John Fowler, Sandaway Beach Holiday Park Reviews

John Fowler, Sandaway Beach Holiday Park - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for John Fowler, Sandaway Beach Holiday Park

John Fowler, Sandaway Beach Holiday Park

“ PEACEFUL AND ENJOYABLE HOLIDAY THAT SUITS YOUR POCKET”

Written on: 30/05/2013

With the present on going global recession that we find ourselves in, it is not easy to find a holiday to suit our pockets. Gone are the days when we could holiday in Greece, Spain, Bulgaria, Italy, and other European destinations by booking a package holiday via your Travel Agent at a good reasonable price, and also find that you could get a good exchange rate. Gone is the Drachma, Peseta, the Lev and Lira, all of which have been replaced by the Euro. Gone are the days when holidaying in… Read Full Review

“Great park”

Written on: 03/09/2012 by Tony1972 (1 review written)

Just come back from this park, myself the wife our two teenagers and our three year old, have to say on reading some of the reviews you could be a bit worried about what to expect but fear not the park is great. The caravan was a little tired around the edges and I have stayed in better "silver" rated accommodation at both Haven and Park resort parks but that said I have paid a lot more. The park is small with lovely views. The club house is small but adequate and reminds you more of going to… Read Full Review

“excellent”

Written on: 12/08/2012 by dameion (1 review written)

best holiday in this country in years,everything was superb and staff were beyond helpful… Read Full Review

Johnwataboy's Response to dameion's Review

Written on: 31/05/2013

I will second that, my friend and I have had some great weeks and weekends at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park, run by John Fowler Holiday Parks Ltd, Marlborough Road, Ilfracombe. We normally chose May or September/October, because it suits our pockets 'off peak'. However, other than April/May this year (2013) the weather has normally been kind to us, and on one or two occasions in past years, has been even as warm and sunny as the peak season, and even better.

You are very much right in what you say about the staff a 'Sandaway Beach' - they are a good team who are managed by [name removed] the site Manager. Always a good welcome from [name removed], who is a real gregarious and sociable person to talk to. We have spent 14 holidays with John Fowler Holidays, and find them to be of excellent value for money. I don't think you will find any other company operating holiday parks at such a low price, and with such good facilities in their accommodation, and amenities in the Holiday Park.

With Ilfracombe and its Harbour a short drive away, and the village of Coombe Martin on its doorstep of the holiday Park, it's a beautiful destination to choose, and the views/scenery is out of this world.

Glad you enjoyed it and had a good time.

“AVOID”

Written on: 10/05/2012 by 1fedupmum (1 review written)

I had read bad reviews but thought some people might expect too much but was i wrong, We stayed for 3 nights at beginning of May 2012, on arrival i went to reception with my 10 year old disabled daughter to collect our key as we walked out of reception a younger boy ran up to her and punched her in the tummy leaving her very shocked and upset, what they hadnt told me when i booked was that a sporting tour was also booked on the site we arrived at our caravan and pulled out my daughters bed from… Read Full Review

Johnwataboy's Response to 1fedupmum's Review

Hi 1fedupmum,
So sorry to hear of your bad experiences at his beautiful holiday park. I do think that this sad event of your 10 year old disabled daughter being punched in the 'belly' by another child ( young lad). I know kids can be a bit boisterous and such incidents may happen, but they are rare at holiday parks such as Sandaway Beach Holiday Park, which has a good reputation, and certainly not one for adult or child violence on site, to my knowledge, and I have been going there for 14 years.

Of course you will get a little rowdiness on most caravan holiday parks with young adults having spent an enjoyable evening at the clubhouse. Maybe one or two drinks over the top, but I wouldn't say too drunk, as the clubhouse is well managed and controlled, and staff will refuse to serve alcohol to any person who appears to be obnoxious , disorderly or violent. So lets face it, when we go on holidays to holiday parks, we can expect a little bit of noise on site, and most people accept it. I don't think they would want to return to a holiday park if it was being run like a monastery.

I fully understand what you are saying, and I do take into consideration with regard to your responsibilities and the good care that you afford your disabled child. I will also say that May 2012 and 2013 has not been kind to us as far as the weather is concerned, and indeed I experience the cold weather there myself this very May.

We all like our own comfortable and cosy bed, and sometimes when on holiday we expect to have just that, but unfortunately it does not always turn out to be that way.....especially not at holiday parks where we chose to book a caravan, which also not so sound proof as your own brick house with double glazing and centrally heated. Remember, you get for what are prepared to, or can afford to pay.
Maybe the booking of an apartment would have been more suited to you and your daughter's needs, and perhaps you should have mentioned this at the time of your booking.

