Citroen C5 2.0 HDi SX Hatch Reviews

• Practicality

• Reliability

Citroen C5 2.0 HDi SX Hatch - Ask a question now

“Super Ride Confort”

Written on: 07/05/2012 by Yavuz (1 review written)

I used a 1.6 HDI for 6 years. In this time i only changed the clutch and flywheel. The first flywheel used was Valeo 0532 P7 flywheel. Peugeot and Citroen changed many of these flywheel. Than after the second half of 2006 year both Citroen and Peugeot used Sachs 0532 Q4 flywheel and Sachs clutch. I still use Sachs flywheel for 30.000 miles and there is no problem yet. When i was using Valeo flywheel problem had occured within 15.000 miles. On the other hand the riding confort is on a very high… Read Full Review

“I have had my C5 some 8 months and have already had a...”

Written on: 18/05/2010

I have had my C5 some 8 months and have already had a complete set of tyres at 25000 miles. This cost me 500 pounds.
Biggest complaint, have had to have a new clutch and dual mass flywheel.
Cost, wait for it, 1371 pounds! Whilst the car is still under warranty dealer would not replace under warranty.
Any body else had this problem?
Have had an AA check done on this vehicle, apparently Ford have had problems with this type of flywheel and have changed out a lot.

Rickh's Comment

Written on: 12/06/2012

If you had gone to an independent specialist they would have replaced it with a conventional clutch for around £400 and 25k from a set of tyres is normal, in fact pretty good. also the clutch is not covered by warranty as it is a consumable and it is not uncommon for a four year old car to need a clutch if it has done lots of stop start miles. My SX is a 2001 and has done 200k with no problems - last eight years and 120k miles have been in my ownership so maybe you got unlucky with the clutch.

“I purchased my C5 when it was 4 years old, it was in...”

Written on: 27/08/2009

I purchased my C5 when it was 4 years old, it was in immaculate condition and just over 50000 miles on the clock.
I have to say, i have had many cars in my time, but this has to be the most pleasurable to drive, but when it developes a fault it can be costly.
I suppose mine is now at an age when faults become common, but never realised just how expensive it can be to get a c5 repaired. Recently my alternator siezed and cost me £370 to have replaced. Then my clutch started to slip, and because… Read Full Review

“Ours is a 02 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX, bought new still...”

Written on: 27/06/2008 by christopheru2 (1 review written)

Ours is a 02 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX, bought new still immaculate, can't get my wife to part with it, mind you after driving austin rovers most of her life, I cant blame her. Apart from the handbrake freezing on in 2003, servicing, brake pads, tyres and wiper blades are the only items that have been the only costs… Read Full Review

“Car under review - C5 HDI 90 LX Estate - 2001 (51...”

Written on: 26/10/2005 by mastechltd (1 review written)

Car under review - C5 HDI 90 LX Estate - 2001 (51 plate). For a car that has had motorway mileage for about 110K of its 112K miles, I would not expect it to be on its 3rd clutch! Sounds like a design fault to me! Note - I usually make clutches last over 150K miles!!! and I don't tow the QE2 either! Very difficult without a tow bar! By the way, clutch and flywheel replacements come in at a whopping £650. ouch!! Seems to be a common fault, but the dealers still won't cough up and pay, or issue a… Read Full Review

Written on: 26/11/2005

Diesel injectors can also fail prematurely. At approx £250 each (fitted), get this done under warranty and don't let the dealer fob you off with the usual, it must be the supermarket fuel you are using!

Written on: 20/04/2007

I finally got rid of my Citroen C5 2.0 HDi SX at 158K, as the clutch started to slip again.

Written on: 01/01/2006

Forgot to mention the excessive vibration at between 65 - 70mph and persistant misfire when cold.

Written on: 08/12/2005

MAKE THAT 4 CLUTCHES in 115K miles.

“I have been watching and waiting for HDi SX Citroen...”

Written on: 28/09/2005 by rickhough (4 reviews written)

I have been watching and waiting for HDi SX Citroen C5's to drop to the £3000 mark and my 01 plate car (2001) cost me a shade over that on Ebay. It had done 97k miles and this was August 2005.

