Canon EOS 300D Reviews

Summary

6.5 Megapixel
Slr/professional

Camera Resolution: 6.5 Megapixel
Image Resolutions: 3072 x 20482048 x 13601536 x 1024
Exposure Control
Shutter Speed: 30 - 1/4000 sec
White Balance: AutoManualDaylight / Sunny (Preset)Fluorescent (Preset)Tungsten (Preset)Shade (Preset)Overcast (Preset)Flash (Preset)
Frames Per Second: 2.5 Frames
Storage
Memory Type: CompactFlash Card Type ICompactFlash Card Type II
Compression Modes: FineNormalUncompressed
Compression Type: JPEGRaw Image
File Size (High Res.): 7 MB (18 images on 128MB card)
File Size (Low Res.): 0.9 MB (about 142 images on 128MB card)
Flash
Built-in Microphone: Without Built-in Microphone
Built-in Speaker: Without Built-in Speaker
Tripod Mount: With Tripod Mount
System Requirements
Operating System: Apple Mac OS 9Apple Mac OS XMicrosoft Windows 2000Microsoft Windows 98SEMicrosoft Windows MEMicrosoft Windows XP Home EditionMicrosoft Windows XP Professional
Other
Height: 9.9 cm
Width: 14.2 cm
Depth: 7.4 cm
Weight: 0.6 kg
Included Accessories: SoftwareUSB CableVideo CableNeck StrapLithium BatteryBattery Charger
Release Date: 20 August, 2003

Canon EOS 300D

“I bought the Canon 300d camera because it was...”

Written on: 13/02/2011 by teluk (26 reviews written)

I bought the Canon 300d camera because it was recommended for astrophotography.
I have had excellent results with this camera and now I hardly ever use my pocket digital camera.
It has fully automatic settings just like a pocket digital so anyone who just wants to point and shoot has this option, (macro, landscape, portrait, low light etc.)
I am not a professional photographer but the results I have achieved using manual setting have been very pleasing, e.g. using the TV (time value) on a… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“I bought my Canon 300D in march 2005. It has been...”

Written on: 17/12/2009 by binio (53 reviews written)

I bought my Canon 300D in march 2005. It has been fantastic camera since then delivering great performance on daily basis. I used it for portrait, HDR, night shots and it just did the job. It may feel bit outdated these days as new models comes with massive features and ISO range but if you know the rules of photography 300D will not let you down. Battery life is outstanding and I never had to carry extra battery or grip. Only thing I changes was lens which was too basic and built quality was… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“Canon EOS 300D is an excellent Brand, which has never...”

Written on: 05/08/2009

Canon EOS 300D is an excellent Brand, which has never failed me. Easy to choose to choose point and shot or to be more creative. Menu and functions are excellent and the documentation from Canon is as to be expected very clear and easy to refer to. Camera is light and simple to use when handed over to someone else to use on your behalf. Would I trust spending my money on this. You bet!… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“Canon is a one or the major company's who makes DSLR's...”

Written on: 23/04/2009 by nikonian (11 reviews written)

Canon is a one or the major company's who makes DSLR's and Compact Camera's. Don't think owe this is just another 6MP camera.. it is a tool for a craftsmen… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“The Canon Eos 300D aka Kiss Or Digital Rebel is...”

Written on: 21/04/2009 by nikonian (11 reviews written)

The Canon Eos 300D aka Kiss Or Digital Rebel is perhaps now (2009) a outdated camera , but that doesn't mean it is capable of good results.

First a WARNING :
My first "rebel" had a HACKED firmware when bought, the second one it's successor is still and will be still using a original firmware , why because the hacked firmware had so many new options ? you mihgt ask.. yes there are more options but more posibilites doesn't necessairily turn out to better pictures!

so my advise is stay on the… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“The Canon EOS 300D is a straightforward camera without...”

Written on: 12/03/2008 by kellybear (1 review written)

The Canon EOS 300D is a straightforward camera without any gimics. Easy to change settings from full auto to full manual. The body is tough and has survived a lot of abuse on jeep floors, elephant back and river trips. In the desert I covered the top with a white cloth to prevent overheating. It gives sharp photos which are as good as the IS710 which I also use. I have no plans to change to a more update camera… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Canon EOS 300D

“Warning: This is an advice not to buy Canon products,...”

Written on: 26/11/2006 by rodrigo (1 review written)

Warning: This is an advice not to buy Canon products, specially digital cameras.

