Philips DVD-R70 Reviews

• Sound Quality

Philips DVD-R70 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Philips DVD-R70

Philips DVD-R70

“Took this recorder out of a cupboard, after 6 years of...”

Written on: 26/09/2010

Took this recorder out of a cupboard, after 6 years of storage and about a year of use, as a "stop-gap" - until I choose the ideal PVR (my new home doesn't accommodate a PC in the living room which used to be my my main form of TV recording - started using direct to HDD recording back in 2004).
All the faults mentioned in other reviews have appeared, skipping, refusing to record on the last half hour of a dvd, etc ... machine is unuseable !
Was bought for £350 at the time, an entry level DVD… Read Full Review

Philips DVD-R70

“Initially was pleased with the functions and...”

Written on: 03/10/2006 by basherbee (1 review written)

Initially was pleased with the functions and capabilities of the Philips DVD-R70, even though the fast forward function never worked as it should have and after a few weeks disc errors started occurring. Skipping and freezing became a part of every DVD recorded or played! Two returns to manufacturer failed to rectify faults and the machine is no longer used. Philips appear to be no longer at the forefront or cutting edge of technological innovation… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Philips DVD-R70

“I will never buy any Philips product again. The...”

Written on: 26/06/2006 by tinduck (1 review written)

I will never buy any Philips product again. The Philips DVD-R70 was my second DVD recorder. The first was a DVD-R880, which had all the faults of the DVD-R70, but I was told that it was due to a faulty batch of lasers!! It has good picture quality on recorded discs, but the remote control response is lethargic to say the least. It makes its own mind up if it's going to play a bought DVD until the end without freezing or returning to the start menu. It also suffers from very slow load times… Read Full Review

Philips DVD-R70

“Initially after buying the Philips DVD-R70 player I...”

Written on: 05/10/2005 by endafoley (1 review written)

Initially after buying the Philips DVD-R70 player I was quite happy, but found it to be incredibly sensitive. Sometimes it would just decide not to allow further recording on half full DVD's. Unfortunately this was the start, and fortunately I had kept my old player as a back up.

Soon I ended up using the old player about 50% of the time as it would take several attempts at loading and reloading to get the Philips player working.

Now, a year and a half after buying it, I can honestly say it… Read Full Review

Moredisgusted's Response to 212666_endafoley's Review

Written on: 02/02/2006

I have experienced exactly the same type of problems with frequent messages of disc errors, even when a brand new disc is used.
Other problems include an error message "no disc" again even with a new disc.
After resetting using manufacturers settings it recorded for a while but after 4 or 5 recordings the whole range of problems occured again.

☆☆☆☆☆
Philips DVD-R70

“I paid £357 ($800) for my new Philips DVD Recorder on...”

Written on: 16/04/2005 by davidmbus (1 review written)

I paid £357 ($800) for my new Philips DVD Recorder on November 2004.
The following problems began 14 months after purchaser:
My machine had a loud humming after playing for over half an hour.
It started jumping halfway through playing new commercial DVDs
The picture started throwing up block pixels.
On some DVDs it refused to play saying disc error or just shutting the system down.
I see from various discussion forums that this is a well known problem with these machines, they just stop… Read Full Review

Philips DVD-R70

“The Philips DVD R70 is a good machine on the face of...”

Written on: 14/10/2004 by stevel (3 reviews written)

The Philips DVD R70 is a good machine on the face of it, did everything one expected. Easy to set up and record.
Devloped problems with play- first kept hanging up then started jumping.
Sent it back- took 2 weeks to repair then developed jumping problem
Am now getting money back and buying Liteon-5005… Read Full Review

Philips DVD-R70

“I bought the recorder to replace my aging VHS...”

Written on: 26/08/2004 by unkamik1939 (1 review written)

I bought the recorder to replace my aging VHS recorder. At first I was delighted it was easy to set up and picture quality was excellent in all but the 6hr mode when there is some strange shift of pixels. Then it locked up and I had to unplug it to reset it. Then it started to reject the +rw disks, so back to Philips as the supplier (Curry's) couldn't or wouldn't repair it, some 2months later I insisted on a new replacement as I would not wait any longer.
I am now thinking of a replacement… Read Full Review

Philips DVD-R70

“I'm from Athens, Greece and I have been waiting for a...”

