Pure Evoke 1 Reviews

• Sound Quality

Pure Evoke 1 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Pure Evoke 1

“Good all round radio”

Written on: 31/05/2013 by Workerant (3 reviews written)

Had one of these for a number of years now and it doesn't suffer from the long term reliability problem of the Evoke 3. I bought the extra stereo speaker and although expensive, the quality is good and I particularly like the fact that I set the sleep timer in 15 minute increments. It doesn't have the touch snooze handle or the ability to record to memory but it is the entry level model. Picks up DAB signals easily which is something my expensive Hi-Fi fails to do… Read Full Review

Pure Evoke 1

“a faithful friend in a wooden overcoat”

Written on: 25/05/2012 by ianbradley (6 reviews written)

This has been a family friend for over 7 years. the sound quality is very good and i cant imagine anyone wanting better from a household radio. There is very little distortion so go and grab a bargain you can trust. Of our 4 pure sets in the house on has finally stopped but i diagnosed a faulty transformer and got a new one for 11 quid on the internet. Being external to the radio makes this a simple task. radio fans- BUY ONE… Read Full Review

Pure Evoke 1

“Pure Evoke 1 is beautiful and easy to use. As a...”

Written on: 14/02/2009 by tjordan (1 review written)

Pure Evoke 1 is beautiful and easy to use. As a bedside radio the display is easy to read and clock brightness either auto or manually set.
Alarm has weekday,weekend or once only options. Also use as an evening I really love it. It sounds great but a second alarm would be so much better. They should combine the Evoke and Tempus models. Really irritating that they don't include the battery pack. Does not use standard rechargeables. Only one alarm. (The Pure Tempus gives you four but no… Read Full Review

Pure Evoke 1

“Wonderful sound - nice and neat, compact radio. No...”

Written on: 15/01/2009 by Pinkle (1 review written)

Wonderful sound - nice and neat, compact radio. No need to have the aeriel raised. Lovely clear reception on all stations I have accessed. I love it! The Pure Evoke 1 is the most wonderful radio, highly recommended and I love it so much I am buying one for me Dad!… Read Full Review

Pure Evoke 1

“I've just bought this little beauty at CPC.co.uk for a...”

Written on: 02/12/2007 by CornyO (26 reviews written)

I've just bought this little beauty at CPC.co.uk for a cracking £42! It's for my wife, because her little FM radio she used to have in the kitchen fell to pieces, and the batteries needed changing every so often. Ordered the Pure Evoke 1 online with CPC and I got it the next day, brilliant! Soooo easy to use. Plug it in, it will scan the available stations and off you go. Unfortunately living in Suffolk means the coverage of DAB is rubbish, but that's not Pure's fault. I can only get about 10… Read Full Review

Pure Evoke 1

“I compared the sound quality of the Pure Evoke-1 DAB...”

Written on: 11/10/2005 by hywel (22 reviews written)

I compared the sound quality of the Pure Evoke-1 DAB digital radio against a whole bunch of others in Curry's, and it was the best by far! The others all seemed tinny, even the more expensive ones.
Setting it up is a doddle. Just switch it on and it scans all the available stations, twiddle through them using a knob not a + or -, and press the presets for 3 seconds to store... easy.
I am very pleased after one months heavy kitchen use… Read Full Review

Pure Evoke 1

“The Pure Evoke-1 Has been used as a kitchen radio for...”

Written on: 09/06/2005 by paulmt123 (12 reviews written)

The Pure Evoke-1 Has been used as a kitchen radio for nearly a year and has performed faultlessly. The sound quality sets the pure evokes apart from the rest and reception and features are also excellent… Read Full Review

Pure Evoke 1

“Being a busy mum, I seem to spend about 50% of my time...”

Written on: 31/07/2004 by joleen1 (1 review written)

Being a busy mum, I seem to spend about 50% of my time doing tedious stuff in the kitchen. I therefore like to listen to talk radio stations as a distraction from peeling spuds and often despaired at the terrible reception my old analogue radio afforded. That is now a thing of the past thanks to this cute little wooden box.
First thing that struck me was the appearance and quality; both are excellent. The wooden finish and retro styling look great, and it feels like a really well made item… Read Full Review

Pure Evoke 1

“We have two Pure Evoke 1 DAB Digital Radio's. The one...”

