Nikon F100 Reviews

• Photograph Quality

Nikon F100 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Nikon F100

“Film Star !”

Written on: 14/03/2012 by charlieT (5 reviews written)

I picked up a used F100 last year, it is in excellent condition and has been a joy to use so far. The model I have has the weaker film winding fork which may break at some point I have read, but so far ok. All the exposures I have made have been good to excellent on film and slide. Using manual focus lenses is easy, exposure and focus conformation have been consistently accurate. I also use an MC-31 cord via USB connected to Softalk 2000 software, to read film data from the F100 memory, thus… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“The Nikon F-100 probably still is the most allround...”

Written on: 31/01/2010

The Nikon F-100 probably still is the most allround camera
on the market. Even in Full-auto or Semi-Auto modes, the pictures are excellently exposed.

For me the biggest feature is the compatibility with non-autofocus lenses.
When set to Aperture-Priority the camera can still auto expose. Even if the lens it self doesn't have any electronics. This makes that a lot of great cheap used lenses become available for use… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“this is ultimate dream photo machine for photgraphers...”

Written on: 12/04/2003 by dr pradeep kumawat. (1 review written)

this is ultimate dream photo machine for photgraphers excellent for nature and potrait with 80-200 lense relible with 28-105 and brilliant sensing of moving object with even normal lense… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“First, this is quite an expensive camera when...”

Written on: 24/11/2002 by Garland. (1 review written)

First, this is quite an expensive camera when considered against the features you get. Both Canon and Minolta offer much less expensive models with vastly superior feature sets. Ostensibly, the greatest reason for any serious amateur to invest in any Nikon SLR body, all of which have serious shortcomings-particularly this pricey F100-is to gain access to the vast range of Nikkor lenses which have a superior reputation for fine optical performance. However, having experienced an array of… Read Full Review

Teng3's Response to 53146_Garland.'s Review

Written on: 19/10/2003

umm, if you don't consider an excess of 1/2000 shutter speeds and 4.5fps shooting to be important, you're a very confused photographer. Firstly, you are either shooting indoor still life for fun, or you're smoking crack. Secondly, if you aren't looking for a camera with professional specs, you should never have looked to the F100 to begin with. Try an "N" series SLR, they lack all you don't want anyway. Pro's such as photojournalists and sports journalists will appreciate the versatillity of the F100. Perhaps not every shot runs at 1/8000, but isn't it nice to know you can if you need to? Racing fans will appreciate the ability to stop motion of an F-1 car moving at 230mph. The "F" series has always been known as the professional series of cameras by nikon and they therefore come with professional level specs. Look elsewhere if you want mere mortal specs that even prosumer SLR's achieve but don't tell everyone it does too much and therefore costs more. Thats why you have so many disagreeing and unhelpful ratings.

Rob Valine's Response to 53146_Garland.'s Review

Written on: 16/03/2007

I have both the Contax Aria and the Nikon F100. This is the way I see it. Different tools for different situations. The Contax equipment is beautiful high quality stuff. Great for weddings and Fine Art stuff where you have time to focus. Images are outstanding. My reason for buying a Nikon F100 after shooting with Contax for 7 years is simple. There are some things where you simply need a high speed motor drive and auto focus. Such as shooting wildlife where you may only have a second or two to get the shot. Compare 3 frames a second with the Aria to 5 frames a second with the F100. I recently shot a hawk with the Aria firing full blast at 3 frames a second through a 500 mm lens. I got 4 shots before the hawk was gone. It's simply not fast enough for this type of work.

Nikon F100

“I have three Nikon bodies - a 8008S, a N90s and now an...”

Written on: 22/10/2002 by Dan. (1 review written)

I have three Nikon bodies - a 8008S, a N90s and now an F100, which is by far the best. It feels very solid (I would not hesitate to use it as a hammer) and fits perfectly in my hand. Most slides were exposed dead on and were very sharp - the body and lenses are perfectly aligned. Combined with a 80-400 Nikon VR is just right for body building, but hey in this day and age we need all the exercise we can get. It never let me down, it just ignores freezing cold and sweltering heat and the… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“I traded in my F801 against a Nikon F100 35mm SLR...”

Written on: 30/09/2002 by Tom. (1 review written)

I traded in my F801 against a Nikon F100 35mm SLR camera just a few months after the newer camera came out. It has never let me down and I have got better results from it than any of my other cameras. It is a fine camera ... but

I have never found any use for the selectable focus area. I have it permanently locked on the centre sensor.

Despite the F100's improvements there is nothing that I do with it that I could not accomplish with my old F801 almost as easily. In fact I prefer my… Read Full Review

46031_John Ford.'s Response to 40680_Tom.'s Review

Written on: 24/10/2002

Good review. Makes a change from the usual rubbish.

