BMW K1200S Reviews

BMW K1200S - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for BMW K1200S

BMW K1200S
BMW K1200S

“Bought the bike in 2006, secondhand with hardly a...”

Written on: 10/02/2011

Bought the bike in 2006, secondhand with hardly a scratch at approx 9000km's. It looked great on the outside, but its transpired that it is a heap of cap! It has approx 22000 km's on the clock and in the last approx 13000km's its cost me big time. Firstly it shed a conrod cap (which cost R57000 ex Germany); it then had to be returned no less than 4x times for the accredited workshop to eventually stop the tappet cover leak after they'd worked on it; the clutch then conked in AFTER having been… Read Full Review

“My last three bikes have all been VFRs . Had been...”

Written on: 07/06/2010

My last three bikes have all been VFRs . Had been looking at the new VFR1200 but at 11.5k thought I would have a look at the K1200S which had always been out of my price range .
Managed to get a 2006 for £6500 with 8000 miles and it was in really good condition .
It has been a great bike so far and is fast and comfortable at the same time still being sporty enough for me . I have the BMW panniers with the locks set up to my ignition key and they are great .
The only down points , and they are… Read Full Review

“Great machine, best I have owned in 35 years, but it...”

Written on: 14/11/2009

Great machine, best I have owned in 35 years, but it is the most expensive! Done all the hyper-sports and then a new Triumph 1050 Sprint which was good but failed its first MOT on front and back suspension wear after 9000 miles!!

Good bits- seamless power, great brakes, comfort, reliability.

Not so good bits- clunky gearchange (2-3), hunts at low revs, tank a bit on the small side for long runs.

Would I have another one? Yes.

Test rode a 2009 model last month and issues seem sorted apart… Read Full Review

“ iv found the perfect bike , it does it all .Open your...”

Written on: 19/06/2009 by berty boy (1 review written)

iv found the perfect bike , it does it all .Open your mind ignore the so called bike press experts talk to owners and you will be surprised just how good these bikes are , easy to work on , spares and accessories are not as expensive as you might think (eg no one could touch bmw for tires cheeper bye a long shot ) and bm dealers are second to non warrenty work done with no arguments or stupid excuses all in all you get what you pay for and in my mind bmw are simply the best… Read Full Review

Chunky Boy's Response to berty boy's Review

Written on: 06/11/2009

I found this review helpful because...it confirmed my own feelings.After 50+years riding,inc.,nat/racing many foreign tours and owning 100+ m/cycles I was simply astounded how good K1200S was.Offered a test ride whilst waiting for work being carried out on my then current machine.The power delivery,fantastic. The brakes, with servo,like you hit a brick wall.Turning off A road onto bumpy B I thought ill press this ESA button hoping it would not eject me! wow what a difference. Yes this bike can do it all.

“Great looking bike, power all through range, solid and...”

Written on: 09/03/2009

Great looking bike, power all through range, solid and stable, really well built. Just bought a BMW K1200S from Cannons in Braintree, great dealers even better bike..stunning, just get one!… Read Full Review

“I ' ve had a BMW K1200S for a little over a year and a...”

Written on: 08/02/2009

I ' ve had a BMW K1200S for a little over a year and a little over 13k miles.

They do pretty much what you would expect. They are very quick and actually handle reasonably well though are a little on the ' bland 'side. The brakes will stop it on a sixpence and the front end is very smooth and doesn ' t dive although. They are extremely comfortable and reasonably economical (I get a pretty consistent 45mpg). Get one with ESA fitted, it ' s not a gimmick, as it is extremely useful in allowing… Read Full Review

“Handling and the power are brilliant very fast bike....”

Written on: 27/11/2008

Handling and the power are brilliant very fast bike. This bike would take some beating it pulls the birds and genraly annoy most other bikers… Read Full Review

“I have a 2008 BMW K1200s. After riding a 2005 Honda...”

