BMW K1200RS Reviews

Media Gallery for BMW K1200RS

BMW K1200RS
BMW K1200RS

“Best bike so far...”

Written on: 31/03/2014 by Jalen486 (1 review written)

RE: 99 K1200RS I've owned many street bikes. 500-650cc twins standards, 500-600-900-1000cc four cylinder Japanese sport bikes and a previous R1150RT. Also have ridden a Harley Screamin Eagle 1200c kit Sportster and large Road Roadglide. The K1200RS is probably the best I've ridden so far dispite it's heavy weight. It's the weight that helps with the smoothness of the ride. I do like that on the taller setting the windscreen makes the wind flow right over my helmet. Sure I can't throw it into… Read Full Review

“The Brick is Solid!”

Written on: 30/11/2013

I've owed this 2004 k1200Rs for about 10 years, road it from Miami to Canada, did Nova Scotia, ,Prince Edwards island, New York state and Back, Have ridden it to the Smoky Mountains, and all the great rides they have up there, Dealers Gap, Ashville, etc. Rode it to New Orleans and Mississippi and have a California trip planned , with no rush to get there for; hey the bike is a solid ride on the rode; and a bit heavy for the city; then I take it from coffee shop to the next Starbucks, and just… Read Full Review

“The best Sport Tour Ever!”

Written on: 27/07/2013 by k1200rsowner (1 review written)

Brakes Top! Confort 5stars, for me and passanger. Fuel consumpsion very low (for a bike with 290kg) Very smooth engine. Very strong engine, 260-270km/h in clock. And much more… Read Full Review

“too heavy”

Written on: 08/05/2013 by whittington (1 review written)

To heavy very hard to balance at slow speeds rider position not comfortable. First bmw. Want to enjoy the bike. But how do I do this. Keep riding or take a cycle course or what. Any bmw k1200rs owners out there can give me some advice… Read Full Review

Emspete1's Response to whittington's Review

Written on: 08/05/2013

i bought my k12rs 3 years ago, my first bmw too.since then i have found the rs to be a fantastic bike to ride, well balenced and very very easy to handle at slow speeds.
do not give up on the bike they truley are exelent.
this is my email address if you wish to contact me, i can give you the best settings for you dampers and shocks also the best tyres and preasures that suit the rs.( the rs is quite sensitive to tyre preasures)
hope i can help.
(lower case) peterpiper@talktalk.net

Whittington's reply to Emspete1's Comment

Written on: 09/05/2013

I would like to know what you did or how you come to feel that this bike is well balanced and is easy to handle at slow speeds? I find the bike very difficult to handle at slow speeds. But I have only rode 118 miles since I bought the bike. Any advice you can offer would be of great help....thanks

Emspete1's reply to Whittington's Comment

Written on: 09/05/2013

hi bud. the rs does take a little getting used to after riding other kinds of bikes.
a few tips.....ride more,
tyres.. the rs is very well suited to mitchlin road pilot 2. these are dual compond, hard in the middle and soft on the edges. also the rs i find is tyre preasure sensitive so try keep them within a pound or two. rear 41-42 psi front 36-37 psi. correct presure realy does help with slow speed riding.
next. do not have your stearing damper set too high, if your stearing feels stiff when you are NOT moving then it is set too high. at the other end do not have your rear damper too soft the bike should feel kind of hard if you sit down hard on the seat.
seat hight.. your seat hight is ajustable have the seat at its lowest, may seem odd if you have long legs like i do but this will reduce the centre of gravity. i can happily ride my rs at 5 mph some times slower with no problem at all.
hope this helps a bit. keep going cos these bikes are great once you get the feel of them. the rs is happy to tour and is more than willing to out pace sports bikes on the twisties.

Heli3's reply to Emspete1's Comment

Written on: 23/06/2013

Hi! just a little curious what you said not to set the steering damper too high? How do you adjust those thing anyway? I have my K1200RS over 2 years now and i dont see any adjustment on mine. Thanks.

Henriquek1200Rs's Response to whittington's Review

Written on: 27/07/2013

I bought a k12rs few years ago (9) and during my life i had a Pan European, Vfr 800, some choppers, Africa Twin and so On. This k12rs for me was the best motorcycle ever. 1 tank range makes 350kms, top speed 260-270km/h in clock, very easy to change oil....

Confort, sound and brakes are top. But i have a problem, my k1200rs has 250.000kms and i dont know what will be the next one,

Fluffymcpoofpoof's reply to Henriquek1200Rs's Comment

Written on: 13/09/2013

Henriquek,
So you like it better than your Pan European? I just bought a Pan and I love it. However, I have a bit of buyer's remorse and I'm wondering if I should get k1200rs instead....