Never mind maybe something more suited for you will come your way this year. I do hope you will find accommodation, facilities and amenities of a standard that will be good for you both at a very reasonable price. You come over as being a very caring Mum and doing your very best to give your daughter a very happy life, which is what she deserves. Your day will come when you hit the Jackpot. Keep your head up high and keep smiling. The whole world is behind you.

“the accomodation quality seems to be hit and miss.”

Written on: 05/10/2011 by pineappleprincess (1 review written)

This was a sun break so didn't expect the accomodation to be brilliant - it wasn't. Luckily it was only a 3 night break, good job really. We were allocated a Carnation chalet which was dog friendly but we don't have a dog. Expected it to be a bit smelly/hairy but it seemed ok but extremely basic. There was no shower, just a tiny bath, not even a rubber hose on the taps. They said they were fully booked but another chalet might be available. It was and had sort of a shower that just pointed… Read Full Review

Johnwataboy's Response to pineappleprincess's Review

Written on: 31/05/2013

I read many reviews on dissatisfied holiday makers attending holiday parks for a 3 night break, but I rarely come across reviews as critical as yours. Still you are entitled to express your own personal views and complain where you feel you have a genuine cause for making that complaint.

You say you paid only £54 for three nights, and thought it wasn't even worth that. You do not specify the time of year you went to Sandaway Beach Holiday Park, and I can only presume that it was the end of the Holiday Park season.

When booking, you should really check out what kind of accommodation you need, which include the need of a bath or shower.

You describe the sofa as dirty, the dishes dirty, the toilet was smelly....and so on. I can honestly say that I have been to several sites run by John Fowler Holiday Parks, and more so at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park, and I can genuinely say that I have NEVER experience accommodation in the Park, as you describe.

I am at a loss as to why you chose to stay in it ,if it what was as you describe. You say you were offered an upgrade to a chalet, but you did not accept it. I do find it hard to believe . I fully accept that each and every holiday maker should have clean facilities, and bed linen is at the top of the list. As for dirty dishes and all other self catering facilities, I have always found John Fowler Sites accommodation 'spanking clean' , not just at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park, but their several other sites in Devon and Cornwall.

Having said that, and despite the needs for cleanliness and hygiene, which should be provided within all accommodations, then there are different sizes and grading attached to all accommodations with all companies who operate holiday parks. What you expected for 2 persons for three nights at a total cost of £54, I don't know ?...but you shouldn't expect to have the comforts of the 'Ritz' Hotel, as it is highly unlikely that you would receive it anywhere, let alone John Fowler Holiday Parks.

We all have different financial circumstances, but if we are to have a holiday, and a budget one at that, then I believe you are going to have to pay a little bit more than £54 for 3 nights. So my suggestion to you is put a few extra pennies away each week until you reach the target price, and then go and enjoy yourselves. You won't get anything much for nothing these days. Give it a try; and the best of luck to you and Sandaway Beach Holiday Park, which I shall be returning to for a great clean, comfortable, enjoyable time. Oh, and I will be using the bar, so as to create that little bit of extra merriment, and fun for myself and friend at such a low cost.

Pineappleprincess's reply to Johnwataboy's Comment

Written on: 03/06/2013

I'm sorry you think we were being over critical, but we were not expecting the ritz but acomodation of at least a reasonable standard and if you read the review properly you would have noticed we did move chalets which was just as bad maybe our standards are slightly higher than yours, Anyway that review was written in 2011 and its now 2013 maybe John fowler holidays saw the review and actually sorted the park out so people like yourself can now have an enjoyable holiday.

Johnwataboy's reply to Pineappleprincess's Comment

Written on: 19/06/2013

Hello, glad to see you come back to the review site from time to time.

Have you been putting away those extra pennies yet, for a better holiday....one that will cost you a bit more than £9 each per night. ...and yes of course, as you say, 'my standards are probably better than yours, but I don't really take that into account when I am going for a John Fowler Holiday. They are a good company who try to look after all classes of people. They cater for my higher standards as well as your expectations, but you simply have to pay that little extra whereas I enjoy eating out and have my 6 course meal. There is nothing wrong with you having your fish and chips in hand. As you say, we all have different standards and mine are slightly higher than yours. At the end of the day though, whatever you pay at John Fowlers for the different grading of caravans or chalets etcetera, you can be guaranteed a nice comfy clean bed and pillow to put your head down on at night.

