Sony RDR GX7 Reviews

• Sound Quality

Sony RDR GX7 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sony RDR GX7

Sony RDR GX7

“My Sony RDR GX7 worked really well the last time I...”

Written on: 04/04/2009

My Sony RDR GX7 worked really well the last time I used it. Its just been sitting for about three years now and I just got it out ,and the 1st disk I put in there got jammed. That Lead me here. I agree with the previous4 reviews on this recorder. There are only a few hard to use features and the input output choices are endless. There's even some in the front of this one. How bout an emergency eject button Sony. I Haven't had to take it to the shop yet, But I am about to go slap it @ a little… Read Full Review

Sony RDR GX7

“There are some terrible design faults with the RDR-GX7...”

Written on: 17/07/2004 by ackees (1 review written)

There are some terrible design faults with the RDR-GX7 that make it almost unusable.
1, It is very picky about which DVD disks it can use.
2, It damages DVD disks irreparably.
Sometimes a disk that once worked with it then stops working, and the unit gives the dreaded error 'dirty disk'.
3, If you get a bad disk error you often cannot get it out because there is no emergency disk eject, so the unit 'locks up'.
4, There is no off switch or reset, the only option is to pull the plug or flip the… Read Full Review

Vroom's Response to ackees's Review

Written on: 07/01/2005

Hey, Yes I fully agree with you and your review, I bought a new GX7 5 months ago. GX7 is great. I know disc DVD-/+RW "Sony" very well. Careful what depends different name brand disc (not Sony), I had lots test with any disc. Same happened GX7 was freeze while I tried any press but still freeze, so have to disconnected the power then re-connected like reset. I found disc is no good because cheaper like Laser better with use Disc Sony. I tested different few brand disc are ok, name TDK and SKC. If any brand disc DVD-R or cheaper so fine but only write once then finalized after recorded and/or erase. A few months later my GX7 has a problem, it hardly play and record with DVD+RW but still Sony! Of course had never problem freeze before. I already dropped to my service a week ago but have under warranty. I have heard that sound should Len Laser not designed as sometime problem like weak! I hope it is upgrading better, I'll find out from my service answer me soon, then I'll let you know on Comment. Many thanks, Great to hear from your review.

248051_John Fernandez's Response to ackees's Review

Written on: 21/06/2006

The Sony's failure to recognise a new Version 2 DVD -RW discs is a major disadvantage with the RDR- GX7 unit.

Tdr's Response to ackees's Review

Written on: 07/08/2005

Yes, I agree absolutely with the previous comments. Reads a disc OK for a few times, then locks up while 'Loading disc data'. Those who have bought this model and not yet had this problem can count themselves very lucky.

Jazznme's Response to ackees's Review

Written on: 24/07/2005

In reading this review....I felt like I was reading my own experience with this DVD recorder. I purchased it 2/04 and am equally, if not more, disappointed.
<br>If I had been diligent, it would have been replaced by my maintenance warranty already. However, I did not always rush it back to repair--which always took over a month, because it had to sent back to Sony. Sony!!! And I trusted the Sony name!
<br>Now on it's 3rd repair cycle--the dealer is offering to trade it in....for a model that costs...less than $300. I paid $499 and this model has advanced features, so we have not resolved the trade yet.
<br>I wish I had read this review prior to buying this unit. "Disk dirty" is such a dirty, dreaded phrase. And now I have ALL this disks that I can't finalize and will lose hours and hours of editing work. I am mad!!!

Sony RDR GX7

“Sony has one of those names attached to it, much like...”

Written on: 08/01/2004 by Darren2020 (3 reviews written)

Sony has one of those names attached to it, much like mercedes and bmw. It's the name which means quality and while this is true, you're soon find that there are other players on the market which do the same thing but for a fraction of the cost.

However what the Sony RDR-GX7 does it does well, it has the looks that show a elegant but classy product. Most DVD recorders are slightly confusing to get to grips with, those who say it's a doodle lie, you have to choose the quality, the right… Read Full Review

Sony RDR GX7

“The Sony RDR-GX7 is Sony's flagship DVD Recorder and...”

Written on: 12/11/2003 by wom (2 reviews written)

The Sony RDR-GX7 is Sony's flagship DVD Recorder and is pricier than other models available; but the extensive feature list and the dual compatability make it worth the extra.

Its a dream to set-up - the machine does all the work. Using it is simplicity itself and the quality of recording and playback is great.

Also, the on-screen information is very clear and well-presented, which makes overall use easy and uncomplicated.

The i-Link jack makes it very easy to use to record from a digital… Read Full Review

Freefly's Response to wom's Review

Written on: 08/02/2004

I'd say that if Wom does'nt work for Sony my names doctor dolittle.
<br> Jusy my 10c worth

Charjeb's Response to wom's Review

Written on: 18/11/2004

To the person stating they had not had the Sony RDR-GX7 to play any DVD burnt on the computer, please check your manual. It states in there that any DVD made on a PC will be erased when trying to play on the unit. JB

Jo90's Response to wom's Review

Written on: 18/07/2004

Bought this product recently. Easy to set up. Excellent quality from TV recordings and user friendly. Expensive though. However, I have not yet got the machine to read any DVD's burned on my computer, no matter what programme I have used to do it. Can anyone help with this before I go completely mad? Thank you.

Topgunn's Response to wom's Review

Written on: 04/07/2004

Well, I don't know so much...I evaluated a number of different units, Pioneer went belly up on me 3 weeks after we bought it, but the two Sony's we bought at the same time....ahhh now that's heaven on earth!