Citroen Saxo VTS Reviews

Citroen Saxo VTS - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Citroen Saxo VTS

Citroen Saxo VTS
Citroen Saxo VTS

“I see lots of reviews across the internet and the...”

Written on: 07/05/2011

I see lots of reviews across the internet and the forums criticizing these cars for being 'unreliable' or 'impractical' or the newest favourite referring to 'shoddy build quality' and so on. To a certain extent all of this is true.

These cars aren't likely to pull 300,000 miles with only routine maintenance like a Volvo or VAG machine.

These cars don't offer great running costs, with more than extortionate Tax (£245 a year at the last check), 30-35mpg with fairly economical driving, and Group… Read Full Review

“I have got a saxo vts on a 99 plate and its now done...”

Written on: 29/06/2009

I have got a saxo vts on a 99 plate and its now done 78000. Ive had no problems with my car and actually in th e process in buying a new car but not managed to find one that live up to the expectations of the saxo. Great fun car to drive and very quick for a small car! Does beats many people from the lights. The only problem i had it when i first brought it, the radiater went but since then everything is good. Would reccomment these to anyone who looking for fun quick car!… Read Full Review

“A saxo 16v is a good car (if you're lucky) with a high...”

Written on: 20/12/2008

A saxo 16v is a good car (if you're lucky) with a high revving engine wich likes to revv al the way. Very fast
reasonable consumption
cheap buy
Good standard noise Some parts are way to expensive
pretty noisy from bodyparts tokking inside the car… Read Full Review

“Fast ride really go like mad after 60mph it shocking...”

Written on: 04/10/2008 by bluesaxovtsjames (1 review written)

Fast ride really go like mad after 60mph it shocking for a little car easy to drive and good for long trips. Part abt same price as ford not expensive like Peugeot or Renault good equipment like heated mirrors. Electric mirrors window anti-lock breaks airbags. Recommend it. Had no probs with mind except airbag light and eng management just needed clearing. 35quid main dealer. Rec mend after suspension kit might be a bit softer. Seat lovely on 2001 y reg… Read Full Review

“I've owned both a new shape Citroen Saxo VTS and my...”

Written on: 31/08/2008 by bmw e30 (1 review written)

I've owned both a new shape Citroen Saxo VTS and my current VTS and I can definetely say the VTS is in a different league, as someone mentioned the VTR is a warm hatch that is 'nippy' whereas the VTS is the flyer. The gearboxes are the definite weak point, my 75,000 one will crunch 2-3 and now 3-4 if you change gear quick-ish. It gets a lot of stick though so I can't really knock it, the engines are just so sweet, they are rev happy engines right up to 7000 and just 'hum' along around 4000revs… Read Full Review

Vfrtorque's Response to bmw e30's Review

Written on: 24/02/2010

Not honest just another vts fanboy who been made a fool of by citroen for believing there is a difference for the 7 groups higher than the vtr. I had both and vts is shocking for a car that is 7 groups higher. You only notice real difference after 100mph. I had a 100bbhp vtr and is just as fast , if not faster around town. Deffo got more torque than the vts.

“Easy to play with. I use mine for trackdays so it's...”

Written on: 18/07/2008 by aem82 (1 review written)

Easy to play with. I use mine for trackdays so it's lowered, yellow stuff brake pads, free flow exhaust and a air filter with heat shield (be wary of the filters aimed ant the 'chav' culture in modifying, all they do is suck hot air into the engine).
Also has a Unichip fitted to recalibrate the engine to the modifications.
Still not the quickest car out there but with sorted brakes and handling in a light weight chassis it can out perform a lot of things on road and on track with a decent… Read Full Review

“I only had it couple weeks payed 2495 fsh 2 owners y...”

Written on: 28/04/2008

I only had it couple weeks payed 2495 fsh 2 owners y reg. Def worth every penny. Easy to park n the drive exllent. Dont knock a Citroen. 100percent better than my old astra, I feel my age 22 that 46 driving my old 1.6 8v astra that got no kick… Read Full Review

“I was lucky enough to purchase a 30,000 mile one owner...”

Written on: 18/02/2008 by 00Pibo (1 review written)

I was lucky enough to purchase a 30,000 mile one owner Citroen Saxo VTS - in silver for £3800, its been quality to drive and I am guessing I will only know how good I had it when I purchase a 'family car'! Top handling, no mechanical problems, some electronic stuff like the alarm sensors not working properly from the off, airbag warning lights have come on the dash board after about 60,000 miles. But I can forgive that because its a driving car. Its got 73,000 on the clock and still going… Read Full Review

“My Citroen Saxo is very quick 0-60 in 3.0 sec, I have...”