In May 2006 I bought a digital camera, model Canon EOS 30OD in Best Buy. It lasted just a week, it simply turned off, so I took it back to the Canon Factory Service. After four long months they gave me back a camera with a different serial number.
To my increasing surprise it lasted again one week. Then, I took it to an authorized technical service shop, they told me this camera was manipulated, burned and… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“I had my Canon EOS 300D digital camera for two years...”

Written on: 10/12/2005 by daveppp (2 reviews written)

I had my Canon EOS 300D digital camera for two years now, and I can't believe how much money it has saved me (and made me). It is a brilliant piece of kit if you get rid of the horrid 18-55mm lens it comes with. (I use mine with the new Sigma 18-200). The camera has a nice feel to it, even with the BG-E1 grip. The menu system is nice and easy, as are the scroll buttons. The display is clear and the histogram/info is helpful. The plastic body is a worry and I would hate to drop it, and the… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“I bought my Canon EOS 300D digital camera in June this...”

Written on: 07/10/2005 by dougsinnott (4 reviews written)

I bought my Canon EOS 300D digital camera in June this year, and I have found it a worthy successor to previous Canon film cameras (EOS 50E and EOS 100), with all the main features of those cameras, but all the advantages of digital.

With regards to the sometimes criticised construction, it seems a good solid camera to me, and is of similar construction to my EOS 100, and it should last as long as any other modern camera.

The missing custom functions (flash compensation, and mirror lock-up… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“I bought one of the first 300d's in Scotland (Jessops...”

Written on: 11/06/2005 by mistwalker (2 reviews written)

I bought one of the first 300d's in Scotland (Jessops in Glasgow) so that's almost two years ago. In that time it's been used, semi-professionally, for portraits, dog shows, cheque presentations and glamour shoots both in the UK and abroad, in studios and on location. I have made enlargements up to A3 (shot on RAW) and they look great! Yes, the build quality is not as good as my EOS 3 or 1n (er, obviously) but as long as you treat it with a bit of respect, it copes admirably.
The quality of the… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“Most of the other reviewers have covered all that...”

Written on: 09/04/2005 by Dennis01 (2 reviews written)

Most of the other reviewers have covered all that needs to be said. I note that the Nikon D70 gets a better overall review in Digital Photo Magazine but when you look at the important comparisons such as picture quality, etc. the Canon beats the D70 in those categories. At the end of the day it is the quality of the photo that I am after. After a few weeks of shooting fine quality jpegs I did some reading on RAW format and moved over. Initially used Photoshop Camera Raw but didn't see the… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“I bought my 300D almost exactly a year ago and have...”

Written on: 17/03/2005 by TexInVienna (1 review written)

I bought my 300D almost exactly a year ago and have taken more than 10,000 pictures with it, since. I love my camera, but a couple of weeks ago, I started getting ERR 99 while using my 18-55mm "kit" lens.

Unsatisfied with the information about this error that I found on the 'net, I did my own research, and wrote an article summarizing some of the possible causes and resolutions of the error.

I ended up taking the camera to my local Canon service center, 1 day before my warranty ran out! I… Read Full Review

Rfc1795's Response to TexInVienna's Review

Written on: 25/04/2005

Hi .. thanks, some good information you've got there... I have the 300D and have taken close on 9000 images. I've had the err99 two or three times before. This occured around my 2000 and 3000 image range and have not had it for ages. The only thing I did to fix this was switch off, remove lens, put lens back on and power on. This always fixed it so it could have just been my contacts dirty or not not making proper contact.
<br>I only own Canon lenses if thats any help.
<br>Good luck with your investigation and prognosis, hopefully Canon sort it out for you :-)

Canon EOS 300D

“I have owned the Canon EOS 300D for a while now. The...”

Written on: 04/03/2005 by Mangoeater2 (1 review written)

I have owned the Canon EOS 300D for a while now. The various white balance and ISO settings have combined to make a very accurate and versatile camera (as well as the exposure lock button). The battery grip gives a much better feel to the camera (I have large hands) as well as doubling the battery life (2 batteries). I use 1 GB SD disks, so I can shoot RAW all day long or get around 600+ photos in Fine Medium format (more than enough for great 7 x 5 prints).

My only complaint with this camera… Read Full Review

Dougsinnott's Response to Mangoeater2's Review

Written on: 07/10/2005

As regards lack of flash exposure compensation on the 300d, I bought a software update off the Internet for about £15, which transferred some of the 10d's custum functions, which include flash compensation and mirror lock-up.
<br>An excellent buy!
<br>Doug Sinnott

Canon EOS 300D

“Looked around for a DSLR for about 12 months now, ever...”

