iRiver H340 Reviews

• Battery Life

iRiver H340 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for iRiver H340

iRiver H340

“Excellent sound quality, flexible player, able to play...”

Written on: 18/11/2008 by blacksunshine (1 review written)

Excellent sound quality, flexible player, able to play multiple codecs...
Overall a great legacy player, may have been the best sounding mp3 player to date.
Well recommend iRiver H340… Read Full Review

iRiver H340

“The iRiver H340 is not as stylish as other MP3 players...”

Written on: 29/09/2008

The iRiver H340 is not as stylish as other MP3 players but a lot more features than most. Big online community, Korean firmware upgrades give extra features. Handy for easy recording of vinyl to MP3 and recordings sound surprisingly good… Read Full Review

iRiver H340

“It's a good MP4 and a great state of an art...”

Written on: 17/07/2008

It's a good MP4 and a great state of an art technology. I would recommanded to anyone who like iRiver product… Read Full Review

iRiver H340

“The iRiver H340 player was my second mp3 player after...”

Written on: 04/06/2007 by alisave (2 reviews written)

The iRiver H340 player was my second mp3 player after Creative Zen. I found that this MP3 player is much superior than Creative's Zen. The sound quality is very excellent. The accessories with this player are of high quality: it comes with Sennheiser headphones, a very good cover, an external microphone, wired remote control and a male-male 3.5mm cable for line-in/out. All these accessories are necessary for any mp3 player.

I still find this player the best. Although it is larger and heavier… Read Full Review

iRiver H340

“Run, run away quickly. I have had my H340 for just...”

Written on: 18/05/2007 by mmem (1 review written)

Run, run away quickly. I have had my H340 for just over a year and so just out of warranty. It went reasonably well for the first 6-8 months, then started freezing, skipping songs, not finding songs, shutting down. It then starting dying a slow painful death and was not recognised by any computer meaning I couldn't get any of my 40gb of data off it. It is now completely cactus. iRiver have been spectacularly avoidant and not one of my many many emails, phone calls has been answered… Read Full Review

Dabmv's Response to 289617_mmem's Review

Written on: 13/05/2014

could have bad luck. mine still works now @ 2014. just replaced batery last year. as per what you describe it was very likely hdd in your case. trying to postulate as standard for this player is very lame however (and the rest of excited reviewers confirm that)

iRiver H340

“I would not recommend this to anyone, I will never...”

Written on: 27/09/2006 by richperfect (1 review written)

I would not recommend this to anyone, I will never purchase an iRiver product again, and I can barely say one good thing about it. I gave it an overall rating of 2 because the sound quality is at least half decent. There is nothing else I can say about it that is good or positive… Read Full Review

Dabmv's Response to richperfect's Review

Written on: 13/05/2014

so you don't like the layout of the buttons and your battery died and your experience with support was bad. that is why you gave just half a star for Features, which are unbeatable even now in 2014! LOL
variety of formats support, sound quality the recording, realtime grabbing to mp3 (up to 192kbps) fom line in or radio. none other player on this planet ever featured usb host (afaik).

you are very lame reviewer. I would rate you 1 out of 5

Richperfect's reply to Dabmv's Comment

Written on: 15/05/2014

That's naturally you choice. We're all free to our own opinions

Just in case you cared, I bought a Creative Zen afterwards I that was infinitely better. I like the layout, I found the battery life excellent, the screen resolution was also excellent and it supported all the formats I wanted for media player.Given I wrote this 5 years ago, you'll have to forgive me for not remembering the full and exact reasons why I gave the ratings I did. But thanks for 1 out 5 because I have different opinion to you

iRiver H340

“The iRiver H340 is, in many ways, a superb player...”

Written on: 05/04/2006 by Slabbers (1 review written)

The iRiver H340 is, in many ways, a superb player which I would wholeheartedly recommend in most departments, but with one HUGE reservation. Its shortcomings in navigating a large collection are so dire, I can only assume those who have had no problem with it only have a few tracks, a very limited number of different albums and artist, or the patience of a saint (and yes I do know how to use it properly!). The problem is that there is no fast scroll mechanism, and the scroll speed is slow to… Read Full Review

iRiver H340

“I wanted an MP3 player and basically got more than I...”

