Mini Cooper 1.6 16V Reviews

Mini Cooper 1.6 16V - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Mini Cooper 1.6 16V

Mini Cooper 1.6 16V
Mini Cooper 1.6 16V

“Hope your hobby is to live at the Service Department!”

Written on: 21/11/2012

On Friday, 11/16, I had to trade in my 2010 Mini Cooper. I was really upset about it since it was a car I had wanted for years. Here were my issues: -49,000 miles: Software system need to be completely updated. The car thought it had fog lights when it didnt so I was getting an indication that my headlights were out when they weren't. -Dealer Solution: Complete system upgrade (fortunately still covered under mfg. warranty. -59,000 miles: Car hesitates and engine light goes on. I was… Read Full Review

“Been good so far”

Written on: 11/04/2012 by StewieGriffin (1 review written)

I have had my mini for 3 months now and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I got the Chili Pack and panoramic sunroof which i really like as I had a convertible for my previous car but did not like the lack of boot space. Although the mini does have a small boot you can put the seats down which means you can get quite a bit in. Haven't had it long so hopefully will not get the problems like other people on here, so fingers crossed! … Read Full Review

Paddysb's Response to StewieGriffin's Review

Written on: 19/11/2012

Here were my issues:

-59,000 miles: Car hesitates and engine light goes on. I was told by Mini to keep driving and don't worry, it's probably the gas cap. Light goes out that same evening.
-60,000 miles: Car hesitates and engine light comes on. I decided to make an appointment and that this is not normal for a car that is well taken care of.
-Solution: Dealership say's timing chain tensioner and actuator is defective, $800.00 dollars please. I say, hell no. Dealer decides to charge me $125.00 instead (so I am still concerned about this car, but happy) My concerns were that the timing chain was allowed to stretch to 67mm and they would not change it unless its 68mm.
-62,202 miles: I notice car is leaking "blue/green" fluid. I am no rocket scientist but it looks like coolant and I'm thinking it's the water pump. But how could that be???? In other cars, both American and Foreign I have only changed the water pump at 90,000-100,000 miles.
-Dealer Solution: Ding, ding. I'm right!! Dealership say's $1,000.00 dollars please. I say, guys, this car is not ready for the public. You can have it.

-I am now the proud owner of a BMW 328 i Xdrive.

The problem with Mini's is, they look so good but there is junk under the hood. I was so brain-washed by the car that I had thought about getting another one thinking maybe I just got a car with some problems. My gut had told me that if I kept that car, which really didn't feel like an almost 3 year old car, it felt much older although, I had bought the maintenance policy and took very good care of it. IF you must buy this car, please buy the extended warranty up to 100,000 miles and the maintenance policy. You should test drive all cars in that price range. I did not do this because I had my mind set that I needed this car!

Pros of having a Mini:
1) Looks,
2) 41 Miles per gallon

Cons:
1) Reliability issues,
2) Costly vehicle for what you actually get for the money
3) Too much time spent at the service department
4) Dealer's Standard Comments: "Well it's not a Honda" "Did you put Super in?", "You shouldv'e bought the extended warranty?" "It depends on how you drive the car"

This car would probably be best as a second car so that you only put a 1,000 or so miles on it per year. It can't handle being driven everyday (note: I drive 90% highway) I feel really bad for people who have had their engines seize from the timing chain tensioner/actuator and other catastrophic problems that happened outside of warranty. It is definitely a tough lesson to learn.

“Great small car”

Written on: 23/08/2011 by lightning (21 reviews written)

We bought our Mini Cooper new in 2004, and it proved to be a great little car. Having also driven the updated version I personally think that the older one is better. We never had any problems with it, but I wish we'd bought the Cooper S as our standard Cooper (115bhp) wasn't all that fast. Also I'd recommend buying one with the sunroof as it makes the interior brighter and less claustrophobic. There was an issue with the early Cooper pulling to the left, ours did it very slightly but the… Read Full Review

“never recommend a mini”

Written on: 21/07/2011 by gbmotors (1 review written)

My husband is a driving instructor and this Mini was his 3rd car, the first one the gear box dropped out due to the clutch not being fitted right, but this last one has cost us money after money .While the car was still under the warranty , it was losing so much oil ( the end bill over a 3 month period was over £300) but the garage was not interested until the car broke down and it turned out the valves had burnt out which cost nearly £2,000 to repair , we had to pay for the repair, but… Read Full Review

Doityrself's Response to gbmotors's Review

Written on: 02/09/2013

it isnt the car's fault for it having the clutch put on wrong, and it's not the cars fault for your driving instructor husband to not do all of the labor himself. Quit blaming the car for your own ignorance

“Our Brand New Mini Cooper with Chilli pack and other...”

