Glen Jakes Stockport Reviews

Glen Jakes Stockport - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Glen Jakes Stockport

Glen Jakes  Stockport
Glen Jakes  Stockport

“Great Riding school for everyone ”

Written on: 18/10/2014 by Raidenu459 (1 review written)

I ride at glen jakes and I have to say, it is an amazing riding school. The staff are all friendly and helpful, the instructors are all brill and the horses are lovely. All the staff know all the horses and riders very well. I would definitely recommend this amazing riding school to anyone from complete beginner to advanced, from 4 years old to 50+ . There is also an indoor viewing area with drinks and snacks available to buy which is very handy for when the weather isn't at its best and there… Read Full Review

“Excellent riding school”

Written on: 05/12/2013

I have ridden at many places before (reddish vale, carrington) and nothing compares to glen jakes. Warm and welcoming staff, amazing lesson and a good variety of horses. Lesson are affordable, fun and teach more than a years worth of riding a reddish vale ever did! Ignore the bad comments- just not horsey people being petit . The horse are treated very well, just not the cleaness yard I've been to but we are talking about horses here!!! Don't bother going to reddish vale as they are very petit… Read Full Review

“Experianced rider says its brilliant! ”

Written on: 26/07/2013

I am 18 years old and have been riding horses since the age of 6. I first learnt to ride horses at Glen Jakes Ridding school, a place where I had enjoyed many parties, and wished to commit to riding horses and pursue it. Around 2002, when I was 6 I started to ride there weekly in 30 minute lessons. I never felt intimidated- although a shy child- and felt as though I could progress and move up levels at my own pace. after a few months of going to the riding school the staff knew me and my mum… Read Full Review

“dont take notice of bad reviews on here!”

Written on: 08/05/2013

I have just started having lessons at glen jakes after having lessons in many other schools,I am an experienced rider and the last school I went to I felt I didnt learn anything but at GJ I learn constantly. The horses are well kept and staff are very friendly. I think the busyness of this school speaks for itself you have to book way in advance to get in as they are teaching flat out. If you are a experienced rider or if you actually want to learn a d progress and not just walk around a… Read Full Review

“A Mum with a gut Instinct!”

Written on: 14/10/2012 by Rachael113 (1 review written)

My son has been looking after ponies at an RSPCA approved animal sanctuary for a couple of years, and I would say is clued up on the welfare and how a pony should be kept, unfortunately he was unable to ride at the sanctuary, so when it came to lessons, we looked on line for riding schools close to our home, we knew about Glen Jakes, but didnt actually know anyone who had ridden there, so we were open minded . Choosing the nearest school wasnt an option, Ponies are unpredictable, and Im… Read Full Review

“i love it”

Written on: 24/08/2012

glen jakes riding school is grait thes staff are frendly the horses are nice and i love riding there . there is a lot of things you lern and you can get up to a very hi standard with pony club/ lessons / stable manigemant and lots moor… Read Full Review

“Would totally recommend to all my friends!”

Written on: 15/03/2012

I recently attended this riding school after finding the offer on the groupon website, being an older person and riding when I was younger, I decided I wanted to get back in the saddle, and this school was perfect! All the staff went out of their way to help me, and the instructor I had was kind and considerate, especially as I was a little nervous! the horse I rode was also great, really knew his job, and a real confidence giver... I will definitely be back to see them all soon!… Read Full Review

“How disappointing. Leave well alone. ”

Written on: 12/10/2011

When looking for a new riding school to attend regularly I was delighted when a Groupon voucher came through for Glen Jakes. However, I have been totally disappointed with everything about my experience with them. From no welcome on arrival, no personal service, being given an overweight and very lazy horse having specifically requested to ride a forward-going horse, to the ridiculousness of their Groupon voucher rule that you can have the first of two lessons now then you have to wait until… Read Full Review

Bekii10's Comment

Written on: 02/11/2011

Couldnt agree more with this review!
try mill farm or b1st, i have been to both and rate them very very highly!

