Sansui AU 7900 Reviews

• Sound Quality

Sansui AU 7900 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sansui AU 7900

Sansui AU 7900

“SALVE HO UN SANSUI AU 7700,COMPRATO A 80EURO E UN...”

Written on: 10/02/2011 by NOCCIOLA64 (1 review written)

SALVE HO UN SANSUI AU 7700,COMPRATO A 80EURO E UN DECK,PARI A 140EURO,DICO CHE QUESTO 7700,E UN MOSTRO,ED E COSTRUITO EGREGGIAMENTE,O PURE ALTRI,AU-D11,AU 717,G9000,AU-X901,MA IL 7700 LI BATTE DECISAMENTE,SONO CERTO CHE MI DURERA TUTTA LA MIA VITA NON E MAI STATO RIPARATO E ANCORA OGGI SUONA DA DIO,A GLI AMP, DI UNA VOLTA CHIEDO SCUSA I SANSUI..........MEDITATE POPOLO,SPERO CHE SANSUI RITORNI… Read Full Review

“great item i love it”

Written on: 03/04/2010 by tooriscool (10 reviews written)

great item i love it… Read Full Review

Sansui AU 7900

“Bought in 1974 my AU2900 has now reached the end of...”

Written on: 13/04/2009

Bought in 1974 my AU2900 has now reached the end of its life. At the time they were regarded as a cheap entry into HIFI and the sound quality, until it recently developed a hideous crackle, was very good. It's a shame that many consumer electronics nowadays seem to have such a short life span, lack simplicity and don't have the timeless clean design… Read Full Review

Sansui AU 7900

“I bought the Au7900 new I think in 1975. I searched...”

Written on: 08/12/2008

I bought the Au7900 new I think in 1975. I searched the market carefully and fell in love with it. I used to be a dj and took the unit out to all kinds of parties. It was a real work horse and never let me down.
I need to find someone in Toronto who fixes these things?… Read Full Review

Sansui AU 7900

“I am a big fan of music. I have Thiel c 2.2...”

Written on: 04/10/2008 by Greg Dugan (1 review written)

I am a big fan of music. I have Thiel c 2.2 floorstanders that really match the amp well. I also have a Arcam FMJ 27A with purist interconnects. My Boston acoustic subwoofer is pluged in to the external amp connects. I have it turned down at only 50 hz because bass is not a issue with the 7900. The sub gives it a little warmer feel. The phono amp is great for my Thorens TD 115 MK 2 turntable. If you surround the Sansui AU 7900 with other good components, your music collection will sound… Read Full Review

Sansui AU 7900

“Excellent sound quality and very durable. Bought my...”

Written on: 16/04/2008 by steve oneill (1 review written)

Excellent sound quality and very durable. Bought my Sansui AU 7900 in 1975. Has been used to power home stereo systems, dances at school gymnasiums, and more recently, complete home entertainment systems. I've blown through a half dozen pairs of speakers from Pro Linear to Bose 501's and the amp refuses to die. I've had a few minor repairs performed and the repair shops love to work on it. Will probably have it for another 30 years… Read Full Review

Sansui AU 7900

“If you have one of these - don't get rid of it! They...”

Written on: 15/01/2008

If you have one of these - don't get rid of it! They are fantastic! If you don't have one, go out and buy 1! these amplifiers are over 30 years old and put the new gear to shame...the sound quality, detail, separation is fantastic....you'll have to spend many thousands to come close… Read Full Review

Sansui AU 7900

“It is a pleasure to use the Sansui AU 7900 amplifier...”

Written on: 09/03/2007 by Jeroensel (1 review written)

It is a pleasure to use the Sansui AU 7900 amplifier every day!!!!!… Read Full Review

Sansui AU 7900

“The Sansui AU 7900 is the best amplifier ever made!...”

