Holiday Cottages Reviews - www.holidaycottages.co.uk

Holiday Cottages www.holidaycottages.co.uk - Ask a question now

“Be Warned!!”

Written on: 07/09/2016

When we needed to cancel shortly after booking for personal reasons they refused to return our deposit of over £1000 although they had nearly a year to re-let the property. They have a totally inflexible attitude and the insurance we took out was not worth the paper it was written on!! I would certainly never use them again… Read Full Review

“HOLIDAYCOTTAGES.CO.UK. DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM. ”

Written on: 01/08/2016

I gave one star as I couldn't give none-DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS COMPANY, IF THINGS GO WRONG THEY WILL NOT RESOLVE IT.THEY TOLD ME TO TAKE IT UP WITH THE OWNER MYSELF-A FAULTY BOILER PROBLEM. Booked a cottage in Cornwall in Feb this year for a July holiday. £1300 for 7 days-so not cheap. Called owner, as per advice, prior to travel who was helpful. No mention of any problems. Got to property and no hot water. Looked at boiler and saw some old hand written message about pressing a red button… Read Full Review

“Total disgrace, now we have no holiday at all”

Written on: 22/04/2016 by Trevort146 (1 review written)

In January 2016 we booked and paid for a rental with Holidaycottages.co.uk for July 2016. We booked annual leave with our work and started planning our holiday. In April 2016 we were told by Holiday cottages that they were cancelling our holiday because the property had been sold. We have received a refund now but are finding it impossible to find another property for the same price and dates. Holiday cottages took no responsibility only offered us much more expensive properties that we can't… Read Full Review

“Ovington House, Ovington, Northumberland”

Written on: 06/09/2015 by Loenliz (1 review written)

Booked this house for 1 week in August 2015 and paid £1600 . Large house with 6 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms. Bedrooms and bathrooms fine but the property went down hill in the kitchen. Dirty greasy worktop and dirty floor. Toaster covered in grease and the cutlery draw with previous occupants crumbs and hair. yUK. Also the patio was not useable as it was green with algae and very slippery when damp. House could do with a deep clean. Complained to Cottages 4 You but they have fobbed me off with… Read Full Review

Remcat's Response to Loenliz's Review

Hi
Full sympathy with you, and I complained whilst I was there. Boiler problem. House not as high a standard as pics suggest. Fobbed me off with I need to contact owner myself as they are not responsible. Awful company. I'm still waiting for outcome for compensation and will refer them to ombudsman for breach of consumer rights act.

Loenliz's reply to Remcat's Comment

Written on: 01/08/2016

Good luck with your complaint, we got nowhere with Cottages 4 You and will NEVER use them again. Hope the house had been cleaned this year as it really was bad. You would think that they would check properties and make sure that they were of a good standard. Obviously not - they just take the money.Beware when booking this property or take your rubber gloves with you.

“Not as described by Holiday cottages”

Written on: 23/07/2015 by DavinBlevins (1 review written)

Booked a holiday cottage in Somerset all the reviews on the cottage looked good so went ahead. Having 2 small dogs the garden was listed as secure, this is far from the truth Please be warned! We left early as a resident pitbull cross grayhound also has access to the garden, not a restful holiday as expected. Will never book with this company again… Read Full Review

“So insensitive”

Written on: 24/03/2015 by yakka1 (1 review written)

Cannot believe the insensitivity of this firm and wouldn’t recommend using them to anyone. My father has recently been diagnosed with Brain cancer and has a booking (deposit paid but not full balance). In view of his condition he recently contacted them and asked if he could cancel the booking and enquired if he could get deposit back. The response was that as he hadn’t taken out insurance he wouldn’t get deposit back. He was also told that the property would be readvertised and if it… Read Full Review

Remcat's Response to yakka1's Review

Written on: 01/08/2016

My full sympathy to you.
I have had utterly disgraceful treatment by this company, who appears to regularly breach the consumer act. I am referring them to the ombudsman and I hope others will do the same, to force them to change their ways.

