Island Cruises, Island Escape Reviews

Media Gallery for Island Cruises, Island Escape

Island Cruises, Island Escape
Island Cruises, Island Escape

“island escape”

Written on: 18/06/2014 by johnson558 (1 review written)

second time on this ferry 2012 and june 2014.ship has gone down hill poor food choice same most days,lifts not working,stairs cordened off account blocked due do authorisation errors and will be well out of pocket for up to 10 days.this happend to approx 120 cabins. they did not let us know until last day when they knew by day two.i would not recommend this company to my worst enemy… Read Full Review

“Great holiday”

Written on: 16/09/2013

First time being on a cruise and loved it,entertainment was great along with the food and drinks,staff very friendly and bubbly. Didn't even feel like I was on a boat,no rough sea. Cabin was abit cramped but was exceptionally clean and tidy. The ports were fantastic,great views and lovely to visit,one thing I would say as a disadvantage is that the pool was quite small.The island restaurant was my favourite,the beachcomber is also very good and open 24/7,on the boat there is also a gym and spa… Read Full Review

“First time cruising, was a bit disappointed on...”

Written on: 11/08/2013

First time cruising, was a bit disappointed on arrival. Decor is very dated and tired. Paid extra to have a premium room which I would recommend as other people said normal size ones where tiny. Good point was the staff, all were absolutely fab, really friendly and polite. I suppose you get what you pay for. Would try cruising again but not on this ship… Read Full Review

“Best holiday ever”

Written on: 07/08/2013 by Angwillcruiseagain (1 review written)

This was the best holiday I have ever been on. The itinerary was great, we did the organised trip to Rome and Sorrento-Pompa because we were to worried to go in on our own, yes they where a bit expensive but they where well organised and we really enjoyed them, got of in Corsica and Menorca- straight of the boat and into lovely ports. The ship was constantly being cleaned, and so was the food areas. The food was lovely and lots of variety every day. My 14 year old daughter who normally cant… Read Full Review

“fab holiday”

Written on: 22/07/2013 by ANNIVERSARY (1 review written)

We sailed on the Island Escape on the 2ndJuly 2013 for one week. This was our best holiday ever. The ship was being cleaned all the time. Food was great and plenty to choose from. Staff were fabulous. Our cabin was cleaned twice a day by a very pleasant and helpful cabin steward named Flaviano. We had our breakfast and lunch in the beachcombers restaurant as you could pop in here anytime that suited us. We had our dinner in the Island restaurant and was served by a very helpful and pleasant… Read Full Review

“DONT LISTEN TO THE SNOBS”

Written on: 17/07/2013

Went on the Island Escape w/c 09/07/13 for 1week. Did not hear one person complain about food,drinks or anything. I was on this ship 3 years ago and was very surprised at reading some recent reviews and was a bit apprehensive as my mother is a very fussy eater. Breakfast was amazing never went for lunch as at 4pm they serve lovely sandwiches and the dinners were also varied and plentiful. I have been on other ships and yes they offer more selections but for the layout of the ship they do… Read Full Review

Atseahaha's Comment

Written on: 28/07/2013

Having just read your review I would like to respond . My wife and I were on this ship 21/5/13 to 4/6/13 this being our third time and I would not consider myself to be a snob I am a working class person. I totally agree that the entertainment was first class, but unfortunately the food was not warm, people did not always use the hand sanitizer and there was a lot of norovirus about some people very sick and a lot of couples with one person not well and the other doing things on their own. The cabin stewards do a fantastic job but some work is needed in the cabin area especially the toilet, cracked perspex in the shower,shower head split and leaking,soap dish that badly tarnished it could never look clean. If you had been on the ship this fortnight I think you're review would have read totally different,I am glad you had a nice time.

“We were on the cruise to celebrate our 40th...”