Written on: 14/01/2005 by ratjetoes (1 review written)

The Sansui AU 7900 is the best amplifier ever made! Mine still works just fine every single day for almost 30 years now, no problems whatsoever... I also have the tu-5900 tuner which is so sensitive I can receive radio signals from Russia, US and other far away countries(my Sansui lives in Holland). I recommend Sansui high-end equipment to all REAL music freaks… Read Full Review

Sansui AU 7900

“If you can find a Sansui AU 7900 in good working...”

Written on: 07/11/2004 by wilmeland (1 review written)

If you can find a Sansui AU 7900 in good working order, get it. (See Good Points)… Read Full Review

Sansui AU 7900

“I was looking for an amp about a year ago and came...”

Written on: 29/03/2003 by PHemp. (1 review written)

I was looking for an amp about a year ago and came across this beauty at a used-audio market.(For 150 euro it was quite a steal anyway). This little monster is great.

Build :
It's built and weighs like a tank. At the back there is a large heatsink (kind of rough though)the inputs/outputs and speaker posts facing up. The knobs are great to look and operate (no plastic here) and the overall looks with the black fascia is great. Minor complaint, the power cord is fixed and could be better… Read Full Review

Mike Dinsmore.'s Response to PHemp.'s Review

Written on: 31/03/2003

I also have the Sansui AU5900 AMP which is Identical with Aprox. 55 Watts RMS ( Very Conservative ) and it Sounds Incredible. My Older Speakers ( ADC and ALTEC ) have a Warmer Sound than the new Tweeters ( KLH ) which are Clean but a Little Bright ( Just EQ )Nothing Short of Fantastic Sounding

87373_Ben7.'s Response to PHemp.'s Review

Written on: 09/04/2003

I love mine too. I believe the vintage is circa 1978 and the power output for the AU-7900 is rated at 75w/channel. This, I'm told, is conservative.
<br>
<br>I bought mine in 1989 for $85, if memory serves. I've run it virtually 24/7 ever since then, for radio, CD, tape, TV, and now downloaded audio from the net. It's as good as ever. I should note that I don't push the unit anywhere near its capacity in terms of volume, though.
<br>
<br>The controls are very, very high quality, but they are mechanical and need to be cleaned once in a while if exposed to dust. And there is no remote control.
<br>
<br>I can now well afford to buy a new unit, but apparently this is as good or better than modern equipment.

Mark37.'s Response to PHemp.'s Review

Written on: 02/04/2003

I too own an AU 5900 (similar to 7900) and this baby rocks!
<br>As I can`t stand actual Digital surround A/V amps on the market (too poor sound), I`m planning soon to test a technic SH-AC500D digital surround processor to drive the 3 sansui amps that I own; the AU-5900 for the main front, an AU-5500 for the center and extra woofer (if needed), and an AU-2200 for the surround speakers. I can`t wait to see the result :-)

Sansui AU 7900

“After listening to an AU 9900 a friend of mine had as...”

Written on: 17/01/2003 by Andrea. (1 review written)

After listening to an AU 9900 a friend of mine had as a present from his father-in-law (he was renewing his hi-fi system with something more WAF (wife-acceptance-factor) friendly ),I rediscovered the quality and the sound of these once renowned amplifiers (my first one was an AU101).Pity they don't exist anymore! I tracked down-via Ebay-a couple of Ca-Ba2000 (same age as the 7900 and 9900).They sound superb as they look. Not a scratch from switches or knobs, made of perfectly machined… Read Full Review

Z747Pilot.'s Response to 66143_Andrea.'s Review

Written on: 30/05/2003

I can't agree with you more, I have one that I bought oversees thirty years ago, I have changed many other amplifiers, but this one is my love and is not going anywhere.

Sansui AU 7900

“Sansui AU-7900 amp(1977): Sounds great standing still....”

