Piaggio Zip Reviews

Piaggio Zip - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Piaggio Zip

Piaggio Zip
Piaggio Zip

“piaggio zip 50cc 2 stroke”

Written on: 29/09/2013 by michaeldumplins (1 review written)

bought the little zip for my son to get to collage on, it was cheap and didnt run correctly and had been standing in chaps garden for a couple of months, i just managed to ride it home where a full service was done and new exhaust and rear tyre were fitted,the reason for the poor running turned out to be a gummed up main jet in the carb. Then off for its MOT which it passed. all this was 5 months ago since then it has not missed a beat, starts first or second kick, handles well and is a great… Read Full Review

“superbly reliable”

Written on: 10/04/2013

I purchased my 2009 50cc 4T zip 3 years ago now as an alternative to the bus after moving to a town from the country. I have been riding bikes for 25 years plus and currently also own a CBR600RR and TDM850. When it's raining or when i cant be bothered to put on the full gear necessary to take out one of the big bikes - out comes the Zip, starts first time summer or winter, sips fuel as often as a camel requires water, under-seat storage of the Friday night take away (including the regulation 4… Read Full Review

“Good Overall”

Written on: 12/01/2013 by gorgonqueen (1 review written)

Purchased my bike secondhand but it was less than a year old. Had a couple of problems with it, possibly from the neglect of the previous owner. Its a nice bike to ride, especially for someone short,old and female like me. The button start doesn't always work and I have had to kick start it once or twice, which provided great entertainment for my neighbours. Has a bit of a squeak sometimes but overall a great little bike I would recommend to anyone. Chose it because I did my CBT on it and liked… Read Full Review

“Did not like at all”

Written on: 11/08/2012 by Shadowgirl07 (1 review written)

I took my CBT on this bike and it's OK but to me the throttle seemed too sensitive for my liking. You can get a lot of mileage out of the bike and the braking is good. The seat was comfortable and the wheels were a good size. I found the bike very hard to put on the stand compared to other bikes that I have tried and strained my arms for days trying to do so. Owning this bike made me very apprehensive about getting a bike for myself as I fell off this one quite a lot. I went ahead and bought a… Read Full Review

“Zip....an excellent choice”

Written on: 09/05/2012 by Gubbe (1 review written)

Bought my new Zip 50cc 2t five weeks ago. In that time, visiting my Dad in hospital, I have done over 690 MILES (over 1100km's.) I lived all my youth in Rome, riding numerous 50cc Guzzi's, Morini's, Bennelli's etc. I then moved onto 250, 350 and 750's. Having had a heart problem in January this year and not commuting anymore, I sold my Yamaha XV535 and saw the Zip. At £1370 onr and with the same new type engine as the larger Piaggio ranges, amazing value at £1000 less than them! At my… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to Gubbe's Review

Written on: 05/06/2012

Hi there. Thanks for your input on the piaggio.

I really hope you respond to this mail. I'm want to buy either a piaggio zip 50 or piaggio zip 100. Have been told that the max speed of piaggio zip 50 is around 50kph. Then i have been told by a private seller his piaggio zip 50 runs at 80kph on a flat road. The piaggio dealer tells me that only the piaggio 100cc can reach this speed!

Who to trust?

Please help!

Thanks emandbuds@yahoo.com

Gubbe's reply to Guest's Comment

Written on: 16/02/2013

Sorry I have been so busy. Hope you bought the Zip 50 and saved money. My derestricted 50 does 40mph / 65kph. Your private seller said 80kph....in his 'made up world.' ( To be polite ) When need a new exhaust will get sport one giving 50mph / 80kph but that's it for me. Would love 70cc kit but totally illegal and police checking scooters all the time. Don't want mine confiscated and crushed. Safe riding. Gubbe

Gubbe's Response to Gubbe's Review

Written on: 16/02/2013

Just an update. I have now covered 6600 miles in 10months and the Zip going fine. Only problem was when I had to put cheap mineral oil in as was stranded far from home. It blocked the exhaust port and the bike lost 90% power running at 10mph !
ONLY use 100% synthetic oil. This week had new Michelin SM100 rear tyre fitted.....so much better than the Chinese factory fitted one. Bike easily does 40mph and when need a new exhaust will get a sport one fitted to give 50mph. Thought of 70cc conversion but illegal and 65mph too much for this bike.
Great little bike...does "exactly what it says on the tin" as they say. Safe riding. Gubbe

“Piagio Zip”

Written on: 14/04/2012 by kengodridge (1 review written)