Whatever, and whenever you go on your next holiday, let me give you a tip. Stay clear of Parkdean holiday parks. They do tend to be on the cheap side, and the rooms a bit smelly and the standards all round fall far short of those at Sandaway Beach, Combe Martin. You really would be better keeping to John Fowler Holidays, as they do cater for all classes of people, including those who like to only spend £54 for two persons x 3 nights.

Pineappleprincess's reply to Johnwataboy's Comment

Written on: 29/06/2013

I can only assume from your comments that you are a member of the John Fowler fan club or work for their publicity department. I feel that your comment about fish & chips and saving 'pennies' has nothing to do with our experience of the accommodation and quite offensive. I can only say that it was a good job we didn't pay full price, unfortunately people who do save their 'pennies' all year and would pay in full would be very disappointed with the chalet in our opinion. I reiterate that since 2011 they may have refitted the accommodation in question. I think that you have judged us without knowing anything about us and taken the review personally. As for parkdean, we have just returned from a sun holiday break for the fifth time and the caravan accommodation exceeded our expectations. We have given our opinion based on a comparison of two north devon holiday parks. We can actually afford to pay but why when we can get a bargain. Maybe that's why we had an hawaiian cruise recently.
I have never written a review on trip advisors until we went to John fowler sandaway bay and felt it was necessary to put our experience for others to make an informed choice.

“friday to monday break”

Written on: 03/10/2011

Reasonable sight but Combe Martin very disappointing. The caravan was clean but the windows didnt fit very well but as it was very warm weekend it didnt matter.there was a smell of drains in the bathroom particulsry after showering. the grass could have been shorter and the balcony overlooking the pool would have benefitted from being swept as there were quite alot of cigerette ends. the shop wasnt very well stocked and quite expensive. very disappointed with the take away fish and chips. the… Read Full Review

Written on: 22/06/2013

You are obviously referring to the John Fowler private beach, which in fact is down many steps within the site. Sandaway Beach itself is down at Coombe Martin Village and accessible from there. It is a public beach and is sandy. The beach to went to is private beach, and is not the one in the John Fowler Brochure.

“Family Holiday”

Written on: 20/08/2011 by Studawn (1 review written)

We have just got back from a really nice holiday at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park. The park is on top of a hill we amazing views over the sea and on a clear day you can see Swansea. We arrived at the park before our checkin time but was told it was a problem and got the keys early. Our caravan was only a 6 berth Bronze but was clean and had everything we needed. The park has a nice outside swimming pool which is heated with very friendly and helpful attendants. We found the staff to be very… Read Full Review

Johnwataboy's Response to Studawn's Review

Hi,

What a good review on John Fowler's Sandaway Beach Holiday Park. It sounds as if you have been peeping into my holiday note book, as you describe your experiences very much the same as mine. I have very much the same opinion as you on practically most things. Being close to Ilfracombe which has a beautiful harbour, is well worth a visit, and whilst you are there, get stuck into some nice and fresh fish and chips from the local fish and chips shops, and eat them in your hands the old fashioned traditional way. You can't beat it. As you say, on a clear day you can see across the Bristol Channel to Wales, and in particular Swansea, from where at Mumbles Pier the Waverley and Balmoral Passenger Paddle Steamers leave for Ilfracombe Harbour and return again the same day. ( a brilliant day out ). Other scenery, especially the coastal views from and around Ilfracombe are absolutely spectacular. A Holiday to this resort is not to be missed. Plenty of novelty and gift shops in Ilfracombe town, mostly all in the same street, and again at the harbour have a great variety of novelty gifts, not always to be found in other parts of the country. Fresh cockles, mussels and whelks are also a delicious snack, though these can be a little expensive; as shell fish always are wherever you go. If you are sat at the Harbour wall, be aware of the seagulls, as they will soon attack the fish and chips you are eating out of your hand. (Maybe you prefer to eat them inside the back room of the fish and chip shop and sat at a table for maybe 50 pence extra). Whilst in Ilfracombe, you can take a trip 2 miles up the road to Tesco Stores where you will get all the nic - nacs you want for back at your accommodation, such as tea, coffee, milk bread and whatever, should you choose to self cater.