Written on: 21/10/2010 by Oliver the dog (1 review written)

Our Brand New Mini Cooper with Chilli pack and other extras.
I feel it has become important to everyone thinking of a buying a Mini to draw their attention to deficiencies at MINI UK.
Our brand new vehicle was delivered with numerous faults to the front, bonnet, grilles and spats which made it look distorted - the dealership should have put these defects in order before delivery - even after two post delivery opportunities they still failed to do so and on top of that they claimed the vehicle… Read Full Review

Competenceiskey's Response to Oliver the dog's Review

Written on: 02/09/2013

This is supposed to be a review of the tangible car, not a rant about the car dealership you dealt with. If you were semi competent you would have fully inspected the car before you purchased it, and got another one in better shape. This isn't a review of the car. The Mini Cooper Sport is one of the best handling cars you can buy for under $100,000.. not to mention stock they are pretty quick, and if you tune it (pulley reduction [if supercharged], CAI, exhaust, coilovers, ect..), it will keep up with expensive performance cars, if not beat them. You've clearly got a "bad egg" which was your own fault. The Mini is a fantastic car, but isn't for the naïve.

“This is my 4 Mini Cooper and it puts a smile on my...”

Written on: 28/09/2010 by lindylou176 (1 review written)

This is my 4 Mini Cooper and it puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. For that reason I am about to buy another. I understand there have been a few people unhappy with their Mini's, I will say 3 words, complain, complain, complain. One of my Mini's was a Friday afternoon car and the dealership bought it back from me and had to sell it up north (I lived in Surrey at the time). I wrote to BMW Mini complaining as it was in their garage more than it was in mine. You name it, it went wrong… Read Full Review

James Mcguigan's Response to lindylou176's Review

Written on: 11/03/2011

I found this review helpful because...Lindylou suspects the 'Friday PM and Monday AM' syndrome still persists despite all the robotics. However, I live 'up North' and, whilst I congratulate her persistence in sorting out her problems, I only hope the Mini was repaired before being 'deported'.
<br/>I noted it was a 'very wise man' at her Dealership...never even tried to win the argument. Probably, married and 'house trained'.

“I have owned my mini cooper s convertible since new. I...”

Written on: 23/09/2010

I have owned my mini cooper s convertible since new. I love the look of the car but realistically it is not practical. I have had 2 services and during the last service 8 months ago, I pointed out that I had replaced the front driver tyre 3 times and there was a knocking sound. On collection of the car, I was informed nothing was wrong. I have just taken the car for its 3rd service, 30,000 miles and pointed out that the noise is still there and it has started overheating. The warranty ran out 4… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 21/06/2012

I had the same issue with a peugeot 206cc. The 5 year warranty (extended two years beyond the normal 3 yrs, owned since new and serviced by the same people since purchase) ran out and suddenly I was faced with a mssive £3,000 bill. I spoke direct to HO (as like yourself I had a reoccuring issue with tyre wear and other bits), I was offered a £1,500 discount. I declined (telling them where to stick it) and part ex'd the car for a mini, aiming to keep it for max of 3 yrs. I shall never ever have another peugeot. My philosopy now is never ever have a car beyond any warranties, its just too much hassle! The only car I ever owned in the past, that gave me 100% satifaction to drive, service, reliabilty and excellent resale was a sporty little toyota. Shame they dont make them like they used to!

“I was thrilled to purchase my ex-demo mini Cooper S...”

Written on: 07/09/2010

I was thrilled to purchase my ex-demo mini Cooper S Clubman and love it too bits. It works well with three small kids but not so well with a dog in the boot!
However at only 20k miles the clutch has gone. Mini won't accept responsibility and I know it's not my driving style. I asked them to keep the parts so I could get an independent expert to look at the clutch but when I went to collect the car the garage has returned them to Mini. This is my second "high spec" mini and I feel let down… Read Full Review

“I've had my Cooper for 9 months bought from a small...”

Written on: 12/08/2010

I've had my Cooper for 9 months bought from a small Dealer (not Main) 3 months warranty no problems. 60000 on clock when purchased now 70000. Since then I have had...new radiator, window motor,airbag sensor, air con problems and recently power steering pump and wiper motor replaced. In all I have spent over £1500 in 9 months. Getting rid. Wouldn't touch another with a barge pole!!… Read Full Review

“i have had my mini cooper for six months and luv it...”

Written on: 25/01/2010

i have had my mini cooper for six months and luv it ive had loads of retro cars from gti's to xr's and gte and find the mini to be spacious reliable and quick off the mark u get what u pay for mine cost 6000 with 62000 miles on the clock and it hasnt let me down it has asphetic looks and will be a future classic im sure and i have owned a few original mini's incl a 60's clubman estate and loved that and when u have owned cars like a " porshe " u cant expect a car that costs twenty grand to… Read Full Review

“I bought my mini cooper 1.6 automatic after my peugeot...”

Written on: 30/10/2009

I bought my mini cooper 1.6 automatic after my peugeot died. I absolutely love my mini more than any other car I have owned. It is clearly very well built with quality materials. It is surprisingly spacious inside (the only part that is small is the boot). It drives beautifully - better than any other auto supermini that I test drove. I can't imagine switiching to another car other than a new mini cooper… Read Full Review

“I purchased a Mini Cooper Convertible 2 years ago....”

