BMW Z3 2.8 Reviews

BMW Z3 2.8
BMW Z3 2.8

“Excellent Value Classic”

Written on: 21/06/2013

OK - the Z3 may not be to everyone's taste. The styling you either like or don't. Personally I think its superb and represents exactly what a muscular 2 seated sports car should be. It is not over endowed with electrical controls or saloon type refinement. It feels a little raw and needs to be driven. I believe it is all the better for it. It handles well, goes well, sounds beautiful, is well built and cheap to run due to its reliability and build quality. The engine is a peach that miles does… Read Full Review

“Superb for the money. Don't buy that MX5, buy this!”

Written on: 23/08/2011 by lightning (21 reviews written)

The Z3 is almost a "classic" now, and prices have dropped to under five thousand pounds even for the 2.8/3 litre versions. It's a great car, but go for the larger engine as the smaller engine is a bit slow, plus the larger engined versions have wider rear arches which look better. Remarkably the 2.8 will achieve 30mpg in town driving, if driven with a degree of care. Insurance is also cheaper as it can be insured as a "classic" but do check the premium before you buy one....this is no… Read Full Review

“OK so one week is not long to judge any car, but 500...”

Written on: 09/06/2010

OK so one week is not long to judge any car, but 500 miles of pure enjoyment is enough to make me reach for my keypad. The power generated in 5th gear is outstanding. The sexy looks of the 2.8 with wide rear arches attract attention. Fuel economy shouldn't be a major concern as this is a car to enjoy and not feel guilty about. Full service history is recommended for any potential buyer. Driving hard can cause a little "wobble" so I'm considering a front strut bar. Never driven a Z3 before… Read Full Review

“I decided to take my mid-life crisis a little early...”

Written on: 15/05/2010 by nousernamesarefree (7 reviews written)

I decided to take my mid-life crisis a little early and so 2 weeks ago I bought a 1998 (12 year old) BMW Z3 2.8. My car has 100k, Full BMW Service History and is in excellent general and mechanical condition. The car looks amazing and has the usual BMW build quality but I have also found a lot about the Z3 2.3 that has disappointed me. From my experience of owning 50 other cars over the last 20 years, the handling of the Z3 2.8 is poor on every day use. Scuttle shake becomes more (not less)… Read Full Review

Nousernamesarefree's Response to nousernamesarefree's Review

Written on: 07/06/2010

<br/>
<br/>Ok, so it's now some weeks since I wrote my (quite critical) review of the BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster, and overall, my views of this car have changed. I've realised that handling is goog (or should I say interesting!) on this car once you get to know the car better. I've also appreciated that refinement and reliability are real stron points of the Z3 2.8 that should have been better reflected in my review. To be honest, one day I changed my seating position and at last found one I was really happy with; from that day I just fell back in love with the Z3 and have enjoyed it ever since. The engine is super smooth and makes a grat noise, although I do think it could have more power and torque for it's capacity. I'm thinking about getting it remapped. Overall though, I do love the Z3; it's not an every day car but it's great for having a romp about in. I've certainly changed my mind about selling it, and now intend to keep it for the long term!

“i have 19cc version its very nice fast enough in these...”

Written on: 14/05/2010

i have 19cc version its very nice fast enough in these days with all cameras
comfortable easy to get in out for the older person.nice driving position
boot bigger than mx5 my car is in very good condition for 12 years old.surprised hood does not unzip like mx5?like the radio players cassettes and cds i have really thought long hard for some thing i dont like and only thing i can say is parts and accessorios… Read Full Review

“have just had z3 about year,had triumph...”

Written on: 04/05/2010 by frances1314 (1 review written)

have just had z3 about year,had triumph stag,tr6,wonted somthing newer thot z3 had wee drive that was me smitted,good fun second car,dont like boot tho… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to frances1314's Review

Written on: 26/05/2011

Is this English? As it is, it's semi-literate drivel.

“great enginge well built car”

Written on: 13/04/2010

great enginge well built car… Read Full Review

“The Z3 appealed to me since it has all the attributes...”

Written on: 12/12/2009

The Z3 appealed to me since it has all the attributes of a classic convertible from the 60's and 70's. It looks so cool & really do feel like James Bond when I am driving it!

It's not a techno convertible like the ones from this century and this is why I like it so much. The interior is stylish and the leather power seats extremely comfortable even on long journeys. The fabric top also gives it that period look and its also powered - going down in less than 10 seconds.

