Sony Ericsson P910 Reviews

• Style

Sony Ericsson P910 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sony Ericsson P910

Sony Ericsson P910

“If you want a top of the range communication mobile...”

Written on: 24/07/2006 by Lou Grant (15 reviews written)

If you want a top of the range communication mobile phone that is all but a handheld laptop, you could not do better than to obtain a contract on the Sony Ericsson P910. You will not go wrong. It is s super piece of equipment, and one that I would highly recommend; be that for the individual or as a company communication tool, it is at this moment a top of the range unit. It allows communication using mobile email providers Smartner, IBM, Extended Systems, Visto, RIM Blackberry, Seven and… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Sony Ericsson P910

“The Sony Ericsson P910 mobile phone is the most...”

Written on: 25/06/2006 by josephgreer (1 review written)

The Sony Ericsson P910 mobile phone is the most frustrating, worthless piece of plastic I've ever owned in my life, and I've owned several. The 15 bad points are only a small set of serious gripes I have about this phone. I could go on for hours about it.

I challenge anyone to find a review of this phone that is positive that is an honest review. I've yet to find one that can really say more than a brochure does.

I've spent a significant amount of time typing this review in the hope that… Read Full Review

Boinng's Response to 248664_josephgreer's Review

Written on: 10/08/2006

I have to respond to this because it's just, utter, rubbish. I've never seen such a ridiculously, relentless negative review. Ok, you may have had a few problems, but to imagine that everyone else who ever said a nice thing about this phone is an employee of Sony is just paranoid in the extreme, and simply - blatantly - untrue.
<br/>
<br/>Let me address your post point by point, just so there&#039;s no mistake - and no, I&#039;m not taking any of this out of the brochure...
<br/><i>1. Poor Sound quality: </i>
<br/>
<br/>Simply not true. If this was the case with your model, then it was faulty, simple as that. I’ve used the P910 for a year, I had the P800 before that, and both have been the loudest, clearest, most comfortable mobile phones to actually call people on that I’ve owned (I had several other Ericssons, Siemens, and Nokias in the past).
<br/><i>2. Poor Sound Quality</i>
<br/>
<br/>See above. Doubly untrue.
<br/>
<br/><i>3. Slow OS: This OS is painfully slow. When you click on an option, it takes forever to activate. </i>
<br/>
<br/>Again, it’s possible this was an issue with your particular phone; I’ve heard reports that it could run slow with earlier firmware versions (Sony Ericsson provide an easy online upgrade tool for users to update their own P series phone firmware, incidentally). On the latest firmware, which my phone has been running since I bought it a year ago, it’s perfectly quick. There’s little or no latency when opening or switching applications, and everything is generally very fast (certainly faster than some other smartphones I’ve played with).
<br/>
<br/><i>4. Poor Contact Management: If you receive a call from a number you don&#039;t have in your contact database, the phone doesn&#039;t give you the option of adding a number to a contact you already have. </i>
<br/>
<br/>That’s a minor irritant, but it doesn’t add up to “poor contact management” – the P910 has a fantastic contacts system covering just about everything you can imagine. Each entry has room for every field you’re ever going to use, an associated picture and ringtone, a notes section, it’s fully searchable, it’s indexed, it’s categorized, you can pull up any entry in seconds with the flip up, it synchs perfectly with outlook, it’s unquestionably brilliant – but sometimes you have to copy and paste new numbers into old contacts. Big deal.
<br/>
<br/><i>5. Texts received during a call disable call hang up: If you are on a call and you receive a text message, the phone goes straight into text message mode. Pressing the "hang up" button opens the text message. Once in the text message menu, you have to navigate several levels out before you have the option to end your call again. This has happened to me several times while leaving a voice mail message, and I thought I hung up, but I didn&#039;t. This is a wonderful way for phone companies to get extra minutes off you. </i>
<br/>
<br/>If you don’t want to read the text, press the “back” key and it takes you back to the in-call menu (complete with hang-up button). How hard is that, exactly? Would you rather it didn’t tell you when you had a text?
<br/>
<br/><i>6. Keyboard too small: The keyboard provided is worthless. I&#039;ve tried to use it a couple of times, but it&#039;s so tiny that it&#039;s practically worthless. I&#039;ve used it only a couple times, and that was all I could stand. </i>
<br/>
<br/>You should have perservered – yes it’s small, but yes it’s perfectly usable with a little cursory practice. Given that this phone already offers every other imaginable form of text input, the fact it has QWERTY as well is a minor miracle, and more than deserving of a little more patience when learning how to use it.
<br/>
<br/><i>7. Battery life is horrible: The screen drains the battery faster than a alcoholic drains a wine bottle. You cannot see what&#039;s on the screen if it&#039;s in energy save mode. </i>
<br/>
<br/>Battery life is average for most regular phones, let alone something this clever – 4-5 days is the usual for me. There is no “energy saving mode” because it doesn’t really need one, but if you mean that you can’t see what’s on the screen when the screensaver clock has come up, well, duh.
