Altus 807 Reviews

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Altus 807 - Ask a question now

Altus 807

“I changed from a hand made all silver instrument to an...”

Written on: 06/02/2010

I changed from a hand made all silver instrument to an open hole 907 recently and am delighted with it. The instrument really sings and has great flexibility. The mechanism is also superb. The springing is just right and the pads seal as well as anything I have ever played. I am enjoying playing it very much. The only caveat I would put in is that the tenons are quite tight and need care in assembly to avoid damaging them. A young inexperienced player might have problems here but at least… Read Full Review

Dizi38's Comment

Hi Have you compared to a 807 and 1007? I wish to know before I commit, thanks

Altus 807

“Altus makes flutes that are very high in quality with...”

Written on: 04/11/2009

Altus makes flutes that are very high in quality with excellent intonation. While expensive, they are prof. in grade (even the 807), true hand made, and will never wear out unless the flutist is rough on the flute. They are less costly to maintain, and will meet the needs of a wide variety of players. This flute will sing, if the flutist has skills. While it is a prof. flute, a beginner can start on this flute and become better and better with practice. A professional can use this flute in… Read Full Review

Altus 807

“just bought this flute and am not dissapointed! I have...”

Written on: 20/02/2009

just bought this flute and am not dissapointed! I have never had an Altus before but after trying it out in the shop, thought it was brillinat. The sound quality and tone is fantastic and it looks gorgeous (very shiny!) I am enjoying playing it a lot!… Read Full Review

Altus 807

“My own instrument was very second-hand and completely...”

Written on: 07/12/2008 by douglasbrooksd (1 review written)

My own instrument was very second-hand and completely tarnished when I bought it, sight unseen. Polished up and oiled, it plays with superb ease with a glorious tone and didn't even need a repad or check-over. So believe all Altus claim about the durability of their flutes. They are very well made indeed. I play the closed hole B-foot version with split-E mechanism. I have tried it with various headjoints, but can say that, for me at least, the headjoint as supplied (plated with solid… Read Full Review

Dizi38's Response to douglasbrooksd's Review

Written on: 07/01/2013

How much if we have to repad an Altus 807, 907, 1007? Anyone know? How often must one service?

Dizi38's Response to douglasbrooksd's Review

Written on: 07/01/2013

I was told that in a blind test, some people prefer the 807 head over the the solid silver 907 which needs a bit more airstream. I also hear that the solid silver is said to have better tonality, but 807 in the hands of an expert is not far away.

Altus 807

“I like Altus flutes, and this basic model (closed hole...”

Written on: 07/12/2008

I like Altus flutes, and this basic model (closed hole but with split E and B-foot) didn't let me down. My own flute was very second-hand; but after a good clean-up it played in as good as new, thereby testifying to the durability of the instrument. I've tried it with various headjoints, and am convinced that with this flute the plated headjoint with solid lip, as supplied, is as good as any. Highly recommended for the average player, though I would not have bought it new. If you have £1500 -… Read Full Review

Dizi38's Comment

Written on: 07/01/2013

I tried ALtus, feels good in the hand, impressed, smooth, easy, rich sounding and refined. Certainly have more rich/color than a Yammie or Tjj. Anyone compared to a Muramatsu, Miya of same price range?

Altus 807

“It has a beautiful tone, full and rich, which...”

Written on: 06/06/2008

It has a beautiful tone, full and rich, which resonates throughout a room. The low notes on the flute are especially wholesome, while in the upper register, it is easy to hit a note. The Altus 807 is an incredible flute that I have certainly enjoyed playing. The tone is gorgeous. The middle register is a tiny bit airy in tone… Read Full Review