Honda Silverwing Reviews

Honda Silverwing - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Honda Silverwing

Honda Silverwing

“Silverwing - Comfort & Good Speed”

Written on: 13/04/2014

Very comfortable , good leg room , 2 glove compartments in front and space to fit 2 helmets and a raincoat underseat . Excellent acceleration and the engine sound is really sweet but pls be careful about hard braking on this bike . (3 year owner of a Yr 2004 silverwing)… Read Full Review

“Silverwing Stability in turns”

Written on: 28/12/2013 by jbigsby (1 review written)

Anyone else have trouble with the Silverwing in turns? Twice, now I've had my Silverwing's front tire "slide out" from under me in relatively low speed (both left) turns causing a low side fall off both times. No gravel, no paint strips, or any other noted debris either time. I really like my Silverwing, but this problem is so puzzling, I cannot justify continuing to ride it… Read Full Review

Gritmanuk's Response to jbigsby's Review

Written on: 07/01/2014

1,check what tyres for oil and what you are running on the bike ,as i changed my tyres on a zx9 from bt56 to 207s and had a massive slide and the bike never felt 100 per cent,so i changed them strieght away,check tyres pressures ,forks to make sure your seals are not leaking.check brake pipes as any oil or fliud leaking my drip onto tyre,differant tyres suit differant bikes so check what these lads are running on there wings

Jbigsby's reply to Gritmanuk's Comment

Written on: 07/01/2014

Thanks Gritmanuk. Tires check in all ways you suggest. With help from some riders here and the local Honda Service Dept I believe I have found the problem. The left hand brake proportionally applies braking to both rear and front brake. I must have unknowingly/inadvertently applied left brake during that turn which caused front wheel to break traction enough to "slide out." Does this sound plausible to you?

“Silverwing a Godsend for bikers with Arthritis ”

Written on: 19/06/2013 by PorkPieSeller (1 review written)

I was coming back to Bikes after a layoff of 19 years and started of as a pillion passenger on a trip to Assen for the racing. This brought home how bad my Arthritis had become 2 hours on the bike and I could not walk for another 2 without pain, it would take 10 mins to loosen up.I was still desperate to get on a bike and looked at some modifications that could help me,but a mate told me how good a scooter was and arranged a test for me on a burgman 400. After that I looked around for some on… Read Full Review

“Scooter? Sportbike? Workhorse?”

Written on: 29/03/2013 by MartinVdM (1 review written)

Going on my third year with my 2004 'Wing, and I have to say I will never go back to a standard bike. I love the SW for acceleration which beat a 600 sportbike in 0-150kph, handling (which in town is a little sluggish, but out of town it rivals many sport cruisers),long distance comfort, and capacity. I have ridden as much as 480 km with one quick gas stop and it was never a back or butt-breaker. I have ridden all over the upper Midwest U.S. Rides well with two-up, and even with a full load… Read Full Review

“I'll take this scooter over a motorcycle anytime”

Written on: 21/11/2012 by playthrough (1 review written)

I've ridden motorcycles for over 40 years and 100,000 miles, yet I would never go back. This scooter takes two wheeling to a new level. Its start right up in below freezing weather. The handling around curves is extremely precise. The weight of the scoot helps handling during strong winds or the passing of semis. The gas mileage isn't great, but then buying a motorcycle or scooter really doesn't save money in the long run because of expensive parts, maintenance, and cost of the cycle… Read Full Review

Tommyguns's Response to playthrough's Review

Written on: 26/01/2013

I love my silverwing scooter it can go 120 mph, not that I would want to or need to go that fast.I am the type that likes to ride all day long and my silverwing is comfortable hour after hour. I am a machinist and I know quality when I see it. And have no problems with any of the 3 Hondas I have had. They are much more dependable than any other bike I have ever had.

“Honda Silverwing FJS600 2007”

Written on: 27/05/2012 by grs4637 (1 review written)

After many motorcycles, two Burgmans, this 2007 SW is my second. What I like about it is the smooth effortless power delivery, comfy ride and Honda reliability and build quality. Twice a week I commute a 160mile journey mostly on motorways and mostly and an indicated 80mph. The SW just eats up the miles without fuss or bother and I get off at the other end of my journey feeling still able to move my back and limbs! I also like the instrument layout, general styling and the storage capacity… Read Full Review

“Such a Joy”

Written on: 07/05/2012

The bike maybe heavy to push about because it is! However once moving it as nimble as any small sports bike. I have never riding any bike ( inc 600cc race bikes) that can go from side to side like this. Great constant acceleration and will hold 95 easy. The transmission is the key to this bike's success. Brilliant bike with loads of space under seat. Nothing better for commuting into London. … Read Full Review

“Great scooter, but feels heavy around town, parking,...”