<br/><i>8. Poor reception: I cannot use this phone in my elevator. </i>
<br/>
<br/>You also won’t be able to use it underground, in the middle of the Atlantic, or on Uranus either – in fact you won’t be able to use it anywhere that there isn’t a signal. This is true of most mobile phones, I find. If your previous phones could work in such conditions, it’s probably because they had a SAR rating off the scale and were frying your brain to a crisp.
<br/><i>9. Long latency for reception recovery: </i>
<br/>
<br/>35 seconds is not a long time, and is actually pretty standard for modern mobiles. Remember that the more often a phone polls for reception, the shorter the battery life.
<br/><i>10. Web Surfing doesn&#039;t work: </i>
<br/>
<br/>Oh yes it most certainly does – install Opera (a free download) and you have just about the best mobile browsing experience available. It should really come preinstalled, but it’s a synch to do it yourself. The built in browser is good also, but can’t compete with the industry leader – and doesn’t need to.
<br/>
<br/>Just for info, the error message you quote ("Program Closed: Program Main Reason Code KERN-EXEC Reason number 3") is the standard memory-error message that UIQ (the P series operating system) produces when just about any application goes wrong for any reason, on the P800, P900, and P910. I agree it’s not very helpful, but the reason it’s common (and can be found all over Google) is that it can be caused by just about anything including – in many cases – buggy third party software. It’s the Symbian equivalent of a Pocket PC locking up, except that it doesn’t lock up and it’s perfectly recoverable.
<br/>
<br/><i>11. Texts lost mid-stream: If you are typing a text and you open the flap to use the keyboard or other text entry mode, you are kicked out of the text mode. </i>
<br/>
<br/>Not true – if you open the flip mid-text, it opens the text you were writing in full-screen mode (for pen or keyboard entry).
<br/>
<br/><i>Conversely, if you are entering text for a SMS with the flap open and you close it for key pad entry, you are kicked out of SMS mode. The message is saved in the Draft folder automatically, but you can only access this folder with the flap open. </i>
<br/>
<br/>That’s true, and sometimes annoying, but more often that not I close the flap mid-text when I need to do stop texting and do something else (like put the phone away), at which time I want the text to go - but be saved for later.
<br/>
<br/><i>12. Texts lost if call received: If someone rings you while you are typing a text, you are kicked out of text mode. If you pick up the call, your message is saved in the draft folder. The only way to reach the draft folder is to open the flap. </i>
<br/>
<br/>True – but then, if someone’s calling you, you’re unlikely to want to carry on writing your text at that exact moment. I agree it would be nice to be able to access drafts in “flip up” mode, but it’s an omission I can forgive when the rest of the messaging experience is so good.
<br/>
<br/>Let’s dwell on the positive for a moment – here we have a SMS inbox (and outbox) that’s virtually limitless, since it dynamically shares 64mb of internal memory – you’ll never delete a text again. We have easy access to every formatting option we could wish for when composing (in either flip up or down mode). We can type, we can use T9, we can use handwriting… we can draw our own pictures… we’ve got a great MMS editor.. we’ve got as many email boxes as we want, we can schedule our downloads, we can read HTML emails, we can open or edit virtually any attachment… what terrible messaging support!
<br/>
<br/><i>13. Can not end a call when engaged with other application: If the flap is open and you are typing a text, or playing a game or whatever, you cannot hang up the phone. You have to close the flap to do this, in which case, anything you were doing can be lost, especially when SMS-ing. Again, you have to open and access draft mode, which is only accessible with the flap open. </i>
<br/>
<br/>Just to clarify one important point – nothing you’re doing on this phone is ever “lost” in any situation – if you switch away from an application, it will save whatever you’re doing.
<br/>
<br/>Second important point – you’ve obviously not twigged this, but all the actual calling and other phone functions on the P910 are handled by an ever-present application simply called “Phone”. When you initiate or receive a call, Phone is invariably in the foreground, presenting all the options you need to hang up, put someone on hold, turn on the speakerphone etc. It’s possible to navigate away from Phone and start writing a text, or playing a game or whatever while the call is ongoing, because hey – this device can multitask. Switching back to Phone again is quite easy (set it as a shortcut if you find it hard), and closing the flip always returns you to phone mode anyway.
<br/><i>14. Calendar faulty when syncing: </i>
<br/>
<br/>Works fine for me, that’s all I can say.
<br/>
<br/><i>15. MMS doesn&#039;t work: I took a photo one time and tried to send it to a friend, and I got another application error the vendor could not explain away.</i>
<br/>
<br/>MMS works just fine – I’ve taken photos many times and sent them to many friends without a hint of a problem (like any other P910 owner you might ask). I can only assume that (a) your operator settings were wrong, and (b) your vendor was some kind of idiot. Neither is the phone&#039;s fault.