However, I choose to eat out and we have found nowhere better or cheaper than driving down to the nearby village of Coombe Martin, where there is a lovely little restaurant known as HARBOUR DELI, where you will be able to sit in and order the most delicious English Breakfast you could wish for. 'Substantial' isn't the word, it is HUGE. The large plate holds 2 sausages, two eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 a portion of sorte potatoes, tomato, black pudding and a portion of beanz meanz Heinz. All is local Devon produce, superbly fresh cooked upon ordering , accompanied by toast, butter and a mug of 'Miles' Brand Devonshire Blended Tea, which washes your breakfast down a treat. ( Total cost £5.99 as at April, 2013) If you believe that to be expensive - well one consolation is that I doubt that you will need another meal to see you throughout the rest of the day. I like a lot - I eat a lot ,but I don't need anymore after eating a breakfast at the HARBOUR DELI, Coombe Martin..... Remember the name because there are a couple of other good cafes there also, but none will match the size,quality, price or freshness of the Harbour Deli.

Yes Studawn, there is much to write home about when you visit Sandaway Beach Holiday Park.. The staff are so friendly, and Wayne the new Park Manager there is a very gregarious and welcoming manager, as is [name removed] at the reception desk. The clubhouse is a smaller size than on other sites, but is an enjoyable place to visit in the evenings, if you enjoy a game of Bingo, or listen to live entertainment, also Karaoke, and children's entertainment. You can also meet 'Freddy the Fox' and his stripey friends who attend to the children's entertainment. The bar always provide a good variety of beer/lagers, and also shorts and prices are of what you would expect to pay anywhere in your home town. If you have never been to Sandaway Beach Holiday Park, give it a try, It is very much an enjoyable holiday that suits your pocket.

Back at Sandaway Beach

“Aug 2011 - Family with 1x8 yr old and 1x3yr old”

Written on: 20/08/2011 by Fredlang (1 review written)

This was our first time at a John Fowler site. Although the weather at the time was wet and muddy for a good percentage of the week there were many positives. The staff were very friendly, helpful and informative. The kids club was the best ever for our kids. We had to go every night! They even did Kids bingo which many other kids clubs don't do. They had a lot more on than other sites and our children preferred this club more than any other. The pool was great, a good size, warm, clean… Read Full Review

“sometimes i wander what people want.Yes its a small...”

Written on: 12/09/2010

sometimes i wander what people want.Yes its a small site but the staff, all of them, couldnt have been friendlier.your face gets remembered and unlike the bigger sites you get the personal touch.The beach isnt a beach in the traditional sense but is far more interesting.proper sandy beaches are only just down the road if thats your thing.Anyway i could go on praising this place buti know that we all have differing tastes so if you want a holiday thats both relaxing and lively as you want to… Read Full Review

Hi,
I didn't get your name, but I would agree that this a fair but short review of assessment of John Fowler Holiday Park at Sandaway Beach, Coombe Martin. It is indeed a small site compared to their other John Fowler's Holiday Parks in Devon and Cornwall. Nevertheless, I would rate it as one of the best. Very peaceful with in very picturesque coastal surroundings . The staff are very friendly and as you say, it can be very relaxing or as lively as you wish to make it. On our return journey home to Gloucestershire, we normally head down south east from Coombe Martin to wards Taunton and straight up the motorway. A much quicker journey, but also boring as most motorway driving is.

The route you chose when driving to Minehead along the North Devon coast road, has certainly got some stunning and breath taking views. It is as you say a drive of your life. One doesn't have to go abroad to see such beautiful scenery, when it is right here on our doorstep. There is so much to be seen if you travel the coastline of the British Isles, and the North Devonshire coastline from Ilfracombe to Minehead is one of the best you will experience.

Happy holidays for the future, and safe and pleasant motoring.

“To be honest after reading other reviews of this John...”

Written on: 25/08/2010

To be honest after reading other reviews of this John Fowler Sandaway Beach we really didnt want to go and was dreading it. When we arrived and booked into our caravan it was perfect. The staff are friendly and the outside pool is fantastic, we used it everyday and our two boys aged 9 and 2 loved it, plus its also heated, and the lifeguard was very welcoming with a good sense of humour. We didnt use the club alot but when we did it was brilliant and the food although quite basic was well… Read Full Review

“Myself, husband, mother-in-law & four children have...”