“Appalling customer service”

Written on: 01/03/2015 by Cobbwp452 (1 review written)

we booked a week in a cottage in Devon between xmas and New Year 2014. As my father in law had recently died my husband needed a relaxing break, I alerted both Holiday Cottages and the owner to our situation. On arrival at the cottage we could see that the owners nephew had been living there and was still moving his things out. He advised that his aunt had ceased her contract with holiday cottages due to difficulties with them and that we were the last customers. He advised that the property… Read Full Review

Remcat's Comment

Written on: 01/08/2016

Hi my full sympathy to you. I hope the matter was resolved for you? I am currently referring them to the ombudsman for breach of the consumer rights legislation, I hope that you are able to do the same if they did not resolve this matter for you.

Kind regards

“Friendly company and as agreed”

Written on: 10/11/2013

Had a weekend away, the cottage was as described and was better than we originally thought. Easy to deal with and came back to me with the availably the next day. The cottage made the weekend though… Read Full Review

“Was completely ripped off!”

Written on: 02/10/2013 by Ttinkyhinky (1 review written)

I was stung with additional charges by the owner upon arrival. Having driven 400 miles to the middle of nowhere he knew he had us over a barrel. We had to pay or sleep rough. When we complained he told us to take it up with holidaycottage.co.uk when I did that they just told me it was between be and the owner and had nothing to do with them. They were also extremely rude to me on the phone. Will never use them again. They had no concern for their customers at all… Read Full Review

“Holiday Disaster, awful, awful, awful, stay well clear. ”

Written on: 01/10/2013

Scandalous! Had an argument with owner manager at Manor Farm Charmouth over a simple request for a second key fob to allow access for a second party (front iron gates), which resulted in us leaving the property after only one night. Holidaycottages have sided with the manager and have refused to post our honest detailed review of the whole incident on their site. Outrageous, their review system is biased and dishonest. THEY REFUSE TO PUBLISH ANY BAD REVIEWS. Steer well clear as you are not… Read Full Review

“TOO STUFFY at SHARPENTON LODGE”

Written on: 06/02/2013

Stayed at SHARPENTON LODGE in Nov 2012 as a party of 3 couples. We all found it stuffy, airless and uncomfortable. This lodge is so busy trying to be ECO-FRIENDLY that it forgets to be USER-FRIENDLY. It has an air recovery system which does nothing to freshen the air inside, and a request not to open the windows. The bedrooms were way too hot and we had no control over the heating. Also no top windows in bedrooms to let in fresh air. After a couple of days we all felt listless and headachy… Read Full Review

“Very Disappointing Holiday”

Written on: 25/08/2012 by Frankiethedog (1 review written)

We booked a week at a cottage at The Holt farm near Stibb Cross in Newton Saint Petrock in July and paid over £400 for a week's stay. I was 23 weeks preganat at the time, and both myself and my partner had been looking forward to a relaxing break with our dog. On arrival, the cottage seemed absolutely fine. The surroundings were lovely. The kitchen was adequately equipped, and the power shower was great, although there was only hot water in the mornings, which was a shame. Unfortunately, the… Read Full Review

“I booked a cottage in Paracombe, North Devon for my...”

Written on: 16/05/2011

I booked a cottage in Paracombe, North Devon for my Husbands 50th birthday. When we arrived there were no signs up to tell you had arrived in the right place. We only knew because I printed a picture of the property. The place was diry, had cobwebs in every room. The stone floors hadn't been swept or cleaned in ages. The cottage smelt very musty and damp. The kitchen cupboards were dirty and the crockery, utensils etc had to be washed before use as they smelt musty. The bathroom was dirty… Read Full Review

“DO NOT TAKE ANY NOTICE OF HOW THEY DESCRIBE THE...”

Written on: 11/07/2010

DO NOT TAKE ANY NOTICE OF HOW THEY DESCRIBE THE COTTAGES THEY WRITE A LOAD OF RUBBISH.DO NOT AT ANY COST USE THIS COMPANY TO BOOK YOU HOLIDAY IT WILL BE A HOLIDAY FROM HELL.NOTHING WAS GOOD ABOUT IT. THE PLACE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN OUT OF PLACE IN A CAPE TOWN SLUM… Read Full Review

“This year when I was low on money I realised there...”

