Dodge Dakota Reviews

Dodge Dakota - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Dodge Dakota

Dodge Dakota
Dodge Dakota

“ Bought 02 Dakota quad cab slt. 3 weeks after I...”

Written on: 30/03/2011

Bought 02 Dakota quad cab slt. 3 weeks after I bought ,the electrical problems started. Rear window defroster, electric controls in drivers door,heater/ac blower control last 6/8 months b4 it blows,they still cant find problem. Computer crashed at 56000 miles, out of warranty, imagine that? front rotors warpted at 18000 42000 and 67000. It must have been made on a Monday. If It weren,t for my health issues I would have dumped it years ago. 4.7 it cant pass a gas station… Read Full Review

“i bpught my 1996 dodge dakota sport pick up in 2008....”

Written on: 07/05/2009 by lambeyes68 (1 review written)

i bpught my 1996 dodge dakota sport pick up in 2008. it had 238000 miles on it then now it has 247230 miles. it has been acting up a little and no one seems to be able to fix the problem. it is a beautiful truck, 5 spd and is idling way too fast and just started this. also no one can tell me the value… Read Full Review

Dodgehater's Response to lambeyes68's Review

Written on: 25/02/2010

You probably have to replace the throttle body position sensor. It is simple enough, and no mechanic needed. You will need the correct star point driver. I had one of these trucks, and it did the same thing. It rode like an old buggy, and it cost $600 to replace a fuel pump. Forget about rebuilding the front end, ehich wore out at 120K miles. Truck is only worth $400 and not worth fixing. Drive it he desert until it quits and have some fun beating it up.

“I have an 03 Dodge Dakota SXT with the 3.9 v6 and I...”

Written on: 06/08/2007 by jugfisher31706 (1 review written)

I have an 03 Dodge Dakota SXT with the 3.9 v6 and I love the power, great acceleration, and great torque. I pull a pretty heavy 17 foot boat with it and I have no problem. There hasn't been a boat landing that I have had to spin out of yet. Great overall truck, I really want an R/T tho… Read Full Review

“5 of us at the same workplace bought 4X4 Dogde Dakota...”

Written on: 25/02/2006 by eyeore101 (1 review written)

5 of us at the same workplace bought 4X4 Dogde Dakota LE Club Cab trucks at the same time. 3 even had the same electric blue paint job. It truly was coincidental. I'm the lucky one, having been the only one out of us 5 to not have the transmission destroy itself in one year. I did have the rear differential disintegrate after only 17,000 miles of mostly freeway driving, though (replaced under warranty). The third rear differential (I had it replaced under warranty, as well) is finally… Read Full Review

“I own a 2003 Dodge Dakota quad cab and me and my wife...”

Written on: 14/07/2005 by hoghunt300 (1 review written)

I own a 2003 Dodge Dakota quad cab and me and my wife love this truck. We take my truck everywhere we go. She says it rides better and we have room to put things in the back. I bought my truck on a Sunday and on Monday my father went and bought one just like mine and he also loves his Dakota. Recently I went to Panama, FL, to visit my friend and we went out one afternoon riding in my Dakota and the following week I got a call from my buddy and they went out and bought themselves a Dodge… Read Full Review

“We have just traded in our '93 Dodge Dakota Truck,...”

Written on: 29/10/2004 by Bill51 (1 review written)

We have just traded in our '93 Dodge Dakota Truck, with 202,500kms on it, for a used '03 Quad Cab. If the '03 is as good as the '93 we'll be all set for at least another 10 years… Read Full Review

“I love my '99 dodge dakota there is nothing bad about...”

Written on: 27/12/2003 by Thunderchild (1 review written)

I love my '99 dodge dakota there is nothing bad about it its 5.2L engine was the best out there… Read Full Review

Renchturn's Response to Thunderchild's Review

Written on: 25/03/2004

I have a 99 Dodge Dakota 4x4 5.2 and having a lot of driability problems, I need some help. from mike renchturn@mchsi.com

“I have had two Dodge Dakotas. A yellow 3.9 V-6 and now...”