The automatic gearbox… Read Full Review

“Having owned a 1998 Z3 2.8 for a lttle over a year I...”

Written on: 09/10/2008

Having owned a 1998 Z3 2.8 for a lttle over a year I have now experienced what its like to go through all the seasons with the roadster.

This car did have a bit of bad press. The complaint was the handling. It is true that there is a little body roll when driving hard but its nots a super car that will stay flat through corners. If you want that then you will lose comfort. Having taken the car out on track and pushing it to its limits it really is a drivers car. It is very "chuckable" through… Read Full Review

“After adding a front strut brace, the car handles very...”

Written on: 09/04/2008

After adding a front strut brace, the car handles very neutral. It is just a joy to drive.. the strut brace .. Only about $150, the car is priceless… Read Full Review

“Great car for good money”

Written on: 12/02/2008

Great car for good money… Read Full Review

“It's a great car. I would recommend the 2.8 (or 3.0)...”

Written on: 13/10/2007 by HyperMatrix (1 review written)

It's a great car. I would recommend the 2.8 (or 3.0) model, however, as this car is HEAVY. It is the same weight as a mustang. It's not that bad on gas. With my combined Aggressive City/Highway driving, I get 220 Miles on 11 gallons, which for such a respectable sports car is actually quite good. :)

The only thing you 'may' be disappointed with is not going for the higher 2.8 or 3.0 model. Other than that, this car is Golden. Make sure you get the Hard Top as it looks surprisingly nice… Read Full Review

“Owning a Z3 is truly amazing. It's a head turner every...”

Written on: 01/01/2007 by roberp (1 review written)

Owning a Z3 is truly amazing. It's a head turner every time. I am 28 years of age and have been very fortunate in owning a z3 (007 replica model - 1.9) for approx 1 year and 2 months until I crashed the car which is now a complete right off. I have been extremely devastated ever since. I have viewed other cars such as the Mazda MX-5 and the Mercedes SLK however, the Z3 continues to haunt me. I have now gone for another Z3 mainly because I am absolutely obsessed about the car in general; the… Read Full Review

“I have owned a 1999 T plate 2.8 litre BMW Z3 for one...”

Written on: 12/07/2006 by Bill Mason (1 review written)

I have owned a 1999 T plate 2.8 litre BMW Z3 for one month. I have hunted high and low over two years for the right one, and finally settled on a straight six engined roadster in dark green with 34,000 miles on the clock.
I think it is the perfect second car - my family car is a Saab 93 2.0 Aero - and it cost £8700.00. It has the chrome pack with chrome door handles and windscreen pillar, and I have paid £1350.00 for BMW fitted roll bars.
I think it would be hard to beat this choice as a… Read Full Review

Django290's Response to Bill Mason's Review

Written on: 12/08/2008

I have owned my 1999 z3 2.8 for 4 months now and I agree with all your comments, a very rewarding car to drive and the more you get used to it the better it goes. I must remark on one point about the rear window, a friend of mine bought one from America for &pound;50 but fitting it is not just a zip in there is adhesive involved and a certain amount of body contortionism is required. As we are both over 65 we have put off the attempt to fit it!!! I think he may have it fitted proffesionally. If you look on google there are a number of firms that will supply and fit the window for around &pound;150.

“I just bought a '97 BMW Z3 with the 2.8. She had only...”

Written on: 07/01/2006 by JoyToy2c (1 review written)

I just bought a '97 BMW Z3 with the 2.8. She had only 44k miles and I love her. Why didn't I get this two seater sooner? I could not imagine buying a Miata...or any other convertible especially after driving the Z3. I had even considered looking for a Mercedes SLK, but the BMW has much more power... and combined with exceptional steering and handling makes this car one to really consider buying. I give the BMW two thumbs up!… Read Full Review

“Looks and feels a far higher quality item than say a...”

Written on: 26/07/2005 by robgee1964 (1 review written)

Looks and feels a far higher quality item than say a Mazda MX5 or MGF. Retro styling looks great.

Driving position is excellent, you feel part of the car, rather than merely sitting on top of it. All instruments and switchgear are easy to see and operate.
Performance is excellent, although the auto transmission kick down is a little savage, I found it preferable to downshift manually when overtaking. The auto transmissions sports mode is pretty much a complete waste of time, all it does is… Read Full Review

Acetag's Response to 203508_robgee1964's Review

Written on: 12/09/2008

I found this review helpful because...it made me make the right choice to get one.