Written on: 05/07/2013 by suenpaul (1 review written)

We were on the cruise to celebrate our 40th Anniversary. We certainly won't forget it. 'Tired' looking ship that needs to be taken off Thomson cruise ship list. On the Friday when the ship 'tilted' we were in our cabin, I was thrown off the bed along with the mattress and my husband who had just come out of the shower was flung backwards towards the cabin door. We were both numb with shock and just expected the ship to be on its side in the water. Our concern was that after this event, at… Read Full Review

“disappointed but excursions were good”

Written on: 02/07/2013

I went on holiday from the 25th of June to the 2nd of July on the Island Escape with my partner. I was disappointed when first entering the cruise ship, it was dated and looked dirty. We headed to the cabin to freshen up before heading around Palma, the cabins were basic but very clean. The aircon was very noisy but it kept us very cool, the housekeeping staff were really helpful, and made sure we were okay after our day of being seasick, we got along great with our cabin stewardess who was… Read Full Review

“nightmare cruise”

Written on: 20/06/2013

were do i start, just got back 18th june 2013, food cold and served on plastic picnic plates, entertainment not bad, but theatre lounge not big enough to cater for 1500 passengers, even in two sittings. cabins scruffy and well worn, beds no more than camp beds. sun beds, if you didn't put a towel on one by 8 am then you had no chance of getting one all day,staff did not seem interested in what was going on.one day we had to purchase a ticket for a shuttle bus to the shops it was complete chaos… Read Full Review

“Horror on the ferry”

Written on: 05/06/2013 by Tazbunny (1 review written)

First I would like to say Thompson and Island cruises have no right to call the boat a cruise ship. It is a converted car ferry and needs to be scrapped. We were on there on the 21st May for a weeks cruise and a week stay. When we left Palma we had rough seas that night and all the next day, the sick bags were out and being used a lot. That Friday evening 24th May is one I will never forgot. The Captain should never have left port that night we were in a force 12 gale and the seas were… Read Full Review

Andi1945's Response to Tazbunny's Review

Written on: 05/06/2013

I was on this cruise with my friend and it was a nightmare when the captain made that sharp turn and the boat listed I was thrown about my cabin on deck 6. I have severe arthritis and the way I was thrown exacerbated my condition. To make matters worse . I contracted the Noro Virus and was confined to my cabin with my friend. I will be speaking to a lawyer about what happened.I also think we should stick together so I am giving you my email address andrinathomson@sky.com and you have my permission to use my name. I will let you all know how I get on with my lawyer. Good luck

Tazbunny's reply to Andi1945's Comment

Nev1962's reply to Andi1945's Comment

Written on: 07/06/2013

This was our 1st ever cruise .
Nobody can control the weather but the decision to set sail in such appaling weather was questionable indeed . The only reason i can think off was it was purely economical not wanting to pay berthing fees for the night.
My wife and i were in the Ocean Theatre went the "incident " occured.
There were tables ,chairs and people thrown all over the place , one actually landed on my wife. I too believe the initial response was lacking in urgency. My email is njc2012@me.com for anyone wishing to carry the fight towards Thompson's

Ratbag508's reply to Andi1945's Comment

Written on: 09/06/2013

i to was on this ship (ferry)and it was awful we were on deck 10 when it happened and all i could see was the ship going side ways it was frightening and we were hanging on to a table for dear life so we wouldnt fall i then saw a lady in her chair go right across the deck it was not nice at all then on the monday i caught the novo virus we was going home the next day i dont know how i got home but i did i was not going to stay on that ship another day it was a awful holiday and now i feel as though we have been cheated on having a nice holiday never go back on the island escape again let me know how you get on with your lawyers and then we got a 100 pound pp for next holiday with thomson thats before we put a complaint in which we will be doing

Andi1945's reply to Ratbag508's Comment

Written on: 09/06/2013

I have contacted a lawyer and am waiting on him getting back. To me I will let you all know what he says. I have printed out all the comments on the review forum and hopefully these will help. I think you all should print them off for future reference Take care everybody

Zandie1's Response to Tazbunny's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

Hi I have just received an email from Thomson telling me that the after travel team are now dealing with complaints and the 28 day limit to deal with complaints have been extended to 36 days because they are so busy

Chrissyb5's reply to Zandie1's Comment

Written on: 06/07/2013

Hi I was also on this cruise. I agree with every other comment posted I have also not got very far with Thomson in fact the letter I received from them was very condescending. Have any of you had any joy regarding the lawyers.i would be very happy to add my details and join forces.