Written on: 19/12/2003 by sdickey (1 review written)

I have had two Dodge Dakotas. A yellow 3.9 V-6 and now have a Yellow 5.9 R/T. Everything about these trucks were great. They run good, accelerate good, turn outstanding, stop good and over all they look great.
The 3.9 V-6 was a pretty strong engine. When I really put the pedal down on the highway it would chirp 2nd gear everytime, and this was an automatic. Bone stock in every extent. I was very happy with this truck. So when I stumbled on to a club cab R/T, I could not resist the immense power… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“We waited 30 years to get our Dodge Dakota that no one...”

Written on: 25/04/2003 by beaver. (1 review written)

We waited 30 years to get our Dodge Dakota that no one had owned before.We made the biggest mistake of our lives when we decided to buy a chrysler product a 17000 mistake and we will never buy another one… Read Full Review

Wojo's Response to beaver.'s Review

Written on: 16/09/2003

The Dakota was redesigned in 2000, probably for good reason. I had a 2001 and can't wait for my 2004. Outstanding vehicle in every respect. Find a way!

Pig's Response to beaver.'s Review

Written on: 02/12/2005

Many people are happy with their Dodge Dakota, however Dodge is rather bad for having inconsistent products. When the new hemi first came out it was junk, now it's a lot better. The 318 5.2 litre is almost bullet proof. I personally feel that people are misled into thinking Dodge is an American company, it may be, but only on the outside. Inside, it's just a bucket of low end parts (Mitsubishi) getting sold, competing with prices of Ford and Chevy. Wonder why dodge makes more money? Think about it. Buy a Mitsubishi and save a bundle, or buy a quality Ford or Chevy.

“The only thing I can add on the Dakota 4X4 topic is...”

Written on: 16/02/2003 by chris. (1 review written)

The only thing I can add on the Dakota 4X4 topic is that mine has 195,000 miles an still runs strong! True my ball joints are now just going out and the transmision is beginning to slip. I have driven all types of trucks and my Dakota has been the best of all. I will also add I feel that luxury trucks are built on different assy. lines than base trucks. My Dakota is an SLT and I would bet all those that are giving so much trouble are base trucks. They just are not built the same. This goes… Read Full Review

“It's all in how you treat and look after the...”

Written on: 09/02/2003 by Wildman. (1 review written)

It's all in how you treat and look after the vehicle. Can't say enough about how good my 1990 Dakota has been and hope to have a newer R/T model very soon.

“I bought this 4-door dakota in Nov 2001. Now have...”

Written on: 23/10/2002 by ronald. (1 review written)

I bought this 4-door dakota in Nov 2001. Now have 17,000 miles on truck, love it… Read Full Review

Vince Schall.'s Response to 45778_ronald.'s Review

Written on: 08/12/2002

Your assement was very helpful as I just ordered an 03 Club cab,4.7/AT Sport Plus and most of the options. Ground clearence is a concern of mine but I have a Polaris Sportsman 500 HO that will fit nicely in back with tailgate closed [it can go almost anywhere!] I test drove an 03 W/4.7/AT 3.55 gears and it felt like a mild hotrod! I plan on adding Headers/cat back/TB spacer/Air intake system. Jeep Grand Cheroke has same engine HiOutput/265 HP/325 Torque. How do they get it? Thanks. Vinny

“I give the Dodge Dakota lorry a great overall rating....”

