Suzuki Burgman 400 Reviews

Rear Brake: 210 mm hydraulic disc
Front Tyre: 110/90-13
Rear Tyre: 130/70-13

“it rocks i love it”

Written on: 21/05/2014 by ponch (1 review written)

this bike is the best .i had my bike for 3 years it is great , it runs real nie… Read Full Review

“What I like and don't like about the Suzuki 400cc...”

Written on: 02/11/2013

I like the auto transmission, solid state ignition, ABS brakes with 3 disk brakes, water cooling, fast start up, spacious storage under the adjustable seat with small built in backrest. the locking front compartment with an accessory plug for GPS or MP3 units. and the 2 smaller compartments. I like the simplicity of a drive belt instead of a chain. What I don't like is the difficulty to check the air in the tires and to add air. The disk brakes do not allow my hand between them and the wheel… Read Full Review

“2013 Burgman 400 L2”

Written on: 03/10/2013 by plonkers (6 reviews written)

Only downside i found was the running in ,In the handbook it states for the first 600 miles dont exceed 4000rpm this is near impossible as 4000rpm = 30mph and that speed on any main road is dangerous ,I pointed this out to Suzuki their reply:'We are sorry to learn that you are having some difficulties with regards to the recommended use for your new machine and we apologise for any dissatisfaction this may have caused 'Apart from this its a brilliant economical machine keep it around 60mph… Read Full Review

“tried my sons bought my own1”

Written on: 21/09/2013 by allenrkayaker (1 review written)

I had 4-5 bikes when i was 25 to 35 years old. Rode a friends Harley road king some. wanted my own bike but never had the extra money. at work a coworker was selling his wifes 2003 burg 400 and i mentioned it to my son. had 13k mi for $1200 he loves it. so one day i borrowed it and went on a local loop. northern calif mendocino coast. Lots ofcurves (hwy 20 has over 200)freeway, willits to ukiah, hills ukiah to booneville, more curves back to the coast and cold weather. incredible. handles the… Read Full Review

“K8 AN 400 Burgman”

Written on: 07/03/2013 by Niceberg (1 review written)

This has been my first automatic bike other than holidays scoots and I have to say it was well worth the money. Great milage, very comfortable and not a massive hassle to service yourself. If you really want these bikes to last, like anything, do the work yourself and spend the time getting to know the ins and outs. Just because the dealer did a service does not mean it will be in great shape as most dealers will take it for a spin and not even bother to do all the checks. 10,500 miles and the… Read Full Review

Jeanybutterfli's Response to Niceberg's Review

Written on: 03/05/2013

Hi
I had a burgy 250, got nicked and have been thinking about getting a 400 now, found a 2nd hand one with 10000 on the clock. Feeling like if I make this purchase I would like to travel long distances, never felt going 'far' comfortable on the 250. Would you recommend it?
Also never been good at understanding how to service the bike, and as a female rider I always feel like I'm getting ripped off at garages.. any tips, videos, help you might have for me? I would really appreciate it
thanks :)

Angelinaroberts's Response to Niceberg's Review

Written on: 14/06/2013

I've now ridden over 5,000km since I bought the Burgman in January. The only faults I've encountered have been the result of incorrect assembly (front wheel bearing). There are a few design faults that you need to be aware of.

“1999 burgman 400”

Written on: 06/01/2013

Bought this 3 months ago with 4500 miles on the clock. Have used for commuting and general use, and just returned from a 1500 mile, 6 day camping round trip to South of France. My brother took his HD Night train and the Burgman managed to keep up with no probs. (I have a Road King but left it in the garage on this occasion) Carried everything I needed, with top box and expandable panniers. Fantastic little scoot! The only critisismn is the limited suspension, you can feel all of the bumps and… Read Full Review

Tommybaynes's Comment

Written on: 07/06/2013

I can't agree more! I love my 1996 Burg 400. It is a pleasure to ride. They deserve more respect from the motorcycle groups imo. It is as much a motorcycle as most of the "real" bikes on the road.

“I LOVE THE BURGMAN !!!!!”