Zandie1's reply to Chrissyb5's Comment

Written on: 09/07/2013

I still haven't got any further with my complaint. Firstly they said I would hear within 28 days, then they said it would be 36 days because they had so many complaints to deal with. Its now 39 days and I have now spoken to the after travel team, who told me they have not received a complaint off me. I kept copies of emails I sent and have now sent them off to them, and it will now take another 28 days. They also said they offered me £100 off the next holiday and I said that was a total insult and will not accept it. I will not give up, no matter how long it takes, they do not suspend the captain of the ship for nothing!!!

Zandie1's Response to Tazbunny's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

Agree 100% with this report It was a holiday from hell and Thomsons dont want to know about it

Hazelsnats's Response to Tazbunny's Review

Written on: 19/06/2013

I was on board this ship too on that dreadful night and I would be very interested in finding out how you got on with your solicitor on the tramatic incident my email address is vindel@eircom.net thanks

Zandie1's reply to Hazelsnats's Comment

Written on: 27/06/2013

Me to I cant get anywhere with Thomson they wont acknowledge any correspondence I've made since the insulting £100 of the next holiday with them.my email is s.woodford@talktalk.net

Sheila31's Response to Tazbunny's Review

Written on: 13/06/2013

I think Thomson have admitted fault by offering us £100 off our next holiday, if they are innocent why offer money back, I think there should be a full inquiry, and am I right in saying another captain replaced the one on the ship at the end of this cruise

Andi1945's reply to Sheila31's Comment

Written on: 13/06/2013

I didn't hear about this but if it's true it does help our case. If anybody has more information regarding the captain's removal or not please let me know.

Andi1945's Response to Tazbunny's Review

Written on: 11/06/2013

Contact [name removed] she's no win no fee. The more people who contact her the better our chance of getting reimbursed for what was a horror cruise.

Andi1945's reply to Andi1945's Comment

Written on: 13/06/2013

The review centre will not allow me to give you the name of the lawyer that is dealing with my case hence the name removed on my messages. If you want the name of said lawyer then please email me at andrinathomson@sky.com and I will give you the details

Emmett1988's Response to Tazbunny's Review

THE GREAT ESCAPE
Lucky to be alive I have not been contacted about any discount and will certainly not be accepting 100 pound any info on how to take the fight to Thomson and how you have been advised by your solicitors would be of great help.

Tazbunny's reply to Emmett1988's Comment

Written on: 10/06/2013

E mail me mels1234@ntlworld.com I will give you legal name and number

Andi1945's reply to Emmett1988's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2013

Please contact [name removed]. She will help us.

12Sandra34's Response to Tazbunny's Review

Written on: 08/06/2013

I was also on that ship,got my feet cut with glass from the bar,totally agree with you there is no way I will be taking £100 of next Holliday

“lucky escape more like”

Written on: 04/06/2013 by lolomcman (1 review written)

I was travelling with 3 other people, from Palma on the 21st May for a week. started off bad and didn't get any better. There is many negative things I can/could say about the boat but that was all over shadowed with the boat listing to a frightening degree on the Friday 24th. I was in the bounty lounge on my own when this happened, and my husband was in his cabin sleeping. I can honestly say I didn't think I was going to see him again. I was also travelling with my mother and mother in-law… Read Full Review

Andi1945's Response to lolomcman's Review

Written on: 05/06/2013

We stayed on board but wish we had left as I ended up with the Noro Virus and I am still having problems. My email address is andrinathomson@sky.com I will b speaking to my lawyer and will keep all informed.

Belinda1964's reply to Andi1945's Comment

Written on: 18/02/2014

Can I leave my email address albeit late on in this case as I was not aware these sites existed! My case is currently with Thomson solicitors Plexus Law but nothing has been paid out as yet? I never got a solicitor myself I just dealt direct. Be interested to see if anyone else has heard anything?

Zandie1's Response to lolomcman's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

I agree Thomson are not interested in how people have been affected,I will never get the picture of that ship turning out of my mind,but are they concerned? NO!!!!!!!!!

