V Festival Reviews

• Food / Drink

• Amenities

• Atmosphere

• Quality Of Acts

Summary

Hylands Park, Chelmsford and Weston Park, Staffordshire.

V Festival - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for V Festival

V Festival

“Do not pay for luxury loos - total rip off”

Written on: 26/09/2013 by Rachel1980 (1 review written)

I paid £65 in total to use the luxury loos at weston park V festival for my sister and I for 2 days. We used them once because they were just constantly over crowded. There were 10 women toilets, a queue of over 45 mins at any time, the "attentive attendants" were stood around smoking not trying to help get the queue down. In the end we used the portaloos because there was no queue (max 5 mins) and not all that bad. I've complained to the organisers and they have ignored me which is… Read Full Review

“geting worse every year!!!”

Written on: 19/08/2013 by karen34 (1 review written)

since being a regular V festival goer since 97 ave watched it going down hill the past few years,,there far to many pop bands or diva's that its starting to feel like a smash hits type of festival not an indie festival & as for the cost of everything from parking to there beer tents is absolutely disgusting,, V sort this out before your festival will be just full of rich teeny poppers which seems you have no way of controling & you will lose all of us regulars who love & repect our… Read Full Review

“Why the hell can't the stewards organise the egress...”

Written on: 24/08/2010

Why the hell can't the stewards organise the egress from the car parks, as well as thew access. On leaving, we waited 1.5 hours to get out of the venue and travelled a mere 750 metres in doing so. Meanwhile, the stewards stood around in groups, completely oblivious to the traffic chaos around them… Read Full Review

“Anyone thinking of camping at this festival be...”

Written on: 23/08/2010

Anyone thinking of camping at this festival be warned!! There is the longest walk ever to the campsite. You may think that it wont be a problem but when you are carrying a tent,sleeping bags,beer and other amenities for 50min in the rain you may have wished that you had thought this over. Also tent spaces are limited so get there early. In the afternoon we spoke to people sat on their belongings as they could not find anywhere to pitch their tents.

There is nothing that really happens on the… Read Full Review

“not good value for Money. Not enough information...”

Written on: 23/08/2010

not good value for Money. Not enough information security staff and information points all lacking. Toilets ridiculous for the amount of people. I had access to posh loos (Joke) 30 min queue on average.
bands didn't enagage with the audience. Camping facilities a joke. Poor value for money… Read Full Review

“Having been to v festival since it started i used to...”

Written on: 23/08/2010

Having been to v festival since it started i used to love it, however, go to another big festival and you will see how they are supposed to be run, in my last year there (2009) i paid extra for the closer campsite which was 45 minutes walk away, there were barely enough water facilities for the campers (we spotted two water taps for about 50,000 campers) but thats okay because the ice cream vans seemed to be open all hours where you could purchase a small bottle for £3.50 a pop!!, the tents… Read Full Review

“I go to V every year and always really enjoy it but...”

Written on: 20/08/2008 by bubsy37 (1 review written)

I go to V every year and always really enjoy it but every year more people attend but the facilities do not increase - i.e massive queues for the toliets and huge queues for the bar. Next year please can we have a few more toliets and more bars - the bar by the JJB stage was very small for the amount of people in that area… Read Full Review

“V Festival was amazing, better than last year! Lets...”

Written on: 20/08/2008

V Festival was amazing, better than last year! Lets hope to see the phonics back there next year with the mighty Oasis… Read Full Review

“V Festival has some very good acts. Though you only...”

Written on: 30/06/2008 by johnheery (2 reviews written)

V Festival has some very good acts. Though you only two days of music. It's also very crowded and everything stops at midnight. Getting out of the arena is also hard. Overall, V is fourth behind glastonbury, leeds, and even pontins. … Read Full Review

“Good Bands, great atmosphere, but the amenities or...”

Written on: 15/11/2007 by kriskringle (1 review written)

Good Bands, great atmosphere, but the amenities or services could be improved but it's a festival I guess it's like this everywhere! It just wouldn't be the same would it… Read Full Review

“V was my first festival and it was sooooo good, best...”