Written on: 07/07/2011

I've owned about 40 motorcycles & have been riding 45+ years, owned other scooters & professionally drag raced bikes back in the 1970s. I currently also ride a FJR 1300, but thoroughly enjoy riding my 600 Honda Silverwing as for it's simplicity & good power, even when riding double. However, riding about town, parking, backing into a garage, etc., it feels like 3/4 of a full size motorcycle, not a scooter. It has a top heavy feel at slower speeds, especially into corners. -Its a hulk. No one… Read Full Review

“2006 Silverwing”

Written on: 18/06/2011

A low center of gravity makes this heavy scooter feel light at a stop and when zippy through urban and suburban streets. I have taken the scooter on many highway runs but felt the original air screen allowed too much buffeting. Got an "AirFlow" screen and now the bike feels like a touring bike. I rode to an indicated 108 mph on the mass pike and also raced a friend on his burgman 650. We were neck and neck in a single lane passing a semi at 100 mph and he said I was pulling away. Probably… Read Full Review

“I've owned my 'Wing for 3 years now and love it to...”

Written on: 27/09/2010

I've owned my 'Wing for 3 years now and love it to pieces. It certainly has it's little things to be aware of, but I'm not so sure I would go so far as to call them bad points. But for the purposes of a balanced review here goes:

Niggles: It's heavy and therefore a bit difficult to put on the centre stand albeit there is a side stand too however. The plastic handlebar cover rattles at low speed. It can be a bit of a pain getting to the rear wheel to clean it or check tyre pressure. The… Read Full Review

Motonny's Comment

Written on: 22/05/2011

I found this review very helpful because it is specific and offers a nicy balance between personal and objective criteria ...

“I'm 71 and use my Silverwing for pleasure and...”

Written on: 15/09/2010

I'm 71 and use my Silverwing for pleasure and convenience mostly riding in urban and I've only found 4 things not to my liking.Firstly, the OE mirrors are useless and could arguably be considered as dangerous unless the rider is less than about 5'6".I sourced out a new pair of cheap replacements with larger mirror heads and longer stems from a bike salvage dealer for £25 and they are the best mirrors I've ever had.They almost make the recommendation of the "life saver" glance over the right… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 21/06/2011

very good review

Tigerandyx9's Comment

Written on: 13/06/2013

I'm also shifting from 70,000 miles on a X9 500 to ... Looking at the Silverwing as its possible replacement to continue exploring Europe on the scooter. I was wondering if it was too heavy to lift if it tips over as I usually travel alone thru remote areas.

“Having taken delivery of the Silverwing one week...”

Written on: 13/09/2010

Having taken delivery of the Silverwing one week before setting off for a 3000mile tour, I was filled with trepidation about the setup and settings of the bike, which was a six month old, recently serviced machine, fitted with a touring screen and back box. The touring screen was hopeless, allowing the rain to stay both on the screen, and on my visor, I had it removed asap, and now have the standard unit fitted, more wind, less water! The 45 ltr colour coded back box is great, although will not… Read Full Review

“I am now on my second Silverwing, the first (non ABS...”

Written on: 23/08/2010

I am now on my second Silverwing, the first (non ABS model) having lasted 104,500 miles before the radiator let go (having the radiator so low down on the bike means it is very exposed to the spray off the front wheels and hence the salt during the winter months) unfortunately 2nd hand radiators are in short supply with the price of a new radiator making it an uneconomical repair.

I commute 11-12,000 miles a year with this bike an can thoroughly recommend it. It is comfortable, Honda reliable… Read Full Review

Heathcote's Comment

Written on: 06/09/2010

I found this review very helpful because... It is well written and very factual.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 31/07/2011

Great review DP, It has helped me decide to go for the Silverwing as opposed to the Bergman 650. Cheers,

Arni's Comment

Written on: 08/10/2010

Well-written review. Surprised at claim of 100mph max. Mine (bought when they were first released) would do 175kph reliably, which is 108 mph.

