Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT Reviews

Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT

Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT
Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT

“Great SUV but Corrosion is horrible”

Written on: 28/10/2013

I recently acquired a 01 Durango 5.9 (RT model) w/113k miles great all around power house. Had some crossmember damage from a failed ball-joint which in turn caused some slight damage to the power steering system (now fixed). If left unprotected the underside of the body and frame rusts like crazy. Next spring I'm crawling under it and removing as much rust as possible...use an inner frame coating from Eastwood, their rust encapsulator, and their undercoating...Have used them in the past with… Read Full Review

“power to spare and style that shouts "lets party"”

Written on: 28/09/2011

The v-8 5.9l power plant gives enough power 2 get me anywhere i want with no problems, yet i am getting ok gas mileage... Always get good comments from others about its looks and the way it moves... I am proud to say that i love this sweet ride, i have even took it 2 a drag strip and ran it a few times just for fun. And it ran i quickest time of any suv/production trucks there. Only down side is that i am getting on average 14mpg every week… Read Full Review

“The Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT has tons of power. Small...”

Written on: 05/05/2009

The Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT has tons of power. Small SUV with very roomy interior and plenty of storage… Read Full Review

“We bought our 2001 5.9 SLT Dodge Durango used a couple...”

Written on: 30/07/2008

We bought our 2001 5.9 SLT Dodge Durango used a couple of years ago. It was a one owner and obviously well maintained. Now have over 120,000 miles on it. The only problem we had was a whining rear differential (fixed under warranty) and a faulty driver side electric window. I am impressed by the fact that the under carriage shows not one drop of leaking oil or transmission fluid. Doesn't use oil between changes and none of the sludge problems you hear about. Anytime we go for a trip, my wife… Read Full Review

“Dodge Durango with a 5.9 Liter magnum V8, Air Raid...”

Written on: 21/07/2008

Dodge Durango with a 5.9 Liter magnum V8, Air Raid throttle body, Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer, K & N Cold Air Intake, oversized front anti-lock disc brakes, Performance Exhaust, Performance Exhaust tip, "straight piped"… Read Full Review

“Overall a reliable car towing capabilities are great I...”

Written on: 14/07/2008

Overall a reliable car towing capabilities are great I can haul a yukon on my trailer and Ford Focus (seperate). Good acceleration and torque. Stance very sturdy. Height is good for my off roading adventures… Read Full Review

“After reading the review on the Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT...”

Written on: 09/11/2005 by kd6wd1 (1 review written)

After reading the review on the Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT SUV by an earlier posting I felt obligated to comment. Sludge in the crankcase meant that the previous owner had never changed the oil in the vehicle. Blaming the vehicle for poor maintenance is silly at best. I have a 2004 Unlimited Durango with every bell and whistle you could ask for. All of these work extremely well, including the seat heater which we were not aware was installed.

We have the big hemi in ours. Mileage on the road is… Read Full Review

Michelle261999's Response to kd6wd1's Review

Written on: 07/12/2005

I'm sorry but I don't believe you that this is the case.
My 2000 Dodge Durango has started flashing the check gauge light on, and then the oil pressure will drop from 40-50 down to 0, and the engine has been knocking.
My husband, or a shop, changes the oil every 3,000 miles, and I am having the same issues with the sludge in the engine, and if you go to this website, you will see that there are many more, http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/dodge_dur_oil.html
Also, if you do a google search on 'sludge Durango' you will find pages upon pages of unhappy owners who are having the same problem.

Kd6Wd's Response to kd6wd1's Review

Written on: 16/12/2005

Sorry you disagree with my comments michelle. However I have a newer Durango and my comments accurately describe my experience. My mechanic has the following info. Many of the Durangos that were sold by various government agencies in your year never had the oil changed. They just added as oil as required and most were sold just before the warranties expired with a quick oil change. However in many cases the dummies failed to change the oil filter. He pulls the oil filter before he quotes on repairs. If it is totally clogged and has bypass areas forced into the oil filter, he advises his customers accordingly. In future, check the vehicles history before you purchase a used one. Be especially cautious if the vehicle was owned by a city, county or federal agency.

“We bought our Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT SUV used with...”

Written on: 24/08/2004 by lyonscampbell (1 review written)

We bought our Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT SUV used with 39,000 miles. Changed the oil every 3,000. The engine was around 55,000 miles I lost all oil pressure and was stranded on the side of the road. The oil turned to sludge. It burnt on the pick up screen to the oil pump. Luckely my engine was ok but I had to replace the oil pump $650.00. After a little research I have found that many dodge engines 99-03 have this problem. Many not so lucky had to replace entire engine $3,000 - $6,000 Dodge has… Read Full Review

270240_Partybob15's Response to lyonscampbell's Review

Written on: 10/12/2006

What brand of oil did you use?

“We bought our Durango used in 2000 as a second owner. ...”

Written on: 26/04/2004 by commonsense04 (1 review written)

We bought our Durango used in 2000 as a second owner. We've been nothing but satisfied with it and would recommend it to anyone who's prepared to spend the extra money on gas. Ours had the big 5.9, but I've talked to others who owned the smaller V8 and it evidently doesn't do much better on fuel. It does not lack for power whatsoever. I've towed a 10' Cargo Trailer with a 4 Wheeler and other cargo in it up hills on the Interstate like it wasn't even back there. I've towed my 26' Camper… Read Full Review

Terry12345's Response to commonsense04's Review

Written on: 17/02/2006

I love these SUVs, Bad for the environment and melting the ice caps but a seriouly nice drive