Beeman R1 Reviews

Beeman R1 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Beeman R1

Beeman R1
Beeman R1

“I bought my R1 for the silliuet matches ,and fun in...”

Written on: 06/06/2010

I bought my R1 for the silliuet matches ,and fun in the shop after work. I tried every thing ,cleaning ,proper lubracants,polishing the rifling,the best beeman scope, even having my brother shoot it ( whom is a beter shot thn I with his own guns), and taking tips from other R1 shooters who endured the same frustrations of inaccuricy, even replacing the spring, which was a real shocker,looking like a cork screw. and it had never been left cocked more than a few seconds during matches. I'm very… Read Full Review

Pcp4Me's Comment

Written on: 30/08/2013

Uh, ".You can't hurt what doesn't work to begin with"?

Convert a barrel to 6mm airsoft and watch just how fast you hurt the gun. Those pellets are so light they will allow the piston to slam violently into the breech and tear the gun up in short order!!

As for accuracy, that gun is known to be superbly accurate! But it requires a dead soft artillery hold!! If you do not know what that is, Google it.

Even experienced shooters find it requires a lot of practice to develop the concentration and technique to shoot this qun accurately! But the payoff is superb accuracy and a great hunting gun.

Generally, this is not the gun you would choose for plinking, and CERTAINLY not for silhouette shooting!!

For that you should choose one of the no recoil 10 m target guns (FWB 300S or similar) or a lower power target gun like the Crosman challenger or the Talon Edge or similar.

The gun you chose is simply totally inappropriate for silhouette shooting!

“THe Beeman R1 is a good all rounder good for hunting...”

Written on: 29/01/2008 by Les Hey (1 review written)

THe Beeman R1 is a good all rounder good for hunting and just as good for pliking and target shooting… Read Full Review

Pcp4Me's Response to Les Hey's Review

Written on: 30/08/2013

I agree this is a great hunting gun. I personally would NOT choose it for plinking or target shooting!!

There are far better guns for those disciplines! Of course any gun is a "plinker", but if I just want to have some fun and hit all my targets, I would pick a lower powered gun with little or no recoil that is dead nuts accurate!

“Wow! What a great rifle. Mine had no "buzzy" noises...”

Written on: 20/12/2007 by OldDave (10 reviews written)

Wow! What a great rifle. Mine had no "buzzy" noises unlike some of my other rifles, just a satisfying "thunk" when fired.
In my opinion the Beeman rifle is on the heavy side but it really isn't an issue for big guy's like me. You will immediately see the accuracy potential right away. Cocking is not as hard as I thought it would be, only slightly heavier than my RWS M34.
Mine is a .177 and shoots on a very flat trajectory, and even without a chonograph seems to have the muzzle velocity as… Read Full Review

“Ah yes, The R-1. Funny I find it uncomfortable saying...”

Written on: 11/11/2007 by Marlon James (9 reviews written)

Ah yes, The R-1. Funny I find it uncomfortable saying "The Beeman R-1" because in our reviews and forums we heavily critique the Beeman trade name. I purchased my R-1 in 1984, I have my receipt in my files, I'm sure She's about 23 years old. I bought her for about $250.00 in San Rafael when they ran their shop themselves. I purchased one of the original Beeman Blue Ring Scope in 2-9 x 32 AO/TT and custom mounts a scope stop, super then a laser tune. The rig and set up has remained entact since… Read Full Review

Marlon James's Response to Marlon James's Review

Written on: 03/01/2008

Attention Readers;
<br/>The $1200.00 comment on the cost of a Beeman R-1 is the dollar amount for a fully customized gun in the '80's. Muzzle break, quick detachable shoulder sling, 3-9x32mm AO/TT, scope stop & mounts, trigger shoe, super tune, laser tune, select stock. The current dollar cost or values for an R-1 is most likely higher for 2008 to outfit.

Pcp4Me's Response to Marlon James's Review

Written on: 31/08/2013

Ok. it is now August 2013, and a brand spanking new R1 in .20 caliber is $685 from the biggest air gun dealer in the nation.

This does not include any options, tuning, or a scope and mount, ldc or sling swivels, bipods, etc. So $1200 is not a stretch, as you can easily pay $600 for a scope and mounts, so it is not unachievable. In fact, with tunes by a master tuner, and other possible upgrades and accessories, you might even hit $1800 to $2000!