“The handling on the BMW Z3 is dreadful for such a car....”

Written on: 15/06/2005 by davsterravster1 (3 reviews written)

The handling on the BMW Z3 is dreadful for such a car. It is quick but you can not use the power due to the bad handling. I am very let down with this car. It has put me off buying BMW ever again. I have regularly had the scares of my life due to the back end of the car kicking out. It is no fun to drive!!… Read Full Review

Ashaw22's Response to davsterravster1's Review

Written on: 01/08/2005

May I suggest that your car is bent or you simply have no clue how to drive?
<br>I expect you have come from a front wheel drive Euro box that is made so your granny can go fast in it. The Z3 2.8 is a proper rear wheel drive sports car than demands respect. If you do know how to use its handling though, as I do, you can runs rings around most cars on the road. The fact that the rear end can be induced into an amount of over steer makes that car very fast indeed.
<br>I suggest you buy a Street Ka or something else that has all the character removed as to not upset the chronically inept.

Nousernamesarefree's Response to davsterravster1's Review

Written on: 15/05/2010

Ignore the idiot who says you're car is "bent" or you don't know how to drive it. You are quite right, the Z3 2.8 is a heavy car in every respect; heavy clutch, heavy accelerator, heavy (slow) gear change, and poor handling in day to day road use. The Centre of Gravity is way off. I have owned a Z3 2.8 for 2 weeks and although it's in mint condition with a full BMW service history I am selling it for the same reasons that you've pointed out. BMW build quality but not typical BMW driving experience.

220475_Macwy's Response to davsterravster1's Review

Written on: 11/12/2005

I purchased a 1998 2.8 Z3 manual about 5 months ago. I have driven many cars over the years, and must admit, that yes, the back end does kick out. When buying the car I reminded myself that as with my previous car(Mercedes) this car is also REAR wheel drive. It kicks when i expect it to, it powers slides (road permitting), its a 200 Bhp rear wheel drive rocket, (in a straight line, fun in the wet).
<br>The engine sounds amazing ! and even at 135 its not too blustery, with the hood down, and deflectors in place. It is a fun car to drive, and always turns heads. LOVE IT.

“I picked up my 5 year old BMW Z3 2.8 about 3 months...”

Written on: 07/06/2005 by ashaw22 (1 review written)

I picked up my 5 year old BMW Z3 2.8 about 3 months ago and wow what a car. I like this car because it is a car enthusiasts car. It hasn't had all it quirky bits removed by reams of focus groups & committee meetings. The looks are such that I think you either like them or loath them. I love them and with the larger 17" wheels fitted, there is no way this is any hair dressers car.
The engine is very strong and really comes alive over 4000Rpm pulling hard to just over 6000Rpm with a glorious… Read Full Review

Davsterravster1's Response to ashaw22's Review

Written on: 06/09/2005

The Z3 is no drivers car. Look at all the bad reviews it has got. I have owned many rear drive cars and have had 3 BMW's. These were all superb, but it all went wrong with the Z3.
<br>Wait until the winter!!! That is when the real "FUN" starts. The car is strange to drive at the best of times but when its slippy just watch out! There is none of the usual BMW handling fun to be had here, just dengerous understeer in bucket loads. Then the back end will suddenly kick out even with the traction control on. I am going back to a 330i again. That makes the Z3 seem like a disaster, which it is. I suppose hairdressers never go quick enough to find out the bad handling traits that it has.

“Bought my BMW Z3 2.8 sports car privately, had low...”

Written on: 15/11/2004 by liamaustin (1 review written)

Bought my BMW Z3 2.8 sports car privately, had low mileage and 18" Breyton magic wheels, has turned out to be a very good buy (touch wood). the sound from the straight six is fantastic, the accelaration is almost untouchable from most sports cars of this price on the road today. I tavel from London to Carolisle and arrive as fresh as when I left, (As long as there is no long tail backs on the M6). This car definately brings a smile to your face every time you drive it.

Servicing costs from… Read Full Review

“In a nutshell, I have no complaints about this BMW Z3...”

Written on: 15/07/2004 by Annabelle (1 review written)

In a nutshell, I have no complaints about this BMW Z3 2.8 Sports car so far. I was lucky to find the one I have now, low mileage, full BMW service history. Well worth there money in every respect with a style, that I think, will not go out of date for a long time. I was also quite suprised how low my insurance quote was being a 25 year old female. I recommend this car to anybody thinking about buying one… Read Full Review