Toshiba RDX-S32 Reviews

Media Gallery for Toshiba RDX-S32

Specification for Toshiba RDX-S32

Features:
  • Plays DVD, CD, VCD, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA, and MP3 media
  • Progressive-scan player that records over 100 hours on its 80 GB hard drive; FireWire camcorder interface
  • Multiple front and rear S-video and composite inputs and outputs
  • Dolby Digital and DTS compatible 3D virtual surround sound
  • Measures 16.93 x 3.07 x 12.64 inches (W x H x D)
  • Refine your search

Toshiba RDX-S32

“The RDX-S32 is/was well featured if somewhat complex...”

Written on: 12/02/2010 by Keith the Astrophysicist (11 reviews written)

The RDX-S32 is/was well featured if somewhat complex to use. However, a few months into use it started to write unreadable DVD-R discs. The problem was clear to see, the recorded surface on each disc was very faint. Tried cleaning the laser head but it made no difference. By trial and error, I then discovered that Sony DVD-Rs would write in this machine despite all other makes failing. This respite didn't last however and now the machine will not create a recording on any make of disc. Every… Read Full Review

Toshiba RDX-S32

“Recorder won't record Pay per view Movies from TV...”

Written on: 22/02/2008

Recorder won't record Pay per view Movies from TV shuts down saying movie is copy protected ,defeats the point of buying a DVD recorder. As other posts mentioned,after little use recorder won't play DVD's even new ones message comes up DVD disk may be corrupted a Toshiba Recorder is a total waste of money… Read Full Review

Toshiba RDX-S32

“After very little use the DVD reader stopped reading....”

Written on: 06/01/2007 by tsaboia (1 review written)

After very little use the DVD reader stopped reading. Tried lens cleaning, no avail.
    Contacted manufacturer, no avail. Found out OEM manufacturer, contacted several times, no reply. Can't use it anymore, total loss of money… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
    Toshiba RDX-S32

“Manual shows a chart where under recording from HDD to...”

Written on: 16/11/2006 by hip999 (2 reviews written)

Manual shows a chart where under recording from HDD to DVD-R it says 'YES'- but it didn't. An email to Toshiba informed me that it dubbed only to DVD RAM (Why?) which contradicts the manual. The recording system they said I had to use (Video Creation) is very complicated and with all the settings done correctly to give me 4 hours of recording on my disc, it wouldn't let me record more than 2 hours!!!!
    I strongly urge everyone NOT to buy this recorder… Read Full Review

Tren's Response to hip999's Review

Written on: 21/11/2006

I agree that the Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD recorder is very poor for user friendliness, and the manual is contradictory.

Toshiba RDX-S32

“I have given up trying to get in touch with Toshiba...”

Written on: 02/04/2006 by gdwilson (1 review written)

I have given up trying to get in touch with Toshiba Canada regarding my Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD recorder. They don't respond to emails, and they keep you waiting on the phone for over 30 minutes. I have tried 6 times to phone them, and each time I give up after 20 to 30 minutes with no response, or even an idea of how long the wait will be.

There are more reliable DVD recorders than this; like Pioneer or even Hitachi, which I have never had problems with after 2 years… Read Full Review

Tsaboia's Response to gdwilson's Review

Written on: 06/01/2007

TOSHIBA'S lack of concern with so many dissatisfied customers is disappointing

Toshiba RDX-S32

“I have owned the Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD recorder for 18...”

Written on: 05/03/2006 by grahamjay (1 review written)

I have owned the Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD recorder for 18 months now, and I could not live without one now! However, after 15 months it stopped writing to DVD-R and DVD-RAM, so I can only record to DVD-RW's! Toshiba were very helpful, but I guess it will cost £150+ to repair. Ouch!

Not sure if I will replace it or have it repaired. I am not impressed with its reliability… Read Full Review

Toshiba RDX-S32

“I have owned the Toshiba RD-XS32 80GB DVD recorder for...”

Written on: 19/09/2005 by phil1959 (1 review written)

I have owned the Toshiba RD-XS32 80GB DVD recorder for several months now, and I find that the DVD-R's I am creating are getting progressively more and more unreadable. I have made over 10 now, and with different DVD-R brands, and the last 3 would simply not play. I am disappointed that the unit will not read DVD+R DVD's or burn them.

I nearly bought the Pioneer unit instead of the Toshiba unit, and I feel that I am regretting my decision.