Written on: 24/06/2004 by Steven McCue (1 review written)

We have two Pure Evoke 1 DAB Digital Radio's. The one downstairs required an external DAB aerial as reception was continually 'muddy' and 'dropping-out'.Reception is perfect now. The one upstairs is perfect with the supplied antenna. The point: Don't expect reception to be faultless just because the word 'Digital' appears and take into account you may have to install an external aerial to get the best results.
I like the design which is very stylish and prefer the Evoke-1 to the Evoke-2 which… Read Full Review

Pure Evoke 1

“I purchased my Pure Evoke 1 digital radio around eight...”

Written on: 22/06/2004 by RichardM (2 reviews written)

I purchased my Pure Evoke 1 digital radio around eight months ago, and have given this radio a fair test, both in the home (and other peoples homes), and even in the car. I have just recently given the radio to my father. I am distinctly unimpressed by the Evoke, and DAB in the UK. Read on to find why.

When you buy an Evoke, the manufactures (Pure) urge you to return an enclosed warranty card to them with your views of the radio. Clearly many purchasers have done this, judging by the number… Read Full Review

Bertie's Response to RichardM's Review

Written on: 25/06/2004

Thanks for a most thorough and professional review RichardM and if what you say is fact, then I shall be glad to continue to listen to analogue FM radio on the Grundig RR220 I got for two quid at a car-boot sale.
<br>
<br>Just as well DAB is unavailable in my area!

Ckernick16's Response to RichardM's Review

Written on: 01/09/2008

I found this review helpful because... I am a novice looking at DAB for the first time. Richard's review gave me a fair warning of some of the pitfalls.

Broglet's Response to RichardM's Review

Written on: 06/01/2006

I agree with everything you say about DAB generally. I have just bought an Intempo DAB radio and it too sounds dead and boxy - I prefer the sound of my old plastic bedside FM clock radio which is a lot smaller and far less ugly (although it does suffer from intolerable interference - especially from pirate stations - the only serious disadvantage of FM )
<br>
<br>The UK implementation of DAB with its ludicrous low bit rates (even for Radio 3) - all to achieve the pointless result of cramming in more and more useless stations - is a national disgrace.

Written on: 19/07/2004

Well, I won't go on for ever more about this, but will make a few points.
<br>
<br>No, not all Sony stuff is going to be brilliant, especially at the cheaper end as you say. And I would never recommend any one manufacturer blindly. Every purchase is a gamble, and there are few certainties. However, I'll be specific here--the £23 (or less) Sony ICF-703L portable *is* an excellent product. As have been all the other Sony portable radios I have owned over the last ten years. I cannot speak for all Sony's other products, but would buy Sony over any other brand any day, based upon my experiences. And every single radio I have seen with Bush, Alba, or Goodmans on it has been junk. It is definitely a case of 'you get what you pay for'. These radios may sell for half what the equivalent ICF-703L does, but the extra is worth every penny in terms of quality and performance. Don't judge analogue radio from a duff radio. I maintain that IMO most consumers would be better served by the Sony ICF-703L over the Evoke. What you say about 'badge engineering' in electronics these days is true, however I have never seen Sony radios bearing lesser brands' labels myself. I'd be very surprised if I did too.
<br>
<br>I am sorry if I gave the impression that buying a quality brand TV assures good reception; perhaps that was my wording. The TV debate is O/T here of course, but with radio the argument of buying the best quality for better performance is certainly true in my experience, for the reasons I have stated.
<br>
<br>We will all differ over our preference of stations of course. I didn't like 6 Music personally, as I found the music and style to be pretty unadventurous and bland. But it is certainly the case that anyone who likes lots of automated stations playing identical pop music in differing order from one another, in varying grades of low quality audio would be very satisfied with DAB. Myself, I prefer a handful of quality stations in good quality audio over a multitude of trash stations in lower quality. (Quality over quantity.) Perhaps I'm old fashioned though...
<br>
<br>In general I still cannot accept that the majority of purchasers will somehow get 'better' reception with DAB than they get with analogue. A few might. But I'm sure most will find DAB reception is unreliable. I certainly did, despite the radio reporting near full strength signal and a low error rate. I would say that they will have to increase the quantity of transmitters and power levels greatly before DAB works as reliably as FM, without the dropouts and 'mud'. And I'm not sure that they will be prepared to do this.
<br>
<br>I suppose we will have to 'agree to disagree' over DAB and the Evoke. I know the radio was no good for me, and was too expensive at the £80 it cost me.