Written on: 25/08/2010

Myself, husband, mother-in-law & four children have just returned from here, found it to be a lovely park, our caravan was clean & really well placed, loved that the caravans weren't parked close to each other as sound does carry, outdoor pool was enjoyed by our kids come rain or shine as it was heated. Found Combe Martin village to be a lovely welcoming place to go, found most of what we needed in the local shops. The walk back up, well, nice walk & we all feel fitter than when we got… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 20/06/2011

thanks for tip on the launderette has going down there this year and notice after booking no launderette not one in combe martine caravan site too so good know got one in the village save me asking got 3 boys so proberly will use it once during holiday stay when down there..
.. : )

Hi ,
Glad the seven of you enjoyed your holiday at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park. You must have had your hands full with the four children. Still it was still a nice break for you all.

It really is a nice site to holiday at, and many people don't know what they are missing. It certainly is good value for money. Coombe Martin is a really nice village with gift shops, a couple of pubs, restaurant/cafes and a mini supermarket. If you are walking down to the village it is a pleasant walk with a brilliant view out across the sea (Bristol Channel) Prices are reasonable in the village. The restaurant/ café that we used was named the HARBOUR DELI, a lovely little café that served the biggest breakfast I had ever seen. It more than filled a large sized plate with two sausage, two eggs, tomatoe, two rashers of bacon, (two thick rounds of black pudding if you wanted at no extra charge) portion of mushrooms, sorte potatoes, and baked beans. All washed down with a mug of 'Miles' local blend /brew of tea, with toast and butter...an absolutely substantial meal, freshly cooked from time of ordering with top quality locally obtained produce . At a cost of just £5.99, it is of great value; and you will not want another meal for the remainder of the day..and that is how filling it is! I think one large breakfast would have ben enough for the '4 kids' and their classmates.
Happy holidays 2013

“We have just returned from Sandaway Beach Holiday park...”

Written on: 16/07/2010 by The Martins (1 review written)

We have just returned from Sandaway Beach Holiday park in Combe Martin. We booked this short break through the Sun newspaper £9.50 holidays,i'm going to get to the point, it was a bargain! The park is lovely, staff are friendly, the club house is on the small side but was always clean, our caravan was a primula bronze, to be honest we were a bit anxious with only paying £60.00 for 4 people for a short break (M-F, on arrival we were really suprised as the caravan was nice, obviously not the best… Read Full Review

Johnwataboy's Response to The Martins's Review

Hi there 'The Martins'

Good honest review, I think you've hit the nail on the head. We certainly love Sandaway Beach Holiday Park and Combe Martin village. Small but I suppose adequate for a stroll and some nic-nacs, though the hill is a bit of a bind if you are walking back up it. The holiday park is one of several in Devon and Cornwall, and if you are into staying at a larger site, with more lively entertainment, then Trelawne Manor is another one worth visiting.

The Martins's reply to Johnwataboy's Comment

Written on: 02/06/2013

Thank you Johnwataboy. We did enjoy our stay and thank you for the recommendation of Trelawne Manor we may just give that a go.

Johnwataboy's reply to The Martins's Comment

MANY THANKS.
WITH REGARDS TO TRELAWNE MANOR.

IF YOU DO GO THERE, THEN DON'T FORGET YOUR ARE 2 MILES FROM LOOE; IT'S LITTLE VILLAGE AND HARBOUR. ..AND POLPERRO, IS ALSO ONLY 2 MILES AWAY. THIS VILLAGE IS VERY QUAINT. OLD COTTAGE GIFT SHOPS AND NARROW COBBLED STREETS. A TYPICAL CORNISH SMUGGLERS VILLAGE IN TIMES GONE BY. THERE ARE A FEW GOOD PUBS THERE, AND ALSO A BRITISH LEGION CLUB. (CHEAPER ON THE DRINKS) WHICH WE HAD NO PROBLEM AS VISITORS. SOMEONE WILL ALWAYS SIGN YOU IN. IT'S A VERY SMALL VILLAGE, AND NOT TO COMMERCIALISED, SO DON'T EXPECT SUPERMARKETS AND MAJOR STORES THERE.

AS FOR LOOE, IT HAS A FEW GOOD FISH AND CHIP SHOPS, AND BAKERY SHOPS SELLING THE AUTHENTIC ORIGINAL CORNISH PASTIES, AND CORNISH CREAM, AND CORNISH CIDER TO TAKE BACK TO YOUR CARAVAN, OR EVEN TAKE HOME WITH YOU. THERE ARE ALSO RESTAURANTS AT LOOE. BOAT TRIPS FOR SHARK FISHING GO FROM LOOE HARBOUR DAILY, BUT DURING GOOD WEATHER ONLY.