Written on: 28/09/2008

I have a 2008 BMW K1200s. After riding a 2005 Honda cbr 100rr, the BMW is a join. Perfect seating position, ABS, and has all the power I need. Handling is superb… Read Full Review

“The BMW K1200s is very stable fantastic handling,...”

Written on: 19/08/2008 by chris tomo (1 review written)

The BMW K1200s is very stable fantastic handling, braking is outstanding. Good comfortable ride whether on mounting passes or motorway, reasonable mpg for a bike so fast and powerfull. Not yet been on anything yet to match this terrific machine. Shaft drive obviously cuts down on chain wear but a little heavy on tyres try the avon storms, my opinion but I have worn the bobbles on the footrest so they must have good grip… Read Full Review

“Good for long roads, also good in city traffic, fast...”

Written on: 19/07/2008

Good for long roads, also good in city traffic, fast like RR's what can you want more?… Read Full Review

“The BMW K1200S is the best bike I've owned by far and...”

Written on: 20/05/2008

The BMW K1200S is the best bike I've owned by far and the perfect bike for myself, high speed tourer very comfortable for it's purpose, cheap to maintain, oil, valve adj, fluids no breakdowns in 28000 miles
Great dealer network have had great service on my long trips
At dealers along the way they fit me in witout appointment to keep me going huge plus!… Read Full Review

“I swapped my 99 R1100s for a 2005 K12S, and when I...”

Written on: 11/03/2008

I swapped my 99 R1100s for a 2005 K12S, and when I first sat on the bike I though "doh, this thing is huge!", but when it started moving it made me forgot instantly my old boxer. The power is astounding although it is easily doseable, you can easily ride at 100 km/h on 6th gear or break the law at more than 180 km/h in 3rd. The stability is rock-solid and the bike in general is quite comfortable… Read Full Review

“This K1200s is my third BMW, I have owned a r1100rt,...”

Written on: 03/10/2007 by dragon677 (1 review written)

This K1200s is my third BMW, I have owned a r1100rt, k1200lt and a k122s. Power is awesome, every day I learn more what this machine can do, seat is a little hard, but good support, plenty of room for two up. Wife loves this bike, that's all iIneed. My wife keeps telling me to go faster?… Read Full Review

“I have no regrets buying the K1200S as it always...”

Written on: 14/08/2007 by hakuna (1 review written)

I have no regrets buying the K1200S as it always leaves me wanting to ride that bit further. With the handling and the awesome power it begs you to ride which gets you as fast out of trouble as get you into trouble. I had an Aprilia Sports Tourer before the K1200S but I wouldn't go back. The K1200S looks great, feels great and people are amazed when they see it that it's a BMW… Read Full Review

Donaldpirie's Response to 304500_hakuna's Review

Written on: 24/02/2008

Interesting as I also had the Aprilia before getting my K1200S.
The K1200S is simply a far superior product in terms of reliability and stability. The power is there if you want it - just watch out because the speed climbs not only very quickly but totally without effort or fuss. I never knew 120MPH could seem so slow! This bike is utterly rock solid on the road and is not affected by poor road surface and is oblivious to cross winds - which made the Aprilia extremely dangerous to ride in windy weather.
It's not the cheapest bike - but you get what you pay for. I think it is superb value given its build quality and the fact it can do anything.
My advice? Get one!

“I have owned my BMW K1200S since 16th November 2006....”

Written on: 10/04/2007 by K1200S (1 review written)

I have owned my BMW K1200S since 16th November 2006. It's a full spec 2007 model in Night Black, the only dealer fit option I never ordered was the Tyre Pressure Control which wasn't available when I placed the original order. I have completed 4500miles to date and have ridden it on the salt laden roads of the UK with only about 6 washes in 4 months. The bike is still in top notch condition whereas a similar Japanese bike would have been seriously damaged by the salt. The BMW heated grips meant… Read Full Review

Sharpshooter0220's Response to K1200S's Review

Written on: 14/07/2007

I think this a great review, you're a good example of an expert: you write loads in detail with a honest touch.
<br/>Great review, keep reviewing!