Written on: 17/07/2004

I'm glad you thought I made some fair comments in my last posting, Richard. I'd rather be referred to as Gerard as 5GW0P234 does sound a bit like a serial number for a spare part!
<br>
<br>I think this has been a good debate about the value of DAB radio and I hope it's been useful to anyone who's considering buying one. There are, however, some comments I'd like make in response to your last post. Contrary to your statement the Evoke, like so many other goods these days - electrical or otherwise - is constructed in China although it may well be a British concern.
<br>
<br>I'm not particularly technically minded but the question of bit rates seems important in the overall quality of DAB. In the article I referred to in my last comment the author recommended an ideal signal of 256 kbps, twice the average of the signal currently broadcast. In internet terms it appears we're getting a 'dial-up' connection instead of broadband.
<br>
<br>I did do a test between analogue FM and DAB using my midi hifi as an amp and I do have to concede that the FM sound was better in terms of presence and overall 'oomph' (for want of a better word). Digital, I believe, has the undoubted edge in clarity but the it lacked 'punch'. This may be due in large part to the over compressed signal. It's also noticeable that when switching between analogue and digital television I always have to turn the volume up as the digital sound (on tv broadcasts that is) is very much quieter compared to analogue. I must add that I used Radio 2 for my test which is the best received national radio station on my FM tuner. Had I used Classic FM as a test the result would have undoubtedly gone in DAB's favour as this is one of the stations that has always given me reception trouble on FM.
<br>
<br>I used to think that buying branded good such as Sony and Panasonic etc. was an assurance of quality and reliability but unfortunately not anymore. See my review on the website of the Sony CMT EP30 mini hifi system (incidentally, this won the draw for the monthly voucher prize). Probably at the mid and higher price range of their lines there's not much to worry about but at the cheaper end I'm sure a fair bit of 'badge engineering' exists where big companies farm out their production to factories that also make products for so called 'lesser quality' brands. For instance, I remeber when I had my Toshiba tv repaired a couple of years ago I told the repairman that I had a good temporary replacement with a Panasonic portable. He replied that he had repaired a number of Goodmans tv/video combis and found that they had identical parts to a similar Panasonic product! It really makes you think! With regard to reception I live in the South East Wales area where tv reception is notoriously poor (double imaging, lines across picture), so poor in fact that many prefer to get their signal from the West Country as it comes across the Bristol Channel unhindered by any land obstructions, natuaral or man-made. Digital tv is a Godsend to this part of the world. It doesn't matter, therefore, what quality of television you own: bad reception always equals bad picture.
<br>
<br>Unlike digital tv, however, it seems unlikely that analogue frequencies are going to be switched off for a long time to come, if ever. The article I metioned previously mentioned 'not before 2019 and maybe long after that.' Certainly FM fans have nothing to worry about and even if they do eventually cease broadcasting in FM, digital technology will have advanced I'm sure. Finally, there are two DAB stations I would not now be without: 6 Music, the ideal bridge between Radios 1 and 2, and Five Live Extra which broadcasts Test Match Special without the annoying breaks for the shipping forecast. In short, I think FM and DAB can co-exist quite happily for many years to come.

