Sony DAV-S300 Reviews

• Image Quality

• Sound Quality

• Ease of Set Up

Summary

Receiver
Dvd Player
Remote Control
Sony DAV-S300 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sony DAV-S300

Sony DAV-S300

“The Sony DAV-S300 is a very good amplifier and sound...”

Written on: 28/06/2008

The Sony DAV-S300 is a very good amplifier and sound quality. After laser's crush good radio tuner and MP3 player's booster. You can plug two subwoofers!!!!! :) Ok, but may be better… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“Great sound, easy to set up, FM tuner a great feature....”

Written on: 24/03/2008 by shanec (1 review written)

Great sound, easy to set up, FM tuner a great feature. Doesn't recognise many dvds - deteriorated quickly. Not good enough from sony. Much cheaper brands perform well or better… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“I sure hope that all who have bought the DAV-S300 have...”

Written on: 16/11/2004 by ladyred (1 review written)

I sure hope that all who have bought the DAV-S300 have SonyCare because if you haven't you are throwing your money out the door. We have had the unit break for the second time around. Sony is hard to deal with as well. I was told by a Sony CSR that I need to fax in some things one being my in his own words my so called work report from the last time. Grrr .. Does he think I am lying ..

Needless to say Sony is not on the top of my list for any consumer products!!… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“I love my Sony DAV-S300 dvd player, it doesn't blow...”

Written on: 26/05/2004 by sgaudet21 (1 review written)

I love my Sony DAV-S300 dvd player, it doesn't blow the doors off my house by any means, but overall it's great to watch movies with...recently though, I had to get it serviced because the laser wasn't working. I was disapointed about that… Read Full Review

Ladyred's Response to sgaudet21's Review

Written on: 16/11/2004

I too have this same player ... It is now going to have to be serviced for the second time around ..SO BEWARE!!
<br>I sure hope you have the SonyCare warranty .. I do ..
<br>Don't trust this unit at all .. My dealings with Sony this time around are horrendous ..

Sony DAV-S300

“The system initially does wht it should but then dvda...”

Written on: 14/11/2009 by jple (1 review written)

The system initially does wht it should but then dvda start to pause as if there is dirt on the disc but there is not. Then the system starts to jam and has to be rebooted (very annoying in the middle of a movie). Thext is the C13 error which cannot be fixed and Sony are no help. You are mad if you buy this system. I would not buy another Sony cinema system after own this one and have now switched by brand purchases to Panasonic and Samsung… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“Love this machine for its looks and ease of operation....”

Written on: 10/09/2008 by Ms E M Phillips (1 review written)

Love this machine for its looks and ease of operation. One truely compact device! The only draw back is that there is no "Eject Disc" button on controller - but hey got to keep moving in this life of "couch potatoes!!!!"… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“Very good Movie sound on Sony DAV-S300. Small size is...”

Written on: 21/03/2008

Very good Movie sound on Sony DAV-S300. Small size is attractive. 6+ years and still works great. Finally used optical audio connection for use with Blue-Ray player and everything sounds great. Not the best solution for CD audio. Movies are what this system has been tweaked for. Will hang on bad discs, but generally no issues… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“Problematic from the start error c13. Sony do not...”

Written on: 15/01/2008

Problematic from the start error c13. Sony do not advise on solution or even acknowledge the problem. Always bought SONY products. Never again. Bad buy. possible to find recalibrating process on the www. but it does not work in my experience… Read Full Review

Jple's Comment

Written on: 14/11/2009

I found this review very helpful because...I have been getting the C13 error since I bought my system four years ago and thought it had to do with dirt in the system. The error does not only cnse the blus screen, it also cuses the disc to jam and pixolate.

Sony DAV-S300

“Good system for domestic use.”

Written on: 31/01/2007 by pbhattacharjee (1 review written)

Good system for domestic use… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“It worked well for about 18 months then... dead. ”

Written on: 23/11/2006 by dck123 (1 review written)

It worked well for about 18 months then... dead.

It started slowly at first, with every 5th or 6th DVD getting the infamous C:13 error.
It then moved to CD's, and now, the Sony DAV-S300 is only good for a speaker system for my cable television.

It wasn't until I Googled the model name that I found out I was not alone.
A very expensive lesson, but not one soon forgotten..
Research before you buy… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“Had the Sony DAV-S300 system for over three years now...”

Written on: 08/02/2006 by BigBlueEagle (1 review written)

Had the Sony DAV-S300 system for over three years now with no problems at all. Will happily play DVD +R & DVD+RW discs burnt on my PC & Sony DVDR. Anyone managed to play DVD-R, DVD-RW Disks? Am about to get DVD Cam which uses these formats. Not a major issue as DVDR will play them anyway… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“I also was happy with the Sony DAV-S300, until I...”