Written on: 26/01/2008

My Citroen Saxo is very quick 0-60 in 3.0 sec, I have done many upgrades to achieve this. Max speed now I estimate at 165mph, but I am too scared to push it. My mate loves his VTR more than I love my VTS but thats life!… Read Full Review

453945_Dasiasss's Comment

Written on: 13/04/2009

yeah and my dasia sandero does 0-62 in 2.3 seconds and goes on to a top speed of 486.7mph. It also has vertical take off but i havent got my pilots liscence yet. Thats life.

“How much will I be able to sell mine for.”

Written on: 22/01/2008

How much will I be able to sell mine for… Read Full Review

“I have owned a 1997 R plate VTR, and a 1999 T plate...”

Written on: 30/12/2007

I have owned a 1997 R plate VTR, and a 1999 T plate VTS, and can say there is a vast difference between them.
First off is the obvious speed difference, I wouldnt call the VTR 'slow' but the VTS makes the most of the extra 8 valves. The VTR is 'nippy' and is along the same lines as a Corsa B GSI. The VTS, is a quick little car, my engine was un-modified.
The 97 VTR didnt really give me alot of trouble within the engine, it was the build quality that let it down, my drivers side door literally… Read Full Review

“I would recommend this car to anybody between 18-25!...”

Written on: 28/08/2007 by wiggo89 (1 review written)

I would recommend this car to anybody between 18-25! It is such a fun car to drive. The handling is excellent no matter what speed your doing round pretty much any corner! It beats a fair chunk of cars off the lights, most models up to a 1.6/1.8 depending on the year. As I said before you can pout little things on VTR's to make them look good. for example in mine I have put an induction kit on it to give it a bit of a roar, I've lowered it 40mm all round, tinted the windows, put a minor bodykit… Read Full Review

00Pibo's Response to 307492_wiggo89's Review

Written on: 18/02/2008

Any body kit mods is a kids game and skins cash out the wallet. Keep the original and keep it well maintained.

Saxovtspower's Response to 307492_wiggo89's Review

Written on: 11/01/2010

you cant get any saxo thats a 1.8 as standard, they only go upto 1.6s the vtr's are 1.6 8v and the vts is a 1.6 16v which is the top ov the range model. i have the vts and i total love it. the acceleration is ttl class and its so fun to drive. i drive along with smile plastered on ma face constantly lol

“Have got a few cars in my household and the Citroen...”

Written on: 11/08/2007 by jazzRS360 (15 reviews written)

Have got a few cars in my household and the Citroen Saxo VTS is now one of them, in place of my boy's VTR. Group 14 insurance initially seems stupid, build quality is below par and there is no glovebox oddly enough. Economy is not all that great either for a small car, at just 34mpg, and its pricey to tax too.

If you can live with those shortcomings, you will have yourself a small hot-hatch hero. It's just so much fun to drive, with it's old school charm. No electronic gizmos ruining things… Read Full Review

176891_Bombom101's Response to jazzRS360's Review

Written on: 13/08/2007

Sorry, But I own a Saxo myself, only a 1.1, But all Saxos have glove boxes?
<br/>
<br/>A floppy gearbox as well? You must have a got a ragged one then! The selector in mine feels fine indeed.

472928_Macvts's Response to jazzRS360's Review

Written on: 12/07/2009

thats right, mine dont have a glove box either its becos of the airbag. its worn rubbers on the linkages that cause gear change to be floppy, i know because 2 of mine perished and left me at the roadside with no gears. since replacing them gear changes are tighter.

Jazzrs360's Response to jazzRS360's Review

Written on: 15/08/2007

Oh and by the way, thats correct NO glove box in the VTS model, it has passenger airbag instead unlike the others.

Jazzrs360's Response to jazzRS360's Review

Written on: 15/08/2007

I doubt it, the car is a one owner from new with just 36000 miles. This summer I have also driven 2 Saxo VTRs, one of which was in almost new condition, and both had floppy-feeling boxes. I'm guessing its just a Saxo trait, Top Gear magazine made a similar comment on the VTR a few years back. If you think your box is great, go and test drive a Ford Fiesta Zetec-S, and then tell me what you think. Yes I have driven that too, and it's gearbox is decidedly meatier and more precise.
<br/>But for a cheap car, its forgivable. I still think the VTS is a little cracker of a car for all its flaws, and even though the Ford is probably the better driver's car, I'd take the Saxo for sheer fun appeal. And besides, the VTS has the sort of acceleration the Ford can only dream of.

“I have owned my Saxo VTS for three years and would...”

