SMK S2 .177 Reviews

SMK S2 .177 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for SMK S2 .177

SMK S2 .177
SMK S2 .177

“Great pistol if you like working on guns.”

Written on: 14/06/2012 by Gamekeeper48 (3 reviews written)

I bought the S2 because it reminded me of the Slavia pistols of my youth. Being cheap and Chinese ( the pistol not me) I knew it would require a bit of TLC to get it shooting well. The trigger needed a lot of pressure, which was easy to fix with a little filing on the sear. The sights are awful and were of no use because the barrel needs recrowning, the pellets were flying way high and to the right, so my next job is to take a drill, a brass screw and some valve grinding paste and try to… Read Full Review

“im not an ameature shooter i have 2 rifles a 177...”

Written on: 13/12/2009

im not an ameature shooter i have 2 rifles a 177 weairauch and a bsa lightenin but im looking for a pistol for shooting rats and mice and i was wondering would you reccomend this gun please reply… Read Full Review

The Lad In The Flat Cap's Comment

Written on: 08/05/2010

The s2 is ok it looks ok fires ok but is a bit inacurate and also a tad hard to cock intil you get used to it i have the .22 version (around 30 pounds) and i am happy.
<br/>but if i were you i would look online or go to you local gun shop!
<br/>May i also recomend the Rat Sniper Co2 .22 Air Rifle (QB78).

“My son was showing an interest in air weapon sports so...”

Written on: 29/03/2009

My son was showing an interest in air weapon sports so as this was going for £15 I bought it for him to plink around and to see how he got on. In my opinion, the SMK S2 .177 is rough looking and after five metres, wildly inaccurate but as a cheap entry level weapon it does the job. Put more than a tin of pellets through it without any loss of power or failure. My son got on with it well and has now moved up to a Crosman 2240… Read Full Review

“The SMK S2 is well made, and cheap. A decent first air...”

Written on: 14/01/2009

The SMK S2 is well made, and cheap. A decent first air pistol, far better than a gat of about the same price, and it has rifled barrel. ,177 is the better cal. Oil the piston before use. Better still, strip the pistol down and tune it up yourself.its worth it. Can be rusty inside and bone dry… Read Full Review

“This gun is basically the B2 of pistols. It even has...”

Written on: 27/06/2007 by Newbie00 (14 reviews written)

This gun is basically the B2 of pistols. It even has the same horrible coloured paint on the grip.

The pistol is a basic break barrel. Break the barrel, load a pellet and fire. The accuracy of the gun is not worth having. Can't hit a thing with it. After a few shots the screws begin to fall out. The power is also pretty poor.

In my opinion this pistol is not worth having. Even if it was made accurate, the power wouldn't be able to carry it through.

Stay well clear of this… Read Full Review

“Why all the complaints about this gun, ”

Written on: 17/05/2007 by hawksticks (1 review written)

Why all the complaints about this gun,
Mine hardly ever miss its target at 13m-15m
and can pierce cans easily from same distance
crows don't stand a chance with this air gun very accurate and packs a punch
A+… Read Full Review

“I recently got the SMK S2 .177 air gun, and I have to...”

Written on: 10/03/2007 by mikegraham (1 review written)

I recently got the SMK S2 .177 air gun, and I have to say, that for £17 from NM Products, I am impressed!

The power is good for a cheap gun, but it needs regular maintenance to stay good. I dismantled it and cleaned it, which seems to have made it much more powerful.

The only bad point worth writing about is the poor build quality. Although it is a good gun, it looks as if a child has taken a rifle and been told to file it down into a pistol. The accuracy is quite good, and more than good… Read Full Review

Alexthekid's Response to 281422_mikegraham's Review

Written on: 04/11/2012

what is the website called, i really want to get a cheap air pistol and have seen it for around £25.00 but would like it cheaper.

“This pistol cost new £18.00 and for the money...”