Written on: 12/09/2002 by Bilkl. (1 review written)

I give the Dodge Dakota lorry a great overall rating. Let the Ford and Chevy boys drive their trucks, I drove a 72 Chevy C-10 for 26 before I traded it in for my '98 Dakota. I looked at Chevy and Ford. They had no headroom. Dakota beats them all.......even Toyota in my book !… Read Full Review

John Pearson.'s Response to Bilkl.'s Review

Written on: 12/10/2002

I agree the dodge dakota is a good truck I got my second dakota my first was a 91 with a 5.2 my new one has a 4.7 what a difference in power over the 5.2 I hope my next dokota will have a hemi if they will put then in the dakotas I heard that they will somday I hope! go dodge

“The Dodge Dakota is the best vehicle I've ever owned....”

Written on: 27/08/2002 by Blake. (1 review written)

The Dodge Dakota is the best vehicle I've ever owned. It rides smoother than the car I use to have and it will get up and going pretty quick :)… Read Full Review

“The Dodge Dakota has more power than any other truck...”

Written on: 14/06/2002 by dakota97. (1 review written)

The Dodge Dakota has more power than any other truck in it's class. It will out perform the Chevy/GMC S10/s15 and Fords Ranger. I own a 97 Sport Club Cab with the 318 (5.2L) and I can tell you from experience that It has more than enough power. I am not sure as to how well it would tow a 3500 lb trailer though. I have only had to take it to the shop for routine maintenance and one check engine light which turned out to be an upstream O2 sensor. The room in the cab is far greater than Chevy/Gm… Read Full Review

“i bought a 2002 Dodge Dakota sport quad cab with a...”

Written on: 06/04/2002 by ken. (1 review written)

i bought a 2002 Dodge Dakota sport quad cab with a 4.7lt posi rear end. this truck has yet to even stumble it pulls my 3000lb boat around as if it wasnt there. i have never driven a better truck-the engine seems to be one of the most reliable ones around according to repair histories. i should know-i am a journeyman mechanic. if you purchase any thing other than this truck you WILL be seeing either me or one of my friends. i work as a GMC mechanic and i would never buy a piece of junk as a gmc… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“If you're thinking of buying a Dodge Dakota, is there...”

Written on: 28/01/2002 by Pwr_lft. (1 review written)

If you're thinking of buying a Dodge Dakota, is there anymore that needs to be said? These things (all years) are POS. Terrible vehicles. Stop your heartache before it starts, don't buy one… Read Full Review

20869_Chris.'s Response to 10792_Pwr_lft.'s Review

Written on: 23/04/2002

I'm considering the Dakota to pull my 3500lbs trailer....Not that Ford or GMC couldn't do it but the
price is closer to the range I can afford so.....You can't go to Dodge, GM or Ford for reviews. They
all have the best trucks in the world. Consequently you have to rely on consumer reviews.
<br>Unfortunately your review doesn't say much to help me decide. Not satisifed with with Dakota?
<br>Would really like to know why.
<br>Thanks!
<br>
<br>Chris Gamache
<br>Montreal, Qc
<br>Canada

Mr Shoot2Kill's Response to 10792_Pwr_lft.'s Review

Written on: 04/07/2004

Diddle... it's very obvious you've never driven ANYTHING foreign and, therefore, much of what you say is wrong. Foreign garbage? Pull your head our your crack and take a breathe of fresh air. A $15,000 Toyota Tundra, V6, 5 speed, long bed 2 wheel drive would outlast ANY American vehicle. and people... a lot of you say you've never done any hauling... then why the heck do you even have a truck? Get something a little more sensible.

49414_Diddle.'s Response to 10792_Pwr_lft.'s Review

Written on: 08/11/2002

I see two things. One is if you spend a little you get a little. If you go out and buy a cheap bottom of the line Dakota then that is EXACTLY what you are going to get with a cheap made AMERICAN car/truck. Look at mustang's. You go out and buy a stock inline or V6, the dash, engine etc. are all gonna fall apart on you. Buy a GT or Cobra etc. and the quality improves. How can you sit behind your computer and whine and moan because your 15,000 dollar POS stock dakota is falling apart? Did you honestly think that paying so little for a car that you are gonna get BMW, Ferrari etc. Quality? Errrm what are you people thinking. I have a 2002 Dakora R/T, b4 that truck I had a 97 4x4 with the V8 5.2L both trucks have out done all the foreign garbage, and stock 6 fords and chevy's. You get what you pay for people. No one on this planet makes truck's like the old chevy's and GMC's that run forever. Doesn'y happen anymore...If you want quality, you have to spend the cash.