Written on: 23/11/2006 by shotley100 (1 review written)

I have owned my Saxo VTS for three years and would recommend it to anyone who is considering buying one. I bought mine from a specialist garage and have to admit I was a bit of a sceptic because of the French connection to begin with! (I owned a Renault 19 16v which spent more time in the garage than Clarkson's GT40!) I can honestly say though, I have never looked back and couldn't part with it now!

I drove a VTR before my purchase and have to say that I was left feeling a little… Read Full Review

Bmw E30's Response to shotley100's Review

Written on: 11/03/2008

I found this review helpful because... i agree with everything he said, its good advice. I too owned a reno 19 16v phase 1 and although in my opinion it was the best car i ever had it is long in the tooth now, and after sampling fords-focus's and pumas etc i think my heart lies with french cars, and my saxo vts gets a thumbs up! Its impressive performance and cheap bills, and will give you more fun per mile than almost any other car.

“I have had this Citroen Saxo VTS car nearly 2 months...”

Written on: 02/11/2006 by Michaela18 (2 reviews written)

I have had this Citroen Saxo VTS car nearly 2 months now and I love it. I'm usually quite bad with cars, I get bored but I can't see me getting bored of this. The speed of this car is just amazing and how quick it picks up, well I'm just chuffed to bits with it!

Not only does it go fast and stick to the road, it also looks good. It's a head turner! I would recommend this car to anyone as I have found mine so reliable.

Thanks… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“I beg you. Don't buy a Citroen Saxo VTS. Get a CRX SiR...”

Written on: 21/10/2006 by Dr Gonzo (4 reviews written)

I beg you. Don't buy a Citroen Saxo VTS. Get a CRX SiR instead and save your dignity and respect. Plus girls like it a lot more than a tarted up, French shopping trolley with a chassis set up by neanderthals with a bias towards under steer. Verdict: Smells of garlic and lots of visits to the dealer. Steer clear. Unless you have one, in which case you'll be steering into a tree… Read Full Review

281979_Jpppartridge's Response to Dr Gonzo's Review

Written on: 15/03/2007

Dr Gonzo, as a proud VTS owner I feel inclined to stick up for this cracking little car - we wouldn't want people getting the wrong idea about it!
<br/> Comparing the VTS and the Civic/CRX Vtec was very thoughtful, though obviously Japan beats France in terms of straight line speed, engine noise, interior and build quality. If however, you want a car with less than 40,000 miles on the clock for around £2000 you can forget the Japanese offerings (bar the ghastly 2 seater version, though these aren't hatchbacks anyway), including the later, more lame looking 160bhp Civics. In short, on the used car market you get more choice, and arguably better value, for your money from the Saxo VTS.
<br/> How is the VTS ugly? Look up CRX in the dictionary and I'm sure you won't find the words "good looking" anywhere nearby! The Toyota Prius is ugly! And how can you say the VTS doesn't handle?
Also, I can't help but feel you are suffering from a nasty case of Franco-phobia! French hatches really can be good - they don't have loads of power but they make the most of what they've got. I'm thinking here of the 205 GTI, the Clio Williams - while the VTS cannot claim status alongside these legends it does share many of their best attributes i.e. fun factor.
<br/> I cannot argue with your observation regarding driving position; it isn't the greatest! But it really isn't that bad either, unless you're driving loads of miles in a single stint or hurtling round a track for prolonged periods of time. I must admit I don't find the pedals a problem, be it in trainers or work boots - any pedals take time to get accustomed to.
<br/> To summarize, I have tried to give a fair low down on the Saxo VTS so as to help or inform any potential buyers. The VTS doesn't pretend to be something it isn't; the interior is poor, comfort is fairly lacking, just about the whole car is made of plastic - but this last point is part of the appeal! For a 1600cc the car really does go and it stops well too. The handling is akin to the 205 GTI, but minus the unforgiving lift-off oversteer. Understeer is no more of a problem than in any other FWD car. For under £2000 there are plenty of tidy examples - you are getting a cracking motor for your money.
<br/>(N.B No disrespect: the CRX/Civic Vtec is an awesome machine - given a slightly bigger budget my choice between one of these and a Clio Williams would have been a tough one!).

Kfostervts's Response to Dr Gonzo's Review

Written on: 11/06/2009

looks like you need to see some one about this, you have issues with hate for the vts, have you owned one. I have a VTS now its my 5th car ive had 3 corsa sports, 1 golf tdi and a pug 106. all of them werent bad cars but werent the best had problems with them all even with care (warming up, servicing etc). I was a bit wiery of buying a french shopping trolley as you quoted, i just went for a test drive and had to get one because of how it drives. I still was thinking it would be in the garage allot, but the french prooved me wrong it is by far the best car ive ever owned never a problem, quite good on feul, handling is amazing around short quick corners (perfect for tracks), back end kicks out abit around a long sweeping bend but i can live with that. All these cars need is a carefull owner that isnt just going to hammer it every where (only when relevant) all the time and it will be fine.