Written on: 01/06/2005 by mike301248 (1 review written)

I also was happy with the Sony DAV-S300, until I started burning my own DVD's and CD's, none would play. I got on to Sony who told me it was not designed to play any other disc's than the type on page 4 of the instructions. I found that DVD-R from RiDisc work, but still not found a CD-R that works… Read Full Review

196202_Eduardo R's Response to mike301248's Review

Written on: 04/06/2005

I have the same problem! CD-R doesn`t work, but CD-RW works well. Now, I would like to use DVD-R and I`ll have this problem again. DVD-RW is very expensive to try. Isn`t there one way to do this? Changing the software, for example?

311384_Linadiorella's Response to mike301248's Review

Written on: 17/09/2007

I have a Panasonic SC-HT70 and I would like to know how can I play in my system a film recorded in a DVD-R in my home, because when I put it in the system it says "No play or the playback feature" I don't know, something like that and I can't see the film. I want to know the regional setting code unlock for this system because I want to see all the film that I record in my home. Please, somebody, help me. I'll appreciate your help. Thanks.

Martinodonoghue's Response to mike301248's Review

Written on: 11/05/2006

Hey I got good news.........Had loads of probs trying to burn video files from hard drive to DVD and play on my DAV-S300. Using dvdSanta software I was able to burn video files on TDK - "DVD-R" discs as I was informed by a lad in my local "Peats" electronic store that the older DVD players like mine preferred to be fed with "DVD_R" discs. .........Hope this helps someone out there................

Martinodonoghue's Response to mike301248's Review

Written on: 08/05/2006

I've also had probs with CD-R and DVD+RW. Won't read. Keeps asking to insert disk. Trying to burn from Sony camcorder using "sonic" as sony software keeps looking for a compatable drive. Help help help.

Sony DAV-S300

“I bought a Sony DAV 300 2 years ago and I met no...”

Written on: 12/05/2005 by korrigan22 (1 review written)

I bought a Sony DAV 300 2 years ago and I met no problems.
Therefore as it doesn't read CD and DVD engraved at home (pictures/DiVX/...), I bought last week a DiVX player (sigmatek XM 400 Pro) in order to read CD & DVD R,RW, + & -, JPEG, and so on.
Does somebody know how to connect one with the other?… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“Bought my Sony DAV-S300 approx 3 years ago as my first...”

Written on: 01/01/2005 by woblynne (2 reviews written)

Bought my Sony DAV-S300 approx 3 years ago as my first home cinema unit. A little bit miffed that it didnt play CDR's, but DVDs are cheap to buy anyway so not too much of a problem I must be one of the luck ones as I have never even heard of the C13 error until I found this website (touch wood!!).

Lack of scart sockets made for a slightly tricky set up, (we wanted video/satelite/TV all in Dolby 5.1)

A great system for the money in my opinion, although I don't have that much experience in this… Read Full Review

230067_Basheed's Response to woblynne's Review

Written on: 15/02/2006

Here too the same problem. The cdr is not working, as i am in india the dvd rate is high so it is easy to view cd only, so is there any opportunity to view cdr in this system? If anyone has found the answer kindly give the comment as soon as possible. Thank you.

Sony DAV-S300

“I have the DAV-S300 for 4 years now...It's an US...”

Written on: 28/11/2004 by caribman (1 review written)

I have the DAV-S300 for 4 years now...It's an US system, I moved to Europe and I am only using it as an amp. and of course region movies. Now I have the following problem. the right front speaker doesn't work...when the device is "cold" it works...after a couple of minutes when the device is warmed up I only hear a very soft static, sound is gone. If I wiggle the connection in back of the player sometimes it works, but never stays on. Anyone have any experience with this on how to fix it?… Read Full Review

Bdb316's Response to caribman's Review

Written on: 18/01/2005

I also have the very same problem with this system which is annoying as you wont fined a better system on the market for the money. I've even tried the gentle approach bating it but only seems to work for a short time.

Acho1's Response to caribman's Review

Written on: 21/12/2005

Same problem here but with SONY DAV-S400 sony is not good.
<br>This problem comes from the DRY JOINTS whatever that means. 80 euros is too much i have paid already for the system i don't see a reason paying again to fix it.
<br>It is a problem with ALL SONY SYSTEMS be aware. Every 2nd system has this problem.

Miha21's Response to caribman's Review

Written on: 11/08/2005

Hi,
<br>I've got also a SONY DAV S300. Could you tell me if you solve the the problem with the free region and how?
<br>Thank you in advance for your response.

Caribman's Response to caribman's Review

Written on: 07/03/2005

Got mine fixed for 80 euros...don't know what they did, so I guess it's not a huge problem. It just went to a local electronic shop...

183654_Pauliri's Response to caribman's Review

Written on: 06/02/2005

Same problem here, only that the right channel stopped working completely. There was no correlation between the system warming up and the right channel working. It just stopped working. Once I tried moving the connections and I got it back, but now that is not working anymore. Shame because this is a fine systems.