Written on: 11/10/2004 by MrRee (15 reviews written)

Looked around for a DSLR for about 12 months now, ever since the Canon EOS300D shook the photographic world with a £999 DSLR Camera.

Looked at the 10D, 20D, Nikon D70 and still came back to the EOS300D - Reason? - Simple really, VALUE!! The 300D (with 18-55 Lens) I bought cost me £615! A better photographic bargain you will not find (at the current time!)

At the end of the day you need to look at what you want and will use in terms of features (the EOS300D lacks some advanced features) of the… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“Canon EOS 300D - Overall this was a good buy. Its my...”

Written on: 11/09/2004 by jcs (9 reviews written)

Canon EOS 300D - Overall this was a good buy. Its my first SLR. So far I have taken 50 plus photos and NO err 99.
Ok, I read about the err 99 after I made the purchase from ebay and I was a bit nervous that it would happen to my camera. The first thing my wife did was take out the manual and read it. It first tells you to only use Canon lenses, how to properly charge the battery (yes there is a wrong way which can cause err reading in your camera). How to climatize the camera when you… Read Full Review

Jcs's Response to jcs's Review

Written on: 26/11/2004

It's November 26th, and I have had the camera since September. Took over 300 photos, used it in my last vacation and even bought a fish eye for a 180 degree shot. Still no err and no problems at all. Of course I didn't attach a Sigma lens to it, just stuck to the Canon lens. No regrets.

Anarchy's Response to jcs's Review

Written on: 22/12/2004

Using the 300D for wedding photo's did 14 weddings with the 300D with +-500 per wedding.
<br>
<br>Had no problems with it.
<br>
<br>Tried a sigma 70-300 lens with the camera, that gave err99, but found out someone droped the lens and the lens mounting was broken and that is why it gave err99.

Canon EOS 300D

“Great quality, and nothing compares to the flexibility...”

Written on: 28/08/2004 by David64 (1 review written)

Great quality, and nothing compares to the flexibility of an SLR - especially being used to film-SLRs. I've used (not owned) Canon pro-quality digital SLRs and the 300D build is not in the same league, but if you are careful with your cameras, you should have no problems. I thought the 18-55mm lens was a bit slack, particularly on chromatic aberration, but it keeps the price down, and there is the option of other EOS compatible lenses. It's also worth buying a second battery (be warned - not… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“I have used SLR's for many years and very much enjoyed...”

Written on: 23/08/2004 by RickyG (2 reviews written)

I have used SLR's for many years and very much enjoyed using them. The Canon EOS 300D is an excellent camera for both the novice and hardened user. In fully auto mode, my wife can take good pictures with the ease of a compact camera, but its manual features allow me to experiment to my heart's content.
Picture quality is superb and with the included software and PictBridge capability, it is an extremely versatile camera that gives professioanl results. It is also very fast and stops even the… Read Full Review

Waltonofwelton's Response to RickyG's Review

Written on: 26/08/2004

A good review that gives information that is easy to understand and gives a clear guide to the product capabilities and requirements.

Canon EOS 300D

“For the money the Canon EOS 300D is hard to beat,...”

Written on: 01/07/2004 by seaking (2 reviews written)

For the money the Canon EOS 300D is hard to beat, especially for those with an existing set of EOS lenses. Pop in a large card or microdrive, and you can shoot away for ages with the high capacity rechargeable batteries. After 8 months I remain extremely impressed by the image quality in all sorts of circumstances, the highly responsive shutter and the accuracy of the auto white balance and the autofocus. It has a lot of 'autobracketing' tricks, will take up to 4 shots at high speed and is so… Read Full Review

Canon EOS 300D

“Since the time I purchased my first Canon digital...”

Written on: 10/04/2004 by mrgadget (4 reviews written)

Since the time I purchased my first Canon digital camera (A20), I have dreamt of getting a digital SLR. Digital cameras are great but nothing compares to the quality and depth one can achieve via a SLR. However when you couple both together you theoretically should have a camera that takes great shots, but also allows you to delete and view on the fly without having to process film! The Canon EOS 300D Digital Camera does just this. I've waited for over a year for the price to come down and… Read Full Review

Jcs's Response to mrgadget's Review

Written on: 30/08/2004

I just bought my camera. Have you yet experienced any err 99. It comes up a lot on the reviews for this camera. I hope I made the best choice. I paid $800 for mine.