Written on: 29/09/2012 by mikeyb1958 (1 review written)

I bought one recently and I must say they do become addictive...My model is the AN400X year 2000... What I like is that its the carburettor model so there is less to go wrong !!! Its very comfy to ride and has enough power to get you out of trouble. The build quality is excellent and I do feel safe riding it. At over fifty years of age I am one of those bikers who has just got back into motorcycles so I feel that I have made a good choice in the Burgman.. The only real negative is not having… Read Full Review

Zekethewonderdog's Response to mikeyb1958's Review

Written on: 11/11/2012

I have had 9 bikes this yr A Silver Wing 600, A Helix, Aspnecaid, 2 750 Shadows, The Silver Wing was top heavy all I 2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500 nice scoot , Getting parts was all most inpossiable, Changing the oil it was a nite mare, Draine Plus was above the center stand, Had to rig a funnel with a hose to catch the oil in a pan, The oil filter has a metal piece that only a small part of the filter is exposed, Never did get it changed,, It had the Tall Givi windscreen Whice the wind would blow you all over the road, so I wanted a 400 Burger found a 2008 with 4500 miles on it, Traded the aprilia on it, Rode it 250 miles on 11-10-12, Best riding scoot I ever owned, 66 mpg, And rode it 70-75 mph, I am 6 ft 4 in 200 lbs and it was comfortable ride, Love it, Wish I had bought one sooner, Way to go Burgman,

Tommybaynes's Response to mikeyb1958's Review

Written on: 07/06/2013

Ha! sorry I meant 2006....

“Low Miles per Gallon?”

Written on: 16/08/2012 by asinrome (1 review written)

Hi, I bought my Burgman 400 in Dec 2011, it now have 2386 miles on the clock. I have to say that so far I'm happy with the bike, I call it the 'mule' because it's very practical, you can load it and go anywhere almost like a car. Lately I noticed that its fuel consumption increased; last time i filled it it was at 2356 miles, now I'm at 2386 miles and it guzzled up a gallon. I've been riding in London, cruising or overtaking, regular stuff basically. Is that normal? Can anyone share mpg info here… Read Full Review

“Worst bike ever”

Written on: 16/05/2012 by Richardireland93 (1 review written)

In 2009 I wanted to upgrade from my Vespa gt 200 on which I had done 24000 miles of London commuting. So foolishly I looked to the Japanese bike market. After much searching I decided on a Suzuki Bergman 400. Big mistake. I bought it brand new, have just completed 12000 miles and have spent over £1000 on 2 new clutches. Brilliantly Suzuki say its wear and tear, really? 2 clutches v none for 24000 miles on my vespa. Still mine is not to reason why. The MD of Suzuki Motorcycles has still not… Read Full Review

Motorman08's Response to Richardireland93's Review

Written on: 19/05/2012

That's unfortunate, but just so there is no confusion, there is no clutch problem with the later models. During 2007-2009 the clutch was changed to improve an overheating problem. This mainly caused judder and faster clutch wear. This only partially worked but most of the bikes out there now of that period are modified with the later clutch. That may be why at that time there was a waiting list for clutches. From the k9 onwards the clutch and transmission had a new cooling duct and heavier duty clutch. This solved the issue.

Guest's Response to Richardireland93's Review

Written on: 21/06/2012

Sounds like you were unfortunate with your purchase.
I have owned a 2000 AN400 for just over a year, buoght second hand.
I have used it constantly throughout the winter months as well as the so called summers and it has been faultless. It passed its MOT without a single advisory and it has never skipped a beat despite sitting out in the rain day after day. Thank goodness for all the plastic bodywork keeping the damp out of the engine.
I really cannot speak highly enough about this bike. I have owned traditional large bikes and now having ridden one of these Burgmans, I would never go back to a conventional bike. The weather protection is phenomenal. I have never arrived wet inside despite our wonderful weather.
I don't think I would ever buy new though. I would let someone else have all the teething problems first and buy one a year or two older.
I would like to upgrade to a 650 Burgman one day but for now I am happy with my little 400.
Phil

“Great scooter!”