I too am very pleased with my F100 my wife treated me to a 24-80 ED nikkor which has made my pics so much brighter and noticeably more vibrant.

The lack of "mirror lock-up" has never worried me as I don't take pictures that require a scientific level of approach. Most modern professional cameras are made so well that they don't require it. Certainly not the type of photography I deal with.

Really good comments. Thanks for the reveiw.

331399_Debk3's Response to 40680_Tom.'s Review

Written on: 16/12/2007

I am looking for the best Nikon film SLR for my needs and knowing the F80 is lighter weight is useful.

Nikon F100

“No doubt! The first time I used the Nikon F100 35mm...”

Written on: 08/06/2002 by GMAX. (1 review written)

No doubt! The first time I used the Nikon F100 35mm SLR camera camera was on a paid wedding event, no testing nor practice to know all the features & controls. It didn't let me down, the pictures turned out great no comment.......Customer is so happy.
I did use it with SB-80DX and a MB-15 - worth the money you buy for. Camera is definitely an answer...no comment… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“I HAVE USED BOTH CANON AND NIKON CAMERAS .. I LIKE THE...”

Written on: 01/01/2002 by HERONMAN. (1 review written)

I HAVE USED BOTH CANON AND NIKON CAMERAS .. I LIKE THE NIKON CAMERAS BETTER, BUT WISH THEY HAD MORE "VR" LENSES LIKE CANON.. THE F-100 IS A TOP NOTCH CAMERA AND IT HAS A METER SYSTEM THAT HAS NOT TAKEN A BAD PICTURE. I NOW USE THE F-100 AND A N-80 AS A BACK UP FOR ALL MY SHOOTING… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“The Nikon F100 is a great camera. It is built very...”

Written on: 14/11/2001 by Georges Pelpel. (1 review written)

The Nikon F100 is a great camera. It is built very solid, has a great set of features and an outstanding user interface.
I also own a nikon F5 and like the F100 almost as much. When I travel or backpack I take the F100 because it's much lighter.
I would recommend the Nikon F100 to any photographer and especially to advanced hobbyists.
Nikon has constantly provided consumers and professionals with cameras that last for years and preserve their value like any other camera, the F100 is no… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“A camera with a fine design and well placed commands....”

Written on: 13/07/2001 by Paolo Denti. (1 review written)

A camera with a fine design and well placed commands. However, it does not encompass significant advances beyond F801s and F90x. Metallic alloys employed seems too sensitive to humidity. As a consequence, the knob to unlock lenses may glide irregularly. Priced too high… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“This is a great camera with all the features one...”

Written on: 24/05/2001 by Panos. (1 review written)

This is a great camera with all the features one expects from a professional camera in a relatively small size. Build to last for ever… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“I have now used this camera now for a few months and...”

Written on: 17/04/2001 by Simon Clark. (1 review written)

I have now used this camera now for a few months and can only say that it is a terrific bit of kit. I still can't believe I've managed to own one.

The controls are so well laid out it is a joy to use. One never has to take ones eye away from the finder to change settings such as exposure mode, shutter speed, aperture control etc. I find the camera quiet with a really smooth winder. Even without the add on drive you get 4.5 fps which is enough for me.

In effect it combines the build quality… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“The F100 was a step up from N70 for me and I never...”

Written on: 01/10/2000 by R. Briggaman. (1 review written)

The F100 was a step up from N70 for me and I never looked back as I have with other pricey decisions in my life. With the 70, even after a few months I often needed to stop and think about mechenical adjustments, e.g. aptr pri. to manual, continuous to single focus, etc. On more than one occasion, by the time adjustments were made, the photo opportunity had passed. On the 100, all functions are easy to learn, function controls are well positioned, and I spend more time thinking about… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“A complex, professional camera. I bought my first...”

Written on: 29/04/2000 by Fred Alexander. (1 review written)

A complex, professional camera. I bought my first Nikon FTn 31 years ago. While I can use the F-100 much like that superb manual camera, it wasn't created for someone who'll be satisfied with manual technology.

It requires study. And if you buy the SB-28 flash to make the most of flash/camera capabilities, you'll need to study the flash too, IMHO.

I am very, very pleased with the F-100. If I didn't need its ruggedness, I think the N-80 would be fine for me.

If the object is the image… Read Full Review

Nikon F100

“The camera to own if you are a serious photographer....”

Written on: 27/04/2000 by Georges Pelpel. (1 review written)

The camera to own if you are a serious photographer. Fits perfectly in the hand, all commands very well positionned. Superb AF and metering. I have used many bodies and this is my favorite… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Nikon F100

“If you want a fancy camera, N80 will fit your need. If...”