Written on: 11/05/2012

and by the way, there is no such thing as a "bhs level 4 qualification". lol.

Horselover22's Comment

Written on: 16/03/2012

Yes, that comment probably came from one of the children that work there. One of their non qualified teaching staff or unpaid helpers.
I rode there and it was atroscious!! The place is dangerous, there's a bad atmosphere there, the staff are arrogant and the poor horses are miserable. I was also accused of not being able to ride, even though I have ridden for many many years and have a BHS Level 4 qualification;-)
Stick with Carrington hun, its Top!

Written on: 16/03/2012

Thanks for the recommendations. I have now tried Carrington and it is fantastic, couldn't be more different from Glen Jakes. I think their snide response to the review says it all about them really. As I have ridden for 20 years and competed in show jumping and cross country, i was able to get their lazy overweight horse eventually but it was not enjoyable in the least!

Horselover22's Comment

Written on: 15/03/2012

Couldn't agree with you more, Glen Jakes is appalling. Try Carrington or Croft Top @ Oldham. Both BHS approved, friendly, down to earth yards. Reeseheath also sends its equine students to Croft Top so it has to be good!!

Written on: 17/12/2011

the reason we give you lazy horses is that you think you can ride when you actually cant. and a good rider would have been able to get the horse going forward.

“how this school has a licence is besides me...”

Written on: 15/09/2011

So, this riding school is possibly the worst I have been too and I have been to mill farm, bank farm, b1st, dean valley and hargate hill. And how this school really has a license is beyond me. When I arrived for my lesson I whitnessed a girl boot a horse in the ribs several times, horses tied up in stalls and was told they have been there all day, horses being completely over used and overweight. The staff were all rude and didn't even welcome, it is clearly based on profit and not the learning… Read Full Review

Written on: 16/03/2012

Thanks for the recommendations. I have now tried Carrington and it is fantastic and couldn't be more different from Glen Jakes. I think their snide response to the review says it all about them. I have ridden for 20 years and competed in show jumping and cross country and while I did manage to get their lazy, overweight horse going eventually, it wasn't enjoyable!

Written on: 20/04/2012

im reluctant to reply to this as it is such a ridiculous post but I think its incredible that someone would defend an organisation they have no experience of. Very strange. Its a terrible riding school and I don't need to defend my riding skills to confirm that this is an awful establishment. Whether you are a novice or an experienced rider i would stay away. I find it amazing that someone would question the riding ability of a complete stranger and it begs the question about their motivations. I just wish that everyone could ride happily not abuse others for sharing an experience.

Written on: 19/04/2012

Ridden in show jumping and cross country.... hmm.... to what level was that then?! and by the way, im nothing to do with glen jakes, i live in wales. i just sympathise with them because i know what amateur horse-people are like!!!!!

“ ...”

Written on: 22/07/2011

i love glen jakes even though its a small stables. ive been riding for 5 monthes ther and had a few parties and im on level 3 already. i love all the staff and the horses especially tayha and buster (and if i could i would buy tayha)(or buster). the place is really nice. your luckey to own it even though its hard work. there is nothing that i dislike about it. i like the land and everything i lovelovelovelovelovelovelove it and the lay out and its got two paddocks and friendly horses. okay lets… Read Full Review

“I Love It!”

Written on: 09/07/2011

I love Glen Jakes. I've been riding there for 7 years, and I have no complaints about this riding school. The staff are all amazing, and are very considerate towards everyone and everyone's needs. The horses all have regular days off, and are looked after well, constantly having a supply of hay and water, with their required feeds given out at the correct time. If any of the horses are unfortunate enough to become lame, or ill, then they are treated well, and correctly, and are given the… Read Full Review

“Love the place! I take my son every Sunday. He attends...”

