Umax Astra 1200s Reviews

• Ease of Set Up

Umax Astra 1200s - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Umax Astra 1200s

Umax Astra 1200s

“I love this scanner, but I could not get it to work on...”

Written on: 04/02/2008 by morkys (1 review written)

I love this scanner, but I could not get it to work on my MSI Neo2 Platinum motherboard and AMD64 CPU based system. I tried too different PCI scsi cards and it won't work. Nevermind drivers, the PC itself won't even see the scanner upon boot-up. This was back in 2005. It's now 2008 and I am going to upgrade my PC again to another motherboard and CPU and see if through some fluke I can get it to work again.

This scanner isn't super fast, but it works really really well. Good quality scans… Read Full Review

Umax Astra 1200s

“I bought my Umax Astra 1200s in 1997, hsd lots of...”

Written on: 11/09/2003 by matbot (1 review written)

I bought my Umax Astra 1200s in 1997, hsd lots of problems with specific DLL on win 9x, but NT/2000 solved it, and works fine
now i bought new motherword without ISA connector, so i changed it, but it still works fine after 6 years !… Read Full Review

Umax Astra 1200s

“FAILED AT THE ONE YEAR MARK”

Written on: 20/06/2003 by PV. (1 review written)

FAILED AT THE ONE YEAR MARK… Read Full Review

Umax Astra 1200s

“The Umax 1200S is sort of a perplexing machine. I've...”

Written on: 23/02/2003 by Erik Smith. (1 review written)

The Umax 1200S is sort of a perplexing machine. I've had it since it was new, and much though I'd like to upgrade and save the space this thing takes up, it's much too good to junk. The thing worth noting here, five years after I bought the thing, is that it provides better image quality than many of the lower-level scanners on the market today. I was so satisfied with the image quality on this scanner, for instance, that I decided to buy another Umax unit -- the 4400. But when I compared scans… Read Full Review

116641_Phil.'s Response to Erik Smith.'s Review

Written on: 18/07/2003

DO U KNOW WHERE I GET PCI CARD FOR UMAX ASTRA 1200S

116809_Erik Smith.'s Response to Erik Smith.'s Review

Written on: 18/07/2003

Basically, any PCI SCSI card will work with this machine. Nowadays all PCI SCSI cards seem to be set up for SCSI-2, and the machine requires a SCSI-1 cable, but you can get an adapter that will allow you to plug a SCSI-1 cable into a SCSI-2 card.
<br>
<br>Some tweaking may be neccessary to make such a SCSI card work in a typical system, because the card that I purchased and the "sound blaster emulation" component of my sound card both insisted on using IRQ 5. I don't know if this is true for all SCSI cards, but man, what a headache!
<br>
<br>However, let me add something to this review that may change your perspective on the matter. Since I posted it, the world has moved on, and now there are better-quality USB scanners available for about $50 -- little more than the cost of the SCSI card and adapter (which cost me about $40). The scanners in the Epson 1200 and 1600 series are available as remanufactured units on eBay right now (July 2003) for about $50-$70. Images are much sharper than the UMAX 1200S, even when the same dpi resolution is used; the available dpi resolution is higher; the colors are truer to the original; the machines are faster (and if you spring for the 1660U, around $110 for remanufactured, $150 new, you get a 35 mm film adapter and fast USB 2.0 speed). So now there really is no reason to retain a UMAX 1200S if you have to buy a new card in order to make it work -- unless you absolutely have to have the legal-size capability, which the Epson lacks.
<br>
<br>Frankly, my opinion on the 1200S has changed, and I have to say that it was a good scanner in its day, but its day now is done.
<br>Hope this helps,
<br>Erik Smith
<br>Whittier, CA

Umax Astra 1200s

“These scanners are not exactly the fastest things you...”

Written on: 18/02/2003 by Andy. (1 review written)

These scanners are not exactly the fastest things you can buy but they do the job a lot better than most of the industrial scanners that I have used. Easy to install, Easy to use, great quality descreens. Fantastic scanner… Read Full Review

Umax Astra 1200s

“I purchased my 1200S three or four years ago. It has...”

Written on: 23/12/2001 by Xyique. (1 review written)

I purchased my 1200S three or four years ago. It has been working fine. I wouldn't know if it is slow or noisy because it's the only one I have owned. It does seem slow.

I haven't used it a whole lot and it is, or was, in mint condition until yesterday when it went south on me. The power converter went dead and I had to replace it with a Radio Shack model. The scanner's Mfgr. wanted $ 26. just to take a phone call for a simple question.

After replacing the converter, it makes a bad… Read Full Review

Umax Astra 1200s

“This is an older flatbed 26 bit color scanner. This...”

Written on: 20/05/2001 by Huer. (1 review written)

This is an older flatbed 26 bit color scanner. This scanner has been around for a while and has been used alot. It's slow but it meets my needs. I would prefer a newer unit, but this one works ok, and if I got a new one it would be USB and I would have this expensive SCSI card doing nothing. I do not know how much this scanner cost when it was new, because I got it for free. UMAX, I have been told, is a very good name brand. Yeah, I would recommend this unit- if you found one for cheap… Read Full Review