Laptops Direct Reviews - www.laptopsdirect.co.uk

Laptops Direct www.laptopsdirect.co.uk - Ask a question now

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“Not a good experience”

Written on: 17/05/2017 by Chace201 (1 review written)

This company offered the best price I could find for what I wanted. A whole week later my order was still "being processed". Phone calls to them cost 13p a minute. Emails receive an autoresponse which says they will be responded to within 4 hours during their workday. Not so. Only one of mine was answered within 4 hours, the remainder were the following day. The only good thing I can say is that I received a refund reasonably quickly when I cancelled the order… Read Full Review

“Have found them ok before - now very unhappy”

Written on: 26/03/2017 by paulc815 (1 review written)

Ordered laptop recently via website and paid online. Available for similar price at national chains but thought I'd use LD as not too far from my home and can collect from store. So far so good. Collection same day promised on purchase website but waited in vain all day for email saying the item I'd paid for was ready. Messaged them and all I got was standard email saying they'd let me know when available. Asked why not available same day as promised but no reply to that question. Finally… Read Full Review

“Hoverboard and shady practice ”

Written on: 31/12/2015 by KeeganPereira (1 review written)

I ordered a hoverboard and cancelled the order before it was dispatched. I was assured order was cancelled and refund would be processed - not so! Advisor dispatched order and put on notes they had convinced me to keep it and had alleviated my concerns. I was disguised by this behaviour and cannot believe any company would behave in this way. They also had the cheek to charge me for the delivery after matter was finally resolved. I hope this was a one off but doubt it based on other comments… Read Full Review

“Poor after sales service”

Written on: 07/11/2014 by CesarSaunders197 (1 review written)

I orderded an Acer laptop and it arrived two days later - without me being notified of despatch, lucky I was at home! After setting it up, I noticed that sound wasn't working. As advised by Laptops Direct, i went thru Acer's fault finding process (which took best part of a day), then Acer accepted it was faulty, gave me a DOA (dead on arrival) number and arranged to replace it (which they would have done in 24 hours). However, I had extra 4mb RAM installed so had to return it to Laptops… Read Full Review

“Misleading Advertising”

Written on: 08/05/2013 by Durhampanther1 (1 review written)

I bought a Lenovo ideapad which was advertised has having £50 cash-back. When I came to claim the cash-back from Lenovo they advised that the claim was invalid. I contacted Laptops Direct, they forwarded an alternate promotion code which was also invalid. Lonovo could only comment that I must ask the re-seller (Laptops Direct) to solve the problem. Laptops Direct do not seem interested in doing so, I shall be witting to Advertising Standards but in the meantime don't be taken in by their cash… Read Full Review

“Very poor delivery and customer service”

Written on: 27/06/2012 by scrumpyjack7 (1 review written)

I have no doubt that the laptops are good value for money and they have a good range. However the courier service that they opt to use - lets them down hugely. My laptop was ordered and I paid extra to get it to the office in time however it failed to get to me through a series of cock and bull stories by the courier. Laptops Direct customer service was a joke and never offered a solution apart from having it redelivered, subsequently missing the reason why I went for the quick delivery… Read Full Review

“Misleading website and poor customer service”

Written on: 23/08/2011

Website said goods were instock and available to collect next day from the Hudderfield showroom (confirmed over phone)but told i had to pay upfront on CC. Went to collect the goods TWO days after ordering and was told they were not available, customer services couldnt tell me when the goods would arrive. Told customer services i was not happy that my card had been charged even though Laptops Direct did not have the goods and could not tell me when they would arrive, i told them to cancel my… Read Full Review

Roderick's Comment

Written on: 29/08/2011

same here.. i ordered an iPad.. payed for it and received an email form laptops direct that the order is incomplete. i sent them 16 fuckin emsg, call them 10 times a day for 3 days. still no respond! my money where blocked for 7 days and i couldn't do anything!! thats the worst company I've ever seen!! avoid 100%.

“Not impressed at all with customer services. the...”

Written on: 23/12/2010

Not impressed at all with customer services. the technical support line was near useless and my netbook came infected with a worm. After several telephone calls i was told that i would have to pay for them to fix it. I eventually gave up and took it to someone to have it restored. I wouldnt recommend that anyone buy from this company especially if its a gift for someone, it just a good job i checked it before i wrapped it for my daughter… Read Full Review

“Up until last week I would have recommended this...”

Written on: 08/09/2010 by bigluap (1 review written)

Up until last week I would have recommended this company without a problem.
Useful Numbers 01484328202 or 01484319805, beats using their 0870.