“Does it get any better than this”

Written on: 07/04/2013 by Notslop6 (1 review written)

Bought this bike 8 months ago. Rode it home over 700 hundred miles yes that's right 700 the first weekend I owned it.....frankly I didn't want to get off of it. Great power and performance. Plenty of storage in hard bags. For a bike that was 11 years old It felt like being on a brand new bike. Heated grips maybe the best thing ever. My cousin owns a busa and one ride on this machine and he was trying to get me to trade him. He said it was exactly the right balance between sport bike and gold… Read Full Review

“After 35 years of motorcycle riding and ownership I...”

Written on: 21/02/2011

After 35 years of motorcycle riding and ownership I have had more than my fair share of experiences. I love to ride motorcycles. I have no alligiences or bias towards any particular manufacturer. I buy what I like the look and sound of, if the price is right.
Recently I bought a very low mileage, 2001 BMW K1200RS. It had only covered 12,400miles from new and had a full history.
It's too early to comment on reliability, but so far I am very impressed with this bike. It is comfortable, quick… Read Full Review

“OH STOP IT NOW THAT THEY ARE NOT MADE ANY MORE...”

Written on: 22/01/2011

OH STOP IT NOW THAT THEY ARE NOT MADE ANY MORE EVERYBODY LOVES IT.BUT WHATS NOT TO LOVE SPEED STABILITY RELIABILITY ECONOMY RANGE ECONOMY COMFORT ? GRIPES 1 THE LEFT SIDE PANNIER IS NOT BIG ENOUGH SO GET A GIVI TOP BOX OH AND YOU CAN DO ALMOST ALL OF THE SERVICEING ON A DIY BASIS EVEN THE VALVE LASH AINT THAT HARD .IT ONLY GOT A THREE STAR RATING IN MCN BECAUSE OF ITS INITAL PURCHASE PRICE YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR DONT YOU .AND SIMON WIER DIDNT LIKE IT ,YEA WELL HES A JOURNO AKA NOBBER LONG… Read Full Review

“I have owned many bikes in the last 15 years and I...”

Written on: 03/01/2011

I have owned many bikes in the last 15 years and I have ridden most of them all year round. I don't go off-road and I don't do 'look how much I can carry without being a car'. I often have my wife on the back, well it gets her off mine, but I like to take enough luggage for B&B/hotel weekends. We do this about once a month and once a year we go to the South of France, Italy or Spain. The K1200RS does it all strongly, stylishly, comfortably, economically and leaves me enough umph to be free when… Read Full Review

“Very smooth engine ”

Written on: 18/06/2010

Very smooth engine

Looks gorgeous

FAST!

Good wind protection from front screen

Good sized panniers

45-55MPG

Cheap insurance

Overall an excellent, bike, however, after having owned it for just under a month I feel that I have made the wrong choice as my daily commute is only a 6 mile round trip and involves city centre riding. This bike is far better suited to touring or longer journeys rather than around town.

Bike will be coming up for sale very soon if anyone is… Read Full Review

“The BMW K1200RS? In a word, just bloody great! (3 words?) ”

Written on: 18/05/2010

The BMW K1200RS? In a word, just bloody great! (3 words?)

I have racked up ownership of more than 75 bikes in the last 35 years - everything from 125 stroker dirt bikes to Italian pocket rockets, big-bore Japanese and pretty much everything in between.

When I bought the RS I had an Aprilia Pegaso Cube in the garage which, while being a great B-road weapon, wasn't exactly pillion-friendly and wasn't the thing for a quick trip to France or a blast up the M1, despite having the factory panniers… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 21/04/2012

Intersting report and may I say bloody beaut with so much info crammed in. I'm currently looking to add to the stable (5 bikes in the garage plus 1 cage that doesn't get let out that much). 2007 XS1100AC, 2011 XT1200Z, 2010 Jetmax (maxi scoot), 1989 K100RS (ABS). Was interested in a Suzuki Burgman Executive 650 to add but not too many models (near new / used) around at the moment in NZ. Happened to come across a very low mileage 1998 K1200RS, in damn good condition, and around similar prices to a later model burgman, so reading loads of reviews to get a feel for which way to jump. Hell I could afford both but garage space is now a premium. After reading your review (although two years old now), has given me more food for thought and a decision even tougher than before. Cheers. Bikerdoc

“ K1200rs? One word.........Brilliant!”

Written on: 30/01/2010

K1200rs? One word.........Brilliant!… Read Full Review

“I bought This bike 2hd hand with 33,000 kilometers on...”