Written on: 26/02/2007 by mick473 (13 reviews written)

This pistol cost new £18.00 and for the money excellent value. I have a Westlake version with plastic grips XS3 in .177 and I thought it would perform the same, well I was wrong. This fires a RWS Geco at consistent 365-370 fps my XS3 330 fps both have Daisy red dot sights the S2 grouped 15mm and XS3 20 mm at 8 mts. A S2 in .22 at the club not sure of what pellet was fired chonographed at 270 fps.
I have no probelm with the finish or the woodwork however it has no anti-bear trap and if you… Read Full Review

“I got my SMK S2 the other day off the internet for...”

Written on: 01/07/2006 by spree (1 review written)

I got my SMK S2 the other day off the internet for back garden plinking and I'm very pleased with it. It's cheap but this shows in the build quality. I stripped mine down and cleaned the parts and put a light coating of gun grease on the internals and Bisley gun lube in the barrel and mine works like a fairly high priced one now. All in all I'm very pleased with. I can shoot starlings on my roof with it from 20 meters or less. Hope this helps… Read Full Review

289225_Kjm55's Response to 247607_spree's Review

Written on: 15/05/2007

Hi i'm possibly about to buy a s2 .22 or .177, how powerful would you estimate it too be? As nowhere on the net does it state how powerful it is. How much fps/ ft/ lbs would you say?
<br/>Mixed reports on this site and others say it isn't very powerful at all, but is brilliant if you regularly clean/maintain it.

“If you need a gun to kill birds at 11 yards or less...”

Written on: 31/01/2006 by JamalDog87 (25 reviews written)

If you need a gun to kill birds at 11 yards or less then get the SMK S2 .177. It will do the job but don't think it's some really powerful gun at 400fps with 7.9 pellets… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Maybe I just got a very bad one, but in my opinion, if...”

Written on: 04/12/2005 by jgriggs177 (1 review written)

Maybe I just got a very bad one, but in my opinion, if you look at the SMK S2 .177 as a paperweight (and don't mind spending £25 on one, rather than using a tin of beans for around 1/75th of the cost) then it could be quite a good buy.

First impressions weren't good - the woodwork is finished to the same poor standard as the B2 rifle, but somehow it looks much worse on a pistol, probably because you can see it all close up at the same time. The metalwork is of a similar crude standard; overall… Read Full Review

Ilan Verdi's Response to 215285_jgriggs177's Review

Written on: 07/12/2005

I bought a set consisting of that pistol and of one flask BALLISTOL-OIL,200 paper targets a metal target case and of a nylon holster for less than 50€. So,the pistol was for free...
<br>I agree with your comment..

“The SMK S2 .177 pistol is amazing value for money but...”

Written on: 02/12/2005 by cheed38 (2 reviews written)

The SMK S2 .177 pistol is amazing value for money but the build quality, as you would expect for 25 pounds, is not perfect. My pistol was reasonably powerful at first, but after a 100 shots or so it became too weak to penetrate and exit can of beer. I believe this is due to the poor quality oil that is used in production by the Chinese. I dismantled the pistol, cleaned it and coated the cylinder and spring with molybdenum paste, (available on Ebay). It now penetrates a Heinz baked bean can. The… Read Full Review

“I got the SMK S2 .177 Air Rifle for hunting and it is...”

Written on: 21/04/2005 by JamalDog87 (25 reviews written)

I got the SMK S2 .177 Air Rifle for hunting and it is good at less than 10 yards for birds but that is it. Can shoot though can at 11yards… Read Full Review

“Just got the SMK S2 .177. First impressions are its...”

Written on: 26/11/2004 by witch13 (7 reviews written)

Just got the SMK S2 .177. First impressions are its heavy to hold but I think thats due to the butt being to short and the paint work is rubbish. Now the good points: It's a no thrills cheap air pistol its fairly powerful, well enough for plinking in the garden, so if you want a cheap air pistol get an S2, For £20 you can't go wrong… Read Full Review

“The SMK S2 .177 is in my opinion the Worst Pistol...”