Written on: 18/07/2009

I purchased a Mini Cooper Convertible 2 years ago. Whilst mechanically its been fine I really do not like this car. I've owned Porsches and Merc convertibles in the past but the mini is totally impractical. There is no boot space (regardless of whether the roof is up or down). The ride is extremely hard and uncomfortable. The visibility out of the rear window is pathetic. I have found the dealerships to be most unhelpful. For what it is, the car is very much overpriced. The car is underpowered… Read Full Review

“I have had my Mini Cooper for 4 years and have had it...”

Written on: 07/05/2009

I have had my Mini Cooper for 4 years and have had it from new. Although I still love it I have had problems with it that you just don't expect from a £16,000 BMW! It has had 2 new steering colums, a new radiator fan and it rattles like hell. I also have the white wheels which are a nightmare to clean! The bracket on my exhaust has rotted and there is a hole developing in the exhaust box. I have only done 35,000 miles. All I can say is thank god the servicing is free for another year!… Read Full Review

“I have owned a Mini Cooper for 4 years now. It came to...”

Written on: 23/02/2008 by Sallie6532 (1 review written)

I have owned a Mini Cooper for 4 years now. It came to me 3 years old and with 11,000 miles on the clock. I traded in a family BMW 2000 for it and I love it. I choose to write now following a rear ending accident. The other driver was traveling approx 40 miles per hour, me and the traffic in front around 10 miles an hour. She pushed me off the road and I expected loads and loads of damage. Witness and police stopped; externally there appears to be only 2 scratches below the bumper. The safety… Read Full Review

“I've had my Mini Cooper now for 4 years. Very reliable...”

Written on: 20/02/2008 by lucype (1 review written)

I've had my Mini Cooper now for 4 years. Very reliable and loved it up until two years ago when I needed to have more contact with the BMW Dealership. Had to go to the dealer for a couple of things, lights needing replacing, windscreen wipers wearing out quickly (4 months!), needed tuning every 6-8 months as cuts out easily. These tamperings are not counted in the TLC package so beware! These sound like inexpensive minor aggravations HOWEVER, after going to the dealership for a new windscreen… Read Full Review

“I've owned my Mini Cooper for nearly a year and it...”

Written on: 28/07/2007 by deebo (1 review written)

I've owned my Mini Cooper for nearly a year and it holds the corners really well, apart from the slight oversteer and the lack of exit speed that can be gained, the biggest most annoying thing is the windscreen, it sits far to vertical and the flies stick to it like glue, nearly everyday the windscreen needs a good rub down when I get home from work. It's nippy from 1st to 3rd gear and when in 5th it feels like theres still another gear to go. The rev counter 2 inches behind the steering wheel… Read Full Review

“I love my Mini Cooper! I had a Mini One previously...”

Written on: 23/07/2007 by mindy d (1 review written)

I love my Mini Cooper! I had a Mini One previously which was also good fun to drive but I decided to spoil myself.
A very nippy car for city driving or around country lanes, grips the road well.
Drove to Italy in my Mini One and have just got back from the Netherlands in my Cooper and no problems on either trip: an enjoyable and fun drive!
Mini also do trips (see above) arranged around race tracks to give you opportunity to take it on the track, test out the run flat tyres and watch the stunt… Read Full Review

“I hate this car. I bought the car off my mum with only...”

Written on: 17/06/2007 by pookyal (1 review written)

I hate this car. I bought the car off my mum with only 12,000 miles on the clock and thought it was a safe bet. It was 4 years old and had the TLC package; only the 3 dealers I approached all said that they would not service the car as it had not done the minimum mileage and the car hadn't "told me" it needed it. I knew it needed it and surely that is what mattered. Further, and more importantly, the car was unsafe. It had a habit of cutting out, especially on sudden breaking. This happened a… Read Full Review

Roger Bryce's Response to 293605_pookyal's Review

Written on: 15/09/2007

I thought this review was helpful - we are waiting for ours to arrive here in Australia!

“My Mini Cooper 1.6 16V is fast, fun, chili red with...”

Written on: 04/06/2007 by battersea (2 reviews written)

My Mini Cooper 1.6 16V is fast, fun, chili red with white roof and mirrors, 32 mpg, and reliable! Everyone should drive one! Can't wait to get the Traveller Wagon coming out 2008… Read Full Review

“It is as though my Mini Cooper 1.6 16V is glued to the...”

Written on: 22/10/2006 by terencefish (6 reviews written)

It is as though my Mini Cooper 1.6 16V is glued to the road when cornering - great fun. Almost forget to fill up with petrol because it goes so far on a tank; great looks and great performance. Still like it loads and it seems to cross every cultural and economic barrier - a truly people's car… Read Full Review