Written on: 23/02/2006 by mancunianmark (1 review written)

I wanted an MP3 player and basically got more than I bargained for. iRiver H340 plays full length movies!!!
Everyone raves on about Ipods but all my wife's one does is annoy me in it's cumbersome useage.
I have had up to 9200 files (36 Gb) loaded onto my H340 with no problems. The only time I had a problem was when I switched on the indexing, it too so long (2 hours to boots up) that I haven't used it since. The player has a very powerful microphone that I use for record my guitar and… Read Full Review

iRiver H340

“The iRiver H340 is the best MP3 player on the market....”

Written on: 23/11/2005 by runrig (1 review written)

The iRiver H340 is the best MP3 player on the market. I have had no problems with it at all… Read Full Review

iRiver H340

“The iRiver H340 is my first MP3 player and I have to...”

Written on: 31/05/2005 by neashtall (1 review written)

The iRiver H340 is my first MP3 player and I have to say it is very good compared to what I have seen from my friends iPod and Creative players. The quality and sheer sound far exceed those other well advertised machines.
It couldn't be any easier than a simple drag and drop of an MP3 to your iRiver H340 which is recognised as a portable device by windows XP..
Well worth the money and the added features of a radio, text viewer and radio is an added bonus.
With it's whopping 40GB HDD and the… Read Full Review

Martin Ohanlon's Response to neashtall's Review

Written on: 31/08/2005

New Firmware upgrade allows video playback!
<br>all be it at 10 frames/sec and divx format, but hey you didnt know you were getting a moive player when you bought it! :)

iRiver H340

“The iRiver H340 is by far the most frustrating piece...”

Written on: 23/04/2005 by warbyr (1 review written)

The iRiver H340 is by far the most frustrating piece of junk I have ever had the misfortune to buy.
It is slow to navigate through tracks...In a race with an iPod it took the iPod 6 seconds to scroll through 1029 tracks.. The H340 didn't get passed the letter A in that time!!!!
Can't work out how to play an album in the track order on the CD, the H340 always plays back alphabetically... Dark Side Of the Moon in alphabetical order....I don't think so!!!
If you want my advice...
DON'T BUY… Read Full Review

Camelot's Response to 190461_warbyr's Review

Written on: 15/07/2005

I agree, for God sake don't buy one. It's a nightmare to use, buy an Ipod. Mine is so clumsy and complicated, if you are ver technical maybe, otherwise don't bother

Wadepayne's Response to 190461_warbyr's Review

Written on: 23/12/2005

Hello, I had an ipod and found it to be just like all of your comments and the battery was not worth nothing. I found the iriver a dream to use and have since bought another for a present as it was so good!

218593_Kifferj's Response to 190461_warbyr's Review

Written on: 27/11/2005

Now it all depends on what you want
<br> <br>Apple iPod
<br>
<br>Apple iPod is slimmer, much more easier to use and it's designing is nice. The iPod also has no extras included, such as a dock, A/V cables, or a power adapter; poor battery life for video; slight delay when playing video; no guarantee that your non-iTunes Music Store video will play on an iPod, even after using converted third-party software.
<br>iRiver H340
<br>
<br>- a full usb mass-storage support ( OS independent : works on MacOS , Linux , Windows. No drivers : works from your PC, a frend's PC, your office's PC, without the install CD )
<br>- usb host facility ( transfer pic or videos from your camera, or firends's MP3 player to the player without PC )
<br>- color display for music and other (pics, txt files )
<br>- firmware upgrade ( new formats and features ) support
<br>- very honest transfer rate ( 2.8Mb / s )
<br>- a large palette of supported audio and image formats
<br>- but slight learning curve; photos load slowly; no simultaneous photo and music playback; controls can be confusing at first; slow start-up. Which isnt that bad really compared to the iPods downsides
<br>Honestly i would choose the iRiver H340

Vocrobot's Response to 190461_warbyr's Review

Written on: 07/11/2005

Im am no tech expert, but the Iriver is not difficult to use.
<br>
<br>If you rip your music using WM, it will save it onto your HD as an album, just drag and drop it to the Iriver.
<br>
<br>When you press the NAVI key you get the album folder and all the tracks in the correct order. This is the first mp3 player I have owned so I have no experience of any other, and it aint that difficult and the sound quality is brilliant.
<br>
<br>And most important is is rock solid, not like these flimsy ipod nanos that people have snapped in half just by putting them in their pocket.

iRiver H340

“I have an iRiver H340 mp3 player and I am very...”

Written on: 28/01/2005 by histeria36 (1 review written)

I have an iRiver H340 mp3 player and I am very satisfied with my purchase. it's easy to add and customise your files. Also the firmware updates that you get from the iRiver global website alows you to add some more features to an already jam packed piece of equipement. Just the other month I got the latest version which allowed me to watch movies, I was very pleased about that.