Written on: 17/09/2009 by leighanne005 (1 review written)

This year when I was low on money I realised there wouldnt be much chance of me taking a holiday abroad. I had the holiday time to spare but no money to spend! Then I got speaking to a friend of mine online and she had just got back from Devon. She said she had really enjoyed her time there and then sent me the link to the Farm & Cottage Holidays website.

I had a look around and then found a lovely little cottage around Bideford, North Devon. I called up the number and got through to a very… Read Full Review

Actingrose's Response to leighanne005's Review

Written on: 03/10/2009

I can appreciate your experience with the agents. I can only say I'm glad your accommodation was owned and attended to by a very pleasant landlord. Where the agents fall from grace is when there is a problem with your accommodation. They are not prepared to do anything to help resolve any situation. They will not engage with any complaints. They leave holiday makers out on a limb when dealing with aggressive and obstructive owners. They will not get involved. This can ultimately lead to a very miserable holiday because your left in a potentially volatile situation in which they will not arbitrate.

R Mckean's Response to leighanne005's Review

Written on: 19/01/2010

I am pleased for Leighanne that she had such a delightful holiday. She suggests that holiday owners with complaints should "..inform the agency to investigate still promoting these places.." - there are a number of reviews listed on this website which describe the lack of support given by Farm and Cottage Holidays when things go wrong. I complained to the agents in July 2007 while at the property and on my return home. None of the problems were addressed (not the agent's problem; apparently my contract was with the cottage owners). Furthermore 'guests' staying there in October 2007 experienced the same problems as me. A year later (Sept 2008) F & C Holidays did send me a cheque amounting to 25% of the cost of my holiday but given that the site I stayed at had 14 properties (all let through F&C, rents averaging £1000 per week) and complaints from other guests in the same week - why didn't they make a site visit to investigate?

“I found the accommodation to be dirty and had...”

Written on: 30/06/2008 by brendanbenson (1 review written)

I found the accommodation to be dirty and had woodlice, there were unsafe items in the house for children. The plumbing in the toilet broke and the washing machine also packed in as it looked as though it had not been properly maintained

I am very unhappy with the service, it seemed as though the property had not been inspected often enough and I did not think it was good value for money… Read Full Review

“Having paid nearly £400, a reasonable price at face...”

Written on: 08/08/2007 by julian Halls (7 reviews written)

Having paid nearly £400, a reasonable price at face value, for a small cottage with a nice view, one has to say that the property called Coastguard Cottage was clearly misleading in the description and the pictures on the web re-enforced the misdirection. As such, it was not good value. Very careful reading of the website revealed an estate agent's style prose, where what was not said was clearly the most important aspect to be noted. Complaints to the company resulted a polite reply, which… Read Full Review

R Mckean's Response to julian Halls's Review

Written on: 13/10/2007

I have read Julian's comments and when I realised that his experiences of Farm and Cottage holidays (also known as Simply Cottages) were similar to my own I was prompted to write my own review which I have submitted for consideration.
<br/>I note that Julian's review names the Agent as Farm & Country Cottages. If you search for Farm & Cottage Holidays and Simply Cottages you will be directed to the www.holidaycottages.co.uk website. I have submitted a review about about Farm & Cottage Holidays not Farm & Country cottages but I believe it to be the same company that Julian has reviewed.

Burnbury's Response to julian Halls's Review

Written on: 28/07/2009

I found this review very helpful because...Clearly this reviewer had similar experiences to us. I have submitted my review of this company. Our small outside space was in a car park over looking an over flowing bin store.
<br/>No help from the company whatsoever, just the obligatory reply taught at avoidance school - sorry but not prepared to do anything.

Brendanbenson's Response to julian Halls's Review

Written on: 30/06/2008

I found this review helpful because...<br/>it confirms that the company do not regulate the standards of their accommodations and are only happy to take a very reasonable amount of money with very little on their part to accept responsibility for them

R Mckean's Response to julian Halls's Review