Dell Inspiron 5100 Reviews

• Battery Life

Dell Inspiron 5100 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Dell Inspiron 5100

Dell Inspiron 5100

“We are a repair shop that have 4 5100 series Dell...”

Written on: 29/05/2010 by kennyhendrick (1 review written)

We are a repair shop that have 4 5100 series Dell laptops sitting around here. Uncanny that all four of them (and we've seen more of them go through here) all with exactly the same problem...freezing up.

Of course we've tried all the remedies; changed ram, cleaned out the fan/heatsinks, set atop a 3-fan cooler, swapped processors, etc.

People, educate your kids. These corporations are not your friends and little in the line of ethics over profits.

Any one of us (or our now-educated… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“As i just got this laptop for free last night for...”

Written on: 07/11/2009 by illuminus (1 review written)

As i just got this laptop for free last night for doing networking work for friends, they gave me their old laptop, so i was happy to take it as i haven't ever owned one, so it is bulky, but oh well, im going to get another battery second hand that is in excellent condition off ebay as this laptop has been sitting around for ages.

It came with a d link wirelss g card for the PCMCIA slot but part of the cover part is off, so the pcb board is exposed, anyway im thinking of just getting a mini… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“The Dell Inspiron 5100 was given to me by an elderly...”

Written on: 14/05/2009 by alexezeoke (1 review written)

The Dell Inspiron 5100 was given to me by an elderly lady as she got a new later model laptop. I upgraded the RAM from 256MB to 1GB which is the max imum it can take. It didn't come with a WiFi module(been looking for one though) but it works fine with a USB one. The battery life is great for a 4yrs + equipment. Looking to upgrade the HDD from 30GB to 120GB(have found a compatible one by Western).The screen is ok(no problems). The fan cuts in and out wellThe only bad thing is that it has cracks… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“Is there anyone who had similar problems with the...”

Written on: 07/03/2008 by californyaeh (1 review written)

Is there anyone who had similar problems with the screen ; turning on but the inverter isn't working , i can see the logging screens "windows xp", but the screen is extremely darkened .
Also I tried to access settings through BIOS but it seems most parameters can't be changed, one of the problem I had with wireless was it was switched off in BIOS, I got it working now... but for how long and if it happens again how can I solve once and for all the problem.. anyone for an idea please comment… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“It does, at least, work. You have to keep it up on...”

Written on: 07/02/2008

It does, at least, work. You have to keep it up on blocks (for airflow) and forget about going anywhere with it as it overheats before the battery life is even an issue... keep it at home, don't recommend this dell inspiron laptop… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“Personally, I'm in a love/hate relationship with this...”

Written on: 28/12/2007 by minuekitty (1 review written)

Personally, I'm in a love/hate relationship with this thing. usually love wins. I can run a gamut of programs on it at the same time doing memory-eating activities (firefox, winamp, trillian, photoshop, painter) with no problems with them working or bogging down my machine. However, it will make the inspiron overheat if you don't keep your fans cleaned. I also had to get a usb fan thing by targus to assist my fan. speedfan is also running my fan on 100% most of the time.

If you can't keep up… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“Excellent computer when it works.”

Written on: 08/03/2007 by negativeEclipse (1 review written)

Excellent computer when it works… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“I bought the Dell Inspiron 5100 with a 4 year next-day...”

Written on: 06/01/2005 by aeroturbo (6 reviews written)

I bought the Dell Inspiron 5100 with a 4 year next-day fix-or-replace guarantee, with XGA screen, WinXP Home, 60GB 5400rpm HDD, 512MB RAM, CD/DVD-RW, all for £1100. It was delivered in 2 days. It's never given the slightest problem except for a software one which the Dell helpline were still good in helping me solve. I then ordered a second power supply (to leave at work) for a mere £24, a larger battery for £50 (one for my previous Sony was £200!) (which now gives me an average battery life of… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“The sales office is appalling. ”

Written on: 17/10/2004 by Dai bike (2 reviews written)

The sales office is appalling.
I wished to change the spec 1 day after purchasing, and was advised that this would be OK. Guess what, 1 week later then advised "too late". Sales office will repeatedly promise evening delivery, free upgrades etc then will be unavailable due to poor health. Call centre supervisors are unavailable due to ill health.
Delivery will be advised as evening delivery by a carrier that does not do evening deliveries. e-mails will be 'read' but never ever replied to… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“My specs and price were great: P4 2.66, 512MB ram,...”