Written on: 23/11/2004 by Rob006 (1 review written)

The SMK S2 .177 is in my opinion the Worst Pistol ever. Buy an old webly junior instead for £10 more. My S2 broke in the first hour. How anyone could describe this gun as a close range hunter I don't know… Read Full Review

151579_Danco1987's Response to 177774_Rob006's Review

Written on: 05/02/2005

I took my S2 out of the closet a few weeks back, and took it out. It had been unused since the arrival of my crosman 1377 and now I've modded my 1377 added a new breech and scope it makes a great close range hunter. I must admit when I first got mine it broke quite quicky but I took it all apart polished the insides and put it back together and found that the lock screw in the side which prevents the big one turning has to be removed and u have to tighten the big screw a bit more to get a better seal. I also put a few drops of oil down the barrel to cause a little disealing to increase power a bit. I lent it to my firend and we went out hunting, i had my 1377 and he had my s2. I took a rabbit at 15yards, a damn big one too it fed 3 of use and was lovely. After that, i was happy not to shoot at anything else and put my gun away. My friend however didnt and took a pigeon at at around 10yards up a tree from behind. He was using a .177 hustler needlepoint and it penetrated at the back of its lower neck, not all the way but enough to kill it. I wasnt surprised as I have taken small birds with it and one small rabbit at 10yards (but im not recommending it for rabbits!). The only thing that puts me off it is its accuracy, i was fairly accurate with it with a 80percent hit rate on target within 10yards, but my friend is better, so i decided to give it to him. Im just saying the gun isnt totally rubbish and if you clean it and takje a bit of care it is a great plinker and yes it can be used for very close range pest control.

176891_Bombom101's Response to 177774_Rob006's Review

Written on: 22/03/2006

I dont know what possessed some of you people to even thinking of hunting with such a weak pistol, you should only carry out hunting with weapons producing 8 ft lbs plus, otherwise you will have the police on you for inconsiderate treatment to animals

197241_Starling Sniper's Response to 177774_Rob006's Review

Written on: 11/06/2005

look rob is right this pistol is the pits!

151579_Danco1987's Response to 177774_Rob006's Review

Written on: 01/03/2005

Look if you take the gun apart, oil and lube the insides up. Do a bit of work on the trigger spring; lighten a tad to improve accuracy. You’re looking at the power of 3.5ftlbs at most. So to get a impact power of 2-2.5ftlbs which is needed to the head to cleanly kill a rabbit, you need to - Limit you shots within 10yards and to rats, starlings, pigeons and small rabbits with headshots and good pointer pellets. Test the pointer with plywood at 10yards to see the best penetration and you can hunt with it and get clean kills. But as for a serious hunter every weekend in the woods, no way, as 10yard shots which you can say that you can definitely hit the target on the head don’t arise that often. But that doesn’t mean it’s not capable.

Carlronchi's Response to 177774_Rob006's Review

Written on: 15/02/2005

Thats very true, I had one and I could throw a pellet further.

“I've had my SMK S2 .177 for about 6 months now I try...”

Written on: 22/08/2004 by JoelBarritt (5 reviews written)

I've had my SMK S2 .177 for about 6 months now I try to try and find something good to say about everything I review but I can honestly say there is nothing good about this air pistol.

For £25 people may think its an absolute bargain but it really isn't even worth that, the accuracy is appalling, 6 inch groups at 10 meters and this is nothing to do with my marksmanship. I can get pleasing results with any of my other air guns.

As for power people who recommend this for a close range hunting… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/08/2004

Mate you've officially got a duff one. Try tightening the screws on the side by removing the lock screw and then tightening the large one. Also take it apart and lube it up. Also oil the barrel every 50shots with light oil and the gun performs well. Or take it back and swap it.

Thobern's Response to JoelBarritt's Review

Written on: 24/11/2004

Where can you get the baikal izh61 for 50?

Written on: 09/09/2004

tightening the screws on the side, they loosen after about 20 shots. First take the smalol screw out then tighten the bigger one. The small one doesnt fit in my one no more so I dont bother.

Joelbarritt's Response to JoelBarritt's Review

Written on: 06/09/2004

It does shoot, just nowhere near what it's advertised compared to my Gamo Auto 45 which does produce 3ft/lb shooting 8.2g pellets at 400fps and 6.5g pellets up to 438fps. I would say that the smk is only producing something in between 220-260fps. It's always been like this, apart from the first 20 shots when it was probably doing something like 360fps.

Written on: 03/09/2004

So its not actually shotting or is it just not powerful enough?