Sony Ericsson P910

“I have had my Sony Ericsson P910 mobile phone for over...”

Written on: 03/01/2006 by stricklin (19 reviews written)

I have had my Sony Ericsson P910 mobile phone for over a year now, and I am very happy with it.

I could never use all the features it has to offer, but the features I do use work extremely well. I am not very happy with the camera, but I don't use it much anyway. The above average size and weight may be a bit of a downside, but as my phone is always on my desk or dashboard it is perfectly OK for me.

I can't wait for the soon to arrive P990i!… Read Full Review

Sony Ericsson P910

“The Sony Ericsson P910 is not a bad size phone, but it...”

Written on: 30/06/2005 by aalpha17 (1 review written)

The Sony Ericsson P910 is not a bad size phone, but it did not match my expectations, it's not a full PDA as one would expext, it has a poor camera size compare to other Sony phones, it's battery life is poor.

I have decided not to use the phone am considering changing the phone to the T-mobile MDA 111 or wait for the P1000 to comes out… Read Full Review

Sony Ericsson P910

“I bought the phone online through Vodafone (UK market)...”

Written on: 02/03/2005 by marksfb (1 review written)

I bought the phone online through Vodafone (UK market) paying about £150 for an 18 month contract with monthly line rental of about £25 - this included free weekend calls for 6 months, 200 minutes anytime calls and 500 free texts or data equivalent.
I had several years ago bought the Ericsson R380 smartphone which was rubbish with email and internet not working and Ericsson and BT Cellnet (service provider) passing the book on whom to blame. Therefore I was a bit cautious when purchasing this… Read Full Review

Sony Ericsson P910

“I recently upgraded from a P900 to the Sony Ericsson...”

Written on: 13/01/2005 by ssghafori (9 reviews written)

I recently upgraded from a P900 to the Sony Ericsson P910. To be honest there is nothing the P910 can do that the P900 can't. Although the P910 is built on the same platform as the P900 and for that matter the P800, its a completely different device.
To begin with lets discuss the main phone features:
Reception is satisfactory. But unlike other brands , most SE devices I have laid my hands on, with a weak reception act quiet normal, that is you don't hear anything and the other party don't hear… Read Full Review

Cowcalves's Response to ssghafori's Review

Written on: 21/02/2005

Thanks for the review, you've sealed the deal I'll be getting one of these very soon.

Flyguy's Response to ssghafori's Review

Written on: 04/01/2011

will keep an eye out for one these! thanks

Sony Ericsson P910

“The Sony Ericsson P910 has everything I ever needed on...”

Written on: 28/12/2004 by tanveerym (1 review written)

The Sony Ericsson P910 has everything I ever needed on a cell phone, I have tried many phones in my life and keep changing them, but this one is my best one. The network is quite good on it (I have another phone on same network), sound quality is excellent, screen has a 262k display so amazing video quality, can get loads of applications for it from internet sites so there is no end to it… Read Full Review

Sony Ericsson P910

“I purchased the Sony Ericsson P910 to have a phone...”

Written on: 26/11/2004 by hyigit (1 review written)

I purchased the Sony Ericsson P910 to have a phone with additional gadgets such as calendar, hand writing recogniton, internet, camera, etc.

But phone reception has really disappointed me, as even on Bhosphorus bridge in Istanbul, it was not able to talk. So found this site upon my search for comparison reviews for similar products, because I will most probably sell and buy a phone first of all.

Additionally camera better to be with zoom fn… Read Full Review

Kosmo's Response to hyigit's Review

Written on: 01/02/2005

You never get a proper reception on the Bosphorus bridge as you change between base-stations.