44066_Jm.'s Response to 10792_Pwr_lft.'s Review

Written on: 16/10/2002

I have to agree. I bought a 1999 Dakota and I have had nothing but problems with it. It has cost me more money in repairs in the last 6 months than my old GMC cost me in 4 years! It has been towed twice, the paint is falling off even though it was in under warranty at least 10 times to be fixed. Everything that went wrong under warranty is now going wrong again and now I have to pay to have it fixed properly. Do not buy a Dodge, I know I never will again. I have 70,000kms on it and I need new tie rods and ball joints. This truck has never been off road nor has it every towed anything. Why should a 4X4 wear out so fast from normal driving conditions? It is going to cost me at least $1000 to fix. I hate this truck and I have tried selling it but no luck yet. Take my word for it, this story is true. Buy a Chevy instead it will be worth the extra money! If I can save one person the hassle of owning a Dodge, I will be happy. Good luck!

31482_Td.'s Response to 10792_Pwr_lft.'s Review

Written on: 01/08/2002

Sounds like you have no personal expirence, you just like to bash Mopars! I've owned 5 Mopars, 11 Chevys, 4 Pontiacs, 2 Oldsmobiles, 1 Buick, 4 Fords, 3 Mecurys and 1 Mazda and the 5 Mopars were every bit as good as the best of the Chevy's and better than all the Fomoco's.

24864_Huer.'s Response to 10792_Pwr_lft.'s Review

Written on: 26/05/2002

I drive truck for Schwan's and I get to talk to a lot of people about their vehicles and I can tell ya, there are very very few people out there who are completely satisfied with their Dodge.. From what I have heard they don't have desirable power with miserable gas milage and problem after problem.. I have talked to many unsatisfied dodge owners that say their vehicle is in the shop more than on the road. Whereas I talk to ford and chevy drivers alike and they are completelly content with their choice- Put in the extra dollar and get either a Ford or Chevy. Listen to the motorheads- Mopar sucks.

“I have had my 1996 4X4 Club Cab Dakota Sport V6 for 2...”

Written on: 15/10/2001 by Kristien. (1 review written)

I have had my 1996 4X4 Club Cab Dakota Sport V6 for 2 years . It has 110,000 km on it now 65, 000km of which I put on. Few problems to date. The addition of a canopy bumped my milage from 16-18 mpg or so up to 21-23 mpg on average hwy and city mix driving. Still upset that my dad's 1994 chev 350 half ton gets better milage but so be it.

Only problems so far in 2 years:
Stuck emergency brake cable caused heat checked my rear brake drum, believe it or not Dodge had the cheapest… Read Full Review

Hayers1's Response to Kristien.'s Review

Written on: 04/01/2004

I bought my 2000 Dodge Dakota 7 months ago with 116000 miles on it and I have had no trouble with it. It runs almost as good as my 2003 Mercury Grandmarquis. Mileage is good around 18 mpg. I love it and belive it will last a long time with care.

“I've only had the 2001 Dakota Club Cab for about four...”

Written on: 27/06/2001 by Ken. (1 review written)

I've only had the 2001 Dakota Club Cab for about four months now. But so far I haven't found anything wrong with it. It runs great and sounds solid. The gas mileage could be better, 15-19MPG for the V-6. And to get over 19, it would have to be mostly all freeway driving. The two tie downs Dodge has in front are hard to reach to tie a rope on them. They are under the bed with a small opening to get your fingers through. I bought a clamp to put on the tie downs and they work great. This truck… Read Full Review