I purchased my Piagio Zip 3 years ago From new Just 3 years old and it has been off the road for the past 4 weeks waiting for a Coil Unit I am informed by my repairer that dealers do not have this part in stock I could undewrstand this if the Scooter was 10 years old ANY ADVISE ANYONE… Read Full Review

“Great buy”

Written on: 09/03/2012

I bought my used Zip 2 years a go. Have driven now about 6000 km without any major problems. This is an amazing machine; high quality (made in Austria with Italian parts), cool design and most important very reliable. My model is 4t and fuel consumption is laughable. Would recomend to everybody with sense of good taste and style! Only genuine Vespa can beat this… Read Full Review

“just bought 2 stroke 50cc zip £360 inc helmet gloves...”

Written on: 04/05/2011

just bought 2 stroke 50cc zip £360 inc helmet gloves and lock. great wee bike for scooting around. just been using it for 40 mile round trip to work without problem. im 22 stone and although i look ridiculous, i still get 78mpg! thats full throttle all the way and probably average 40-45 mph on a straight. it is not derestricted and has standard exhaust etc. It does loose power at times probably just needs a service!… Read Full Review

“I own a Piaggio Zip 50cc (2004). Its a 2 Stroke and i...”

Written on: 22/01/2011 by zwecker1993 (1 review written)

I own a Piaggio Zip 50cc (2004). Its a 2 Stroke and i have had the bike a year now. It is one of the best mopeds for value for money. I bought the bike for £550 with 3000km on it and it was still restricted. I bought a chrome Gianelli powerpipe and a set of 5.5g rollers and removed the restriction on the variator. The bike now does around 55mph on a flat and will push 60mph down a hill. Up a hill it will sit at 40mph but living in a town it is happy to weave round, through and ahead of traffic… Read Full Review

“Bought a piaggio zip 50 cc, at first loved the bike,...”

Written on: 01/12/2010

Bought a piaggio zip 50 cc, at first loved the bike, it looked cool and was zippy and quick around traffic. But then it developed a squeal or squeek occasionally when it started, took it back for a check up at the dealers and got accused of running it without oil!!!! like I would ignore the oil light, any more than I would ignore the petrol light. Many arguments later, I took the bike back for test run, for the first 2 weeks it was fine and then just started dieing while driving. you would be… Read Full Review

Zwecker1993's Comment

Written on: 22/01/2011

the squeaky or squealing is the belt slipping, it happens when they wear down, change it every 6000km and the sudden loss of power maybe down to petrol getting to engine, check fuel lines and clean carburettor. Also check air filter and air boxer for dirt and water getting into carb. I had exact same problems to you. The squealing is the belt definately and i would say that the petrol line is losse or leaking or blocked

Tavey69's Comment

Written on: 11/11/2012

Could be the oil pump belt(broken)had the same problem oil light on cuts out after 15-20minutes would cool down then start up again.

Scutty1980's Comment

Written on: 18/03/2012

hi there i have the 125cc piaggio liberty on a 53 plate and my bike keeps loosing power every few seconds and it feels like its going to cut out all the time allthough it has still got me from a to b i can nopw only get 30 mph out of it and it is still doing it.this is making me think i wont be getting from a to b much longer? if you did get the correct answer for this problkem will you please email me on leescutt @ ymail.com many thanks lee

Guest's Comment

Written on: 28/06/2011

you've probably sorted out the problem now but i had the same problem last week try getting the spark plugs changed, worked for me

Guest's Comment

Written on: 14/06/2011

No oil in the engine would cause it to seize so thats not happened for sure . A squeek rattle ect is virtualy impossible to diagnose over the internet. The cutting out , more likely to be iether a drop of water in the fuel bowl at the botto of the carb , their is a drain withe a single screw , so no need to strip down, or a fuel vent pipe.may be traped causing a vacume in the tank ,you could check this by undoing the fuel filler slightly and runnoing the engine revved up slightly for a minuite or so but dont ride it with he fuel cap loose

“The Piaggio zip 50 four stroke is my first bike and to...”

Written on: 05/11/2010 by danspeight (2 reviews written)

The Piaggio zip 50 four stroke is my first bike and to be honest wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
It has virtually only enough power for flat surfaces and as soon as you hit a hill your going to be going so slow you will almost be going backwards.
During the wet and windy winter weather this scooter will do you no justice, this is because:
. It probably won't start if it has been raining on it.
. If it does start you'll get to the first set of lights or junction and it will die and you will not… Read Full Review

“What can I say? This is a GREAT scooter for a 16 year...”