Lobie's Comment

Written on: 08/09/2010

I found this review very helpful because it touched on most aspects of the bike's features and performance and focused on serious, high mileage trips as well as daily commutes. I like the fact that the writer lists both pros and cons and gives detailed fuel consumption and tyre choice information. I especially appreciate comments that help assess the durability and the cost of long-term ownership.

“2008 HONDA SilverWing FSC600D I'm 6' 3" and hadn't...”

Written on: 26/06/2010

2008 HONDA SilverWing FSC600D I'm 6' 3" and hadn't ridden in years - It was purchased to carry on the back of our RV so we wouldn't have to always tow a car - I find driving it utterly relaxing or invigorating depending on how far I turn the right grip - The scooter IS a bit "buzzy" (front plastic) when taking off - I find myself driving it nearly every day though, just to relax - I love driving it - Acceleration is VERY good! - I've learned to apply a bit of rear brake and keep a little… Read Full Review

“Like other reviewers, ongoing knee deterioration...”

Written on: 19/06/2010

Like other reviewers, ongoing knee deterioration limited my "lift-over" so I was forced to look at other rides...along with the Silverwing, I considered the Yamaha Majesty 400 and the Suzuki Burgman 650. I chose the Silverwing and have not regretted it for an instant. I was lucky to find a 2004 with 3000 miles on it for a very attractive price.

Acceleration is phenomenal. I haven't actually clocked it, but a friend with an 1100 Shadow says he starts falling behind about five feet off the… Read Full Review

“When I bought my Silverwing I bought with my head and...”

Written on: 06/06/2010

When I bought my Silverwing I bought with my head and not my heart. It just doesn't do anything for me cosmetically. That apart, I can't fault it. It's plenty fast enough and will hold its own against most bikes (within reason). It handles well, is very comfortable, has excellent weather protection and great storage. Also, the price is really good at the moment. A few years ago it cost more or less the same as Yamaha's T Max. Whereas other makes and most Honda madels have increased… Read Full Review

“First ever scooter - owned around 30 motorbikes in the...”

Written on: 24/04/2010

First ever scooter - owned around 30 motorbikes in the past. Absolutely love this machine! Very comfortable, quick enough (cruise 80mph no prob) Superb two up and LOADS of luggage space. Handles great - really good on corners which is a big plus.
Really cant think of anything negative to say - tank range could be better - get around 125 miles before reserve - so realistic range of 150 miles. MPG 40 - 48 - not great but acceptable.
Highly recommended!… Read Full Review

“I've owned my 2009 Honda Silverwing ABS for about 7...”

Written on: 21/09/2009

I've owned my 2009 Honda Silverwing ABS for about 7 months and am very pleased with it.

I was looking for a maxi-scooter with plenty of power.

It's fun to ride on both secondary roads and the highway; very smooth, quiet, and stable.

Typical "bullet-proof" Honda engineering.

Yes, it is very heavy (close to 600 lbs with all my add-ons), but I've adjusted and I've never dropped it, and I only weigh 150 lbs.

No regrets; I think it's a little bit smaller and thinner and more agile than the… Read Full Review

“I bought this 2002 Honda Silverwing (then known as FSC...”

Written on: 20/09/2009

I bought this 2002 Honda Silverwing (then known as FSC 600) off Craigslist, from a student of automotive engineering who was an avid "tinkerer' of bikes. At 17,000 K miles, its rear tire was nearly worn.. the front rim needed replacement. Blue was not the bike's original color, and the original owner was riding it without the cowl nor plastics, leaving the bike naked and electrical wiring exposed to the elements. I purchase it for $4500 on the condition that he reinstall the cowl, plastics… Read Full Review

“I bought my 2007 Silverwing new. I drive it to work...”

Written on: 27/08/2009

I bought my 2007 Silverwing new. I drive it to work every day (100kms round trip) I am 5'9" 270lbs and my wife is 170lbs. The bike handles us both easily on the highway.

I bought the bike with 5kms and have 13,000 on it. I average 4.9liters per 100 kms or 58-62 mpg. The bike is nimble enough for city driving, yet heavy enough not to be blown around too much on the highway.

The best rides this bike gives are the long country drives. You have a comfortable seat, lots of storage, easy handling… Read Full Review

Lobie's Comment

Written on: 08/09/2010

I found this review helpful because it gave an overall impression of the machine that included its strengths and weaknesses. However, the writer's calculations of the fuel consumption are a bit optimistic, in that the figures "58-62 mpg" should really be 57-58 mpg if the 4.9 litre per 100 km average is accurate.