I know Citroens inside out and have run them (11 in all) since 1991 including BX (4), ZX(1), Xantias (5) and now the C5. Prior to that I had 40 cars from Land Rovers to MGs and I have always worked on my own cars, including nut and bolt rebuilds of classics. I currently own two Xantias (a 1995 - 200k… Read Full Review

Sharpest's Response to rickhough's Review

Written on: 12/10/2005

Fantastic review!
<br>
<br>Been to look at a used 2002 C5 with 103 thousand miles on the clock tonight.
<br>You have put our minds at rest and will be buying the car with confidance now after reading the reviews on Review Centre.
<br>
<br>Will be snapping it up at £3,495 asap and adding our own review when we have had it a few months.
<br>
<br>Thanks again for the info you have added.

Rickh's Response to rickhough's Review

Written on: 12/06/2012

Update 190k miles - C5 is still doing 500 miles a week and returning 50 - 60 mpg with ease. Everything still works but I have replaced the alloy wheels (tyres were worn) with Exclusive items for £100 including a set of nearly new 205 tyres which has vastly improved handling. The exhaust (all original) is now 11 years old and has started to blow but only £250 to replace the lot including cat. Also just had the belts and pulleys changed with water pump (original was still fitted and working fine) so that should see us another 100k miles (£288 inc. VAT). Signs of corrosion on the unprotected suspension component but they are pretty solid so I won't fret just yet.

Lightyearman's reply to Rickh's Comment

Written on: 03/01/2013

My dad recently bought a 2008 C5 estate to use as his taxi (1.6hdi VTR) and as i was impressed with the space and ride i decided to look for a cheapy early model as a work car.

I have just purchased today a 2002 model C5 saloon 2.0hdi LX. It has 185k miles on the clock but to look at and drive you would never tell. I'm unsure if its a 90 or 110bhp version, how do you tell?
The cambelt was changed 20k ago and the clutch about 90k ago, but still bites strong (unsure if it has dual mass flywheel, certainly hope not...)
I've bought it knowing it needs new glow plugs but these are £15 online and look easy enough to change. I was also advised that it is using a pint of water every 500 miles or so. After looking over the engine and checking the fluids i'm confident it isn't a headgasket problem so i will keep an eye on it and look for a leak.

The best part. The price. With 9 months mot and 4 months tax i just paid £225

£225!

Fingers crossed it handles my 400 mile a week comute through the countryside ok and i'll report again at 200k miles. Hopefully.

The interior seems to have survived the mileage well, externaly apart from a dent to the tailgate an a 2" scratch to the rear quarter it looks great!

Rickh's reply to Lightyearman's Comment

Written on: 04/01/2013

You could get three times that purchase price by breaking it for parts so I would say you've grabbed a real bargain there, well done!!

I met a chap last year who had a Xantia he bought for £50 and it was still going strong after 4 years of hard service.

If your car has a black pipe going over the engine to the inter cooler at the front I think that means it's a 110, no pipe, no inter cooler should be a 90.

Rickhough's Response to rickhough's Review

Written on: 10/09/2010

Another quick update as the car failed it's MOT (first time for everything!) because the fog lamp switch had failed. This is controlled by the indicator stalk and is therefore part of the Comms 2000 unit.
<br/>
<br/>I removed it and found that a springy copper contact had broken and noted that all of the contacts were past their best.
<br/>
<br/>At 160k miles I'm not too suprised and a new one was only &pound;170.00 from the dealer. It took me 20 minutes to fit and all is fine again. Looking forward to the next 160k miles now!

Rickhough's Response to rickhough's Review

Written on: 16/04/2010

Update - the car has now covered 150,000 miles so I thought I would update my original review.
<br/>
<br/>Basically nothing has gone wrong with the car apart from the engine cover rubber bolts coming adrift (March 2010). This caused the oil cap to unscrew depositing oil over the engine bay, but it only cost me &pound;5 for a new cap from a Citroen dealer.
<br/>
<br/>I'm still getting excellent mpg and in fact we drove to Nantes (from Cheshire) last summer in one day and got 65 mpg on average (actual mpg not the computer readout).
<br/>
<br/>Since the original review I have used the car to tow a trailer and filled it with firewood, building materials and even gravel several times (the car as well as the trailer!) Despite this gross abuse the car's interior still scrubs up nice and is supremely comfortable.
<br/>
<br/>We also run a 2001 Alfa 156 and I have to say that after an hour in the Alfa I'm longing for the smooth steady progress of the C5! I am considering replacing the C5 (with one of the new ones), but I can't justify the change.