Where I think the iPod is better is with the design, the Hseries its too big and bulky and its harder to put into… Read Full Review

iRiver H340

“The iRiver H340 is my first portable digital music...”

Written on: 09/01/2005 by simes69 (5 reviews written)

The iRiver H340 is my first portable digital music player - I have been waiting for some years for the technology to mature and was looking forward to entering the brave new world of digital music.

Your appreciation of this device will depend solely upon your expectation. I was expecting to be able to plug the device into my PC, download and synchronise the music files on the device and on my computer, easily create playlists to suit my mood and take them with me, and browse the music on the… Read Full Review

Silverstone's Response to simes69's Review

Written on: 15/03/2005

It does have a database you just didn't know how to use it I guess. You can search by genre, artist, album, title, or folder. It's play for sure compatible and CAN BE connected to media players. Radio reception I find is very good without an antenna, did you set your region? A remote is available it came ith the old ihp-series but since this player is cheaper it doesn't come with a remote but is available for a very good price. Online support by iriveramerica.com is very good you have to set up a "black-box" and you can send requests and they come back to you right away. There you can also download new firmware. So, basically all your bad points...don't exist. Really good player. Best HD-player available.

Gnasher's Response to simes69's Review

Written on: 15/08/2006

Durrr, what could possibly be confusing or frustrating about using windows explorer to drag and drop files onto the iriver? Not exactly difficult except maybe for IT professionals? Playlists can be made simply by dragging whatever songs you want into a folder and loading it on.
<br/>
<br/>The iRiver is most useful as a hard drive. It can store any type of file. It ALSO plays music. You have the option of using rubbish mp3s or you can encrypt wav files so you at least have a choice of a decent sound format. Not only that, but you can stream audio and video content directly into it! There is nothing else available that can do this so it stuffs the ipod.
<br/>
<br/>I am a professional musician and graphic designer and this is one of the most crucial bits of kit I have. I can transport massive amounts of data across platforms easily with no fuss and I've still got buckets of space for a shedload of tunes. Who cares that it takes a few seconds to scroll through your collection? Simply not important as far as I'm concerned. Even filling it up to begin with is a doddle. Simply dump your entire iTunes folder (already organised into artists, albums and songs) onto the iRiver. By importing albums from CDs using something like iTunes to your computers hard drive it automatically creates correct encryption addresses for the iRiver file system to read. This way it will play albums in the proper order. ITS EASY!
<br/>
<br/>If all you want to do is be a walking apple advert and listen to inferior sound quality mp3s then buy an ipod like all the other sheep, good luck when it goes wrong! They are flimsy, poorly made and do not even compare in terms of functionality. The iRiver is by far the greatest tool on the market for multimedia storage and playback.
<br/>COME JOIN US!

Camelot's Response to simes69's Review

Written on: 15/07/2005

Spot on

Kopw's Response to simes69's Review

Written on: 25/04/2005

Simes, 10 years IT experience? I figured it out the day I took it out of the box (with no IT experience). It is not difficult. 3 months to get your remote is not an iRiver issue, they are available, and can be shipped overnight from many reputable retailers. What really are your issues with it?

190461_Warbyr's Response to simes69's Review

Written on: 23/04/2005

Here Here...
Its an awful piece of junk. DONT BUY ONE!!

Simes69's Response to simes69's Review

Written on: 20/03/2005

Agreed that some of the points in my review are incorrect - I subsequently learnt how to do those things. However, the fact that I couldn't fathom it out at the time of writing does say something about the complexity and lack of documentation. I did work out how to activate the ID3 tag database within the player and am happy with that - I can now browse by genres if I wish. It took me 3 months to acquire a remote control - it arrived just this weekend. I still can't synchronize it, but research on the Web has thrown a couple of good software products that come close, e.g. iRivium from RedChair.

iRiver H340

“After much deliberation and dwelling upon the I-Pod,...”

Written on: 09/11/2004 by tickel (1 review written)

After much deliberation and dwelling upon the I-Pod, and only hearing negative comments from owners I was guided towards the iRiver H340 portable MP3 player. Now having owned the HD340 for nearly 3 months Im more than happy with it and have road tested it on lengthy bus journeys, you get the full 8 hours from the battery life and thats without the battery back up.
The photo storage is fairly usefull too, depends on how you want to use the I-River.
The radio is pretty naff, hard to get a clear… Read Full Review