“horror on the seas”

Written on: 02/06/2013

was on this ship 6 years ago....brill time, no complaints. cruised for a week starting 21st may 2013, how that ship has changed. it needs closed down.Lukewarm food and poor hand hygiene from some staff was noted by many passengers. vomiting and diarrhoea the entire week dominated this cruise. nobody told us what was happening with all the sickness but 12 days later some people are still very ill from the norovirus. the ship wasn't deep cleaned as we didn't leave till 16:30 and no cleaning took… Read Full Review

Written on: 04/06/2013

I agree with everything you say. I think it would be a good idea if we all swapped our details. One person is weak many are strong. What do you think. Would be I retested in your reply

Jjdob's Comment

Written on: 04/06/2013

Hi Andi I too would be happy to swap details if that would be ok with you. I have

My email is andrinathomson@sky.com

Written on: 05/06/2013

I am happy to swap details

Andybandit's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2013

We boarded the ship after you and it was horrendous,quarantined for 24hours due to norovirus after coming out of quarantine was thrown up on in the dining room by another passenger who had the virus .the dining room was not cleaned properly after... The attitude of the staff (white uniform staff) was disgusting....will never cruise again

Written on: 06/06/2013

What date did you board?

Andybandit's Comment

Written on: 09/06/2013

We boarded on the 28th may.

“Not as bad as what people say”

Written on: 02/06/2013

I have read reviews about the ship on the 24th May tilting to the side. I was also on this ship at that time and it was not as bad as what is being said. YES the boat TILTED but what would people rather. The captain steering the boat making it tilt or would people rather the boat smashing in to rocks. I agree the weather was not very good that night but other boats had previously left the port just because ours so clearly there was nothing to worry about. The all inclusive was good enough, not… Read Full Review

Written on: 04/06/2013

Sorry I can't agree with you and you didn't suffer from the Noro Virus which many passenger's including me did. I am still weak and have to be very careful what I eat. The hygiene on board was not what you would expect.

Zandie1's Comment

Written on: 27/06/2013

I totally disagree with this comment!
It was our wedding aniversary on the 24th May and I thought it would be the last.

“Island escape experience May 2013”

Written on: 02/06/2013 by Alan.P65 (1 review written)

On the 25th May I was 65, on the 24th May I thought I was not going to see it. We were sitting in the restaurant on deck 10 when the ship rocked slightly and then suddenly veered over, to see the sea rushing up towards us on one side and objects and people falling towards us was very frightening, my wife and my young sister were thrown against the windows both suffering slight bruising. The restaurant crew looked to be in shock with one officer saying he could not believe it, every thing that… Read Full Review

Andi1945's Response to Alan.P65's Review

Written on: 04/06/2013

I agree with what you experienced as I experienced the same. I have been advised to contact a lawyer especially regarding the Noro Virus. My friend is still stressed and is not sleeping well. Some people can cope but others like my friend find it over hard to be over the trauma.

Jennom's Response to Alan.P65's Review

Written on: 11/06/2013

6 of us were also on this trip, and fortunately all seated in the restaurant. We were shielded by a cupboard from most of the flying glass and crockery, but heard lots of horror stories, including that a waiter had broken an arm whilst holding up a tray. Others around had been cut by glass. We had no idea that we had the opportunity of leaving the ship, unless injured. How did people actually get home - did Thomsons help out?
Also again we were not informed re Norovirus, only wondered at way food was served, and noticed no salt/pepper containers on tables - just little sachets. 2 of us were taken ill after returning home though! Nice.
I think the ship should be retired as a cruise ship, the noise of banging and creaking at night was terrible, it sounded as though it was falling to bits.
Does anyone know if there was any official enquiry re incident at Citevecchia, and what the outcome was?
I would cruise again, but never on that ship. The best thing about it were the staff.

Lolomcman's reply to Jennom's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2013

i have been in contact now with a few people regarding this.

please contact me if you think we would benefit from a joint effort. maybe using the same solicitors.
thanks

Jennom's Response to Alan.P65's Review

Nev1962's Response to Alan.P65's Review

Written on: 07/06/2013

Exactly the questions i have asked our tour company.
I will post my email if anyone wants to get in touch over Thomson's response. njc1962@me.com

Lolomcman's Response to Alan.P65's Review

Written on: 04/06/2013

Hi I was also travelling with the island escape with my family had I am not really upset and disturbed by what happened and how we where treated.
Myself and family actually left the cruise the following day as did not feel safe or reassured.
I am so glad I have read this review and seeing someone shares the same views.
I have contacted Thomsons and was surprised at their lack of empathy. I also wasn't asked about what had happened or our personal experience which I feel is just their way of avoiding what happened.
would you be willing to swap details to see if there is something we can maybe do as a joint effort?