Written on: 08/01/2010

I bought This bike 2hd hand with 33,000 kilometers on the clock. The bike is very comfortable and smooth to exccelerate but is very heavy on fuel regardless of what BMW say . The fuel tank is plastic and is prone to going out of shape and realising what can only be described as plastic shaveings. After clocking up 2000 killometers and a full service the engine started misfiring badly and after checking everything i handed it over to BMW motorad themselves who had a go at fixing it and charging… Read Full Review

“I rode BMW K1200rs for traveling all around Thailand...”

Written on: 15/09/2009 by sborihan (1 review written)

I rode BMW K1200rs for traveling all around Thailand from Bangkok to Chiang Rai it never disappointed me, the power and speed I did was very fantastic, I could speed from 160 km/h to 200 km/h without any effort.
for 20,000 k.I did not have any problem with it, I change enginge oil every 5,000 Km, the bike worked well. the more you ride it the more it will be last long engine age… Read Full Review

“Had many Hondas et al all good but as time passed...”

Written on: 24/06/2009 by Design steel (1 review written)

Had many Hondas et al all good but as time passed needed a good commuter - lookd at all sorts and then came upon the K1200RS - so far had for 6 months and 7,000 miles (machine now has 35k on the clock) - no issues at all - what a great machine - sure it is heavy, My commute covers back lanes, motorway and London traffic every day with such ease.

You can cover a full tank range in one journey without stopping as the bike just keeps getting better. Overall the most fuss free ownership ever… Read Full Review

“Just taken ownership of a 10 year old 40000mile BMW...”

Written on: 14/06/2009 by phil Norris (1 review written)

Just taken ownership of a 10 year old 40000mile BMW K1200RS dolphin blue model. Love it. First shaft bike I have owned and love the hassle free maintenance of owning it. it is well built (not DIY maint friendly though!) and dependable. At over 6ft I like a bike that feels like a bike not a miniature pocket rocket! large tank and good range. gear change indicator… Read Full Review

Rhperez's Response to 466901_phil Norris's Review

Written on: 25/08/2010

I found this review very helpful because... It was concise and to the point. I'm presently looking at a K2000rs with 40k miles.

“The BMW K1200RS is just an awsome bike......it is so...”

Written on: 11/06/2009 by netrider (1 review written)

The BMW K1200RS is just an awsome bike......it is so well balanced and I ride it as a commute or as a tourer just as easily although once you get on it you really just don't want to get of...or just take the long way to enjoy a few extra Km's. The ABS saved my life twice - I swear by it and love it.
I got up one morning to go for a ride and got back home 1 month later after 10,000km....strangely I just wanted to service the thing and keep going but my family would have certified me insane… Read Full Review

“Well, Believe it or not, the BMW K1200RS is my first...”

Written on: 04/04/2009

Well, Believe it or not, the BMW K1200RS is my first bike ever!! At 31 I figured if I didnt learn how to ride, I never would. Unfortunately, here in Japan, You have to get licensed for the size bike you want and then test again with a bigger bike. Not only did I see this as ridiculous (Spoiled American used to having it my way) I saw it as waisting time I didnt have. So I knew I loved my buddies K1200rs and decided that was the bike for me. I went ahead against rational and intelligent… Read Full Review

“I posted back in August 08 and continue to praise this...”

Written on: 02/03/2009

I posted back in August 08 and continue to praise this BMW K1200RS bike. For an 11 year old machine this Beemer K1200RS has been fantastic in the 11 months and 12000 miles that I have rode in that time.
I use it in all conditions mainly for my (except snow!) 60 mile round trip to work.
The bike now shows 37k and have just serviced again valves were good no adjustment needed, I changed 2 inlet shims that were a little tight back at the 25K service but all ok this time. All of the spark plugs… Read Full Review

“Always had sports bikes since i was sixteen up until...”

Written on: 05/10/2008 by Dom55850 (1 review written)

Always had sports bikes since i was sixteen up until march this year when i decided i want to do some touring,so sold the Aprilia RSV-R and started looking for a tourer,did'nt even contemplate a K1200RS until my BMW mad friend told me there was one for sale locally...I bought it with the intention of touring coming back and selling it.....BUT something strange has happened after travelling across europe (dubrovnik & back 5000mls) i really cannot see any reason in the world to sell it ..it did… Read Full Review

“I have been riding for 23 years now without a break...”

Written on: 30/08/2008 by WRHollick (1 review written)

I have been riding for 23 years now without a break and have owned many bikes. I have only owned the K1200RS for close to six months but have covered 6K in that time, It is a 1998 model now reading 31K. I use it for work (70mile a day) and the odd camping trip including a 1K trip to Scotland coming up in Septemper 08, so it is well used.
I am 5ft 6 and find the riding position good for me, I never get any sort of back ache, over all the ergonomics are not perfect but they are close!
Power is… Read Full Review