Mike11559's Response to K1200S's Review

Written on: 21/03/2013

Many thanks for your review. I'm going to have a look at one tomorrow (22nd March 2013). I'm off to France for Easter and was going on my Triumph 900. You have been more than helpful. If the bike looks in good condition for an 06 plate then I'll buy it......... Mike a very young 53

Guest's Response to K1200S's Review

Written on: 18/06/2011

"Fuel consumption is awesome. On average runs on motorways at a constant 100mph cruise I have returned over 60mpg. When I have had opportunity to exceed limits " I think you are getting your maths wrong . 60 mpg ?!! I own a k1200s , and if I'm careful , just riding 60-70 mph I get about 53mpg to achieve 60mpg at 100mph is impossible. But it is a great bike.

Saintlucien's Response to K1200S's Review

Written on: 11/10/2009

I've ridden the 1200 and a Falco, both fairly extensively, the former for work.
<br/>
<br/>The 1200 has a notoriously suspect gearbox (no surprise that its been completely updated on the 1300), and handling wise you have much more of a sense of the what the front is doing on the Falco. The 1200 does feel heavier, its just that in a straight line the long wheelbase assists high speed with comfort. It notably lacked the low/mid grunt of the Falco, compensating with the capacity for big speeds - the sole area where the BMW was more competent was at speeds in excess of about 130 mph. Like many people, I found the engine stangely lacking in soul (and sound) but that is obviously subjective.
<br/>
<br/>Telelever does not mean that the bike will not run wide, it is subject to the same laws of physics as all other bikes, and it is misleading to suggest otherwise. I have to be honest and say the 1200 came with the job so I feel able to be objective about it. I prefer the older 1200s and the later 13. I'm glad you enjoy it, but lets try and keep things in context.

Westlodge107's Response to K1200S's Review

Written on: 11/09/2009

I have had a k1200s for three years from new,the running in is as stated keep it below 7000rpm I'll let yuo work out the speed at these engine revs.
<br/>the gearbox is clunky because of the straight cut gears for 1st and 2nd (engine power), to stop a lot of this problem I find that if you load the gear lever just before changing up this has a remarkable effect on the amount of noise produced.
<br/>Colin

Alkydale1's Response to K1200S's Review

Written on: 23/11/2008

Is the K1200S really that good? I too had an Aprilia (Falco) which I have just sold because I want the K12S, only worry is the negative feedback about the gearbox, any comments?

Stallionrider's reply to Alkydale1's Comment

Written on: 16/05/2013

I bought a 2008 K1200S 3 years ago with 18000km on the clock. In the beginning I was very happy. I had a incident or two with the dealer in between services. I never hesitated to pay for work done on it but when I feel I'm paying for services and they don't deliver I get upset. Anyway a year after I bought it the gearbox started jumping out of gear. I was told it happen to 1 in a 1000 K12000S and it cost me to replace the gearbox for R19000. Not long after that I had to find out that almost everybody who has one had the same problem and had to replace or undercut the gearbox. This made me totaly disgusted with BMW to lie to me. 3 years and I still got the bike with 110000km on the clock now. My spark also came out due to stripped thread. The bike was serviced only one dealer and the plug only changed 3 times. The dealer didn't want to take responsiblity for this and cost me a further 10000 rand to fix. With all the backup service received from BMW SA and their national GM [name removed] who wasn't even interested in my story and neither wanted to see me when I requested. This proved to me that its all about the name and image they trying to upkeep. These are only a few of my problems I had. The dealer principal even told me in my face I can take them to the ombudsman and that they don't need to follow his instruction to fix my bike at their cost. Lately I also experience handling problems on my bike. I just can't figure oyt what the cause is to this. This dealer even once deliver my bike back to me with a broken mirror. And with all of my problems on a late model bike I came to a conclusion that they not made to last and neither are the dealer customer orientated. My Kawasaki was a much older bike and have 130000km on the clock and didnkt give me have the problems or expenses I had with the K1200S. In 3 years I spent more than 90000 rand on the bike and can't say even it was we'll spendt and worthwhile. I hope that somebody from BMW on a higher level might see this to resolve my issues.