Written on: 21/08/2007 by an11381 (1 review written)

V was my first festival and it was sooooo good, best time of my life (so far!)
Sounds like Chelmsford was the better crowd which meant the bands/artists committed more (going on reviews of the two different sites - I obviously wasn't at both!). The better the audience are the better the band, so when you watch a gig remember WOOP as loud as you can!
Wicked sweet time!
Seriously, if you're considering/doubting whether or not to go to your first festival, DO IT! Chances are you'll love it, but if… Read Full Review

Tania's Response to an11381's Review

Written on: 24/08/2007

Great review, I didn't go this year (gutted!) but you are so right about baby wipes!!! They rule when it comes to festivals. So who was the best band you saw then?

An11381's Response to an11381's Review

Written on: 24/08/2007

It'd be hard to say who was the best to be honest with you, there were a group who stood out completely for me. The killers (obviously!), Kasabian (who surprised me), P!nk was very entertaining and the audience was loving it, Unklejam deserved a longer set (they only had 30minutes but it was really memorable!), oh and the editors they were very good.... and Mark Ronson.... see? I can't do it! I can't narrow it down!
<br/>The Foo fighters were good, but they aren't my cup of tea, and I don't really know any of their songs so couldn't join in at all.
<br/>
<br/>And probably most impressive (for me) was a 'band' called Rodrigo y Gabriela, they are two mexican acoustic guitarist, just them on stage but my my what a noise! They were probably the surprise of the weekend. And they made you body shake (especially when you were as close to the speakers as I was!). I'd only gone to them because my friend's dad likes them!
<br/>
<br/>For me there was only one disappointment of the weekend and that was in the form of The Wombats, but they made up for it with Kill the Director (which they opened with....) which was amazing live, shame about the rest of the set though.

“I went to the past two V Festivals' at Stafford and...”

Written on: 03/08/2007 by Franky Baby (30 reviews written)

I went to the past two V Festivals' at Stafford and I'm due to go on my third in a couple of weeks. I think of all the festivals, V is a very corporate affair and there just doesn't seem to be a true festival vibe going on - it's more like they've tried to cram as many gigs as possible together and nothing more than that really... Saying that, as I mentioned earlier I am going again so it's not all bad. There's always a fantastic line up, and the weather was great in 2005. I've seen some… Read Full Review

“Well, that time of year flew around again, it didn't...”

Written on: 21/08/2006 by Clair (1 review written)

Well, that time of year flew around again, it didn't seem like yesterday coming back from V Festival, when I was so eager to learn that the pre released tickets were instantly on sale. After such a great line up last year I could hardly type my credit card details in fast enough in a quest for more of the same this year.

So now the morning after the weekend before and how do I feel - Disappointed and amazed at how they could get it so right last year and yet so wrong this time.

