Santander Home Insurance Reviews

Santander Home Insurance - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Santander Home Insurance

Santander Home Insurance

“Worst experience ever”

Written on: 19/12/2014 by a6313839 (1 review written)

I took out a home insurance policy with Santander thinking they were a reputable company. What follows is a load of poor management and shirking of responsibility. The customer service team aren't even allowed to discuss your claim with you so you can't actually make an official complaint. I phoned up stating that my 7ft tall 80 ft long garden wall had fallen down and devastated our garden. When I got through to the claims department they had an issue accessing my file due to a correspondence… Read Full Review

“Insure yourself against Santander Insurance”

Written on: 04/07/2014 by GlamT (1 review written)

The worst experience in life is to have to deal with Santander insurance. And their cover is useless. We had home and car insurance with Santander for five years. Last September, we had a problem with the house covered by the policy, so I called them. They sent a surveyor from a company called Asprea, which I learned is not, to put it mildly, the most reputable business in the trade. His usual irrelevant excuses amounted to saying that ‘You should have seen the problem coming and should have… Read Full Review

Radwaygreen's Response to GlamT's Review

Written on: 27/11/2014

you are merely repeating my experience of this Company. I to bank with Santander as well as my home insurance but not for much longer. Their "validation " sub contractors are only there to refute the claim. The telephone calls I had all started by giving warnings about fraudulent insurance claims but, in the interests of balance, it should also warn of the ineptitude of the service they off....possibly an even worse crime. Pathetic!

“Cancel before you are cancelled”

Written on: 16/06/2014 by MayHayward (1 review written)

Were persuaded by Santander bank to choose their insurance when we got a mortgage several years ago. We paid our premium regularly, never received any claim until recently. Their approach, attitude and treatment of us has been appalling: rude, aggressive, disdainful and outright dishonest. They made a small offer, without even paying that and then informed us that they are cancelling the policy. We also discovered they had taken advantage of our trust to raise our premium over the years… Read Full Review

“123 Discount - don't believe it”

Written on: 12/06/2014

Santander offers 30% discount on home insurance policy to 123 Account holders. Don't believe it. Identical Santander policy is the same price or cheaper on any of the price comparison websites and you don't need to be a 123 customer. When I contacted Santander to query this I was told "yes, it happens all the time"… Read Full Review

“AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!!!!!”

Written on: 10/12/2013

We had to have repairs done to our roof as there was water coming in to our kitchen which damaged the tiling and the alcove where we kept our microwave etc.We expected a qualified surveyor to turn up but no ,what we got was some bloke in shiny shoes and a shirt and tie who once he had secured the excess of£150,proceeded to tell us what repairs he was not going to authorise.He completed the survey of the roof by standing on a stepladder(which we had to supply)and could not get away quick… Read Full Review

“BEWARE ”

Written on: 12/09/2013 by Kathnosdwis (1 review written)

I am a Santander customer and after being frequently asked to take out Home Insurance when I visited my local branch. I was specifically seeking cover that included the possibility of flood damage and asked if the policy included flood cover, was told that it did cover flood damage so I made an appointment, where I again stressed that I only wanted the cover if flood damage was covered. I was told that it did. READ ON PLEASE IF THINKING OF TAKING OUT SANTANDER HOME INSURANCE - THIS WILL CHANGE… Read Full Review

“renual notice after 1st year Home Insurance”

Written on: 08/11/2012 by stainton (1 review written)

At the End Of My First Years Policy I Have Received A Renual Notice With An Increase Cost Of 28 Percent .Also Informing Me That They Will Take The Full Anual Payment From My Credit Card Quoting My Personal Details Which They Have Obviously Retained On Their Database.I Have No Recolection Of Giving Permition For Them To Do This,And I Am Very Angry That They Have .Their Notice Has No Postal Or E/male Address For Reply And Does Not Ask If I Wish To Renue Or Not Only An 0844 Phone Number Which Will… Read Full Review

Kathnosdwis's Response to stainton's Review

Written on: 12/09/2013

I wouldn't pay them - find a new insurer as the policy isn't worth the paper and I have found that having Santander Home Ins is worse than having none at all as I have paid money for absolutely nothing
My experience
I was flooded on 29th July with a Santander 'UNLIMITED COVER' policy - they have also sent two men Asprea and another then have told me that they have put the claim on hold. I have paid my premiums on time and SANTANDER TOOK THE EXCESS - DONE NO REPAIRS or OTHER WORK and have not responded to my letters. As a result I now need to see solicitors, this week to try to get what I have paid for - DON'T USE THEM you would be better keeping your money to help with the repairs - I am disgusted that a company can operate in this way in the UK

