Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw Reviews

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“Very poor design”

Written on: 20/03/2013

I've owned one for a couple of years and it really is a terrible design - the chain comes off as another reviewer has said and it's a real pain to put back together. The tensioner design is a disaster and it really is poorly constructed. I would never touch one again… Read Full Review

Inholms's Comment

Written on: 26/02/2014

I agree. I really am quite shocked that Bosch could put their name to such a shoddy product. Every time I use it the chain comes off!

“ Bosch AKE 40-18S ”

Written on: 30/01/2011 by freesaxon (1 review written)

Bosch AKE 40-18S
I have used 2 stroke petrol chainsaws ( stihl ) they were good but noisy.
For : Ideal for remote working without mains power.
Against : Fresh 2 stroke mixture is required, quite heavy, noisy,can be prone to carb, starting problems.
By comparison the Bosh chainsaw is almost silent, yet powerfull, the anti kick back chain blade cuts effortlessly.
As with any chainsaw let the blade do the work, dont force the cit and you will be OK.
Is the mains cable a problem ?
NO,when… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“I've owned and used one of these for about 3 years...”

Written on: 14/11/2010

I've owned and used one of these for about 3 years now, it has successfully cut down and logged numerous trees (mostly conifers to a height of about 40') with no real problems. Tensioning the chain can be and is a pain to get right, but it does cut well once done. You must make sure that the oil level is always toped up as the last bit does seem to get used quickly (shape of resevoir). It is light and easy to use but you have to remember to make sure that you keep the cable free IF it snags… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“I have 5 chainsaws, including one of these. I...”

Written on: 01/10/2010

I have 5 chainsaws, including one of these. I actually think it's pretty good. My Stihl 023 is the daddy of the pack, but the electric Bosch is always there for backup. They are about equivalent in terms of torque. I did have to buy a new tensioner for it at one point, but I don't believe that will happen again now that I'm used to how it works properly. All in all, this really does trump the JCB/McCulloch petrol chainsaw that I've got, which is powerless, and a pain to maintain, and I… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“Great tool. Mine doesn't have the plastic gears that...”

Written on: 08/03/2010

Great tool. Mine doesn't have the plastic gears that one reviewer mentions. Yes the chain will come off if you don't read the instuctions. The chain tension has to be checked and tightened at frequent intervals as with any chain, even on a bike, they stretch with use. I found it would cut soft or hard wood to about 6" diameter quite easily. Of course it won't have the performance of a good quality petrol saw but its only supposed to be for light gardening work not lumbering. Much lighter than a… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“Dont buy this product,is only a toy compared with a...”

Written on: 18/02/2010

Dont buy this product,is only a toy compared with a petrol one.You have to be as careful with an electric saw as a petrol,each can be as dangerous.The fault i had with mine which was only nine months old was it went on fire when cutting a two inch branch.Through it in the bin and bought a petrol one which for me i find safer… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“The Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw is inexpensive,feels...”

Written on: 05/02/2009

The Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw is inexpensive,feels safer than a petrol saw. Construction is not really up to anything other than small softwood branches. The internal plastic drive gear is very poor design, mine has stripped twice when cutting only 150mm logs. I am surprised that such a basic design fault has not been rectified.
It was not possible to buy replacement parts direct from Bosch Service Dept,but were only obtainable through an independant dealer.
With hindsight I would… Read Full Review

Sarahcf's Comment

Written on: 03/03/2010

I found this review very helpful because...I'm in two minds whether to buy electric or petrol. Did think that petrol may be more robust so this review tends to confirm my view. Also concerned about potential of cutting through the electric cord!

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“For the price the Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw is a...”

Written on: 28/01/2009 by brokencatflapwetcat (1 review written)

For the price the Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw is a great garden tool for light logging & doestic use. Simple to set-up & chain tensioning is easy. New chain cuts very well - even an oak branch almost as thick as the bar length. It does feels a bit lightwieght & plastic… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“Would recomend this Bosch AKE 40-17 S saw as it works...”

Written on: 09/11/2008 by Wills49 (1 review written)

Would recomend this Bosch AKE 40-17 S saw as it works very well. I believe that the latest model has an improved chain tensioner… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“The Bosch AKE 40-17 S was a good choice for small...”

Written on: 14/10/2008

The Bosch AKE 40-17 S was a good choice for small domestic jobs. Doesn't feel as dangerous as a petrol saw. Used to cut old fence posts for firewood, and it has handled 6 inch posts with ease. A bit lightweight in conctrcution, but treat it with respect and it should last… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“I am having terrible problems with the chain coming...”

Written on: 11/10/2008

I am having terrible problems with the chain coming off my Bosch AKE 40-17 S, despite it being tensioned to the required level. Every time the chain comes off it takes small chunks of the plastic cover with it. The location lugs for the chain bar are too small and it is a fiddly job putting the thing back together every time the chain comes off. I would definitely not recommend this product and having borrowed a McCulloch petrol chainsaw to finish the job I bought the Bosch for I truelly… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“Ive used many petrol chain saws and recently had...”

Written on: 01/06/2008

Ive used many petrol chain saws and recently had trouble starting my Makita 103 saw which I have been using to cut up firewood. Since I live in a built up area I decided to get something that would be more quiet and read about electric saws. Hence I went out and got one and was amazed how well it worked!!… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“Very good for the average garden job. I have used it...”

Written on: 19/01/2008 by minimad (1 review written)

Very good for the average garden job. I have used it to even fell trees. A very good tool for the gardener ,handyman. It is of course electric therefor you are rather limited… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“The method used to hold the chain and tighten it is...”

Written on: 07/09/2007 by ggeoff (1 review written)

The method used to hold the chain and tighten it is poorly designed on the Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw. What should be an excellent product is, in this case, made worthless by the weakness in this key area… Read Full Review

Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw

“I purchased a top brand chain saw twenty years ago and...”

Written on: 02/05/2005 by colinhansen68 (1 review written)

I purchased a top brand chain saw twenty years ago and the chain that came with it was rubbish but you could buy a decent one. It appears it is the same with this Bosch AKE 40-17 S Chainsaw. Probably do not be put off by this, as all small electric and petrol chain saws may be the same.

I suppose they say it is only a home use one and it does cut palm trees perfectly. Hard trees is another thing.

I purchased it at Bunnings at Carseldine, Brisbane, Australia but they do not have spare… Read Full Review

Colinhansen68's Response to colinhansen68's Review

Written on: 02/07/2005

Further to my initial comments, I have now purchased an Oregon chain. The local mower shop made it up for me while I waited. It is a 57 link Mini Picco but take your old one to the mower shop to be sure. The new chain cuts even hard timber like butter. I have done quite a bit and the chain is still like new. I unblocked the oil "hose" by lightly screwing a small drill bit in. Be careful, as this would not be recommended by the manufacturer, because if you go too far I suspect you would cut the rubber hose. Compressed air from both ends did not unblock it.
<br>I am using an oil can regularly to keep my chain good. As I do not use it much, this is not a problem.
<br>
<br>Putting on the chain is a breeze when you have worked out how to do it so overall with the new chain I would give it 10 out of 10.
<br>
<br>From my experience with Bosch tools, they seem to be better than other tools but the chain on the chain saws would be made to a price to match the other cheap saws. The Bosch drills are also brilliant with the way you undo the chuck. It is different to all other drills and much better.
<br>
<br>Bosch did not tell or pay me to say this.
<br>Col Hansen

242040_Bpatel's Response to colinhansen68's Review

Written on: 09/05/2006

Try here the chains are £13.00.