YSL Opium Reviews

• Strength of Scent

Summary

Are looking for Opium perfume reviews? At Review Centre you can compare reviews of women's fragrances with YSL Opium reviews to see if it's recommended by other women. If you've used this fragrance please write a YSL Opium review and let everyone know whether you loved or hated it.

YSL Opium - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for YSL Opium

YSL  Opium
YSL  Opium

“New Formula YSL Opium”

Written on: 21/09/2014

So, SO, SO disappointed with the new fragrance of Opium. I had no idea there was a new formulation until I opened my new bottle. It smelled so COMPLETELY different on me (even irritated my skin slightly) that I Googled 'Opium' and saw the multitudes of complaints. I too have been wearing Opium for 30 years - it's the only scent I've worn - it's 'me'. Any ideas on how to be sure the "vintage" bottles of Opium being sold on EBAY are the real thing. I'm GUTTED!… Read Full Review

“Scent has changed.”

Written on: 24/03/2014 by Noahx62 (1 review written)

I have used Opium since 1980's and have always received compliments. My recent purchased Opium does not have the same scent, and I no longer receive compliments on how nice it smells. I've stopped wearing it because I don't like the scent when I'm wearing it. I don't even know what to replace it with, since I have not found a scent I like as well as the old Opium. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!… Read Full Review

YSL Opium

“OPIUM Perfume has been reformatted.”

Written on: 08/03/2013 by Armageddon (1 review written)

Let me start by saying I have used OPIUM perfume for over 30 years and adore the scent. I have had many compliments and always purchased a new 100ml bottle each year. I purchased a bottle recently only to find it's been reformatted due to the IFRA restrictions on spicy ingredients (eugenol and iso-eugenol). These ingredients have been removed and replaced and there is now a chemical smell to this perfume. I've also suffered with a rash on my inner wrist area where I apply the perfume… Read Full Review

Ggbrown's Response to Armageddon's Review

Written on: 10/06/2013

I have also used Opium for over 30 years. I agree entirely with what the other two reviewers have written. Opium no longer smells as it did and it does not last. I also hate the new bottle. The 90 ml size which I mistakenly purchased it too big for my hand. I have to use two hands to spray it on myself, its awkward and wasteful as its then hard to direct the spray.

Purplehazell's Response to Armageddon's Review

Written on: 14/09/2013

I've used Opium for as long as I can remember(the 70's) and after getting the latest bottle from my husband at Christmas couldn't understand why it was different. He always used to comment how he could smell it the next morning. And as soon as I used to put it on he would inhale deeply and say 'Opium!' Now he says 'what's that you're wearing?' and there is no lasting fragrance. It is very run of the mill instead of the rich sensual smell. It was only recently that I looked on the internet and found they had changed it. I am heartbroken. Will my marriage of nearly 30 years survive??????

Armageddon's reply to Purplehazell's Comment

Written on: 18/09/2013

Hi, my husband used to say the same thing about the old opium perfume but it has definitely changed and Loreal refuse to admit this. I never had a rash with the old Opium. Apparently this perfume is now sold by Loreal and not YSL so I arranged via the Opium rep in Debenhams to send two 100ml bottles of Opium back for testing (even although I didn't purchase the bottles from Debenhams) just in case they were fake. They hung onto them for a while until I sent a further email complaining that I had heard nothing. I received a phone call telling me that I would receive a full refund for both 100ml bottles. I would encourage others to do the same. I intend contacting watchdog and trading standards to push Loreal into admitting the perfume has been altered as they refuse to give this information. I now buy Coco channel which has a spicy smell although it doesn't last like the old Opium but it doesn't smell awful like the new one. Thanks to both GB Brown and yourself for taking the time to comment and confirm that Opium has changed.

“Newest Opium...”