Tazbunny's reply to Lolomcman's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2013

I am happy to join forces

“Lucky its not killed anyone ship”

Written on: 01/06/2013

I also was unlucky enough to have been on this cruise and just feel glad i survived. Thomsons you should be ashamed and i for one will be taking legal advise !!!… Read Full Review

Written on: 04/06/2013

Good I will be doing the same and if you need corroboration then I will gladly give it

Written on: 05/06/2013

Me too let's all stick together

Written on: 06/06/2013

I have printed all these reviews and will be showing them to the lawyer. Will get back to you and tell you how I got on.

“SHOULD RENAME SHIP "LUCKY TO ESCAPE"”

Written on: 01/06/2013 by JJDOB (1 review written)

THOMPSON ISLAND ESCAPE We totally agree with everything that has already been said. On Friday 24th May we honestly felt we were going to die!! The captain took a ridiculous decision to leave the port knowing full well it was far too dangerous to do so!!! Hence nearly turning the ship over. We were in the dinning room when it happened and every plate,glass wine bottle smashed everywhere. We left the restaurant to find people being carried out, helped out and wheeled out in wheelchairs. Lots… Read Full Review

Andi1945's Response to JJDOB's Review

Written on: 04/06/2013

You experienced the same as myself and I am still not over the Noro Virus and have lost a stone in weigh and my doctor has confirmed the weight loss is due to the Noro Virus. I am definitely seeing my lawyer.

“It was a disaster”

Written on: 30/05/2013 by Andi1945 (1 review written)

The first few days were good and we enjoyed the entertainment. But on Friday 24th due to bad weather the wind blew the Italian pilot ships which were taking us out of the port of course the captain had to do a sharp turn which caused tables to be upturned pianos to go crashing across the lounge. Waiters were scalded with hot water and oil. There were many casualties and I myself was thrown from one end of my cabin to the next and received bruises. My fried was in a terrible state and no wonder… Read Full Review

Judithl's Response to Andi1945's Review

Written on: 30/05/2013

We were on that cruise and I agree with everything you say ! It was terrifying only those on board will ever know just how frightening it was ..that night the ship should never have left port ..what excuse would have been used if we had gone right over ( only a slight margin to go !) and we should have been informed earlier about the Noro virus..I believe it was on the ship when we embarked on 21st ..but we're only informed on Sun 26th th that fumigation was going to take place on 28 th in Palma !!

Lolomcman's Response to Andi1945's Review

Written on: 04/06/2013

I was also on the ship travelling with my family, one of who as cruised many times.
That was the most terrifying experience of my life!!! and when I seen a review on here earlier saying "not as bad as being made out" I was so angry.
I can only imagine it is someone who works on the ship or the "captain" himself who had written that, as I cant believe someone would be so un-sympathetic or condescending to write that when people are clearly upset.
I have contacted Thomson since leaving the ship early and it was utterly disgraceful they way the have communicated with us.
they still after 5 phone calls haven't asked what had happened or how we are dealing with things now. To which I can only think their reason for this is if they don't ask they don't need to accept responsibility!!
the only good thing I can say is LUCKILY none of us had or have taken ill with the novo virus.
I would be more than happy though to swap details with anyone in relation to the listing of the boat to see if something more can be done.
we have been told that for anyone who had left the boat early they will be offered the remain of their holiday back, pro rota, oh and a £100 voucher for thomsons!!

Jjdob's reply to Lolomcman's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2013

I too think the person who says it wasn't so bad was one of the staff, either that or they were on a different ship!!!

Jennom's reply to Lolomcman's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2013

I agree the ship should be retired as a cruise ship, the noise of banging and creaking at night was terrible, it sounded as though it was falling to bits.

Andi1945's reply to Jennom's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2013

I would love to know if there was an official enquiry and if not why not. Surely with all the radar equipment that the captain had at his disposal he would have realised we were getting to near the rocks and guided the ship away safely and not turned sharp as he did. Was he looking at his equipment. I just cannot accept that turning so quickly was his only way of dealing with this very scary incident..

