Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX Reviews

• Reliability

Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX

Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX

“I currently have a 1999 Legacy Estate to use as my...”

Written on: 23/05/2010

I currently have a 1999 Legacy Estate to use as my work car.

Many of my friends own, or have owned, Subaru's over the years and I've generally heard good things about them. What a disappointment this legacy has turned out to be.

Although a quad cam 2.5 litre model the performance could be tactfully described as 'lacklustre'. Handling likewise and in fact when towing it becomes truly alarming, wallowing all over the road. The only aspect in which it excels is its ability to consume massive… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 09/09/2011

Those problems sound more like poor maintenance than unreliability. I wonder how regularly the car was serviced.

Leonarfd's Comment

Written on: 16/02/2013

You have been more than unlucky, I have used over the last year 3 times less on repairs than on my BMW e39 525ia. My friends passat he has used 4 times as much over 5 years than I have on my Legacy 2.5 gx 2000 over 10 years now. Great cars!!

“I had a 1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX Saloon. It had...”

Written on: 13/07/2009 by hakanakah (2 reviews written)

I had a 1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX Saloon. It had lether interior and climate control and all the gimmicks that coem with the standart edition. The driving position was good, engine was perfect, Consumption was less than my 2 lt Mitsubishi Galant (registered in 2000) at around 11lt per 100 km in mixed use. Servicing and maintenance costs were high but reliability and solid build quality made up for that. I sold it recently and bought a REnaul Megane Scenic (not my idea family pressure!!). There… Read Full Review

“I traded in my faithful Mitsubishi Galant estate for...”

Written on: 13/05/2009 by arn (1 review written)

I traded in my faithful Mitsubishi Galant estate for one of these Subaru legacy 2.5 GX estate and immediately knew I had made a mistake. (Gut feeling).

Subaru was a 2.5 gx automatic model registered in 2000
Full mainly Subaru service history.
Mileage 111000

Ok the first 2 weeks went ok, when I noticed that sometimes when I put the car into drive nothing happened, the car was not even attempting to move off, then it would jerk off if you put your foot down which can be quite hazardous.

It… Read Full Review

“A very good car, a good option,trouble free car. Good...”

Written on: 27/03/2008

A very good car, a good option,trouble free car. Good ground clearance, great handling, and it gives you a safe driving sensation… Read Full Review

“I've owned Subaru estates for over 7 years now and I'm...”

Written on: 09/07/2007 by lunarjim45 (1 review written)

I've owned Subaru estates for over 7 years now and I'm a huge fan. They are reliable, practical, fast and well equipped if you go for a higher spec. I love the safety aspect and my wife and kids use mine mainly. They grip the road well and are solidly built.

Advice to any buyer? Always, always, always go for a full Subaru history car. All roos have quirks that the mechanics check and fix if necessary (at a price of course..) but then again they never leave you stranded. You can pick up a… Read Full Review

“The Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX is overall a very good car....”

Written on: 06/07/2006 by Aleks147 (1 review written)

The Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX is overall a very good car. Decent performance, although it could do with more power, reasonable economy considering it is 4WD. Handling is fairly good, very safe & secure. With the GX Lux pack, the spec has just about everything you could wish for. Reliability has been great so far, as you would expect from any Japanese car. Well worth considering as a used buy, certainly far more interesting and a bit different from the usual German cars which are now so common… Read Full Review

“The Subaru Legacy estate 2.5GX auto is a great...”

Written on: 19/04/2006 by O Rait (1 review written)

The Subaru Legacy estate 2.5GX auto is a great all-round family car. We've taken it to all round the UK from Devon to Scotland, and across the continent to the Alps, it has never let us down. It is not a cheap car to run. Car has done 78k miles, we have owned it for just over a year, in addition to scheduled servicing (7,500 mile intervals) we have carried out the following:
Cylinder head gasket (common problem) - £1,200
Four wheel allignment (required at intervals) - £250
Ignition coil, leads… Read Full Review

“With 107,000 safe miles under it's belt the Legacy is...”

Written on: 26/03/2006 by ajs167 (1 review written)

With 107,000 safe miles under it's belt the Legacy is still performing like new.
The handling is fun especially as the SVDC system is there ready to catch the car when my own skill runs out.
I choose the car because of the inherent safety of the AWD and because of Subaru's excellent reliabilty record. I have run two Subarus before and have been impressed.
The whole vehicle appears to be bullet-proof and I am extremely happy with it… Read Full Review

240421_John L E Smith's Response to ajs167's Review

Written on: 27/04/2006

Beware the 2.5L 4 Cam suffers frequent head gasket failures. I had two in 106,000 miles.

Ajs167's Response to ajs167's Review

Written on: 26/05/2006

My Car is the newer model-not 4-cam.

“Air suspension lost all pressure and left the Subaru...”

Written on: 01/12/2005 by rpaynter (2 reviews written)

Air suspension lost all pressure and left the Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX on its bump stops. Dealer unable identify exactly what was wrong. Replaced the pump (over £600). 1st time I put it in High, it won't come back down!… Read Full Review

“A great concept... quality jap car with 4wd and degree...”

Written on: 09/06/2005 by ab harrisson (1 review written)

A great concept... quality jap car with 4wd and degree of differentiation but the Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX doesn't live up to it.
Expensive servicing, engine problems and wheel bearing problems mean I won't be getting another one.
It surprises me they are so often reported as being well built. The problems I've had and heard of from others don't appear to bear this out… Read Full Review

Hillsider69's Response to 196875_ab harrisson's Review

Written on: 13/05/2006

I have had the same problems with our 98 Forester. Also it eats discs, they just warp and we are not hard brakers! The local sub' dealer messed up the rear left bearing job so badly it failed its mot a month later and the half shaft and axle outed end had to be replaced.
Front bearings now on the way out and I am told that is very expensive. Subaru will not admit a problem, its always the drivers fault. Looking at others, maybe Honda. Dad's had three of those with no problems at all and service is half the cost. Bye Bye subaru after 5 cars and 15 years .

Arn's Response to 196875_ab harrisson's Review

Written on: 13/05/2009

The amount of problems I had in the short period I had it.
<br/>I will never buy one of these again, and I have ony ever said that about one other car before being an old unreliable Fiat Strada.
<br/>Stay clear of these, too much grief and uncertainty.

“Take away the AWD and you are left basically with a...”

Written on: 06/04/2005 by CABSUSA (1 review written)

Take away the AWD and you are left basically with a jumped up Datsun. The Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX estate isn't a bad car, just a boring one. If you want a good car for towing the Legacy may be of interest - the low gear range is perhaps the most important feature here. But Subaru service and parts are hopeless and expensive - just as well the basic product offers the normal Japanese levels of reliabilty. How about £1000 for a new clutch? There are better deals around at the price - and forget… Read Full Review

“The Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX Estate Car is an excellent...”

Written on: 20/07/2004 by grantnev (1 review written)

The Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX Estate Car is an excellent bit of kit. Does not have the balls out performance of the Impreza but its handling is fun and road holding is tenacious. It has some lovely offbeat touches in an identikit car world. The Boxer engine is smooth and quite tuneful and remarkably quiet at cruising speeds. Frameless door windows on an estate seem wiered but are pretty cool.
The air suspension is height adjustable for crossing the odd field and the whole car has an air of no… Read Full Review