where the majority of dogs were Staffies or Staffy crosses. These dogs do not deserve the negative press they so often get in the media, they are a fantastic breed, much over-looked, often bought by the wrong people for the wrong reasons and abused then abandoned. Yes, Staffies can be aggressive with other dogs - but so can other breed!! They can just as… Read Full Review

“Strange change of personality”

Written on: 12/12/2012 by Bluboy51 (1 review written)

I have a 3 year old blue Staff, he is a fantastic dog, obedient, loving and very friendly, just recently he has become afraid of his bed, he will not go in it and just stands around with his tail between his legs looking scared, I have not got a clue why this is happening, does any one else have a simular story… Read Full Review

Reddogz's Response to Bluboy51's Review

Written on: 07/02/2013

Hi there,

There could be hundreds of reasons he has recently become scared of his bed, sometimes it's hard to work out why a sudden fear has developed!

You could try counter conditioning him to his bed. Do you clicker train him? Start off quite far from the bed and reward every time he looks / steps towards the bed, gradually letting him get closer. Leave tasty treats on his bed for him to find, and reward when he gets them.

Has he ever been sent to his bed for misbehaving? If so he could be seeing it as a punishment / scary place...

If you watch Kikopup's YouTube videos (she's a great trainer) she has some vids about counter conditioning dogs to things they are scared of, eg. people wearing hats, and one of her dogs Kiko became scared of the kitchen floor!

Casey1971's Response to Bluboy51's Review

Written on: 25/02/2013

My mum had a simular issue with her dog , she discovered later that a rather large spider was tucked away in his bed. It turns out many dogs are scared of spiders. U never know . Just a thought

“Fighting All The Time”

Written on: 24/11/2012

I brought a Male Staffy puppie at about 8 weeks old, he is now about 10 weeks and we recently got him a mate to play with, she is also a staffy she is around 16 months old, they seem to be play fighting all the time (it seems to be play fighting as they are both wagging their tails), but after a few mins the younger male starts to show his teeth and they both make horrible growling noises, we try to keep them apart but both want to be with the other, is it the case of them playing or are they… Read Full Review

Chunk123's Comment

Written on: 02/12/2012

Bye both of your dogs a muzzel but don't use it until they start gettin nasty then when they calm down take the muzzel off and see how they are for about 5 mins snd reward your dogs with a treat they they will learne not to play nastley then if they start agin just do the same.

Reddogz's Comment

Written on: 07/02/2013

Just wanted to chip in and say this is entirely normal PUPPY PLAY :)

Sometimes when playing puppies can look like utter devils! Snarling, lips back, growling etc etc. We just rescued a 10 week old Staffy pup to go with our 3 year old rescue and she's the same, but it's all utter play :)

If both dogs keep going back for more, then it's play. Look for signs of over-excitement or aggression in the older dog, such as hard eyed stares, closed mouth, stiff tail etc. Then call them away and let them calm down before play resumes :)

“Great dogs, but extremely powerful and territorial.”

Written on: 18/11/2012 by Raygirl (1 review written)

Love my two Staffies (black and white) due to their eagerness to please, cuddly nature and happy-to-be-here attitude. Got both as adults from shelters. However, they are very territorial and if another dog acts like it wants a fight, you have a big problem because the Staffie will always come out "the bad guy" (because they 'lock on' to the other dog and won't let go no matter how much yelling, screaming, pulling goes on). I say this from experience. I have been to the emergency room after… Read Full Review

Carapops's Response to Raygirl's Review

Written on: 07/12/2012

I have 2 staffy's one is only a pup but the other one is the friendliest dog in the world all she wants to do is play with other dogs, even when they show aggression towards her. It is not in a staffy's nature to fight with other dogs it's how they are brought up which is why I always choose to get a puppy so I can socialize from an early age

“There is no better,more loyal magnificent dog then the...”

Written on: 16/11/2012 by DIanneKG (1 review written)

There is no better,more loyal magnificent dog then the Staffordshire bull terrier or the American pit bull Terrier which are the same breed...just AKC or UKC registered… Read Full Review