Marlon James's Response to Marlon James's Review

Written on: 14/04/2008

Dual Mag Mike,
<br/>I agree the R-1 does not cost $1,200. It is about half that as a base gun around $600.+/- (In current day pricing) w/no upgrades in scope and mounting, custom muzzle break, trigger shoe, quick detachable swivels and lings, refinishing the stock, back then Beeman offered a Laser Super Tune. In 1986 I paid $280.00 for my stock blemished R-1.
<br/>And I agree, those new lighter alloy pellets are not good to use all the time, the piston slams a little harder and basically tough on the gun.
<br/>Because I want variety, they are fun to shoot and use on things. I use a different pellet for different purposes, depending on what I'm gonna do. Target, plink, varmints that do damage or long range silhouette. For these old eyes and hands that tremble, I use an RWS 4-12x50mm 30mm tube TT/AO dual illuminated reticle, and for me trying to shoot 30 yards is hard without benching it.
<br/>By the time I finished with all the setup I spent about that much between 1986 and '88. My R-1, functions exceptionally well, despite any other name you call it. HW in my reasoning stands with Diana, RWS, Webley Scott, Air Arms in consistency of quality.
<br/>Now my next step is to find a reputable gunsmith that can re-blue and refinish and polish the receiver. I wonder is I'll loose my laserizing?
<br/>But That's what's great about our sport. The guns are versatile and can digest almost any pellet with reasonable performance results that can be adjusted by proper pellet choice or tuning. Some sessions I've put a beating my guns and they hold up well. Happy Shooting.

Dual Mag Mike's Response to Marlon James's Review

Written on: 21/03/2008

I found this review unhelpful because... Beeman R1's are no where near $1200 US dollars (they are actually about half that). Most .177 pellets should go right through a coffee or soup can at 17 yards. Sabot pellets or any ultra light pellets like the Raptors are too light for normal use with Magnum airguns which the R1 is considered. The ultra light weight does not provide enough back pressure to the piston. Why would anyone feel uncomfortable calling a gun by its rightful name. It's not an HW80 as they came after the R1?

“I own a San Rafeal model Beeman R1 laser .177 cal....”

Written on: 19/02/2007 by airwoods (3 reviews written)

I own a San Rafeal model Beeman R1 laser .177 cal. This gun has not been shot since the early nineties and still shows an 1150 fps average on my chrony using Silver Bears and 1010 fps using Beeman FPS and 840 fps using Beeman Kodiaks. Besides the laser mod I've also had the barrel angle correction done for scope use and this gun is accurate using all pellets. This beauty was a Christmas present from my father over 20 years ago and taking a new interest in air guns I'm glad i still have this gun… Read Full Review

Marlon James's Response to airwoods's Review

Written on: 11/11/2007

Wow, not shot since the early nineties eh. How did the bluing fair? Did it rust? Any internal clotting of oils? How did you take out the old lube? During a cold winter, even in my gun safe there developed some rusting due to moisture. No pitting occurred but the rusting is minor on my R-1.

“I have an R/1 in 5mm and carbine barrel. It was...”

Written on: 04/12/2006 by drysdalem (1 review written)

I have an R/1 in 5mm and carbine barrel. It was originally .177 and the rifle barrel. I sent it to be tuned with a maccari spring, buttoned piston and delrin spring guide. While the tuner had the weapon I asked him to change the barrel to a 5mm carbine. I like the caliber and really like the shortened length. It makes a fine middle of the road hunting rifle.
After a few hundered rounds to settle in the spring and parts I ran a series of chronograph tests on this rifle and here is a breakdown of… Read Full Review

“I've had my Beeman RI in .20 cal for about a month. I...”

Written on: 30/12/2005 by Watts93 (2 reviews written)

I've had my Beeman RI in .20 cal for about a month. I absolutely love it. It's a great rec. gun. I can get a great group, and I've hit many squirrels with it. It's a first class gun. And I would recommend it to anyone… Read Full Review

“I own 2 Beeman R1s a .177 & .22 Cal. Both San Rafael...”

Written on: 26/09/2005 by airgunnut1 (1 review written)

I own 2 Beeman R1s a .177 & .22 Cal. Both San Rafael models. Very well made and the best finish out there. After owning several others including Tomahawk and the Pro Elite it would be safe to say that the R1 is the best springer you can own… Read Full Review

“I've shot entensively with two Beeman R-1 "Laser" air...”

