Costa Rica, Guanacaste, Occidental Allegro Papagayo Reviews

Media Gallery for Costa Rica, Guanacaste, Occidental Allegro Papagayo

Costa Rica, Guanacaste, Occidental Allegro Papagayo
Costa Rica, Guanacaste, Occidental Allegro Papagayo

“Private, friendly, excellent food and native animals”

Written on: 17/03/2013 by hkinwoman (1 review written)

My husband and I just got back from Guanacaste on an Apple Vacation. We have taken several Apple Vacations in the past and have NEVER been disappointed! This vacation was absolutely no different! I read the reviews before we left Ohio and was just a little hesitant but we went with an open mind and were never unhappy from the moment we stepped off the plane. Our driver picked us up at the airport and took us to the hotel - about a half hour ride. We were very tired from traveling most of… Read Full Review

“Overall, my husband and I enjoyed our stay here. ”

Written on: 19/11/2009

Overall, my husband and I enjoyed our stay here.
Positive: Excellent food, service, and day trip options
Negative: Our room got flooded out 2 nights, due to heavy rain storms - do not get a ground-level hotel room!… Read Full Review

“On arrival at the resort after a long flight from...”

Written on: 02/11/2008 by BRIAN COWAN (1 review written)

On arrival at the resort after a long flight from Scotland. My wife and I were met by a wave of friendlness by the manager super ? Mario and his staff which set the tone for the next two wks. Nothing was to much trouble our rooms were bright, clean, well maintained etc. The gardens were immaculate too. There was wildlife everywhere in abundance. The restaurants and including the themed ones were well presented. The meals and snacks went from exotic to plain and at times mouthwatering. We… Read Full Review

“Everyone was so friendly, even all the other guests...”

Written on: 20/09/2008 by lmanuel1983 (1 review written)

Everyone was so friendly, even all the other guests and the staff did everything to make you enjoy everything about your stay! I will definitely be going back as soon as I can… Read Full Review

“In my opinion several issues described above need to...”

Written on: 20/08/2008

In my opinion several issues described above need to be addressed to bring it any where near the standard of Riu Hotels which are superb. I would not recommend… Read Full Review

“Swiss Travel that has an office at this resort was...”

Written on: 19/02/2008 by Kentucky Derby Girl (1 review written)

Swiss Travel that has an office at this resort was fantastic. The tours, especially the evening bull riding, cultural dancing, dinner event was wonderful. We even got to learn some traditional Costa Rican dances.
Our tour guide was fantastic. A biologist and university professor, he was knowledgeable and kind. Patient considering all the questions we asked… Read Full Review

“It was a pleasant stay at the Guanacaste, Occidental...”

Written on: 15/12/2007

It was a pleasant stay at the Guanacaste, Occidental Allegro Papagayo..

Although there was no bath in the room, only a shower and the food was excellent..

“Was really let down from arrival to departure...”

Written on: 04/08/2007 by Doogiesd (1 review written)

Was really let down from arrival to departure throughout the trip. I would never go here again.

Our group of 11 on our pre-announced arrival was greeted by a counter staff that was rude and unhappy that we all arrived 40 minutes before check in time and while we waited were told by the bar staff that they hear that a lot.

When we finally got to our room we found it still in it's "used" state from the last guests and were told we had to go back up the hill to reception for another room and… Read Full Review

“I had my wedding at Allegro Papagayo on February 8th,...”

Written on: 01/08/2007 by littlebug27 (1 review written)

I had my wedding at Allegro Papagayo on February 8th, 2006 with my 'husband'.

When we arrived the wedding was planned, the day day before the wedding we were advised we had no photographer all of a sudden. because of this we had a friend take photo's, although they were not professional quality.

At the dinner we did not receive a wedding cake, as was also in our agreement and part of our payment.