Written on: 27/04/2011

Love the place! I take my son every Sunday. He attends the special requirement class at 1.30pm. He always spends several hours there. It's so nice to see so many people learning while having fun. My son likes chatting to other families and the staff who always have time for him. The even gave him a rosette for his birthday. It's the highlight of his week… Read Full Review

“I was riding at Glen Jakes for two months and it was...”

Written on: 24/04/2011

I was riding at Glen Jakes for two months and it was awful.I didn't learn anything the instructors were on their mobiles the whole time.If I asked a question about how I was riding they just told me they didn't know.The horses are poorly looked after and they are in an awful state.All the staff were rude and I had a different instructor every week most of them were kids.Going there was a waste of time,effort and money… Read Full Review

Written on: 24/07/2011

When were you riding as I have never seen an instructor on thier phone during a lesson, the only time I have ever known this to happen is if they needed to contact the Office.

Would you be able to provide more information regarding this?

“Of all the riding schools I have been to , which is a...”

Written on: 21/04/2011

Of all the riding schools I have been to , which is a fair few, Glen Jakes is by far the most welcoming. It has lots of variety in both horses to ride and activity on offer. The staff are always busy, but never too busy to help. There is a warm viewing area where you can relax and watch lessons. I would recommend Glen Jakes to anyone… Read Full Review

“One word. Fun.”

Written on: 20/04/2011

One word. Fun… Read Full Review

“it is an awful place they dont look after the horses...”

Written on: 08/04/2011

it is an awful place they dont look after the horses properly and the stables are filthy... they never groom these poor horses. it is horrible i was riding there for 3 years and now i have had enough! i didnt learn anything new... the staff are young and dont know what they are doing! it is a waist of money !
it is ridiculous horrible some horses are too fat some are too thin. some they dont retire as they say " they dont want to " whatever how do they now that. stupid people
i hate the place… Read Full Review

Written on: 24/07/2011

From everything I have seen on the yard, all the horses live out in the fields, also some of the horses are semi-retired as some horses actually become stressed with the change in activities. If you have great concerns regarding the yard contact the owner: glenjakes@aol.com and she will take your concerns into account.

Written on: 01/09/2011

If it was so bad why were you there 3 years?

Written on: 28/07/2011

clearly cant have been that bad if you were riding there for three years...

“I have been at Glen Jakes at least once a week over...”

Written on: 05/03/2011 by Will90 (1 review written)

I have been at Glen Jakes at least once a week over the last six months. The instructors are great and they make sure you progress quickly. Good variety of horses which helps learning. 2 hour hacks are great fun for riders and the horses. Late opening until 9pm through the years is very convenient for me as I work late. Glen Jakes is well run, I like the fact the horses have a good life as they are kept in the fields rather than locked up constantly in a stable. All the staff are friendly… Read Full Review

“Profits are prioritised well above horses welfare at...”

Written on: 17/02/2011

Profits are prioritised well above horses welfare at Glen Jakes. They are overworked and not given the care they need. Standards are low, the horses don't appear to ever have straw down and always have their tack on. They need kicking on so much because they are all so tired. I would definitely consider other schools in the area before going to Glen Jakes… Read Full Review

“very nice and friendly riding school I was recommended...”

Written on: 03/02/2011 by shaun1234 (1 review written)

very nice and friendly riding school I was recommended by friend who currently takes his daughters there, i found the instructors always friendly and professional they know what they are taking about and are very careering. My Daughter used to be scared of horses but after a few lessons at glen jakes she has overcome her fear which has improved her confidence. although she is a beginner we will continue to go to there thank you glen jakes riding school. Shaun… Read Full Review

“I have been taking my 5yr old for nearly 2 years now...”

Written on: 30/01/2011

I have been taking my 5yr old for nearly 2 years now and she ADORES it.. the staff are lovely and friendly and professional !

The Yard is well kept and the horses are well looked after! :)

Highly recommended!!!! A****************