The line up to… Read Full Review

Mindy's Response to 182801_Clair's Review

Written on: 24/08/2006

Spot on really. While I liked the lineup a bit more than you - Morrissey is always lovely, Rufus Wainwright was perfect, Bloc Party, Art Brut (Top of the Pops!), Radiohead....there were so many organizational issues with this year&#039;s festival that it really put me off. The site was foul, there were not enough toilets - you should never have to queue for 30-40 minutes, I&#039;ve never had that happen, not at Glasto, not at Leeds, not anywhere. Queuing for an hour for bar tokens only to have to queue for another half hour for a beer is outrageous, the whole point of having the tokens is to make queuing for beer go quickly. They ran out of red wine by 8pm on Saturday, never had any Strongbow, so people waiting on Strongbow to arrive were slowing things down because staff couldn&#039;t serve people who wanted anything other than cider while they were standing around waiting on cider. The campsites were a joke - full up and the stewards wouldn&#039;t help you find a spot, even though it&#039;s their job! The toilets had 200+ person queues and didn&#039;t get cleaned out until after mid-day on Sunday meaning that only about 2% of them were usable on Sunday morning. Vile.
<br/>
<br/>Next, it&#039;s ridiculous that you should be expected to park your car, walk a mile or more with all your camping gear to the wristband exchange, and then walk back halfway to your car to a campsite and then walk around the campsite looking for a gap big enough for your tent. Why not do it like at Leeds or Summer Sundae where you can get into a campsite with a camping ticket, set up your gear and then go for a wristband? Or, maybe, set up the wristband exchange closer to the car parks? Why not organize the campsites better so only one is opened at a time and filled up, people are directed at where to camp and that way there&#039;s enough room for everyone who has paid for a camping ticket?
<br/>
<br/>Finally, the prices were outrageous. £10 for a programme, if you wanted to know the schedule as it was unavailable online still on Saturday morning when we set off. Why couldn&#039;t we have paid £5 for just the laminate? I didn&#039;t need a carrier bag and a magazine, I just wanted the timetable. Why not post the timetables up somewhere so people could see them? It was £5.50 for a jacket potato and I&#039;ve been told some food stalls were charging up to £7 for a burger and chips - this is burger vans too, not restaurant quality food. This after you&#039;ve paid up to £120 for a ticket plus £7 for parking (which is included in the ticket price at other festivals).
<br/>
<br/>We had a great time at V but only because the people were really friendly and everyone was making the best of a bad situation. There was nothing that the organisers did to make the festival good (barring booking Moz and Rufus), in fact it seemed they were doing everything they could to maintain their reputation for being money-grabbing, soulless corporate grunts trying to suck the life out of music and fun.

“This was not my first time at the V festival, but I...”

Written on: 21/08/2006 by Browny175 (1 review written)

This was not my first time at the V festival, but I just can not understand the cost of the whole thing. You can't take anything in with you, not even water.

I'm trying my best not to moan, but you queue endlessly for beer tickets, then for your beer, then for the toilets, and when do you get a chance to listen to the music - raaah! And if you're hungry, make sure you take a bank loan out for some minuscule amount of plop. Next year I'm watching it on TV… Read Full Review

Maelbaethe's Response to Browny175's Review

Written on: 22/08/2006

What was with the security? They were stopping people from leaving the arenas carrying beer in paper cups to their own tents!! In one tent (only a fraction filled) one guard went round telling everyone (even those sitting way at the back in the shadows) to stand up before the band came on! (We thought they were taking the mikey).

259179_45Lovers's Response to Browny175's Review

Written on: 11/09/2006

Apart from Keane was their anything else good? I also want to know if this year was different from the last time you went.

“The V - Stafford festival was my first festival in a...”

Written on: 13/03/2006 by Clair (1 review written)

The V - Stafford festival was my first festival in a long time, and boy was it a good one (the 10 year anniversary in 2005). It was easy to get to, and the parking was simple, although a bit far from the campsite, and I would recommend some sort of trolley to transport tents etc.

Our campsite was directly in front of the main stage which proved more than useful when we needed to use the toilets. The main arena was extensive, but the design made it feel very compact safe and cosy.

The bands… Read Full Review

“V Festival really is just one giant branding exercise...”

Written on: 09/06/2004 by Mindy (82 reviews written)

V Festival really is just one giant branding exercise for Virgin. However, it's not a bad festival if you catch it on a day where you like the music. Over the years it's been hit and miss but they seem to be improving things all the time. I'm actually a veteran of all 3 sites on which the festival has been held (Temple Newsham in Leeds in 1998, Weston Park in Stafford in 2000, and - weird though it sounds - Chelmsford also in 2000).

Both years I went the organization was good, the… Read Full Review

“I've been to the V festival in Chelmsford twice, in...”

Written on: 08/06/2004 by sportdonkey (30 reviews written)

I've been to the V festival in Chelmsford twice, in 1999 and 2002. I camped there in 02, it rained a lot which was a big downer and ruined the festival spirit a bit. There was something really weird but strangely satisfying sheltering from the rain in the dance tent jumping about to hard core trance with a pint of lager and wearing a cagoule at 11am. Anyway enough of my reminiscing and rambling, if you live in that part of the world (SE England) and you like your music you really couldn't do… Read Full Review