SINCE 1999/2000, WE HAVE HAD A HOLIDAY AT JOHN FOWLER HOLIDAY PARKS EACH AND EVERY YEAR. SOMETIMES TWICE IN A YEAR, WHICH CAN BE AFFORDABLE IF YOU CHOOSE THE OFF PEAK MONTHS (APRIL , MAY AND SEPTEMBER, OCTOBER, WHEN WE BOOK AN APARTMENT/OR A CHALET.

APARTMENTS AT TRELAWNE MANOR ARE EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD, AND NOT THAT MUCH DEARER THAN A CARAVAN. THE HOLIDAY SITE IS CONSIDERABLY BIGGER THAN SANDAWAY, AND THERE ARE MORE AMMENITIES THERE.

THE CLUBHOUSE IS CONSIDERABLY MORE BIGGER THAN THAT AT SANDAWAY BEACH, (SEATS ACOUPLE OF HUNDRED) AND ENTERTAINMENT IS BETTER; MORE VARIETY AND PROFESSIONAL ARTISTS, WELL SUITED FOR THE ADULTS IF YOU LIKE COMEDIANS (STAND UP COMEDY ON STAGE).

FREDDY THE FOX IS PRESENT IN THE CLUBHOUSE, DURING THE EVENINGS ALONG WITH THE STRIPEYS (SIMILAR TO RED COATS) TO SUPERVISE, ENTERTAIN, PLAY GAMES AND CARE FOR THE CHILDREN.

BAR PRICES ARE JUST AS AT EVERY OTHER JOHN FOWLER SITE, AND WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT TO PAY AT YOUR LOCAL PUB AT HOME.

OTHER CAMP SITES SUCH AS ST IVES IS ALSO A NICE HOLIDAY PARK, AND THE CLUBHOUSE QUITE LARGE. HOWEVER I DID NOT THINK MUCH OF THE CHALETS, WHICH WERE SITUATED IN WOODED AREAS OF THE HOLIDAY PARK.

AS FOR THE HARBOUR AND SEASIDE OF ST IVES, THEN IT IS A DIFFICULT PLACE TO ACCESS BY CAR. SO POPULAR, THAT THE TRAFFIC INTO AND OUT OF ST IVES IS OFTEN AT A STOP START, AND STANDSTILL IN THE VERY NARROW STREETS THERE. OTHERWISE A BEAUTIFUL HARBOUR TO VISIT.

FINALLY SOUTHBAY HOLIDAY PARK, BRIXHAM IS A GOOD HOLIDAY PARK AND CLUBHOUSE (QUITE LARGE AGAIN). FOR A DAY OUT, THEN TRIPS TO NEARBY TORBAY AND TORQUAY ARE GOOD PLACES TO VISIT BY THE SEA; BOTH BEING A SHORT JOURNEY BY CAR. BRIXHAM HARBOUR IS VERY MUCH LIKE ILFRACOMBE HARBOUR, ONLY A BIT BIGGER. IT HAS SMALL TOWN WITH BIG NAME RETAILERS, ALSO FISH AND CHIP SHOPS, AND CAFES. THE FISH IS ALWAYS AT ITS FRESHEST AND BEST AT THE HARBOUR, WITH THE TRAWLERS COMING IN DAILY.

OF THE THREE (TRELAWNE , BRIXHAM, AND ST IVES) I RATE THEM AS BEST, IN THAT ORDER.

GETTING TO THESE HOLIDAY SITES, YOU ARE WELL ADVISED TO TAKE A SAT NAV TO FIND SOUTHBAY BRIXHAM,(OBTAIN THE POSTCODE) AS YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH A RESIDENTIAL HOUSING ESTATE TO GET TO THE HOLIDAY SITE, AND AT FIRST JOURNEY THERE, IT IS LIKE GOUNG THROUGH A CRYSTAL MAZE.

IF YOU DO DECIDE ON ANOTHER JOHN FOWLER HOLIDAY, IT IS SIMPLY MY PERSONAL OPINION, THAT IF YOU PREFER A BIGGER SITE THAN SANDAWAY BEACH , THEN THE AFOREMENTIONED PARKS ARE THE ONES TO CHOOSE FROM, ESPECIALLY TRELAWNE MANOR, NEAR LOOE, CORNWALL. .

I SHALL LEAVE YOU TO IT, AND WISH YOU THE BEST. ONCE AGAIN, THANKS FOR LEAVING YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS WEBSITE.