388175_Great Dane's Response to K1200S's Review

Written on: 02/08/2008

Seriously considering purchasing one having read the reviews. I currently have a 1998 K1200RS which is great but slightly tired now. Just have to convince my Wife and newborn baby its a good idea!

K1200S's Response to K1200S's Review

Written on: 04/02/2008

17500 mile UPDATE ON K1200S EXPERT REVIEW <br/>Awesome acceleration in all gears at all revs<br/>Superb build quality defeating British winter<br/>Very fuel efficient<br/>Still head-turning looks<br/>Supreme residual value<br/><br/>OK everyone! Here I am reporting back on my Night Black 2007 Spec BMW K1200S. I'm glad you all enjoyed my last review and I am appreciative it was chosen as an Expert review.<br/>OK What to tell you? Well since about 15000 miles the engine has loosened up to the extent that it flies in 6th gear now from very low revs. This is best illustrated by the fact that in 6th (top) gear the bike now accelerates from 50-100mph in around 4.5secs......that is pure flexibility and torque. I believe that BMW engines are built in such a way as to encourage durability. The Japanese engines have every last ounce of power reaked out of them. This inline four BMW has been designed to last hundreds of thousands miles. This is evident in my running in experience.<br/>Due to picking this bike up on 16th Nov 2006 it was right in the greasy British roads situation. For the international readers what this means is this: British roads are notoriously bad because the local and county councils don't clean the roads anymore due to lack of money. The road builds up mud, dirt, grit, stones and accident and animal debris and then gets a nice helping of rock salt mixed with grit when they think there's going to be ice on the road. Mostly the debris is in the centre of the road, but when anyone overtakes this mix gets added onto your lane. Consequently, running in a bike after a lay off from owning (though did have over 30 test rides) a bike for 21 months and running in a bike that has 167bhp at the crank tends to make you a little cautious.<br/>So for the first 600 miles I followed the running in instructions to a "t". I kept it gentle for the first 6000 miles and rarely gave it full throttle. When it had it's 6000 miles service around March 2007 I let it loose. The first time I opened it up I remember the induction roar and commented to my girlfriend it sounded like a grizzly bear's roar being heard through honey! You know, a fierce growl but a smooth growl? It made my hair stand up on the back of my neck and so alluring was it that I turned round and rode the road again, and again, and again! It was intoxicating, not the acceleration but the induction growl!<br/>My girlfriend lives in London and I see her on average twice a week. It's a 200 mile round trip, which I can't tell you how long it takes for fear of possibility incriminating myself. However, let me tell you that it takes less time than travelling across London from North to South using public transport (including the Tube (underground)). So how has it affected tyres? Well, unfortunately, one of the little people who I was lecturing stuck his penknife in my tyre when the original had 1840 miles on it. That original fit was a 190/50ZR17 Michelin Pilot Power and so it was replaced by RS Tyres in Leicester for £115 fitted. That tyre lasted 4650miles. I replaced that tyre with one of the new Michelin Pilot Road 2CT.......What a tyre, went through the worst summer in terms of thunderstorms and also the early part of this winter including 75 miles in deep snow (got caught coming back from my girlfriend's). So how far did I get out of my Road 2CT? AN INCREDIBLE 9762 miles!!!!!! That is on a bike with 167 bhp at the crank and the 12000mile service was done on 2nd July 2007. That tyre was changed for another Road 2CT on 31/12/08. I have now covered another 1750+ miles on this new tyre. I'm not someone who's scared to use the power, as my tyre fitter commented "you certainly push this bike!" I can't highly recommend this tyre more because it is predictably sure footed in any conditions and I am positive after my snow bound exploits which included reversing the bike backwards down a 30deg slope which is my drive would not have been possible on any other tyre.<br/>The front original lasted 8900miles and now has a Michelin Pilot Road 2CT tyre fitted. I'm expecting it to last at least 20000 miles!!! I think that some of us have egos that insist that we buy out and out sports tyres when a good sports tourer is best for ANYONE who rides on public roads. Sure, if you ride to a track and then on the track on the same tyres then buy a sports tyre, but this Pilot Road 2CT is amazing and I have never had it skip or miss in the rain when cornering.<br/>OK more about the actual bike. I had the 12000 mile service as I mentioned earlier and that was at Pidcocks in Derby (Long Eaton just off junction 24 follow East Midlands Airport sign). My supplying dealer Wollastons in Northampton, and Balderstons in Peterborough both wanted £250 inclusive of parts and VAT. Pidcocks carried out the 12000 mile service, changed the air filters (not a 12000mile item) and replaced the back brake pads (I drag the back a lot in London) and washed the bike all for £196.00 inclusive!!!!! They were excellent and they also solved one of the great mysteries of my ownership of the K1200S.