Written on: 11/11/2002 by bernard. (1 review written)

Sansui AU-7900 amp(1977): Sounds great standing still. The build quality of these units is outstanding. They were so over-engineered, it is no wonder that so many are still working today, 25 years after production. This 80 watt per channel I bought this amp in 1977 with tuner TU7900 (ca.1800 Euro new) and works still today, year after year. (one little repair 3 years ago) Works really nice with the British speakers B&W. Although this amp has a multitude of tone controls and filters, which are… Read Full Review

Sansui AU 7900

“Sansui AU-7900 amp(1978): Sounds great standing still....”

Written on: 24/03/2002 by James Walker. (1 review written)

Sansui AU-7900 amp(1978): Sounds great standing still. Just looking at it off can inspire me. Like looking at a Porsche or a Ferrari. The Sansui hi-fi circa 1977-1979 represents one of the high points of Japanese consumer electronics engineering. The build quality of these units is outstanding. They were so over-engineered, it is little wonder that so many are still working today, 24 years after production. This 75 watt per channel amp was the successor to the even more beautiful looking, 54… Read Full Review

Dianacat.'s Response to James Walker.'s Review

Written on: 01/09/2002

have any one ever heard of the 2002 products of sansui "ES-9010FD"?

Rpgelectronics's Response to James Walker.'s Review

Written on: 26/07/2004

I entertained on the cruise ships out of Sydney in the late 70's. At the time I owned a Sansui AU-666 which my girlfriend (now wife) had bought in Japan as an export model. I cruised to Fiji and became friendly with the Sansui dealer, Prabu Bros. On one of my first trips I purchased a Sansui Open Reel deck which was absolutely magnificent. I sold it to a friend and he still has it.
<br>Anyway, on one of my later trips to Fiji I bought the AU-20000, brand new in the carton. I remember very clearly how excited I was to look at this beautiful piece of art. I paid about AUS$325 for it and spent the next 10 days on the ship sitting in my cabin just admiring it. The Japanese certainly built these units with so much pride. Ironic how the word "pride" no longer exists in most manufacturers vocabulary. I kept the AU-20000 for about 10 years and on another trip to Fiji bought the Kenwood KA-907 (150 watts per side)which I still own and keep as a collectors piece. Both are beautiful amps but the Kenwood a little more superior in performance. After the club circuit collapsed I took a course on Electronics and now operate a very successful repair and sales business. I have here at the shop an AU-7900 and an AU-101. They all bring back wonderful memories.
<br>Rob. RPG Electronics, Sydney.

Padons's Response to James Walker.'s Review

Written on: 18/12/2003

I purchased a Sansui AU-11000 and TU-9900 while visiting the Far East in 1976. They continue to be the heart and soul of my stereo system. Teamed with a pair of Dalquist DQ-10's and a single Dalquist DQ-1 subwoofer, the AU-11000 has performed flawlessly for more than a quarter of a century! Considering the engineering behind and construction of the AU-11000, it will be amplifing sounds for another generation.

Georgekingcott's Response to James Walker.'s Review

Written on: 17/12/2003

I AM HAPPY TO SAY THAT I OWN THE AU-7700. GOT THIS AMP GIVEN TO ME TO BE REPAIRED,NO SOUND ON LEFT CHANEL.LOVED IT SO MUCH THAT I PURCHASED THE AMP FROM THE OWNER. I STILL CAN GET THE OUTPUTS FORE THE AMP TO DAY. PLUS MANY OTHER SANSUI PARTS TO KEEP THIS OLD GIRL RUNNING.EMAIL ME AT gkingcott@hotmail .com if you need parts for your au-7700 AWESOME AMP.

76170_Brett.'s Response to James Walker.'s Review

Written on: 27/02/2003

Most accurate review - I have an AU 20000 "Holy Grail" that I bought new in August of 1978. It is built like an M1A1 Tank; it has never missed a beat and I think it will outlast me. A truly great piece of equipment that was a bargain to boot. I now have it on display in my "classics" room, and am looking for a matching tuner, like a TU-9900.