On top of all this we were advised during the ceremony by the lawyer that married us that we… Read Full Review

Lovepbandj's Response to littlebug27's Review

Written on: 15/12/2008

Wow - Why on earth did you give them a rating of "6." We are here currently and have had only half the problems you had and still may only rate this place a 4. You are generous!

“I would not recommend this place to anyone. Next time...”

Written on: 09/06/2007 by steramir1 (1 review written)

I would not recommend this place to anyone. Next time I will pay extra to stay at the 4 Seasons or Villa Sol in Condovac, the beach is also much nicer in Villa Sol… Read Full Review

“Recommendation, I took a day trip with friends to the...”

Written on: 04/06/2007 by NYTravelGuy100 (1 review written)

Recommendation, I took a day trip with friends to the city Tamirindo, which is a bit more developed and has some nice hotels. This was a highlight and would recommend staying at the nicest hotel they have as an alternative to Papaygayo… Read Full Review

“Occidental Allegro Papagayo hotel is a wonderful...”

Written on: 04/01/2006 by samantha23 (1 review written)

Occidental Allegro Papagayo hotel is a wonderful resort in a beautiful country. It has great weather, beautiful pool, high tower to look out into the ocean, fun filled tours, and a great New Year's Eve party… Read Full Review

Nytravelguy100's Response to 223608_samantha23's Review

Written on: 04/06/2007

Your expectations of a nice resort are very low. The rooms and food was poor and bug ridden. You can not have buffet style food outside in the rainforest. Bugs prevail! The beach is ugly.

“A report was made about the Occidental Allegra...”

Written on: 12/10/2005 by Hawk007eye (1 review written)

A report was made about the Occidental Allegra Papagayo in Costa Rica, but the operations manager thought there was nothing to complain about. Maybe he likes par-boiled rice, green chicken, leftover seafood medley, and much much more. I did not expect such poor quality, nor did the other members of our group of 40. They are way out of touch with good food and beverages.

Costa Rica has great treats elsewhere, but not at the Occidental Allegro Papagayo… Read Full Review

Nytravelguy100's Response to Hawk007eye's Review

Written on: 04/06/2007

This was accurate with my May 2007 visit. Food was bad, beds were really old, bugs everywhere. Staff non-responsive to problems concerns. Power went out my first two days there for a couple of hours.

“Allegro Papagayo by Occidental in Costa Rica ”

Written on: 08/01/2005 by Reece (1 review written)

Allegro Papagayo by Occidental in Costa Rica
Pat & Reece, Newmarket, Ont
December 2004

We have traveled extensively all over the Caribbean, Mexico and Central America for over 35 years now and now feel compelled to finally write a review. This is our second trip to Costa Rica and this trip confirms what we felt the first time we were there.
This country has the largest diversity in landscape we have ever seen, one hour you can be laying on a beach, next hour be in a rain forest or at any… Read Full Review

“The Resort has more of the traditonal Tico "flare". I...”

Written on: 07/10/2004 by terabull (1 review written)

The Resort has more of the traditonal Tico "flare". I stayed with 8 other people, 2 parents, a newlywed (son and his wife), 2 younger brothers (16 and 18), my best friend (girl, 20), her boyfriend (Tico, 23) and myself. This resort has things to offer each one of us. The FOOD was amazing, both the buffet and restaurant. The staff was FRIENDLY and had an interest in getting to know you. The entertainment was great, always wanting you to get involved. We all wanted to just have fun and… Read Full Review

“Overall, I would recommend the Allegro Papagayo for a...”