Written on: 11/07/2005 by Tholzel (14 reviews written)

I've shot entensively with two Beeman R-1 "Laser" air rifles. "Laser" was an upgraded Beeman offered which incrased power to about 20-21 ft-lbs (depending on pellet weight--heavy pellets faired better). Accuracy and a fine trigger (and a darn fine-looking rifle) are the high points.

But my scopes and scope mounts took a beating. I had to go to heroic measures to lock them down, including adding a sliver of emory cloth between ring and scope tube, and using the highest rated Lok-Tite thread… Read Full Review

Dual Mag Mike's Response to Tholzel's Review

Written on: 27/03/2006

Wow, I'm sorry to hear of all the problems you had with the scope creep. Have you ever heard of or tried Beeman's scope stops or a scope mount with a built in recoil pin? I have had excellent results with either one. My old R1 has Beeman's Professional scope stop on it for 20 years now and never a micron worth of creep. I also have several other air guns including a Pro Elite a 22 ft. lb. gun that has a scope mount with the recoil pin attached with no creep at all. If the problem is only with the scope sliding in the mount and not the mount sliding in the rail maybe you could try Beeman's 5040 dlx. 1 pc mount with 4 allen screws per each of its 2 rings. Beeman also has a Dampa mount with a built in shock absorber that Theoben even uses on their Ultra Magnum Eliminator. I hope this helps.

Pcp4Me's reply to Dual Mag Mike's Comment

Written on: 31/08/2013

Well....I have actually had the hole the stop pin goes into elongated and stretched from this gun as well as several other "magnum" spring guns! Not pretty at all.

My solution? PCP! Higher velocities and energies possible with not scope creep at all!

In my opinion, guns with this much recoil should have a picatinny rail either built as one piece with the receiver or welded on! This is the only way I know to ensure no scope creep.

Never had a problem with scopes moving in the rings. If you use high quality rings and torque the screws down good, they don't move.

However, I had one case of an $8 set of cheap rings break from the severe recoil. It only had two small screws holding the rings, and they both broke on the rear ring! So much for cheap rings on magnum spring guns!!

I got rid of all my high recoiling spring guns and went to pcp, hence my name!

Tholzel's Response to Tholzel's Review

Written on: 28/03/2006

"I'm sorry to hear of all the problems you had with the scope creep."

Take a look at http://www.velocitypress.com/air_rifle_ballistics.php#bb to see an example of scope rail creep in spite of a positive recoil blocking pin. The problem on the laserized R-1s (remember, these have more power than the normal models) was that the tube slid inside the rings regardless of how much I tightened them down. Thus the use of a small patch of fine emery cloth jammed in between ring and tube--which did the trick.

“I, like one of the other reviewers have had my Beeman...”

Written on: 22/06/2005 by Dual Mag Mike (37 reviews written)

I, like one of the other reviewers have had my Beeman R1 Air Rifle for about 20 years and have never sent it out for any tune ups, or repairs. I have shot this gun a lot, I mean a whole lot. If I were really pressed to guess how many times I would have to say over 7,000 pellets maybe even quite a bit more than that! Accuracy is still good and has taken many, many, many critters out to about 40 yards (120 feet). The power of course has dwindled a bit. Best chrony numbers are at 15.5 ft. lbs. I… Read Full Review

Dual Mag Mike's Response to Dual Mag Mike's Review

Written on: 17/08/2016

Recent tune has revived the ole gal and is now shooting just a tad under factory new. 715fps with FTS pellets/16.60fpe May open it up again and put a spacer or 2 as well as new seal. I used a spring out of another newer but still fairly old R1 to refresh this one.

Dual Mag Mike's reply to Dual Mag Mike's Comment

Written on: 14/09/2016

Second tune using factory spring new seal and spacer brought velocity to 758 fps (.22cal) using FTS pellets. 3rd tune with Maccari spring has FTS pellets @755fps/19.5fpe. and still quite easy to engage with the leverage of the rifle length barrel.

“Beeman R1: ”

Written on: 23/03/2005 by Eeyore (3 reviews written)

Beeman R1:
General Comments:
Although I've been enjoying the shooting sports for almost fifty years, I am submitting this review as a NOVICE because air rifles are so vastly different than firearms and I have only worked with six diferent air rifles.

I chose the Beeman .177 R1 as the latest addition to my collection because it appeared to be the "Classic" air rifle, and one of the best, all-round spring-piston models in production. It was purchased from Straight Shooters in St. Cloud, MN… Read Full Review

Sexysarah's Response to Eeyore's Review

Written on: 27/03/2005

Good review

Pcp4Me's Response to Eeyore's Review

Written on: 31/08/2013

Excellent review! Very informative and helpful! And I agree with most every thing you have said.