The Martins's reply to Johnwataboy's Comment

Written on: 03/06/2013

Absolut brilliant! Thank you so much! We have visited some of the places you talked about (not john fowler) and loved st Ives, I know what yiu mean about the traffic! My Dad lobes Brixham, nit been there myself but will deffo visit zll the places you mentioned. Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive piece.
Best Regards

Johnwataboy's reply to The Martins's Comment

The Martin Family

My pleasure. Happy Holidays - whenever, wherever.
..and thank you for your response to my review also

“We have just returned from sandaway beach, we have...”

Written on: 11/07/2010 by neville shore (1 review written)

We have just returned from sandaway beach, we have three small children aged 3,4 and a half, and nearly seven, the cost of the actual hoiday was good value although some of the prices on site were a bit expensive. We didn't spend loads of time on the site but from what we saw it was a nice tidy site and didn't have anything to complain about, the drive to get there however was long and sometimes very stressful PORLOCK HILL is a name i will never forget but that is my fault for taking the costal… Read Full Review

Johnwataboy's Response to neville shore's Review

Hi,
Glad you enjoyed Sandaway Beach Holiday Park. We thought it was great also and will certainly be returning again and again , as we have done for the past 14 years. Interesting what you said about PORLOCK HILL. You are quite right about is gradient of 1 in 4. Going up it with a load on is tough enough, and you need a car with a few horses under the bonnet to do so. You want to experience it going down hill. It can be quite nerve-racking if you are a learner, or inexperienced in descending and negotiating such a hill. Still all of this will add to your memories of a lifetime.

“just had our 6th holiday on sandaway we go every...”

Written on: 05/07/2010 by dawnprice (1 review written)

just had our 6th holiday on sandaway we go every year.... caravans very clean lovely views... pool is great a great place for fun and relax also gets the sun. entertainment not the best but it is ok just depends really what they put on... we make our own fun, site is quiet not alot for families but our grandaughter loves the play ground and the soft play. it a cheap holiday if you pick the right time to go. we go every year all i can say is you get what you pay for,, if you want 5 star then… Read Full Review

Johnwataboy's Response to dawnprice's Review

We will second that.
Great holiday Park - great staff, very relaxing, plenty of fun and what you make of it. Excellent value for what you pay having regard to time of year. There are thousands out there that do not know what they are missing for such low cost. We have been going for the past 14 years on John Fowler Holidays, and Sandaway is my favourite, and we shall be booking to go there again next year.

“ just come back from a wonderful holiday. scenery...”

Written on: 30/04/2010

just come back from a wonderful holiday. scenery breathtaking. caravan clean. ideal for someone who likes a quiet holiday. maybe to hilly for those that are not good at walking. bus just up the road if you do not want to use car.heated outdoor swimming pool.everyone so friendly and helpful… Read Full Review

Written on: 31/05/2013

Glad you had a wonderful holiday at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park, Coombe Martin, Ilfracombe. What a fantastic place you chose to go to, but somewhat hilly. Suitable only for those that have a car. The Park and its various accommodations, apartments, chalets and caravans are spotlessly clean, well furnished and with all the facilities you need on a self catering holiday However, the cooking stays at home when we are on holiday. If you keep your eyes open when in Coombe Martin, you will find a couple or so of good places to eat, and at reasonable prices.

Next time you go there, try the HARBOUR DELI café/restaurant in Coombe Martin village for an all day Breakfast. It is huge and will fill you up for the rest of the day. (2 x sausages, 2 x eggs , 2 x rashers of bacon, 2 x black pudding rings, tomato, sorte potatoes, mushrooms and baked beans. All washed down with a mug of Miles local blended brew - delicious flavour. Also toast and butter - allincluded in the price of £5.99 (as at April, 2013) Try it out the next time you go to John Fowlers Holiday Park at Sandaway. You won't be sorry.

“our chalet (no 24) at sandaway, coombe martin, was...”

Written on: 26/04/2010

our chalet (no 24) at sandaway, coombe martin, was very dated, with tears in the furniture and a disgusting damp smell. I have just had to wash all our bedding and clothes even the ones we didn't wear as they are smelling so bad. The only good thing about it was the lovely views of the sea. The evening entertainment was just OK. A short walk into the village for few nice restaurants/pubs… Read Full Review

Hi,
Don't know your name, but was sorry to read your review about Sandaway Holiday Park Chalet No 24 when you went on holiday. I go on a John Fowler Holiday every single year, sometimes twice per year. Each time we have been our chalet or apartment has always been 'spanking clean'. I have never been able to fault them. April is not the best time of the year to go there, but it can sometimes turn out to be good fine weather. At that time of the year, Sandaway would have had a few empty accommodations available for you to take in its place, but again if you did not immediately complain, then the matter will not be sorted out for you. I think this is the odd incident,because it has a high pass mark with reviews from most people.