Written on: 26/10/2010

What can I say? This is a GREAT scooter for a 16 year old lad. Mines 2 stroke and is de restricted with a performance air filter and a leo vince tt exhaust. This ped will top around 50mph on a straight and on a hill the other day I got 59mph. (I didnt realise it was a 30mph limit at the time but shush). Accelration on mine is weird, on a cooler engine it will accelrate great, high revs then even higher revs. It will quite easily beat cars off the line. However, on a hotter engine the revs will… Read Full Review

“6 months ago, I bought my piaggio zip 4 stroke, second...”

Written on: 24/10/2010

6 months ago, I bought my piaggio zip 4 stroke, second hand. I bought the bike for 500 pounds, I am pleased to say, the scooter is incredible, in a vast selection of ways:

The positives: 100 miles to the gallon, acceleration is good, when riding the bike it is incredibly comfortable, lots of under-seat space, cheap on maintenance, tax/mot are very cheap, the build quality is exceptional, very quiet when driving as it is a 4 stoke engine, also incredibly reliable, starts first time!

It is… Read Full Review

“I got a zip sp for 350 and it the engine seazed in a...”

Written on: 06/09/2010

I got a zip sp for 350 and it the engine seazed in a week. Luckily i got an air cooled unit fitted and de-restricted for 250. Now it accelerates and whizzes up to 40 where its stopped by a standard exhaust. Its a buzzy ride at top end that keeps you on edge by being bumpy and dangerously soft at the same time. The handling is light and precise but doesnt feel safe at higher speeds. Its got a glove box which is handy for nothing apart from glove because its small. The boot is big but has a seat… Read Full Review

“Piaggio Zip 100cc ”

Written on: 14/08/2010 by moshpotpaul (1 review written)

Piaggio Zip 100cc
Pros:
Very economical - Cheap and 7 litres of petrol got me, a 17 stone guy, 100 miles (give or take)
Comfortable standard seat.
Cheap (mine cost me £650)
42.5mph speed limit (30 uphill,50 downhill)

Cons:
Prone to malfunctions - Not expensive to fix, but incredibly irritating when you 'need to use it now'.
Kick start NEVER works.
Doesn't idle very well, doesn't like stopping at traffic lights in winter.

I got my Piaggio Zip 4-stroke 100cc about a year ago, just in time for… Read Full Review

“all my friends thought it was funny me buying a 2010...”

Written on: 09/06/2010 by kieran massey (1 review written)

all my friends thought it was funny me buying a 2010 paiggio zip for 1200, but after I got it derestricted, I got 50 down the duel carriageway down a slight hill. I put a technegas sports exhaust with light polini rollers and i got just over 60, put off the line not many 50s can keep up. It looks great in white but it gets little marks easy.

“i think that the piaggio is a bad ped and shouldnt be...”

Written on: 28/05/2010

i think that the piaggio is a bad ped and shouldnt be sold because it is monkey metal and cheap and basically not good enough, my mate has one but he looks like h i t l e r so that says it all basically ,'dont buy one'… Read Full Review

“I bouoght a black one brand new $3000 all up with...”

Written on: 16/04/2010

I bouoght a black one brand new $3000 all up with helmet and back carry case (highly recommended) for gym clothes or some groceries. It is very quick - mine goes 60 up a hill and down 70k. Mine is probably restricted too. Its really something to be proud of - I goto work and it saves me a couple of hours a day waiting for bus's that never come.

Also - can hold my big jumper, gym clothes, work bag and groceries if you squeeze - also grocery bag holder is a plus and glove box.

Scooter Scooter… Read Full Review

“this ped is awsome piaggio is the best and will always...”

Written on: 07/03/2010

this ped is awsome piaggio is the best and will always outrun other bikes im 16 and i ride the piaggio zip rs 50cc and its that good it gives me a hardon its brilliant round bends handles well and is inexpensive on fuel.
my ped is kitted out with a race exhaust and beat an aprillia sr50 with 70 kit, speedfighter 3 rs with 70kit and a mt50 crosser with a 70kit and also thrashed a piaggio nrg power with pipe and 70kit

amazing bike and so far no problems… Read Full Review

“terrible 4 beakdowns in 4 months, disgusting, then...”

Written on: 28/02/2010

terrible 4 beakdowns in 4 months, disgusting, then garage keeps it, say they fixed it, and you get f.ed three weeks later, cannot start the bike, at a green light, in the main street. it looks nice but does not work, consumed lots of petrol… Read Full Review