Written on: 08/07/2004

Fair points, 5GW0P234.
<br>
<br>You are right to say that my review does dwell on the DAB system itself over the Evoke radio. I did try not to do this but it proved difficult as the flaws, as I see them, are indeed mostly inherent in the system itself technically, and also have been worsened by the UK regulators (BBC and government). Unfortunately, the system is inseparable from the Evoke for the purpose of such a review.
<br>
<br>I have sympathy for the manufacturer, as they of course have no control over how the system is run and did not choose to degrade the DAB system to such an extent by adding more and more stations. The Evoke radio is not really that bad in itself considering it is designed and manufactured by a small, low volume UK manufacturer. Such a manufacturer cannot be expected to have anywhere near the funds of Sony or similar to invest in R+D for its products, a fact I do appreciate. Consequently, it is inevitable that a product such as the Evoke could never realistically be as well engineered and represent such good value as a competing product from the best Japanese manufacturers out there. (Yes, I know they mostly don't actually make the stuff there any more, but...) The Evoke DAB only has a small regional market place, unlike an FM/AM portable from a far Eastern Manufacturer that sells worldwide, (or near enough) so quantity of scale means the cost will be high for what it is. Really it is like comparing a Rover with a Toyota. Whilst I wish the UK business every success, I know where I would spend my own hard earned.
<br>
<br>I can see why you would think the debate on Usenet groups centres on the audiophile angle. Most of the time this is the point being debated on there, concerning UK DAB's low bitrates etc. Though I do think the issues are quite different here from finer points of the old CD/vinyl debate. I am no audiophile myself, but can hear the difference between DAB and FM. I cannot really describe it, but would say that DAB sounds at best like an artificial (and inferior) recreation of the broadcast. A familiar song or voice heard on the Evoke to me sounds unnatural and lifeless. Whereas FM sounds 'real'. I'm sure it's probably due to the compression/low bitrate used in the broadcast, rather than the Evoke radio itself. But few who understand the issues would disagree that the audio quality of DAB has been unacceptably sacrificed for quantity of stations.
<br>
<br>I accept your point regarding the improvements you feel you benefit from with digital, as I can see how going from poor analogue to acceptable digital would seem an improvement. Surprisingly maybe, I cannot remember the last time I suffered with unacceptably bad analogue - TV or radio. Partly, this is because I buy quality sets in the first place. This is very important: I do not recommend junk from Alba, Goodmans, Bush, or suchlike. Believe me, I have tried these companies sets and they give FM/AM a bad name, and anyone going to DAB would think it great after experiencing them! This was the point I wanted to stress in my original review. Personally I stick with Sony stuff and am seldom disappointed. I use my portables all over the place in my job, and cannot remember the last time I was unable to pick up at least the national FM stations and the odd commercial one, even indoors. Being mono radios, an acceptable signal is almost guaranteed. (Wouldn't say the same for larger stereo sets though, I find they aren't as sensitive as the portables and are prone to hiss unless you switch to mono). And AM always works, regardless of how low down in a valley you may be. (It is antiquated, but it works, and no telescopic needed!) Try this experiment with DAB and you are sure to be disappointed. Digital reception is all or nothing really. Anything in between I class as nothing as dropouts and 'mud' will effectively drive you to the off button sooner or later. Some hiss on an FM signal does not 'destroy' the broadcast, just makes it poorer. I do accept however, that analogue can be spoiled by electrical interference. (I suspect this also was the culprit for some of the unexplained burbles and dropouts I experienced on the Evoke, as you never 'hear' the interfering source with digital as you do on analogue). But I do concede improved resistance to interference is perhaps DAB's strongest feature.
<br>
<br>My main gripe with DAB, and the Evoke; is the reception. I found this to be simply not reliable enough for a portable set. That is why I went back to analogue and got rid of the Evoke, and have no intention of returning to DAB in the foreseeable future. For its faults, I appreciate FM (and AM) much more now than I ever did before my experiences with the Evoke. I also believe that, on balance, the vast majority of consumers would be better served by a good analogue portable like the £23 Sony ICF-703L rather than the Evoke. Especially so if you can manage without (and I'm sure you can!) the DAB-only stations. Incidentally, two of my favourite stations only broadcast on FM anyway, so even that issue isn't clear-cut in DAB's favour...