Written on: 27/04/2000 by CyberPOP. (1 review written)

If you want a fancy camera, N80 will fit your need. If you want a good well-built camera, go for FM2N (for Nikon fan) or other brands. You pay 1,300 for F100 just for the "LOOK" and "WEIGHT". If you buy MB-15, the price is close to F5. But wait! F5 does come with RGB metering, MLU, faster film advanced, better built, manual rewind (can leave film leader out). Nikon just wants to make money from this camera, not the customer satisfaction. But it works. After I had been Nikon user for 18 years… Read Full Review

1773_Graham Middleton.'s Response to 157_CyberPOP.'s Review

Written on: 21/04/2001

I would personally interpret 0 out of 10 as meaning the camera is very unreliable and very poorly made out of bad materials. I have several Nikons and would recommend all Nikon products as being very well made, reliable, consistent and robust. I agree with the review but disagree with 0/10.

Coodeville.'s Response to 157_CyberPOP.'s Review

Written on: 15/12/2002

You must be a manual slr fan! That's fine by me. I also shoot an RZ too so I know all about the medium and manual advantage. But I can't agree with your review. My F100 is a great tool. The exposure is dead on and the autofocus is incredible. I've got shots that were never possible with other cameras. The only problem I ever had with the camera was the veiwfinder lens coming off along with the 10 PIN connector cover.

51677_Obladi Oblada.'s Response to 157_CyberPOP.'s Review

Written on: 18/11/2002

Oops... based on the uproar in these comments you'd think Nikon's sacred cow was neatly slaughtered. He certainly got your attention though didn't he?! And he makes some fair points. I've used a friends F100 and it's definitely overpriced with a couple key features purposely omitted from the body. However, the '0' rating was uncalled for.

49117_Jazbear.'s Response to 157_CyberPOP.'s Review

Written on: 07/11/2002

What a waste of time and effort making up a review such as this. The idea of the review centre is to share both negative and positive comments in an honest and constructive way so that others can be helped by others experiences.
I doubt if this person actually owns an F100. I have several cameras and would consider myself a pro/am. As a result would like to think that I have used most cameras, therefore can state that this person is a fool and has some personal gripe against Nikon.

Review centre should not allow this type of review to be published as it is both uninformative, misguided and stupid.

4514_Nokiaexpert.'s Response to 157_CyberPOP.'s Review

Written on: 27/09/2002

<br> I have to disagree. No significant improvements over the N90 or N90s? Geez, do I really have to list the stuff this guy overlooked? I think I will, but only a few:
<br>1) The analog light meter registers from -2.5 to
<br> +2.5 (from -3 to +3 with custom function).
<br> The N90 only goes from -1 to +1.
<br>2) Built in exposure bracketing. The N90 has
<br> this feature, but you need the muti-back to
<br> use it.
<br>
<br>3) The use of a Cam 1300 autofocus module.
<br> Blows AF of the N90 away...faster, and so much
<br> quieter.
<br>
There's a reason the N90 and N90s was discontinued...it's obsolete nowadays.

32720_Carl.'s Response to 157_CyberPOP.'s Review

Written on: 11/08/2002

This review is pretty bad. The F100 is a great camera. Sure, the F5 has a few more things (weight, notably). But it is a good build, and has mostly all you really need. Also have two F80's which are great too. Never really had problems with Nikon. A rating of 0 is quite a bad joke. You need a life man.

Jalle.'s Response to 157_CyberPOP.'s Review

Written on: 31/05/2002

You have probably dropped some screw somewhere or had had a very bad day. :)
<br>Kindly Jalle www.jalle.nu
<br>A a professional photographer Nikon user and since 30 years.

5820_Georges Pelpel.'s Response to 157_CyberPOP.'s Review

Written on: 14/11/2001

Absolute nonsense.
<br>The F100 is a great camera. It is built very solid, has a great set of features and an outstanding user interface.
<br>I also own an F5 and like the F100 almost as much. When I travel or backpack I take the F100 because it's much lighter.
<br>I would recommend the nikon F100 to any photographer and especially to advanced hobbyists.
<br>Nikon has constantly provided consumers and professionals with camera that last for years and preserve their value like any other camera, the F100 is no different.

2047_E.kasaci.'s Response to 157_CyberPOP.'s Review

Written on: 07/05/2001

Its absolutely nonsense to rate a camera like F-100 with a "0" grading....
<br>
<br>Nothing worth talking about the rest of the remarks...

Nikon F100

“Nikon robbed me last November when I was seduced to...”

Written on: 14/03/2000 by Stephen Williams. (1 review written)

Nikon robbed me last November when I was seduced to buy this camera. However, I love it. Why does it cost so much though ?… Read Full Review