<br/>My bike from about 8000 miles was using about a litre of oil every 2000 miles. Some commentators would say that this is normal or within acceptable parameters for a high performance bike. However, having spoken to other owners it would seem that the K1200S' appetite for oil is similar to it's appetite for fuel which is minimal, 45mpg average (for normal point and squirt riding) drops to 39mpg after a real thrash, and best 61mpg when I had an enforced sticking to the speed limit on the motorway due to weather.......Anyway, getting back to my bike's propensity to drink oil after many dealers looking at it and proposing this and that Pidcocks solved it. The pistons hadn't meshed with the cylinder liners properly because the bike was ridden cautiously in the first 6000 miles. This meant that the oil is bypassing piston which it's meant to cool and ends up being burnt in the cylinder. Remember I said that I picked this bike up in November when the road surfaces are poor and it was run in over the winter? <br/>This is also a tribute to the build of BMW and supports my comment about the engine being built for longevity, reliability and durability. The cylinder liners are rock solid, designed to cope with the stresses of formula 1 (engine is derived from formula 1 block). This bike runs a compression ratio of 13.0:1 which is the highest compression ratio of any production bike. Therefore it needs strong pistons and liners. Unfortunately, you need to run it in in good weather so you can exploit the awesome throttle!<br/>So what is the solution? Well I have just used the available power in the second half of the summer. In other words, run it in now. Also I was advised to go back to 10W40 SAE Mineral Oil instead of the semi-synthetic that was in it. So what can I report? Well, in 5500miles since the service it's used about 500ml, so it's now ok. The fuel consumption is now superb. I can go to London and back (v. fast) a round trip of 100miles which includes 25 miles of fast A-roads, 67 miles of motorway and 8 miles of London congested traffic. That 100miles costs me £10 which buys 2.07 Imperial gallons and equates to 48.31 mpg. <br/>What else can I tell you? Well, I dropped it just the other day, due to oil on a wet petrol forecourt and losing my right foot on it. I held it up for ages, but had to spin off the bike and let it go. I didn't want to pick it up for fear of what I'd find, when I did, guess what? Another BMW surprise, slight scuffing on the bar end and front brake lever, a few marks from the tar but no breakages or further damage. My Aprilia loved the concrete because of a high centre of gravity and that would have broken everything!<br/>Riding this bike is like nothing else. Every other bike I have owned or tested makes you feel wary of it. They make you feel like you could be off at any moment. The BMW K1200S makes anyone feel like a God. It's so stable in cross winds, handles brilliantly, soaks up bumps and undulations without any drama. At no time do you think you'll come off. It's so easy to U-turn too!! It reminds me of my Lancia Integrale which I had in the late 1980s. It turns an ordinary guy into a God (at least in his own mind!) The acceleration is awesome, and on a track when you're indicating 160mph and you open the throttle it still flies with an urgency which is frankly, ridiculous! The brakes are amazing, and combine that with the wonderful engine braking and sitting up into the air flow, you'll rarely have to use the brakes. Those brakes inspire confidence and can stop you on a sixpence without worrying about coming off no matter what the conditions thanks to integral ABS. Integral is BMW-speak for front brake operating both front and rear brakes and rear pedal working only on rear brake. They really are the best set of brakes on any bike (made by Brembo apparently!)<br/>As for the ESA, when my girlfriend gets on, I only have to press a button to change the preload, no spanners and no scuffed knuckles or worse trying to remember where the suspension was set before. She gets off and it's another press on the button to change the preload back. When I'm on the M1 Motorway, the South bound carriageway between junctions 11 and 6 has long term roadworks which have some really bad undulations and damaged tar that include lorry induced tar tramlines. That's no problem, because i simply select comfort and sail over the bumps and poor surface. This has highlighted how well sorted the duolever and paralever set ups are. How? Because several times I have forgotten to put the ESA back onto Normal or Sport and I have ridden fast and on my A-roads back to my house and not even noticed it was set on the soft comfort setting. The bike never lurches ever or floats, it's always supremely sorted whichever setting you choose.<br/>I do use the sport setting but rarely since these are roads i'm on and the normal setting keeps the bike glued to the line you want. ESA is very useful in other respects. When the road is slippy you should soften the suspension so that a bump doesn't cause a deflection which has the tyre struggling for grip. So softening it up, like I did when I was 75miles from home and encountered bad snow in November all the way home. Recently, high winds have been the order of the day, and a couple of times gusts have caught me, but never anything to frighten me. Perhaps that's because I set the damping to Sport to prevent the bike being "sponged off" the road.<br/>Overall, I cannot highly recommend firstly Wollaston BMW in Northampton for the best purchase deals, Pidcocks BMW in Long Eaton for excellent and cheap servicing and of course the BMW K1200S which surely has to be the best bike bar none for the everyday rider.