Kathnosdwis's reply to Kathnosdwis's Comment

Written on: 09/10/2013

After consulting a solicitor, I on his advice contacted the financial ombudsman, Santander & Aviva then accepted the claim, however almost 3 months later the work is still not complete, far from it!
A catalogue of inefficiency and avoidance of fulfilling the contact has followed, my policy clearly states 'Unlimited Cover' and 'Unlimited Alternative Accomodation' although the ground floor is unusable, including the kitchen. I have also received a letter which states that I had a claim settled in 2012 COMPLETELY UNTRUE! and that they are ending my policy on 10.10.2013!
If I ended a policy early I would have to pay the whole year as per contract/policy agreement I believe. They have caused a endless cycle of letters, phonecalls, visits to my solicitor and complaints to the ombudsman.

“Renewal Failure”

Written on: 03/11/2012 by Warwickman (1 review written)

This is a summary of the events concerning the buildings insurance of a house in Warwick, which was built in 2001, and bought new with the aid of a mortgage from Abbey National, now part of the Santander Bank group. From that time on we have always had the house insured with Abbey National / Santander. We lived there until my current employers moved my job, and therefore me abroard. As we expect to move back one day, we rented the house out to some close friends, who do a good job in… Read Full Review

Kathnosdwis's Response to Warwickman's Review

Written on: 09/10/2013

Santander / Aviva put my claim on 'hold' until my complaint to the financial ombudsman which then resulted in Santander / Aviva accepting the claim. It is now almost 3 months since we were flooded and still have an unusable ground floor and kitchen. I have now had to complain again to the ombudsman as Santander have written to me stating that they will be ending my policy tomorrow 10.10.13 due to a flood claim in 2012 which is completely untrue. I have only ever claimed on a home insurance policy once which was for a minor burgulary approx 15 years ago.

Unless you enjoy making endless phonecalls to 08** numbers, writting letters, consulting solicitors and complaining to the ombudsman, whilst dealing with a catalogue of inefficiency and lies AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

“my claim no 7277782”

Written on: 16/10/2012

very poor service from santander costumer service… Read Full Review

“never in a million years!!!”

Written on: 22/08/2012

celing and walls were damp due to leakage after paying £70.00 a month for home insurance our claim is declined and we were not able to reclaim or negotiate, poor service and they are manipulating money snatching culprits… Read Full Review

Written on: 12/09/2013

Santander are liars - this also happened to me after paying the policy costs and I also PAID THE EXCESS

I was flooded on 29th July with a Santander 'UNLIMITED COVER' policy - they have also sent two men then have told me that they have put the claim on hold. I have paid my premiums on time and SANTANDER TOOK THE EXCESS - DONE NO REPAIRS or OTHER WORK and have not responded to my letters. As a result I now need to see solicitors, this week to try to get what I have paid for - DON'T USE THEM you would be better keeping your money to help with the repairs - I am disgusted that a company can operate in this way in the UK

Written on: 09/10/2013

I consulted a solicitor who advised me to complain to the ombudsman before taking legal action. I did and Santander / Aviva accepted the claim. Then have written to me to say that I had a claim settled for flood in June 2012 which is a lie, completely false! They also said they are ending my policy on 10.10.13. If I ended my policy early I would still have to pay for the year I believe. It is now almost three months since the flood, the kitchen is unsafe but is classed as a working kitchen so even though my policy states 'Unlimited alternative accomodation' we are unable to use the kitchen to prepare or store food etc. I have had to consult a solicitor again re the false recording of a claim in 2012 9 which will affect my ability to get home insurance in the future. I have also had to complain to the ombudsman again.

Taking Home Insurance with Santander / Aviva (after being offered it when in the bank several times) has been eye-opening to see how these companies operate.

My advice STEER CLEAR OF SANTANDER / AVIVA when taking out home insurance or be face with a charade and a catalogue of inefficiency and lies. Unless you enjoy having to make endless phone calls, complaints to the financial ombudsman and visits to solicitors.