Written on: 22/06/2004 by manasta (9 reviews written)

I'm from Athens, Greece and I have been waiting for a cheap DVD recorder. I bought it 3 months ago. This Philips DVD R70 DVD Recorder is very stylish and simple to set up. The recordings are very good quality, depending on source material. I have copied some of my VHS and Digital8 video-camera tapes and the results were very good.

But It can't play some DVDs and Video CDs, which is very disappointing because those DVDs can play on my PC. I also had to pull the plug out from the wall several… Read Full Review

Philips DVD-R70

“After Having a Philips DVDR-880 DVD Recorder from...”

Written on: 13/04/2004 by Freddiearcher (1 review written)

After Having a Philips DVDR-880 DVD Recorder from Argos, which was poor quality when it consented to work - and after a couple of months died altogether! Argos offered to exchange it for a New Philips DVD R70, £20 cheaper - what had I to lose, but I must admit the 70 is a vast improvement in quality & reliability, and spending the £20 on a "Sonel" Scart lead, improved it's versatility in "other ways" which I will not go into here. Yes, this seems a great player, it is a shame that an old firm… Read Full Review

Chris D's Response to Freddiearcher's Review

Written on: 11/05/2004

Philips have been doing this for years. They bring out products and then let other companies develop them. Then after a short time they drop the line. They also have a problem when it comes to customer service.
<br>
<br>It's a shame as they do produce some great products.

Philips DVD-R70

“I have to say this Philips DVD R70 DVD Recorder is not...”

Written on: 01/04/2004 by a4pacific (3 reviews written)

I have to say this Philips DVD R70 DVD Recorder is not mine, it belongs to my friend who bought it a few days ago. He recorded a DVD from his camcorder. Out of the 3 Philips DVD player I have (2x625 and 1x728) only one of the 625 is willing to play the disk. The disk is also not playable on my Logix 3300 and Hitachi DVD (very old model), it will play on my PC and my daughter's Proline portable DVD Player.

It is just too unreliable.

My friend also try to do the multiregion hack, from I think… Read Full Review

162850_Kingarthur's Response to a4pacific's Review

Written on: 19/07/2004

It won't play on your dvd players because the Philips R70 uses "plus-r" discs. Most dvd players only recognise "minus-r" discs.

A4Pacific's Response to a4pacific's Review

Written on: 17/08/2004

My comment stated that the same DVD was played on 2 players of the same model type .i.e. Philips 625, one can play one can't.

A4Pacific's Response to a4pacific's Review

Written on: 17/08/2004

The correct kind of disks were used, the DVD players which we tried on can play all +r or -R DVDS.

Philips DVD-R70

“After my dvd player died, poor thing.i thought it was...”

Written on: 14/03/2004 by rburgess2003 (14 reviews written)

After my dvd player died, poor thing.i thought it was time to buy a dvd recorder as i am a fan off wrestleing luckly i have a place called richersound in my city where the Philips DVD R70 is £235 muti-region ,it was very easy to setup, the manual is rubbish it does it all on the tv for you ,just one scart lead in the tv and one in the sky+ vcr socket tape anything on sky then when its done go to the sky planner and press the red copy button on the sky remote it then tells the recorder to come… Read Full Review

Philips DVD-R70

“After reading various other reviews of this Philips...”

Written on: 15/02/2004 by cjb121 (3 reviews written)

After reading various other reviews of this Philips DVD R70 and other DVD recorders I decided to be canny and ' try before buying', by judicious use of stores returns policy. This is my first try at any DVD player/ recorder and I wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

This R70 recorder is very stylish and simple to set up, for those with a bit of savvy anyway. The recordings made to RW and R are identical and very good quality, depending on source material. If you are recording off sat or… Read Full Review

Philips DVD-R70

“Well I bought this Philips DVD R70 unit from John...”

Written on: 08/12/2003 by jcohen (1 review written)

Well I bought this Philips DVD R70 unit from John Lewis at the beginning of September to replace a faulty DVDR880 (see reviews of that product). First two months seemed pretty OK. Had to pull the plug out at the wall a couple of times to get the thing to cme back to life but nothing more. Now in month three it's started to stop recognising +rw disks (so you can't record).

It seems Philips just can't get the build quality right on these units. When they work they are beautiful, which makes it… Read Full Review

Philips DVD-R70

“Poor response in resolving issues around system...”

Written on: 16/11/2003 by dl1 (1 review written)

Poor response in resolving issues around system freezing up from Philips, my DVDR70 has been with service agents longer than I owned it, I aim to get a full refund and purchase the Pioneer 3100s… Read Full Review