“My Citroen Saxo VTS does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and 60-0...”

Written on: 08/09/2006 by boyracer1986s (1 review written)

My Citroen Saxo VTS does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and 60-0 in 3.2 seconds, it does 143mph top speed and sticks to the road like glue, even in sharp corners at 100mph. It has to be the ultimate small car, well it would be if the interior was better as standard… Read Full Review

Zharca's Response to 258808_boyracer1986s's Review

Written on: 25/10/2006

"does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds"
<br/>A very interesting observation, perhaps a misprint for 7.3 seconds?
<br/>Otherwise we're talking over 24ft/sec for which a stripped-out Saxo would need to average about 220kW. You could convert that to about 350bhp peak, and if you can get that from under 200sq cm piston area, you can come and work for me.
<br/>IMPRESSIVE.
<br/>There is a documented 1/4 mile run for a well-modified Saxo VTS at 14.6sec/94mph, from which you'd guess a 0-60 at around the 7 second mark.
<br/>J

Saxo Vts's Response to 258808_boyracer1986s's Review

Written on: 01/01/2007

I got a Saxo VTS with a sportex full system, dastek unichip and a performance air filter. dyno'd at 153bhp at the fly with 112lb-ft torque at tdi power tuning. My cas runs 0 - 60 between 6.2 n 6.5, and 1/4 mile in 14.8 seconds. It's one of the fastest Saxo's in my area, and still a lot slower than yours! Your figures must be a little bit wrong, or did you rev it up on axle stands? lol

265969_Leed's Response to 258808_boyracer1986s's Review

Written on: 06/11/2006

Not too sure about the 3+ secs either!!
<br/>As I have a Citroen Saxo VTS and it's chipped - viper ind, scorp exh and Kent cams.
<br/>It's nowhere near that!!
<br/>LOL!!!

“My Citroen Saxo VTS was a very fast car and it just...”

Written on: 25/07/2006 by YATES (1 review written)

My Citroen Saxo VTS was a very fast car and it just stuck to the road an pulled like a train, was just simply the best hatchback I have ever driven although it was heavy on petrol. I'd still highly recommended and would have another one any day of the week… Read Full Review

“Ive had my Citroen Saxo VTS 1.6 16v for 6 months now,...”

Written on: 06/02/2006 by danno01992 (1 review written)

Ive had my Citroen Saxo VTS 1.6 16v for 6 months now, and am overall very pleased with it.

I'll try and give you a run down of my opinions of the different parts of the car, what it's like to drive, and it as a package.

Engine: Brilliant, 1.6 16v, responsive, power stacked (130bhp from the 2000 model upwards) which, in an 898 kilo car, is really quite something!

Brakes: Not confidence inspiring at first, they're pretty wooden, and take some getting used to. Some softer pads would sort this… Read Full Review

“I have a Astra SRi Turbo 52 reg ,with 250 bhp,5 sec...”

Written on: 10/01/2006 by astra turbo (1 review written)

I have a Astra SRi Turbo 52 reg ,with 250 bhp,5 sec 0-60 sprint and 162 flat out at Santa Pod!!
I have just bought a Citroen Saxo VTS it's a nice car but that's all it is. In no where near the league as my Astra Turbo, she would destroy Saxos within the first few yards. More comfortable, refined,and handling than the Saxo any day, but it is a different class!!… Read Full Review

244221_Saxo Nut's Response to astra turbo's Review

Written on: 24/05/2006

I think anyone who slates this beauty of a car needs their head testing. Mine is lowered with 16's on it and it has spax suspension. It has a four branch manifold heat wrapped and a nice exhaust that's loud when I put my foot down but quiet when I'm driving slow. This is the best car I have had and I would definitely recommend this car to others. It's a great car for modding if that's what your into but it's also a great car for your mum. A definite thumbs up from me.

Shotley100's Response to astra turbo's Review

Written on: 23/11/2006

I agree with what you're saying in principal, but then why would you go to a BMW M3 review forum if you drove a Ferrari Scaglietti? Of course your Vauxhall would knock the socks of a Saxo, but then how many Astra's are knocking around in good nick for 1500 notes? Plus, you would need to re-mortgage your house to pay for the insurance on an Astra turbo if you're under 25. Anyway, get an R32 Golf if you want performance....give the VTS to your missus like me!!!!