Written on: 10/10/2004 by jesseq (1 review written)

My specs and price were great: P4 2.66, 512MB ram, 60gb hd, 32MB raedon videocard, SXGA screen, CDRW/DVDROM for less than $1500 American.

My computer was great for about 4 to 5 months, then it would get really hot and shut off with no warning even doing processes of just moderate processor intensity such as web browsing. I intitially fixed the problem my raising the computer on two books so the fan could get more air. That worked for a while, but I still noticed a huge decrease in… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“Purchased the 5100 in October 2003. Very soon after it...”

Written on: 17/07/2004 by tigga (1 review written)

Purchased the 5100 in October 2003. Very soon after it started to switch off in a random way. Had it checked for viruses, but it was OK. Found it worked better if raised on a couple of books or videos. Phoned Dell who did a test and found nothing wrong, suggested I continue using the book raising system. By April it was getting worse, phoned Dell several times, but India seemed to have problems. The speaker socket had broken by this point too. In May tried again. Dell agreed that the problems… Read Full Review

Garryguce's Response to 162611_tigga's Review

Written on: 10/09/2004

I had the same sudden turn-off thing but it was occasional that I didn't have to use the book raise maneuver. Yup, I agree there's a flaw in the design especially the fan location which causes the unit to be very hot over extended use the same also with the power adaptor but over all, the unit is fine and the best part of it all is that I really got what I paid for and even exceeded my expectations in terms of performance

Dell Inspiron 5100

“We bought a couple of these Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptops...”

Written on: 02/05/2004 by dominicparker (1 review written)

We bought a couple of these Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptops for the office. They have been an unmitigated disaster. The screen (well actually the video card that came with them) is absolutely hopeless. For example on this screen I cannot see (unless I tilt the screen to 120 degrees) that there is white and blue on it! They might be OK for home and short time use but undeniably hopeless for work. Apparently you can't upgrade the memory card!… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“My Dell Inspiron 5100 is a very good and fast Laptop....”

Written on: 17/02/2004 by bronsongun (3 reviews written)

My Dell Inspiron 5100 is a very good and fast Laptop. Mine came with 512MB,60GB ultra ATA hard drive,32MB ATI Mobility,15.1'' XGA 2.66GHz-p4, CD/DVD/CDRW combo,3years warranty and much more.I spent $1,800 for the Inspiron 5100 laptop it was worth it for a good laptop.if you want to get a laptop for all your needs get your self one like mine.you might get it for cheaper but mine is customize.this is a fast laptop for the right money and good QUALITY… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“I have yet to receive the Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop...”

Written on: 30/10/2003 by JohnRemotsuc (1 review written)

I have yet to receive the Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop that I ordered and will be pursuing a full refund because I am extremely disappointed with the miscommunication of delivery dates between dELL UK, its courier, its call centre based in India. A delivery guy actually turned up one night without the laptop saying he had no clue where it was. I've had a horrific experience discussing this with their customer care team too. They didn't even bother replying to any of the complaints I logged with… Read Full Review

B Darlington's Response to JohnRemotsuc's Review

Written on: 09/02/2004

I am thinking of buying a Inspiron 5100
<br>but being put off by the comments on bad
<br>delivery. Has it improved ??