62987_Rudy.'s Response to James Walker.'s Review

Written on: 06/01/2003

Yes! This was spoken directly into my heart. I bought the AU-7700 in 1975 in the US and when I saw this beauty the first time - I was in love on the spot! And - would you imagine - I have it still in use here in Germany(however, since the weekend, there is no sound anymore from the left speaker and I feel very sad about it). I´ll take it to the repair people but they gave already very little hope. If I have to get rid of this amplifier, that´ll be a bad day. There are a lot of valuable remembrances with this beautiful piece of perfect engineering.
Rudy

Sansui AU 7900

“This Sansui amp is the worst i've ever used. how can...”

Written on: 07/11/2001 by Bon Jon Bovi. (1 review written)

This Sansui amp is the worst i've ever used. how can something from 1977 or wahtever be any good at all and yes i do have one. It always cuts out on me. I hate it… Read Full Review

53732_Tomc.'s Response to Bon Jon Bovi.'s Review

Written on: 26/11/2002

Can this reviewer imagine someone reviewing hifi items a/v receivers for example, 25 years old? I don't think so. Largely because that plastic junk will be filling landfills somewhere in 5 years at best. If the reviewer wants to make an honest appraisal of classic Sansui 70's amps he should start with one in good repair. At the very least clean the switches with de-oxit or equivalent. The transformer alone in my au9900a integrated amp probably weighs more than my daughter's entire a/v receiver. I've been using it about 10 hours a week for the last 25 years but I keep it running. I change the oil in the car too or I might be off to another forum complaining about how the car won't run right.

Franimal007's Response to Bon Jon Bovi.'s Review

Written on: 07/09/2003

Hmmm I bought one new and the biggest mistake was selling it on ebay! I just bought another one and the sound is great....just as good as my orignal one. I got one question do you want to sell it?

Tessdog.'s Response to Bon Jon Bovi.'s Review

Written on: 29/11/2002

I just bought an AU-7900, I have the same problem with it cutting out, did you get it fixed?. I do like the sound quality and it's filters, very cool looking.

Sansui AU 7900

“It is pure power by any standard. The sound is rich,...”

Written on: 14/03/2001 by bigsexxyy. (1 review written)

It is pure power by any standard. The sound is rich, power is plentyful . It is a music lovers dream !!!
The Sansui G-7500 was manufactured somewhere between 1970-73.

Does anyone else out there have or know about the Sansui G-7500 ? Anyone with any info please feel free to drop me a line… Read Full Review

Yellow Trash.'s Response to bigsexxyy.'s Review

Written on: 14/12/2001

I own a G-7500, I just got it, I have no clue where to start on it. Can you help me? Nipster10@hotmail.com

92554_Fidel.'s Response to bigsexxyy.'s Review

Written on: 27/04/2003

My Sansui G-7500 sounds terrific, sounds a little better than a G-6700 I also own that is rated at 90 Watts RMS like the G-7500. Both sound better than my model 7 and way better than the G-9700 I wish I had never bought. My G-7500 has a production date sticker on the inside of the face panel that reads January 1984, so although they were supposed to be made in 1978, production must have continued for some time.

Sansui AU 7900

“Beautiful design , great amplifier , very warm sound. ”

Written on: 13/02/2001 by avouts. (1 review written)

Beautiful design , great amplifier , very warm sound.
This model works every day from 1977 without problem.
Unbelievable !!!… Read Full Review

“see above.”

Written on: 21/10/2000 by andres von hildebrand. (1 review written)

see above… Read Full Review

Sansui AU 7900

“This is a great amplifier,from a decade ago.. it...”

Written on: 23/03/2000 by me. (1 review written)

This is a great amplifier,from a decade ago.. it deserves honorable mention 80w RMS P-C Great power amp,flat,clear,and powerful.. I love mine,especialy after the Mods Very good!… Read Full Review