Written on: 10/05/2012

Had my Burgman 400 for 5 months now. Great scooter! This is my 3rd one (updated through the years) and is the most comfortable ride. Compares to the S50 boulevard motorcycle as far as the ride. Love all the storage on this scooter!! I can put my huge 17" laptop under the seat with my helmet and jacket in there. Maneuvers excellent! Averaging 60 mpg which is coming out to only 6 cents a mile right now. Luckily haven't had to test the ABS, but that may have saved my last scooter if it had… Read Full Review

“good solid bike==fun to ride”

Written on: 08/05/2012

good fun , rides soft and easy… Read Full Review

“An 400 2011”

Written on: 12/04/2012

Just swapped a V Strom 650 for the burger and I love it .V Strom was nice but too tall and weight too high. The wieght of the burger is low and easy to manage. Not run in yet but it will be fine for all uses when it is .storage space is cavernous and practicle.this bike is the perfect cross between a bikes agilility and a cars practicality.after owning several bikes I think this will be a keeper. Sure it's no sportsbike but it's plenty fast enough for e veryday use. Servicing looks ok for the… Read Full Review

“Burgman 400Z ABS 2012 model”

Written on: 30/03/2012 by motorman08 (2 reviews written)

I've ridden several Burgman scooters, 400's & 650's. Both are good in everyway. But recently I swapped my Vstrom 1000cc Suzuki in for the new 400Z ABS model. "What!!" I hear you say. "That's a bit of a come down!". Well, not really. It's horses for courses of course, but having had many many motorcycles of all sizes over the years I'm more than pleased I've made the change. My model has ABS, handguards, heated grips, passenger backrest etc etc. It's not short on comfort or safety. It handles as… Read Full Review

“Review of my 08, K8, Burgman 400.”

Written on: 09/08/2011 by adam tilney (3 reviews written)

I've had my 2008 Burgman 400 now for about a month, I've covered about 500 miles and I really love it. My previous commuter was a Majesty 250, which was good but had major flaws, I.E power/size. (I'm 6ft4). But the Burgman cover's those 2 major issues with ease, for starters the legroom is huge, even with my 33" inseam I still have 2/3 inches before I get anywhere near the plastic glove box area. As for the power, it's not neck breaking like a sportsbike, but it'll give those 883 Harley's a run… Read Full Review

“I've owned a million bikes in my life & have ended up...”

Written on: 05/04/2011 by millermanartists (2 reviews written)

I've owned a million bikes in my life & have ended up with a 400cc burger as me & the Mrs tightened our belts a few months ago, got rid of 1 of the cars & I sold my Yam XT660X (which broke my heart) as it never got used really. I wanted something to get me to work & back in all weathers & this 400 burger came along with only 6000 miles on the clock & 1 old man owner etc. I've got to say I'm happy with it! It's fast enough, cheap to tax & insure & it's brill on fuel! My Mrs loves it as it's so… Read Full Review

Spookiewon's Response to millermanartists's Review

Written on: 04/05/2012

A million? REALLY? I don't even believe you've owned more than you can count and report. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Burgie, but your review would carry more weight if you said, for instance, "I've owned 7 (or 9, or 13...) motorcycles in my life..." rather than "I've owned a million..." since it would take more than 2700 years of buying a new bike every day to reach 1,000,000 motorcycles...

Burgerking1's Response to millermanartists's Review

Written on: 03/03/2013

Hey Spookiewon,
I guess your name says it all!! To have said that he has owned a million bikes is a figure of speech!! Why bother replying to a review if you dont have anything to say about the bike? I guess Im gonna upset you now and say that Ive also had a million bikes and I am currently in the process of buying a Burgman!! Thanks millermanartist for a great review !!