My next dilemma is whether Toshiba can fix this unit… Read Full Review

Gdwilson's Response to phil1959's Review

Written on: 02/04/2006

my rdxs34 was repaired twice in 1 year, dvd write errors, now its happening again, I hate this machine now.

Picard25's Response to phil1959's Review

Written on: 04/09/2006

I completely agree with all stated. Within the 1st year my XS32 had a fan failure which affected the HD and both had to be replace. Now,20 months into it's life, there is a whining sound coming from the unit.I have had many Toshiba products and this is the first to let me down.
    <br/>Rating 5/10

Toshiba RDX-S32

“When using my Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD Recorder, I had the...”

Written on: 07/09/2005 by marrer (2 reviews written)

When using my Toshiba RD-XS32 DVD Recorder, I had the same problem with RW discs as a previous reviewer. The answer is, you must use for version 1.1 - revision 1.0 disc, and 2xwrite speed. For version 1.2 disc - 4xwrite speed. You get the problems as stated in the previous review, and when trying to format, you get the message lock. When you look at the disc information, it says locked rd-xs 34. You can use the 1.2 disc! See page 9 in the user guide… Read Full Review

Toshiba RDX-S32

“All in all a great machine, small irritation with the...”

Written on: 01/08/2005 by shuttle1981 (2 reviews written)

All in all a great machine, small irritation with the RW's, normal DVD-R no problems at all… Read Full Review

Marrer's Response to shuttle1981's Review

Written on: 07/09/2005

you must use version 1.1revision 1.0 disc up to 2xspeed version 1.2 disc 4xspeed see page 9 in manual give the problem you state i.e wont let you format and says locked on disc information rd-xs34sb you can use version 1.2 disc again see page 9

Shuttle1981's Response to shuttle1981's Review

Written on: 07/09/2005

Many thanks for the review of my review, I have now had the firmware upgraded by Toshiba (who have been great). The machine now plays, records and works as it should alway have done. Do you know how to get past the 'write protection' as I would like to copy dvd's onto the hard drive?
    <br>Many thanks

Marrer's Response to shuttle1981's Review

Written on: 07/09/2005

rd-xs32 you must use version 1.1 revision 1.0 2xwrite speed rw disc see page 9 in manual rd-xs34 you can use version 1.2 disc 4x write speed trying to use 1.2 disc i.e 4x write speed give the message unlock disc and when you look at disc information it says locked

Toshiba RDX-S32

“My first foray into DVD proved a problem. The machine...”

Written on: 28/01/2005 by Terry001 (4 reviews written)

My first foray into DVD proved a problem. The machine I had suffered from very noticable Chroma shift on one colour (blue) and wasn't what I expected for this brand. Fair play to Toshiba and Empire Direct - the retailer who accepted the fault. I opted for a different brand as I didn't want to risk this as a "feature of the model". Have subsequently had a JVC (sound sync problems) and finally a pioneer (perfect)I also realise the operability of this could be a lot better… Read Full Review

Toshiba RDX-S32

“Having bought the Philips DVDR80 and got a refund...”

Written on: 29/10/2004 by dougrice (2 reviews written)

Having bought the Philips DVDR80 and got a refund because GuidePlus (EPG) wouldn't work, I waited for a recorder that allowed you to record to DVD-R/RW and played MP3 discs. So, I took the plunge for the Toshiba RD-XS32. Well what can I say? I am blown away with how good this recorder is.
    MP3 playback: The quality of sound is as good if not better than my Marantz CD Player.
    Programme Recording: This can be undertaken in a number of ways; hit the OTR button and recording start immediately… Read Full Review

Toshiba RDX-S32

“The Toshiba RDXS32 is a great DVD Recorder, I...”

Written on: 15/07/2004 by tony soprano (1 review written)

The Toshiba RDXS32 is a great DVD Recorder, I purchased it from richer sounds for £423. instore is £500 but if you print the product off the website they will give you discount. i was amazed by its features, it recognizes your camcorder when connected via firewire(DV) and starts synchro recording with editing features. the hard drive is great as well, it makes loss free copies onto dvd-r, have not used dvdram yet. Timeslip is amazing as well… Read Full Review

174234_Maquath's Response to tony soprano's Review

Written on: 17/10/2004

Very helpful - have bought this very unit !! Thanks.