“we have just returned from sandaway beach holiday park...”

Written on: 20/04/2010

we have just returned from sandaway beach holiday park and although it is a very small park with not a lot of entertainment the staff are very friendly, we booked in to our caravan early and also had the use of 2 other john fowler parks, oh and the private beach is beautiful but beware of the tides as they really do come in very quickly… Read Full Review

Written on: 22/06/2013

Yes you are quite right. Safety is a priority on seaside holidays. The sea can be so beautiful and enjoyable if you respect it.....but if you turn your back on it, then that's when the dangers start. The tide can be so rapid on coming in on either side of you. the net thing is.....You are trapped. So be very careful at all times, not just at Sandaway Beach, but at any beach in the UK.

“We were lucky that we had a caravan with a lovely view...”

Written on: 16/01/2010

We were lucky that we had a caravan with a lovely view of the Bristol Channel. The site maintenance staff were very friendly and helpful. The food served in the bar area was very basic. The entertainers seemed bored - end of the season I suppose. One thing stuck in my gullet though . . . . CHECK YOUR CHANGE AT THE BAR!!!… Read Full Review

Written on: 01/06/2013

Hi'
I note you didn't leave your first name.
Anyway, glad to hear you had a lovely caravan to stay in at Sandaway Beach holiday Park, Coombe Martin, which I rate as a very good holiday park. All the staff are very welcoming, friendly and helpful.

They have a good clubhouse which a little small, but is designed to accommodate the number of residents on site. The bar serves a good quality and variety of alcoholic and soft drinks at reasonable prices; no ore than what you would expect to pay at your home town.

As for checking your change at the bar, I think that we should all do that wherever we are at home or away. However, I don't believe that you should place more emphasis on checking it at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park, because I have never had any reason to suspect that the staff are anything other than honest, and good at counting. Besides the tills nowadays work out and display the change due from the amount tendered.

You are fortunate that you got change. You want to visit the some of the bars abroad, and in particular at the Hotel Garda, Golden Sands, Bulgaria. You have a good view across the Black Sea there, but as for change at the bar.....Nobody gets any, it ends up in the barman's pocket.

“Having searched many booklets for a nice october break...”

Written on: 20/10/2009 by dasue3 (1 review written)

Having searched many booklets for a nice october break we came across John Fowler holiday park booklet, all looked very nice and welcoming on paper so we decided to book a week at the Ilfracoombe park... WELL we have just returned 5 days early from our weeks holiday, IT WAS DISCUSTING and i really could not stay another day or night!!!.We booked a chalet with breath taking sea views, the book said these chalets were also high standard, upon entry to the park it seemed very nice, nice pool and a… Read Full Review

The Martins's Response to dasue3's Review

Written on: 16/07/2010

It's a shame this was such a bad experience for this family.If you are reading this please do not let it put you off going here as it really is a lovely clean park with breath taking sea views, friendly staff who when we needed them to look at our gas grill as it was not burning very well came within minutes of asking. (last year we went to a different place in a chalet the same as this family, our chalet too was damp and smelly but clean, we still had a nice time though) So you know what to do......ask NOT to be put in a chalet.

“We stayed at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park during the...”

Written on: 18/04/2009 by Pebbles35 (1 review written)

We stayed at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park during the easter break, caravan very clean and tidy cant complain about that, site is small and quiet, has an outdoor pool which is heated, so kids did manage to go in they also have a small amusement are, with few arcade machines in and a small soft play area for little ones. In the main club which is also quite small they do pub meals and there own entertainment, also a shop on site but dont really stock a lot just basics really. The roads to site… Read Full Review

Johnwataboy's Response to Pebbles35's Review

Hi,

Yes, John Fowler Holiday Park Sandaway Beach, is a very good Park to visit. It improves every year and has become quite popular for those liking more of a quiet holiday than at other sites. It is smaller than many of the others. All of the on sight shops at the holiday sites are there for a convenience - such as the usual daily needs...bread, butter, milk, newspaper etcetera.ie., if your strictly adhering to self catering. Otherwise there are plenty of restaurants and cafes to choose from in the nearby village of Coombe Martin, or Ilfracombe.

As for the drive into or out of Coombe Martin, then it is quite a good drive through the country lanes....and that is what I call a good drive; not dual carriageways and motorways which can be so robotic and boring.