Written on: 29/07/2004 by charlene13 (1 review written)

Overall, I would recommend the Allegro Papagayo for a great family vacation. I would return to this resort. By American standards, it is about a 3 star resort. However, by Costa Rican standards, it is a 5 star. Many of the hotels in Costa Rica do not have a/c or hot water, but the Allegro did have all of the modern amenities such as a/c, hot water, cable TV, hair drier, and daily cleaning. If you just want to relax on the beach, Costa Rica is not the place for you. This country is a great place… Read Full Review

Graciela's Response to charlene13's Review

Written on: 12/12/2005

I know this is an old review, yet I find it important to say something. First of all I'm happy you liked Costa Rica. As a costa rican myself we are very happy when people leave our country with a smile on their face. But I do have to remark that you were probably misinformed about the hotels with A/C. Actually 85% of hotels, especially the ones located in beaches do have air conditioning. I work in tourism so i have travelled around Costa Rica quite a lot and every hotel i have ever stayed for $50 and up a night has had air conditioner in the room. If you ever plan on coming back please contact a better travel agency because they might have lied to you to get you to go there for other reasons than your best interest. My recommendation is Costa Rican Vacations, they truly care about the clients and Vacation City, are serious and run by americans so they are aware of your needs.
<br>
<br>Graciela

Nytravelguy100's Response to charlene13's Review

Written on: 04/06/2007

Your review is old, I just got back from the resort on 29 May 2007. The first two nights the power went out for a few hours, with no helpful explanation. I feel we were lucky it wasn't every night.
<br/>
<br/>All types of bugs were in the room. Mosquitoes, centipedes, spiders of all kinds, ants, big beetles and other mystery bugs. Didn't get one good night sleep, except the nights I drank enough to pass out.
<br/>
<br/>Bugs attacked me at every meal. I was literally chased away from my table by a swarm of bees.
<br/>
<br/>The main eatery is outdoors and buffet style, you cannot have this type of setup in the middle of the rainforest and not have a serious bug problem. Typically, if you find one bug in your food it's unacceptable, at Allegro Papagayo it's a given and you have no real alternative.
<br/>
<br/>Rooms were much like a US motel.
<br/>
<br/>Outside of the resort, the Costa Rica activities were really fun and the trip highlight. The halfday canopy tour and bottom fishing trip I recommend.

“I had so much fun in Costa Rica and I can't wait to go...”

Written on: 09/04/2004 by dmbblndie14 (1 review written)

I had so much fun in Costa Rica and I can't wait to go back. In fact, the Occidental Allegro Papagayo made me feel so welcome, I think I am going to work there too. I can't wait to go back. I miss all the stuff, like my banana bungees and so much more. The beach is so warm and the pool is really big. I like the swim up bar too. This was the best!!!!… Read Full Review

“My fiance and I stayed at the Allegro Papagayo on...”

Written on: 02/03/2004 by jkoersel (1 review written)

My fiance and I stayed at the Allegro Papagayo on February 21-28, 2004. It was both of our first time in Costa Rica. We're both in our late 20's, and we were traveling with just the two of us. We were looking for a relaxing hotel, with a decent beach and decent food.

Overall, we were not pleased with this hotel. I'll summarize the good and bad issues we experienced.

Bad Points:

The food was pretty much terrible. With the all-inclsive package, the hotel provides a buffet-style meal… Read Full Review

“Over all I would recommend the Occidental Allegro...”

Written on: 27/02/2004 by shoregrrls27 (1 review written)

Over all I would recommend the Occidental Allegro Papagayo to friends and family. Just make sure you are ready to be in the middle of nowhere. ALso, bring plenty of bug spray because the bugs bites look like chickenpox!… Read Full Review

“All stayed at the Allegro Papagayo Jan 14th - 21st...”

Written on: 23/01/2004 by JackiBriggs (1 review written)

All stayed at the Allegro Papagayo Jan 14th - 21st 2004 Trip Report for Costa Rica. Guanacaste Region. 6 of us traveling together. Husband and myself are 26 & 24 years old. Both sets of parents are around 50 years old. . Via Apple Vacations.
What a beautiful country! I would live there in a heart beat. We had an excellent time.
Day 1 Thursday - Half day costal Fishing with Resort Divers. Arranged prior to arrival via email with owner Viviane. Captain and First Mate - negro picked us up on… Read Full Review