Sony DAV-S300

“Don't bin your Sony DAV-S300 yet... ”

Written on: 09/11/2004 by mapdnx (4 reviews written)

Don't bin your Sony DAV-S300 yet...

YOU CAN REPAIR THIS YOURSELF EASILY

MINE SOMETIMES REFUSES DVD'S AS WELL, BUT YOU CAN RECALIBRATE IT VIA THE ENGINEERS SETUP MENU.

This info is only useful to realign the drive using DVD single layer/dual and layer audio CD.

It's too complicated to write what to do, but I would forward this to you by email.

I still love this system, and I would have loved it more if it had digital sound inputs.

The Sony will play CD/R disks. The Sirius brand is best… Read Full Review

Mapdnx's Response to mapdnx's Review

Written on: 04/12/2004

How to Access the secret service menu in the Sony DVD
<br>Press Muting and Return buttons and Turn the volume Knob to the Right
<br>
<br>Then the screen will show the service menu
<br>
<br>Use of this Service Menu Can Mess up your Player completely.
<br>
<br>Do Write down Any values you change beforehand.
<br>
<br>But it’s Pretty Safe to Just Run the Calibration Tests.
<br>#
<br>
<br>Select option 1 and follow the instructions.
<br>
<br>Cleaning the lens of the player just before re-calibration would be a good Idea as well.
<br>
<br>To Recalibrate the DVD you will need a Single layer DVD and a Double layer DVD.
<br>
<br>You must run both tests to set the Drive up properly and you may as well do the CD test too.
<br>
<br>I used my copy of Jackie Brown as it’s the only single layer disk I Know I have, a cheap cartoon of short duration may be single layer, or a Music DVD.
<br>Cheers
<br>MAPDNX

Zsolt's Response to mapdnx's Review

Written on: 06/04/2007

Hi!
<br/>
<br/>I have just run the test. The first remark is, that the test screen is black & white. Is it normal?
<br/>
<br/>After checking all types of disks, only the DVD-SL shows error. The test is running but stops at the Focus On stage and writes: Error!!! Adjustment Quit, Focus On in the middle of the screen, and "EMG. FO" in the right bottom.
<br/>
<br/>Do you have any idea how to clean the lens? Please can you let me know via the Review Centre forum?
<br/>Thanks in advance.
<br/>Zsolt.

Nadja16's Response to mapdnx's Review

Written on: 10/01/2005

THANK YOU so much for this help - it has saved my player's life! I can now play several discs that had stopped working - in fact all bar one (David Bowie's greatest hits - FYI, a dual-layer disc).
<br>
<br>I can also play DVD+RW discs (although not DVD+R) which is great for checking out my home movies.
<br>
<br>For anyone else about to do this - I did have to try a couple of different discs for the recalibration before it would then play the discs that had stopped working.
<br>
<br>I first tried a new disc, but the one that did the trick was The Matrix. I used a new Music disc for the single layer (and now my DVD+RW discs play every time).
<br>Good luck everyone!

Sony DAV-S300

“Please consider not buying this a Sony DAV-S300. ”

Written on: 20/10/2004 by nando brazil (1 review written)

Please consider not buying this a Sony DAV-S300.
I've just finished buyin' a new DVD player, because this one didn't read any more DVDs. It started with the C13:00 error in one or another DVD, but now it's happening on all. I'm using it as a stereo receiver, not even a 5.1 because it has no digital incoming… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“Sony DAV-S300 - When I first set this machine up 3...”

Written on: 09/09/2004 by bigadz7 (11 reviews written)

Sony DAV-S300 - When I first set this machine up 3 years ago I was amazed by the picture and sound quality, within 6 months the left sound channel packed up, which Sony sorted out. A work colleaugue had the same problem, although his caught fire AFTER it was fixed, while on stand-by. I also have the C13:00 error occasionally which can be frustrating, I usually clean the disc and reset the power, which sometimes works. When this machine works, however, it is very good… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“AVOID THIS PRODUCT AT ALL COSTS!!! This Sony DAV-S300...”

Written on: 27/01/2004 by Andos (1 review written)

AVOID THIS PRODUCT AT ALL COSTS!!! This Sony DAV-S300 DVD home cinema system is renowned for having zero tolerance of scratches. I'm so frustrated, I'm just going to pack it in its box and buy another one. I wouldn't even sell it at a garage sale as I'd be too embarrassed at passing this rubbish off on anyone else… Read Full Review

Sony DAV-S300

“When I first saw the Sony DAV-S300 in the US I was...”

Written on: 26/12/2003 by Saran (1 review written)

When I first saw the Sony DAV-S300 in the US I was stunned by the looks and the amazing sound clarity. I did not give a second thought and bought it on the spot...
At home when I connected to my TV and played a DVD (borrowed from a friend), I was stupified by the picture clarity and the sound reproduction....
Later, I brought that back to India, and for the past two and half years it has been a companion to me entertaining and enthralling me always. Even after two and half years of watching… Read Full Review