Andi1945's reply to Andi1945's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2013

Hi, all, I have just spoken to [name removed] from Irwin Mitchell's accident lawyers who work on a no win no fee policy . She has been extremely helpful and told me she has had a few people who were on the Island Escape and has asked me to give out her telephone number. The more people the bigger the claim so please contact her and let's see if we can get well deserved compensation. I am sending her all the stuff I have from the review. If you don't want your review sent to her please get back to me asap.

Hazelsnats's reply to Andi1945's Comment

Written on: 19/06/2013

hi, I was also on this ship on that night and would love to find out how you are getting on with advise from lawyer. I am from Ireland and I will be putting a claim in also

Susanas's Response to Andi1945's Review

Written on: 31/05/2013

My husband and agree completely, we were with a party of 12 two of whom were tipped off their chairs during the listing of the ship. One of the worst things was that no announcement was made for about 30 mins so no one knew what was had happened. No apology was given even then and nothing said in the newspaper that was given out that night.
My husband was also meticulous about hand hygiene but he still contracted Norovirus and we were both confined to the cabin thus missing Barcelona as well. Certainly would not like to do this type of cruise again. We have cruised with P&O previously and that was fantastic.

Andi1945's reply to Susanas's Comment

Written on: 04/06/2013

I have been advised to see a lawyer. So many things happened the ship turning so sharply causing many including me to be badly bruised then to contract the Noro virus . Thomson need to be brought to book for causing so much stress to so many.

Ratbag508's Response to Andi1945's Review

Written on: 30/05/2013

yes it was a disaster and I also got the noro virus and was very ill the cleanliness of the ship wasn't up to standard and lots of people were sanityising why did we still get ill i was just glad to get off the ship and go home and glad to be alive no more island escape for me

Andi1945's reply to Ratbag508's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2013

Please contact [name removed] she is a lawyer and is interested in all thAt has happened to us. She is no win no fee so it so it won't cost you anything and it could help..

“Missing Corsica visit, Huge disappointment.”

Written on: 05/04/2013

This was our first cruise and a major reason for us booking this was that it included a visit to the Island of Corsica,which would be a chance to see somewhere not often available on other Med.cruises . Imagine therefore the huge disappointment felt by us and many of our fellow cruisers when the Captain announced on the first night, that due to a supply of contaminated fuel we would need to re-schedule the itinerary in order to refuel at Barcelona, and as a result we would not be visiting… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/05/2013

I was on the Island Escape and we had two excursions changed. Also on 24th May 1013 the captain had to do a sharp turn to avoid the rocks. Many people were hurt. Then I contracted the Norovirus which meant my7 friend and I were quarantines and missed out on Barcelona. This ship is tired and should be dismantled before something worse happens

“we wanted to escapei”

Written on: 19/03/2013 by marlene.shearn (2 reviews written)

This ship,the Island Escape gave poor service.Restaurants crowded,long queues.Plastic plates in self service restaurant with no access to wine during the meal.Entertainment very poor ,laptops crashing regularly.Theatre show excellent.Towels bedding and beds well below standard in our inside cabin deck 9.All inclusive drinks package very poor.Not as described in the brochure You will be charged for coffees at the bars;we expected to pay for speciality coffees only.Many people complaining. Too… Read Full Review

Lorrainedenholm's Response to marlene.shearn's Review

Written on: 01/04/2013

Sorry to hear that its not up to scratch... we are due to go in a couple of weeks... not too fussed for the standard restaurants, dont mind paying a bit extra for a la carte restaurant. Heard about coffees. Re all inclusive, is the wine included in the a la carte restaurant? Is it likely to be cold on board? Not sure what to expect, our first cruise!

Carollala's reply to Lorrainedenholm's Comment

Written on: 18/04/2013

It is a wonderful ship it may be old but I loved the food entertainment, staff can't so enough for you, my mum who is disabled was helped all the time, I honestly loved it last September and have rebooked for this September it's all inclusive this year , I can't wait to get a warm and friendly welcome as before, you will love it !

“we wanted to escapei”

Written on: 19/03/2013 by marlene.shearn (2 reviews written)