But when they get it wrong, they do it in style.

I contact them on Friday 3 Sept 10, they took 2 phone numbers so someone could contact me

I rang again on Monday 4th awaiting a Managers decision, expected later that day.

I rang again today 5th, would highlight it for a manager.
I then get an email informing me someone would ring or I could ring… Read Full Review

Update to Review.
<br/>Managers decision is:
<br/>
<br/>You should have found this in the first 7 days, so live with it.

Ac10's Response to bigluap's Review

Written on: 28/10/2010

i brought a grade a1 refub form laptops dirct said it had 3month warrenty. on the internet said it had flash player but it didnt so i phoned up they said i had to download it so i did but it wouldnt let me install anything including internet security. so i phoned up they said we will see if you are entitled to a refund phone back in 24hrs. but 2hours after i phone them the netbook turned off and wouldnt turn back on. so they said they where going to take it back and give me a refund its been 20days since they took netbook back so i phoned again today they said you are not entitled to refund and can not have purchase back

Written on: 26/09/2010

Update- Got an email from the Editor PCPRO asking if I had heard anything. Replied no. So as it had been 7 days since the laptop had gone to testing I called. After the support agent, put me on hold to consult someone else. I was eventually informed a refund had been authorised. I asked when, but she could not answer. 3 days later I got an email informing me they would be refunding the full amount later that day. It is now 3 days since I got this email and payment is yet to be received.

Written on: 15/09/2010

AMD Tech Support's response:-
<br/>In this case, you would actually have to contact the manufacturer for specifications regarding temperature. All processors that go into a laptop are OEM parts and therefore we do not have specifications for them. OEM processors are sold specifically to system manufacturers, who then make additional adjustments so that the processor fits into their design parameters. AMD simply sells the processor to manufacturers, who then implement it into their proprietary device. Therefore, the manufacturer is the entity who ultimately determines what the operating temperatures should be for the processors that go into their laptops. TALK ABOUT PASSING THE BUCK.

Written on: 14/09/2010

Latest update.
<br/>Get some with a big stick to threaten them.
<br/>No Really, Being a subscriber to a PC magazine for over 15 years, I contacted 'The Editor', who made a phone call. Guess what? Approved Returns No arrived by email within 3 working days.
<br/>
<br/>PS watch out for their Extended Warranty, on the website it states it is issued by 'AXA', but when you receive it it is underwritten by 'Fortis'. Apparently 'UK Underwriting LTD' switched the companies about 6 months ago & 'Laptops Direct' have yet to update their website & paperwork.

Written on: 13/09/2010

Just had a response from AMD Technical Support, after logging in, I am taken to a page to raise a RMA. Bit difficult for an embedded processor in a laptop, so it looks like it is back to Toshiba. Further updates to follow.

Written on: 13/09/2010

Oh in all my rantings about the Supplier I forgot to mention a review about the product.
<br/>
<br/>Toshiba L350D-216 AVOID, it hates flash games on Facebook, ie Zoo World. It runs hot, when it hits the 70 C mark it freezes & has to be re-booted via the power button. In the 2 months I have have it this has occurred 32 times, considering it spent nearly 3 weeks with Toshiba Technical Support who changed the Heatsink & Cooling assembly. They suggested I only install Microsoft software & leave it to idle so it would run at 46 to 54 C.
<br/>WHO BUYS A LAPTOP TO LEAVE IT TO IDLE.
<br/>They also informed me that Intel processors run cooler. Can anyone tell me how to install an Intel Processor into a AMD motherboard?

Written on: 13/09/2010

Trading Standards are not much use, they seem to have lost their teeth.
<br/>Write them a letter,
<br/>Send by Recorded Delivery,
<br/>Wait 28 days for a response
<br/>If not happy with their answer, try the small claims in the County Court.

“Although Laptops Direct provide competetive pricing...”

Written on: 24/06/2010 by Susoki (1 review written)

Although Laptops Direct provide competetive pricing this is heavily offset by poor customer service if there is a problem with the goods. Having ordered a Toshiba notebook online, I spent over a week waiting for a response to a fairly simple query regarding a missing item (namely XP media to downgrade from Vista). The reps. I spoke to didn't have the technical ability to understand the problem and I had to chase them up continuously on the phone - they rarely rang back despite promises to do… Read Full Review

“This is an OK retailer if your product arrives and is...”