Written on: 07/07/2004

Sorry, I didn't realise that it was the Reviewcentre that labelled you an 'expert' but I'd take it as a big compliment!
<br>
<br>There are some points I'd like to make in reply. Firstly, the greatest impression I got from your initial review - and subsequent comments - was that it was largely a gripe about the standard of the digital broadcast system rather than the the radio itself. Afterall, it is the product that's on review - that's the point of this website. Your low opinion of DAB anyway seems to make it inevitable that you'd be predjudiced against this product. Maybe it's unavoidable - it's a bit like someone trying to review a plasma screen tv that can only receive black and white 405 line transmissions!
<br>
<br>I did look at some of the Google groups you alluded to. Overall, I think that the debate about the merits or otherwise of DAB was largely conducted by 'audiophiles'; it reminded of the debate by hi-fi buffs - probably still ongoing! - about whether vinyl records actually sound better than cds (incidentally, they probably do but you'd need a shed-full of money to buy the sort of top quality hi-fi equipment needed to prove it!)
<br>
<br>I think any system is going to have inherent flaws and digital radio is no exception. But, like anything else in life, you weigh up the pro's and cons and I've concluded that the pro's win. A comparison could be made with digital tv: there are aspects of it I find annoying like occassional picture break-up and 'digital artifacts', but my annoyance is outweighed by the fact that I can now watch a televised rugby match with just 30 players on the pitch rather than the 60 when I used to use my badly 'ghosted' analogue signal! Likewise, although DAB radio can suffer from drop-out and 'bubbling', I more than appreciate the fact I can pick up digital channels clearly without the constant hiss of FM static.
<br>
<br>Perhaps you're right to say that we're being short changed by the low bit-rate of broadcasts. I read the 'The Sunday Times'article highlighted by one of the groups and the report in it by the academic, Dr Robinson, was illimunating. It does seem that digital radio quality could be vastly improved by less compressed signals and he reckons a bit-rate of 160 kbps (apparently similar to an i-pod) to be acceptable and 192kbps to be ideal. However, I find listening to 6 Music, and other stations, at 128kbps perfectly acceptable, although I must admit I would love to hear what they could sound like if they were less compressed.
<br>
<br>These are still early days of DAB and things are in constant change. Hopefully it won't be too long before there are developments in digital radio that will please everyone. In short, I think that this is a good product with the potential to be a great one.

Written on: 05/07/2004

First off, I never claimed for a moment to be an 'expert'. You will have to ask Reviewcentre why they chose to use this. I simply wrote an honest review which I stand by fully, explaining that I have tested the product in a fair way in comparison to FM radios, of which I have much practical experience of from years of use.
<br>
<br>There will always be people who don't like what they have read, and this website gives them free right to reply. I accept that. If you are happy with your Evoke, then so be it. But I wasn't, OK?
<br>
<br>As for connecting the set to a Hi-fi, I tried this. I was disappointed, as firstly many stations are now broadcasting in mono, (which is not ideal for music is it?), and secondly the low and ever diminishing bit-rates used for DAB stations are a big let down. DAB is not a Hi-fi medium. The BBC themselves freely admit to this. (Search Google groups yourself for their quote on this if you don't believe me). An FM tuner will sound far better than the hollow, flat mush of a low quality digital signal. Running though a Hi-fi will improve the sound a bit over the sets built-in speaker, but it will always be considerably worse than FM sounds while ever such low bit-rates are used. Some stations (one in particular on the Emap S.Yorks mux) sound little better than medium wave stations, and to me at least are simply unlistenable, as the sound is so gratingly bad. Furthermore, such use of a portable radio defeats the portability of such a radio. If this is how you will use it then you would do much better with Freeview or satellite, which will provide much better quality sound than DAB. (And better coverage). As an experiment I connected my FM portable through the Hi-fi and it sounded much better than the Evoke.
<br>
<br>As for your poor FM signal, you are far, far more likely to have problems with poor DAB reception than FM. The coverage is nowhere near the same. There will be very few people who get acceptable DAB reception, but unacceptable FM reception. Most of the county I live in has no DAB signal, a situation which is unlikely to improve. (And if it ever does , the Evoke won't benefit as it can only receive Band 3, not the other band of frequencies they will use). But FM is perfectly usable accross most of the county. And where it isn't Medium Wave will work in places that DAB will never work, regardless of how much network expansion goes on over the years. You will not convince me that this is an improvement over analogue.
<br>
<br>I expect a few comments may appear from the DAB industry and marketing people who have so much at stake with DAB in the UK, as sales have proved disappointing for them. They don't like criticism. But do keep coming back with the same points if you like. I have written my review, if you don't like it then I'm sorry, but you won't change my opinions!