“Just done 8400km of touring around Australia with an...”

Written on: 11/08/2005 by nichops (1 review written)

Just done 8400km of touring around Australia with an average fuel consumption of 6,1L/100km (including 8.0L/100km @ 150km/hr up the Stuart Highway to Darwin).
Good balance and stability on rough bush roads, and smooth as silk on the highway. No problems of any kind with the car. Very comfortable - good support over very long distances. Rear area great for travelling with lots of luggage and camping gear. Headlights good, but should be Xenon for outback driving. Adjustable suspension was a… Read Full Review

“After a bad start with my Citroen C5 2.0 HDi SX Hatch...”

Written on: 28/01/2005 by Terry001 (4 reviews written)

After a bad start with my Citroen C5 2.0 HDi SX Hatch Family Car in 2002, due entirely to the incompetence of the main dealer, the car has proved 100% reliable, and I get about 48 mpg. It's a bit dull to look at, but that has it's benefits - people are much less inclined to brand you as a flash so-and-so and let you out at busy junctions etc. It's not particulary fast or indeed outstanding in any way, but it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the equivalent Mondeo - you can sqeeze Citroen dealers… Read Full Review

“The Citroen C5 2.0 HDI sx hatch is the worst car I've...”

Written on: 08/02/2004 by Ward (2 reviews written)

The Citroen C5 2.0 HDI sx hatch is the worst car I've ever owned for faults. To have constant oil leaks for almost a year on a car of this ilk is just rediculous. The pulling to left gets worse as you get faster and is very tiring on a long journey. What's even worse is that I've had to put up with the leaks, pulling left and shakes for almost a year, as my Citroen dealer seems unable to fix them. Duff car and duff support. Hate to think what how I will fare when the warranty runs out. Save… Read Full Review

Cuttsy's Response to Ward's Review

Written on: 25/08/2005

is the gear box wine as you change gear does it sound like a chirp and the shaking only at 65 to 80

Professore's Response to Ward's Review

Written on: 06/08/2007

May be an obvious comment but have you checked your wheel balancing and tracking? This can cause pulling to one side and also shuddering at certain speeds. Since your mechanic is so incompetent he may have missed these.

232388_Gasman's Response to Ward's Review

Written on: 03/03/2006

Sounds to me like your car has a mechanical problem, which the dealer is ignorant of. Friend in Australia had dealer tell him nothing wrong with car which wasn`t being driven by one(back)wheel! Go to other dealer and get it fixed!

Rickhough's Response to Ward's Review

Written on: 28/09/2005

Your car should not pull to one side. This is dangerous and will fail the MOT. Your dealership/mechanic is obviously incompetent and I suggest you find a good independent garage and get it checked now before it kills you.
<br>
<br>Oil and fluid leaks from a Citroen must not be ignored as the braking and suspension (and power steering) share common reservoirs and loss of fluid can lead to loss of brakes.
<br>
<br>Once again this is mechanical ineptitude or slovenly work. If the fluid is blackish it is oil, if it is red it may be gearbox oil and if it is green panic now - that's the hydraulic circuit, is a closed circuit and high pressure.
<br>
<br>Don't blame the car - these are fantastic machines when looked after correctly. Find a garage that knows what it is doing! Good luck with sorting the problems - you have been treated badly.

“The Citroen C5 is an excellent car even after 40000...”

Written on: 09/07/2003 by Smithy. (1 review written)

The Citroen C5 is an excellent car even after 40000 miles.Best ever car I've had for towing. Just completed a 3,300 trip through Europe and averaged 29mpg with the van on. Usually gets 42mpg average on mixed driving city/motorway.This is and early version April 2001 and was subject to a few updates. Nothing terribly serious. Some noises from the back but I only experienced that for about 3000 miles then it went quiet. Even better since the updates and all covered by the three year Thinking of… Read Full Review