“First off, let me say that I have been riding these...”

Written on: 07/02/2006 by Lightspeed (1 review written)

First off, let me say that I have been riding these things for over 30 years. Yamahas, Harley Davidsons, Hondas etc. The BMW K1200S really has my attention. I bought this bike even with the negative press it had been receiving simply because I know that the BMW product line gets rough treatment in the Jap oriented bike press. The fact that writers had even a few good things to say about this machine, I thought it might be worth looking into. One hour test ride later I was the owner of a new… Read Full Review

Urbanshaman13's Response to Lightspeed's Review

Written on: 19/07/2006

After test driving almost every sportbike available in 2006, I will tell you that this is THE bike to own! It does everything perfect and with style.

“A stunning sports bike by BMW, that is outstanding in...”

Written on: 23/08/2005 by MarkA (1 review written)

A stunning sports bike by BMW, that is outstanding in very nearly every department. Looks that rival Cindy Crawford in a swimsuit, supremely competent when it comes to handling, refined power delivery with acceleration, that will take your breath away above 6,000 RPM, quality components that make you want to touch everything, VERY comfortable, etc...
Took the bike into a Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer to get a puncture repaired, and was quickly told 'we don't repair BMWs', while everyone in the… Read Full Review

Tryumffy's Response to MarkA's Review

Written on: 27/08/2008

I have just bought one of these and I know what you mean about the vibration, I noticed on mine the BMW badges on the side fairing are loose and are only held on with star clips, this may be the problem, I have yet to investigate but I am going to try and cure this and see if it works, anyway they will eventually rattle loose I think if not looked at.

Tryumffy's Response to MarkA's Review

Written on: 28/08/2008

I found this review helpful because...of the vibration issue