Joelbarritt's Response to JoelBarritt's Review

Written on: 02/09/2004

I've doen everything you just suggested everything is how it should be, it just dosent want to shoot!

“SMK S2 .177 was the first airgun I ever bought, mainly...”

Written on: 20/08/2004 by marksman88 (2 reviews written)

SMK S2 .177 was the first airgun I ever bought, mainly because it was very cheap. although there are no official documents giving the exact power, I would say it isn't all that powerful simply because it does not cause much damage, even to say, cardboard (which it will rarely go through 2 layers of). The sights on this gun are probably acceptable, but difficult to aim correctly with without practice. Despite all this is a cheap and basic air pistol, which works how you would expect. I have only… Read Full Review

151579_Danco1987's Response to marksman88's Review

Written on: 30/08/2004

So you say its not accurate or powerful, yet you recommend it......?em

Weaverfish's Response to marksman88's Review

Written on: 24/04/2008

well, my s3 pistol can go through 5 layers of cardboard, can penetrate plastic, cant go through steel thou but i think it can kill. the accuracy on mine is terrible because the back sigts dont go down enough :( i have to shoot about a foot lower than i need to just to hit a target. its powerful enough to kill, but lacks accuracy

Marksman88's Response to marksman88's Review

Written on: 01/06/2005

I don't think it could go through concrete seeing as it cannot go through 1/3 inch thick MDF

191815_Bmx123's Response to marksman88's Review

Written on: 08/05/2005

i think its very powerful.........well its good enough to go though a concrete plant pot

151579_Danco1987's Response to marksman88's Review

Written on: 25/03/2005

sorry, I get what you mean, fun to shot at cans with at 10yards but doesn’t have pin point accuracy. Got you.

Marksman88's Response to marksman88's Review

Written on: 02/09/2004

Its cheap. basic. if you want accuracy or power go buy a prohunter or whatever. For £25 its not bad, so I would reccomend it for that price.

“I firstly bought my SMK S2 .22 Air Rifle about 2 years...”

Written on: 27/06/2004 by scotty boy (2 reviews written)

I firstly bought my SMK S2 .22 Air Rifle about 2 years a go when i first got it out of the box it didnt even pierce polystyrine, but after some gun oil and about 4 to 5 tins of pellets this gun was soon enough piercing aerosol cans at about 8 to 9 foot away, but the guns piston inside started to wear out after about 8 months and the gun slowly lost power and then broke. After this i purchased an SMK S2 .177 this was of slightly better quality it has a rifled barrel where as the .22 didnt and… Read Full Review

151579_Danco1987's Response to scotty boy's Review

Written on: 30/08/2004

I stripped the gun down and clean it up and then lubed it up and found it rose in power by about 50fps from 310fps to more around the 360fps mark using marksmen pellets (8g) and 400fps with eley wasps producing 3.2ftlbs. Oil it every 50 shots and the performance it quite consistent. I've taken a rabbits with a head shot from about 10yards.

☆☆☆☆☆

“This SMK S2 .177 is the worst Air Rifle i have shot in...”

Written on: 23/06/2004 by mil (1 review written)

This SMK S2 .177 is the worst Air Rifle i have shot in my life! it is no better than a G 10 and is EXTREMELY unaccurate! i am very doubtful that people were able to use this for hunting rabbits from 15m as it would just bounce off leaving the prey no worse for wear!… Read Full Review

151579_Danco1987's Response to mil's Review

Written on: 30/08/2004

You must of got a dodgy one, try tightening the cocking screws (on the side, take out the lock screw and tighten the large one). Makes cocking harder but improves power + accuracy.

“Bought the SMK S2 .177 a while back and only really...”

Written on: 26/05/2004 by Coffey6 (1 review written)

Bought the SMK S2 .177 a while back and only really started to use it. Not knowing much about pistols, I thought that you could shoot Through anything with this thing, but reality is this gun is rubbish even for plinking really. Not worth the box it comes in. Tried hunting with it a few times but it is not powerful enough for anything and I suggest a Crosman 1377c to replace this hunk of junk if hunting is what you wish to do… Read Full Review

151579_Danco1987's Response to Coffey6's Review

Written on: 30/08/2004

Yeah the 1377 is a quality gun.