“Long Standing Customer - Bldg Inurance Renewal shock”

Written on: 26/03/2012

Loyal Customer - it counts for nothing Really disappointed as must have had this insurance for 25 years at least. I think they gamble on people not checking when their policy is up for renewal. I did check this time at £500 could not believe I was being charged this amount. CANCELLED IMMEDIATELY and have saved myself over £300. Not a word from Santander - so much for loyal long standing customers - they don't give a damn. There is nothing to be gained from staying with the same provider of… Read Full Review

“Fine for the first year”

Written on: 18/03/2012 by DaveWBrown (15 reviews written)

I took out Home Insurance (buildings and contents) with Santander after they provided a very reasonable quote. I was happy until it came time to renew. Santander sent me a renewal notice that was 81% higher. I had made no claims or policy changes, my circumstances had not changed and I am a retired pensioner. So Santander are (probably like most insurance) guilty of that old sharp practice of sucking you in with a reasonable quote and then hoping you will not notice the huge price increase… Read Full Review

Kathnosdwis's Response to DaveWBrown's Review

Written on: 09/10/2013

I made a claim for flood, and have been disgusted at the way they operate, 3 months later and after endless phonecalls and letters, visits to my solicitor, complaints to the ombudsman, Santander have accepted the claim but are leading me around in circles, the ground floor is unusable, although my policy states 'Unlimited Cover' and 'Unlimited Alternative Accomodation' , we are unable to prepare or cook in the kitchen and the house is still wet. I now have to see my solicitor again and have had to complain to the ombudsman yet again as Santander have written to say they are ending my policy on 10.10.13 as they state that I had a claim settled in 2012 which is completely untrue!

“Been with Abbey for two years when we moved into our...”

Written on: 27/08/2009

Been with Abbey for two years when we moved into our new house. Unfortunately, I had to put in my first ever claim last November when a pipe burst next to my boiler causing water to pour through the ground level ceiling. Abbey were excellent, although I had to contact Asprea, their appointed contractor, a few times to get info on how the claim was progressing. It was all eventually sorted over a number of weeks. Result was full recoration and carpets replaced throughout for the affected areas… Read Full Review

Written on: 09/10/2013

You are very lucky it seems as looking at these reviews smooth completion and professional handling is a rare experience with Santander/Aviva. Maybe because it was years ago as recent reviews are less inspiring.

“I have my insurance with Abbey national as recommended...”

Written on: 30/12/2008 by ADAMGOMEZ (1 review written)

I have my insurance with Abbey national as recommended by my mother. I changed from Halifax who have been fantastic and decided that I could save 10.00 pounds a month by moving to Abbey who offered the same services. For three years I fortunately never needed to make any claims however this year when we had stormy weather the rain leaked into my study. The claims processed seemed simple enough and I telephoned Abbey National to provide them with the relevant details within 24 hours. To cut a… Read Full Review

Kathnosdwis's Response to 428388_ADAMGOMEZ's Review

Written on: 12/09/2013

“I was with Abbey National Home Insurance for over...”

Written on: 10/05/2005 by babrahams (130 reviews written)

I was with Abbey National Home Insurance for over eight years (until this March), but as we have sinced remortgaged our house, we changed our insurance to match our mortgage adviser. During this time I made two claims - unfortunately two of our ceilings fell through. The response from Abbey National was immediate and both claims were sorted swiftly and pleasantly. I would have not hesitation in recommending them… Read Full Review

Kathnosdwis's Response to babrahams's Review

Kathnosdwis's Response to babrahams's Review

Written on: 09/10/2013

Good to know that they did fulfill their contract/agreement at some point. Seems very different now though.

Almost 3 months (spent making phonecalls, writing letters, consulting a solicitor (which I will be doing again tomorrow), 2 complaints to the ombudsman and a catalogue of inefficiency and unwillingness by Santander/Aviva to fulfill the contract/agreement I still have an unusable ground floor and kitchen and living on takeaways! although my policy states 'Unlimited Cover' and 'Unlimited Alternative Accomodation' with all premiums paid including the policy excess of £95.
Now I have received a letter stating that they are ending my policy on 10.10.13 (tomorrow) as they state I have had a claim settled in 2012 which is a complete lie!
They seem to have become money-grabbing since your experience.
It appears that when they were Abbey they did the job as per agreement - My experience is very very different.

“I bought my house with a mortgage from Abbey National...”

Written on: 17/07/2004 by tigga (1 review written)

I bought my house with a mortgage from Abbey National over 30 years ago and have had my home insurance with them over that period. In June 2004 I had a letter saying that they were changing their insurance procedures and listing my house information. 3 bedrooms (it is actually 2 bedroom), semi-detached (it is end terrace), tiled roof (it is slate), built 1950 (it was acually built in 1887). The worst of all they had my date of birth as 1 January 1900. I may look old, but I am not 104 yet. I… Read Full Review