Citroen C5 SX 2.0 HDi Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Citroen C5 SX 2.0 HDi - Ask a question now

“This has been a brilliant car for us, it has covered...”

Written on: 28/02/2010

This has been a brilliant car for us, it has covered 144,000 miles to date (49,000 since we bought it) and is still going strong. There's loads of space inside and the rear of the car lowers at the touch of the button to make loading heavy items easier. The ride is ultra smooth, especially on the motorway, and the front seats are very comfortable with their built-in armrests.

Running costs are very reasonable, road tax is currently £125 per year and the HDi engine is brilliant on diesel… Read Full Review

“Never had a better car than the Citroen C5 SX 2.0 HDi....”

Written on: 28/02/2009 by Kjell (1 review written)

Never had a better car than the Citroen C5 SX 2.0 HDi. Plenty of power, Have even park-tronic, Sensor for tires and rain, airbags everywhere, triptronic, and you don't find a more comfortable car. Top cruiser, I have been driving 1000 km in 12 hours, and not even felt tired in my back. I have not found any bad points, maybe only it is not easy to change lights in front. It is so good that I have bought one wagon too… Read Full Review

“Our diesel Citroen C5 has been the most reliable and...”

Written on: 28/08/2008 by RD123 (1 review written)

Our diesel Citroen C5 has been the most reliable and fuel economical car we have ever owned.
It's the more comfortable and practical car also, anything the road throws at it, it's suspension simply soaks it up, giving you the nicest ride on any surface.
Could not find a better car in its field… Read Full Review

“I will buy another C5 for sure. Fuel consumption,...”

Written on: 19/06/2008

I will buy another C5 for sure. Fuel consumption, suspension is wonderful. I have don nothing to my Diesel 110 2L except normal servicing since new. I cant wait till I replace it with the new model… Read Full Review

“We got the Citroen C5 from a main dealer in Worksop,...”

Written on: 20/05/2008 by carl2000 (1 review written)

We got the Citroen C5 from a main dealer in Worksop, first day it would not let us drive it due to a sensor fault, returned to dealer, then the outside temp gauge went, rtd, then the air I take sensor, then the ecu failed, twice, then had a new cat and exhaust, new discs and pads, then all the locks, then another sensor, and all the time the car dances, yes jumps up and down like a drug dealers car, common fault I € m told. then when you leave it for a number of days it drains the battery… Read Full Review

“Owned since new and I love it I also own a...”

Written on: 19/04/2007 by JOHNMUSTAFA (1 review written)

Owned since new and I love it I also own a supercharged Range Rover which is new, and my C5 is my preferred choice when going out!… Read Full Review

“Very unfortunate as we really liked this Citroen C5 SX...”

Written on: 02/06/2006 by gilldavis (1 review written)

Very unfortunate as we really liked this Citroen C5 SX at first. Citroen UK are also apparently unable to find a C5 estate to loan us… Read Full Review

“I purchased a Citroen C5 SX in Sept 2004 with full...”

Written on: 20/02/2006 by tsyc (1 review written)

I purchased a Citroen C5 SX in Sept 2004 with full history. It's better built than I expected but fuel economy is disappointing considering it's a diesel. Errant warning lights and on one occasion no electrics at all on startup which cleared only after 5 mins. Performance, comfort and practicality are the plus points but legroom is quite poor. I am only 5ft 9in and it's tight… Read Full Review

“I work for a Company in the North who purchased 3 low...”

Written on: 31/08/2005 by Andy Watkinson (2 reviews written)

I work for a Company in the North who purchased 3 low mileage 2001 reg Citroen C5's for our sales team. I inherited one of the cars and have ran it for the last couple of years. I would never have chosen a Citroen myself but have been pleasantly surprised by the reliability and quality of this car for the money.

There has been only one real persistant problem which all 3 cars suffered from but may be explained. Every 3 - 4 months the cars would start up in economy mode and then you would… Read Full Review

Ctcitroen's Response to Andy Watkinson's Review

Written on: 13/03/2006

Having read your comment about the battery on your C5 I thought I may put a bit of light on the subject. If you ask to speak to the CT at your Citroen garage and tell him that he needs to reduce the time the battery is working before eco mode from 60 minutes to 30 minutes and this should sort the problem out.

“The car in question is a Citroen C5 2.0 110bhp VTR. ...”

Written on: 25/08/2005 by cuttsy (1 review written)

The car in question is a Citroen C5 2.0 110bhp VTR. My problem with the vehicle is that the flywheel is a major fault, as this makes a noise at turn off, and also when changing gear. The noise sounds like it is a big bird under the bonnet, but until Citroen find a fix, we all have to put up with this annoying problem.
If anyone else is having this problem, get in touch with Citroen before your warranty runs out, or you will have to PAY to get rid of the noise… Read Full Review

“The Citroen C5 SX HDI 110HP is a nice car let down by...”

Written on: 30/11/2003 by Ward (2 reviews written)

The Citroen C5 SX HDI 110HP is a nice car let down by too many stupid problems.
Not since I had an Austin Maxi have I experienced oil leaks. To have this complaint on such a car is just unbelievable. Then to have the same handbrake recall as the Xantia and the same crude fix is astounding. Although overall noise levels are low, there are a lot of suspension noises over broken surfaced roads, especially around town. I had this problem addressed by Citroen putting additional sound-proofing in the… Read Full Review

“After 36,000 miles of running a C5 I have very mixed...”

Written on: 10/07/2003 by Neil. (1 review written)

After 36,000 miles of running a C5 I have very mixed feelings about this car.

On the one hand it is the best motorway cruiser I have ever owned. Regular 300 mile journeys result in no stresses or strains and the car laps up the miles, achieving 45 mpg. It is so much roomier and more comfortable than the various hire cars, Vectras, Mondeos, etc that I have had to use at too frequent intervals. The ride is unbelievably smooth on anything but rutted lanes and the engine is strong and… Read Full Review

Corinnewainw's Response to Neil.'s Review

Written on: 21/10/2003

I too have a C5 that will not start when hot. My C5 has been off road in a garage dealership for 14 out of 30 months (I had car from new) Lat time it went in was May this year, I am yet to have it back. It has had 5 low pressure diesel pumps, 5 high pressure pumps, 3 ecus,cam shaft sensor, fly wheel sensor, 2 exhaust temp sensors, 1 wiring harness and they still havnt fixed the problem!!! DONT BUY!!!!!!!! AT YOUR PERIL!

Rickhough's Response to Neil.'s Review

Written on: 28/09/2005

That is dreadful service and simply highlights the incompetence of your garage. They are simply swapping out parts and hoping that fixes the problem and that is not an acceptable way to repair anything.
<br>
<br>The problem is that diagnosis is often difficult on models that are new and garages don't seem to be too keen to send mechanics to be trained in new vehicles.
<br>
<br>The engine and management system in the C5 2.0 HDi are the same as that in the Xantia and of course many Peugeot cars. These drive trains have been in use since (I think) 1998 and the 100,000 miles I have done behind them have been totally problem free as well as economical.
<br>
<br>I have a C5 and a Xantia Estate, both 2001 cars, both SX, both 2.0 HDi and manual. Both are 100% reliable in all departments. I would suggest that anyone having problems with an HDi engined Citroen ditches their dealer/garage and looks for a good independent.
<br>
<br>If you are in the North West of England try Sandbach where there is one of the finest indie Citroen garages on the planet. I service my own cars but cambelts and anything that requires garage equipment to do safely I have done by one of two garages that I know and trust.