Written on: 24/04/2010

This is an OK retailer if your product arrives and is perfect. My HannsG Monitor arrived faulty and even though I followed the required and convoluted "returns process" (which includes contacting the manufacturer to get a "Dead on Arrival" reference!) I wasn't provided the RMA code I needed to return the monitor for a replacement. I'm now having to progress as a dispute through my Credit Card company as this company now fails to respond to (email) queries. This is all really very poor service… Read Full Review

“i would recommend the company as the product arrovid...”

Written on: 22/01/2010 by dina lincoln (1 review written)

i would recommend the company as the product arrovid very fast and well packed. however we bought a net book and it is hardly useable for what we intended. it is so slow it takes all night to read and relete a few emails, cant access youtube, cant play iplayer and it has a very poor signal strength even when sat right infront of the router let alone in another room.
I should have saved my money and got a lap top. my daughter has waited 3 years for me to buy her this and is very disapointed.i… Read Full Review

“IN NOVEMBER I BOUGHT MY DAUGHTER A TOSHIBA LAPTOP FOR...”

Written on: 05/01/2010

IN NOVEMBER I BOUGHT MY DAUGHTER A TOSHIBA LAPTOP FOR CHRISTMAS. THE CD/DVD DRIVE DID NOT WORK ON CHRISTMAS DAY AND NOW ON 5TH JANUARY THE LAPTOP WILL NOT SWITCH ON. I CONTACTED CUSTOMER SERVICES BY PHONE AND SPOKE TO SARAH WHO GAVE ME AN OUT OF DATE CONTACT NO FOR TOSHIBA AS BASICALLY LAPTOP DIRECT COULD NOT HELP.
THIS IS THE THIRD LAPTOP I HAVE BOUGHT FROM LAPTOP DIRECT AND I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS BEFORE.

I AM EXTREMELY DISSAPPOINTED AS IS MY DAUGHTER… Read Full Review

“I have tried to buy laptops from these people three...”

Written on: 20/11/2009

I have tried to buy laptops from these people three times. The first time, it all went really well and I got my laptop in 24 hours. Great.

The second time, I place an order for goods described as "in stock" on the website only to find that they were magically out of stock the second the order went through. Payment was taken immediately, even though the goods were not dispatched. The laptop finally arrived two weeks later, was delivered on a random day, and had to be collected from a post… Read Full Review

“I was recommended Laptops Direct by a friend, who must...”

Written on: 24/06/2009 by Andyh3930 (1 review written)

I was recommended Laptops Direct by a friend, who must have been very lucky as his laptop arrived next day.
I ordered mine around lunchtime on Tuesday 16th and I was told it was in stock. Didn't arrive the following day. Sent a eMassage ( a Feedback page on their site and the only way they claim to get to Customer Services) I didn't receive a reply. Phone sales, who then transferred me to Customer Services. They said the were getting the in Wednesday, so I expected the Laptop Thursday. Phoned… Read Full Review

“Ordered (by phone) and paid for next day delivery, and...”

Written on: 03/09/2008 by ianggjames (1 review written)

Ordered (by phone) and paid for next day delivery, and also some additional items (memory etc.). Confirmation email then said my additional items would delay delivery by 2 days (which no-one had told me on the phone) so I contacted them and cancelled the additional items. This never got through to despatch, so item was delayed 24 hours. Never received refund for the next day delivery. The technical support service (first 7 days free) didn't appear to exist when I tried to contact them. On… Read Full Review

“Bought a laptop roughly 3 months ago - without reading...”

Written on: 19/07/2007 by mazalkova (1 review written)

Bought a laptop roughly 3 months ago - without reading any online reviews - which is my own fault.
So when I did read them on the day of delivery I was so nervous as I had left it all to this apparently terrible company.
To my very happy -and grateful- surprise it came delivered to the correct address at the -roughly- correct time and it seemed all OK. This is my first laptop and it seems to be going OK for now.
I am a wee bit nervous that something will mysteriously crash on my laptop but for… Read Full Review

“The only phone number you can call leaves you on hold...”

Written on: 16/02/2007 by foreveronhold (2 reviews written)

The only phone number you can call leaves you on hold for 15 - 30 minutes, after which the line drops. The email is answered by staff who do not answer your questions, or even try to provide solutions. Example: I bought an Acer laptop in January 2007, with free Vista upgrade. I have been trying to get the upgrade for the past month, but the COA number is invalid. laptopsdirect.co.uk has so far ignored my emails or answered - I quote - "Further information regarding the Vista upgrade will be… Read Full Review