Written on: 04/07/2004

Owning a lot of FM radios doesn't necessarily make you an expert. I own a number of radios of various brands including a good quality Sony portable that's nearly 15 years old and still sounding good but my Evoke beats them all hands down. Why? Because wherever I've used it in my house it's given me consistently good reception. Although I live in an area which should give me good quality FM reception there are certain stations that always causes problems. In rooms on one side of my house my FM radios struggle to receive Radio 4, which is heard through a cacophony of hiss. Also, Classic FM reception has always been mediocre at best and difficult to tune into because it occupies a fairly small bandwith. My Evoke radio can receive these stations with ease, a big plus I'd say for the benefits of DAB radio.
<br>
<br>How can the Evoke be described as 'ugly'? It's a design classic and it looks class. Admittedly there are drawbacks. The adapter is too big and chunky and the fact it doesn't take batteries doesn't make it a proper portable. The speaker is a bit too small for really top quality sound but if you plug it into your hifi system using the line out connection it sounds fantastic and you can get the best out of DAB reception. Furthermore, you can tailor the sound to your tastes using the hifi's controls for those who bemoan the lack of a tone control. My advice: go get one, you won't be disappointed.

Written on: 02/07/2004

The hole in the bottom of the case adds no bass whatsoever, (just adds to the overall dull mush), despite the claim to the contrary. The readers are free to audition the set for themselves. Indeed, they should certainly do this before purchasing the Evoke. It seems you must have some pretty bad FM radios, is all I can think if you are so satisfied with the audio quality! And as for the reception, well you must be extremely easily pleased if you think random dropouts and burbling 'mud' are acceptable on a product of this price. And there are plenty of experiences of DAB like mine, just do a search on Google groups.
<br>
<br>It is entirely up to you if you are so easily satisfied to think that this radio sounds good. I'm not, and will speak out if I buy an overpriced, unsatisfactory product.

Hmd's Response to RichardM's Review

Written on: 01/07/2004

I can only think you have a faulty model. I live in a fringe area and my Evoke works faultlessly. It has by far the best audio quality I have ever heard in a portable of this size due to a simple but clever bass port in the underside of the case, and is better than any of the 3 other FM portables I have around the home. Readers: ignore the diatribe and try an Evoke for yourselves!

Pure Evoke 1

“Originally purchased the Roberts Gemini 3 Digital...”

Written on: 03/04/2004 by pcomer (2 reviews written)

Originally purchased the Roberts Gemini 3 Digital Radio. Took it back to the shop - sound quality poor - far too much bass. The Pure Evoke 1 DAB is cheaper - sounds great and in my area has a far better signal… Read Full Review

Pure Evoke 1

“First of all I should admit that I'm one of those...”

Written on: 02/01/2004 by bertram2004 (1 review written)

First of all I should admit that I'm one of those bores that goes out and researches a product thoroughly before handing over my hard earned $$£££. After umpteen visits to Comet backed up by looking at various reviews seen on the Internet I finally opted for the Pure Evoke-1 DAB Digital Radio.

From the minute I plugged this set in I was really impressed.
It's very easy to set up and get running. You just plug it in and it automatically scans and picks up the stations available - almost 60 in… Read Full Review

Pure Evoke 1

“I bought this Pure Evoke-1 DAB Digital Radio (with the...”

Written on: 14/12/2003 by colinmcewan (1 review written)

I bought this Pure Evoke-1 DAB Digital Radio (with the extra speaker) for my wife last Christmas. I think it is probably her favourite present ever. The sound quality is very impressive and when I link it in to the hi fi system I find myself listening to music which I would normally eschew simply to hear the cd-like sound.

It is a heavy little beast but this simply reinforces the sense of quality. In value for money terms this is a steal !… Read Full Review