Millermanartists's reply to Burgerking1's Comment

Written on: 04/03/2013

Well it's nice to know there are still some 'normal' people out ther ha ha! Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post :-)

Millermanartists's Response to millermanartists's Review

Written on: 10/05/2012

Dear oh deary me.
Oh well , here goes -

Dear Spookiewon,
I'm sorry I said I'd owned a million bikes. I was trying to be funny I suppose? Obviously not.
It's good of you to work out that it'd take 'more than 2700 years of buying a new bike every day to reach 1,000,000' - Thanks for that.
I'm so glad I sold the Burgman! This explains why Real Bikers don't let on when passing - they probably think all Burgman riders are like you!
Remind me to invite you to my new year party so you can liven it up - NOT!!
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

“In the process of dealing with Suzuki in relation to...”

Written on: 14/12/2010

In the process of dealing with Suzuki in relation to my 4th clutch in 18 months!!!!

Burnt out..... paid £600. 17889 miles
Burnt out..... wrong clutch. 17990 miles
Burnt out..... reconditioned by Suzuki. 21504 miles (FREE)
Burnt out..... Suzuki not willing to help yet. 26680 miles

Hoping I can change my ratings but from looking at Suzuki and their after care on various websites.....I`ll reserve my judgement.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 16/11/2011

The Burgman 400 is automatic, and uses CVT variable transmission, so doesn't have a clutch.

Whatever bike you're riding, you probably just need to learn to stop riding the clutch.

Motorman08's Comment

Written on: 30/03/2012

Some of the earlier 2007/8/9 models had different clutches fitted to stop clutch squeal and deal with the extra power of the newer engine. It improved things but was not a complete success. The newer models are now ok now but require the occasional cleaning out of clutch dust from the clutch drum to avoid the squeal, and deglazing of the clutch pads. This is very very easy to do and many owner do it as part of every other service. It sounds as if you own a 2009 model perhaps. Ignore the other guest who posted about Burgmans not having a clutch. He obviously knows nothing about CVT!

“When asked to test a Burgie 400 against the Yamaha...”

Written on: 13/12/2010 by Black Bess (1 review written)

When asked to test a Burgie 400 against the Yamaha Virago 750 I jumped at the chance. The synopsis? On reaching a sensitive age, what bike should the silvered 'born again' rider aspire to. Well, usually the answer would be a Harley or lookalike cruiser. We had to tour for five days B&B around Aran and the west coast of Scotland in May. We had all the weathers; not a problem at all for the Burgman but a distasteful experience for the Yammy Cruiser. On the Isle of Arran, we changed over. I had… Read Full Review

“Bought a used Burgman 400 from a dealer in Chichester....”

Written on: 09/12/2010 by JockTheScot (1 review written)

Bought a used Burgman 400 from a dealer in Chichester. It tuned out to be a real heap. had nothing but trouble with this scooter from day 1. electrics/oil consumption.
Thankfully a car ran into it when it was parked up. It was written off due to damage to screen and plastic.
This allowed me to buy a used Honda Silverwing.
The difference is like night and day or very bad & excellent. Now on my 2nd Silverwing. Both have proved to be very reliable.
Honda dealership could also teach Suzuki dealer… Read Full Review

“I bought my K8 Burgman 400 in June of 09. I have since...”

Written on: 07/11/2010 by BurgmanBill48 (1 review written)

I bought my K8 Burgman 400 in June of 09. I have since added a 52 litre GIVI topcase, a GIVI windshield (enormous difference), a crampbuster throttle control, and body deflectors. I highly recommend this scoot for local or highway riding.It has plenty of power, and with extra padding the seat is tolerable over distances. The drawbacks I found were the pitiful horn, too short windshield, and slab hard seat. My Helix seat is a dream in comparison. I did my homework before purchasing, and came up… Read Full Review

“Was using a naked hornet 600 to do a 120 round trip...”

Written on: 26/10/2010

Was using a naked hornet 600 to do a 120 round trip the bike was as new and i did not want to waste it as a work horse so got a cb500with full fairing.Got offered this burgman 400 and thourght i will give it a shot, It was so good it is my only bike now,I am 41yrs old still like to go nuts and it can be done on this 400 SCOOTER. Do not knock them till you try one. VERY GOOD MPG,SITS AT 95MPH REAL SPEED, AND LIKE SITTING IN A NICE CHAIR WATCHING THE WORLD GO BY… Read Full Review