But after pcp arrived, I switched! I was reluctant to do so at first, but after trying a Crosman Discovery, I was hooked, bought several more pcp's and got rid of all my spring guns! Only one left is a gas piston Crosman Titan GP. Excellent gun with the advantages of a spring gun and none of the disadvantages.

The rest of my guns are all CO2 pump up, or Pcp. I do have several spring piston pistols, but all but my Beeman P1 in .20 caliber will be sold. The P1 stays simply because it delivers a great amount of power for a pistol in a compact package. Several other guns made now equal the power, but they all are much bigger, heavier and clunkier! The P1 fits in any .45 full size holster. The others require custom holsters to carry them and are too heavy to carry comfortably.

Marlon James's Response to Eeyore's Review

Written on: 11/11/2007

Geat review !!! I should learn to write as well as you have done so. Please Tell me where you acquired your trigger, and how much did it cost? By the way it must be nice to have a chronograph.

Teleamp's Response to Eeyore's Review

Written on: 11/01/2007

Great review, it should have got an expert ranking. Your review has really helped me with my decision.
<br/>
<br/>Thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough review.
<br/>
<br/>Mike Y.

Rodger2003's Response to Eeyore's Review

Written on: 22/03/2006

Thanks for a really outstanding review. Now that I have read your review, I'm more convinced than ever that an R1 is the right gun for me.
Thanks again.

Watts93's Response to Eeyore's Review

Written on: 30/12/2005

Ya dude at the beginning is right (i don't always write the best reviews either. MY BAD)

Nordattack's Response to Eeyore's Review

Written on: 18/08/2005

An extremely well written review. Much useful information. This is the way a review should be done.
<br>A note to other reviewers: Always tell us at the beginning of your review what caliber your gun is in.

“Came to this rifle review site and noticed there were...”

Written on: 13/09/2004 by Bill (1 review written)

Came to this rifle review site and noticed there were 28 reviews on the Weihrauch HW80 but none for the Beeman R1. The Beeman came first and the HW80 soon followed.
I believe they are identical in spec's, but if not, they are VERY similar.
The R1 has the best trigger of any firearm I've owned. It can be set extremely light which is what I like. The stock is high quality, comparable to heavy stocks on large caliber centerfire rifles. After 20 years of use the gun still functions flawlessly and… Read Full Review

Hunter3000's Response to 123276_Bill's Review

Written on: 30/03/2005

I've been looking at the CFX, Shadow, Hunter 1250 and some of the other magnums lately. Just felt like a new airgun. I've owned a Beeman R1 for over 20 years and hadn't shot it for a long time. Well I got it out and ran a tin of pellets through it. Not looking any more, instead I'm investing the money in a good 4-16x56 scope, one piece mount and some other goodies. See, the gun kinda' reminds me of my wife. Sure there are others that look a bit sleeker, maybe perform a bit faster, and don't have quite so many miles on them but they just don't have the quality or the comfortable familiarity and they havn't stood the test of time like this one has.

Mad Dog's Response to 123276_Bill's Review

Written on: 24/08/2005

I'm glad you are enjoying your R1. But, Beeman is not a manufacturer, they are simply an importer. Weihrauch/HW is and has always been the producer of the HW80 and the Beeman R1. Only very minor differences between the two.

Pcp4Me's reply to Mad Dog's Comment

Written on: 31/08/2013

Agreed. Beeman to my knowledge never made any of their guns. They just imported them!

BUT, Mr Beeman sure knew quality and value in air guns.

Over the years I owned an R1, C1, and an R9, all in .177 caliber.

The R9 was my favorite, and I had it 16 year before trading it for a pcp. The C1 I had less than a year, and did not particularly like it. The R1 I had for about 9 years, but did not shoot it near as much as the R9.

Simply put, the R9 was much easier to cycle and shoot accurately than the R1. And I killed hundreds or fox and grey squirrels with it, as well as a few rabbits, and many starlings and grackles! When traded it had over 5,000 rounds through it and never needed any other than routine maintenance. Never had to replace any parts or seals. And it was still shooting in the 800 fps range with 7.9 gr chp when traded.

The R1 is an excellent gun, but if I was going to get back into spring guns again, my money would go into another R9.