Gurustip's Response to JohnRemotsuc's Review

Written on: 10/10/2004

Oh dear...
<br> I just placed an order for a new Inspiron 1000, which looked like a fantastic deal on the website.
<br> When entering my invoice address I made a small error and try as I may, couldn't find a way to rectify it. Calls to the centre were met with ignorance and they don't even open at the weekend!! What is the point of a call centre you can't actually use when you have the time to?
<br> I didn't realise the call centre was based in India, but that explains why I couldn't understand a word they were saying, nor they I.
<br> If and when it arrives, it'll be a good day!

152110_Coco's Response to JohnRemotsuc's Review

Written on: 19/04/2004

oh well, I did read your comment but still bought it from Dell outlet. The specs were enough to convince me and it was at a rebate and free delivery. Now now, nothing comes free except trouble. Should have had the laptop last Friday and missed it because they failed to call me for the delivery time arranged. Dell says that the carrier calls you before arranging delivery but clearly not the case. Now they are saying only certain carriers call you. Missed delivery today (Monday) because there is no (!) delivery on Saturdays. This stuff is from fiction. I can't even go and collect from carrier depot because they won't allow it unless authorized by Dell (who won't do so). Lucky I have a sense of humour. That customer service centre in India is definitely not a help in this case.

148126_Magd0095's Response to JohnRemotsuc's Review

Written on: 17/03/2004

I placed an order for a dimension desktop on 12 March.

Greannmhar's Response to JohnRemotsuc's Review

Written on: 01/03/2004

Update on my last comment - I have now cancelled my order with Dell. I will have to wait at least 5-7 days for a refund but my credit card company will refund the money 30 days after it was removed from my account if Dell don\'t do so.
<br>This is an online buying experience I wouldn\'t care to repeat. I even tried faxing the Dell head office in Bray - all they did was forward my complaint to the call centre. In the end, the call centre guy (in India) tried to persuade me to wait another week, with no guarantees even then. He claimed a parts shortage but had no idea when it would be resolved. Full of apologies and very polite, but no progress and no laptop within sight.
<br>I\'ll be buying at my local computer store - Dell take note, you\'ve lost my custom forever.

Greannmhar's Response to JohnRemotsuc's Review

Written on: 28/02/2004

I wish I\'d read this review before ordering from Dell - I am still waiting for my Dell Inspiron (ordered on 14/2 and money debited on 17th ) and the order watch site keeps moving the estimated delivery date back a day at a time. Emails to India get nonsense replies and phonecalls (when I can get through) are full of useless promises.
<br>I have given them another few days and then I am going to contact my credit card account to cancel, if I can.
<br>I will buy at my local computer shop next time and recommend anyone else to do the same.

Dell Inspiron 5100

“My Dell Inspiron 5100 came with 512 MB ram, 40 GB hard...”

Written on: 09/10/2003 by robynj2 (1 review written)

My Dell Inspiron 5100 came with 512 MB ram, 40 GB hard drive, CD/DVD/CDRW combo, 2 year warantee including EVERYTHING, and an awesome EPSON printer/copier/scanner all for just over $1800!! Not to mention it has wireless capabilities built in so I can be wireless from school and other hot spots!! I love this Dell!!… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“Overall I like the machine but I had problems with...”

Written on: 04/10/2003 by njbyrne1 (1 review written)

Overall I like the machine but I had problems with recognizing USB storage devices(mp3 player/camera) which seems to be a common problem (see url below)and the sound is sub standard, even when I hook it up to my hifi. Not a bad machine but overall not value for money.

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_periph&message.id=4051&view=by_date_ascending&page=2… Read Full Review

Dell Inspiron 5100

“My dell inspiron 5100 came with 512 Mb DDR ram, 40 Gb...”

Written on: 04/08/2003 by Nate4s (1 review written)

My dell inspiron 5100 came with 512 Mb DDR ram, 40 Gb Harddrive, 32 Mb video ram, pentium 4 2.4 GHz processor, and a dvd/cd-rw drive. It cost $1292.35 including shipping and tax. it also cam with a 2 year warranty(in home service included).

In my opinion this is the best deal ever! Dell sells great products at even greater prices. If i were you, i would definitly buy one(or two)… Read Full Review