Written on: 29/04/2012

2012: I've worn Opium for almost 20 years. I love it, and utter strangers compliment me on it. The change in bottle shape and format seems to coincide with a complete change in formulation. This is NOT the 'old' Opium. Top note is acrid and bitter. The top note lasts for over an hour. A nasty, unpleasant smell. As well the entire scent experience is no longer 'long-lasting'. 2 hours later - it's entirely gone. Given the 'new' smell we should be happy. I'm searching for the 'old' bottles to put… Read Full Review

Miclark's Comment

Written on: 14/02/2013

I agree with this comment, I have been wearing the original Opium perfume for 30 years and have nearly run out, and after buying the new fragrance found that it is completely different and leaves a rather nasty after scent on you resembling BO. Every body I have smelt this new scent on has the same after smell and they all say the same as me. I am completely devastated by this and am unable to find another perfume I like as much as the original Opium.
Can they not go back to making the original fragrance, the comments I received from both men & women..... amazing!!

Armageddon's Comment

Written on: 08/03/2013

I also agree with this comment and I too have been wearing the perfume for over 30 years. The new Opium is nothing like the old one and it does have a chemical smell. I bought perfume in 2012 and thought it was fake so bought another bottle in February 2013 from another supplier and it smells the same which is pretty awful and nothing like the original. I only realised it had been reformatted after searching the internet to see if others had found that the scent had changed. I think it's a disgrace that people are being misled into thinking they are purchasing the same perfume and at a high cost as Opium isn't cheap. I’ve just spent £125 between the two bottled and the supplier refuses to refund the latest bottle purchased in Feb 2013. Now looking for an alternative after all these years which is disappointing. I will be placing as many negative reviews all over the internet so that people are at least knowledgeable about Opium perfume being reformatted so that people can make an informed purchase.

YSL Opium

“Opium perfume is a complete 3D experience, a symphony...”

Written on: 13/11/2009

Opium perfume is a complete 3D experience, a symphony for the nose and for the brain, and is well worth the price. Don't bother with the eau de cologne though which comparatively is merely pretty and shallowly reminiscent of the real deal.

I discovered Opium in October 1977 on the day I turned 13 when my grandmother who was more suited for being my Auntie Mame gave me a bottle of the perfume for my birthday. Yes, the perfume!- tassel and all.

Opium changed me, transformed my whole world… Read Full Review

YSL Opium

“/Opium is a striking perfume rich and heady perfect...”

Written on: 03/07/2009

/>Opium is a striking perfume rich and heady perfect for winter nights. Smells like patchouli musk and possibly the scent of leather… Read Full Review

YSL Opium

“I love the so so sexy smell of Opium. When i was...”

Written on: 07/05/2009

I love the so so sexy smell of Opium. When i was looking desperately for something that smacked of Oriental with a bit of spice i could not find the one until i found Opium and now i am happy… Read Full Review

YSL Opium

“It is warm, powdery and sensuous. Strangely, the eau...”

Written on: 01/01/2009 by Mary Grant (1 review written)

It is warm, powdery and sensuous. Strangely, the eau de toilette seems to last longer than the eau de parfum, which I have been buying recently.

Men are attracted to you whilst wearing Opium. The body cream and lotion are superb. My tip is to spray fragrance FIRST then apply the lotion or cream to "fix" the fragrance and prevent evaporation… Read Full Review

YSL Opium

“Don't pay shop prices! Cheapest usually online, and...”

Written on: 16/07/2008 by ingsride7 (1 review written)

Don't pay shop prices! Cheapest usually online, and keep an eye on ebay for bargains… Read Full Review

YSL Opium

“Whenever I wear Opium it seems to make me feel very...”

Written on: 30/06/2008 by Lezlee Peddle (1 review written)

Whenever I wear Opium it seems to make me feel very special and sexy. On special occasions when I am all dressed up and I put on Opium and I walk into a place I feel special and on top of the world. My children and grand-children recognize that it is MY perfume… Read Full Review

YSL Opium

“I am absolutely fascinated with YSL Opium perfume....”

Written on: 27/05/2006 by sp (3 reviews written)

I am absolutely fascinated with YSL Opium perfume. It's establishing high standards for the women who wear it. It's not for the light hearted. It's challenging, energising and full of personality!… Read Full Review

YSL Opium

“YSL Opium is a perfume I have worn on and off over the...”

Written on: 16/07/2003 by Sue. (1 review written)

YSL Opium is a perfume I have worn on and off over the years, but I do love the sexy spicy oriental smell, it is strong smelling and last all evening, I always use the cream body moisturizer after showering then apply the perfume. I love it.