American Express Centurion Black Reviews

American Express Centurion Black - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for American Express Centurion Black

American Express Centurion Black
American Express Centurion Black

“dreams do not come true”

Written on: 05/05/2014 by Maximus1948 (1 review written)

i possessed a centurion card for about two years. from about 10 advertised advantages not one was possible like moreover partner tickets on flights. to keep the funds spent on that card for other expenses would have been more rewarding. i wanted to mention this in a sereen way on the amex reviews page but noting was published with a message that my comments needed moderation… Read Full Review

“Go in to plenty of detail, talk about the key elements...”

Written on: 13/10/2012

Go in to plenty of detail, talk about the key elements you like, was there anything you… Read Full Review

“THE BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY POSSIBLE.......”

Written on: 20/08/2012 by EVSTA (1 review written)

THE SERVICE OR LACK THERE OF IS BEYOND REPROACH. EVERY TIME I HAVE TRIED TO USE THE CONCIERGE SERVICE THERE HAS BEEN A PROBLEM. I AM NOT QUITE SURE WHY I PAY $5000 A YEAR FOR A CARD THAT HAS NO MORE BENEFITS THAN A PLATINUM BANK CARD. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER IS THE MOST INCOMPETENT PERSON I HAVE EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF DEALING WITH. SPEND THE $100 DOLLARS A WEEK THAT THIS USLESS CARD COSTS ON SOMETHING THAT YOU WILL ENJOY. PLEASE BE UNDER NO ILLUSION, THIS CARD AND ITS SERVICES… Read Full Review

Rgala's Response to EVSTA's Review

Written on: 18/10/2013

One problem with this review. The annual fee is NOT 5000 as claimed by this poster. Then one wonders what else is false as well?

Evsta's reply to Rgala's Comment

Written on: 19/10/2013

Actually the Annual fee is $5000 AUD Rgala and an extra $1500 for supplementary cards.

How much do you pay?

Rgala's reply to Evsta's Comment

Written on: 19/10/2013

2500 with one supp black card free.

and if you don't like the fee why do you still pay?

I for one travel 'BIT' and last year, the benefits I got was valued about 3,000 (includes all the upgrade and free nights) never mind the extra perks as well.

it really depends on what you do and how you can take advantage of the benefits that come with the card.

“Ihad a gold card 1982 and was invited to get the black...”

Written on: 12/05/2011 by bart bush (1 review written)

Ihad a gold card 1982 and was invited to get the black card in 1997,i used it ever since to pay stors,hotels etc.I used the travell service once,and could have got a much better deal if i did it through my travell agent.I also issued a black card for my son,and two platinum cards for my daughters.I do not think that the annual fees i pay is justifid.I experianced delay and trouble to get portion of the compensation for travell insurance claims.I will not renew my membership again… Read Full Review

Written on: 20/09/2011

The card was first introduced in 1999 in the UK. How you managed to get your card in 1997, I don't know!

LOL

Written on: 04/05/2012

why would you get a subsidary card for your son? thats pathetic...these cards are for wannabee elitists , I know so many doctors and small business owners ( ie sub $10m revnue) who have these, and are not in anyway high net worth individuals! I will never accept the invitation, nor would I want some gordy card to make me feel better....its like a penis extension for the average joe

Written on: 10/11/2011

Actually it is available in USA since 1996, called black card instead of Centurion officially introduce in 1999.

“I couldn't beleve the almost 300% increase in cost to...”

Written on: 02/02/2011 by billywilgar (2 reviews written)

I couldn't beleve the almost 300% increase in cost to have this card, but i was convinced by the member of staff who called to persuade me of the incresed benefits. I felt obliged to use the service more once I renewed my membership, and can only describe my experiances with the concierge and travel service as dissapointing. I have been able to achieve better deals and better service independantly. On a positive note, the automatic upgrade to Virgin Gold card status has been a great experiance!… Read Full Review

“I've been with Amex for 23 years. I was invited to...”

Written on: 28/12/2010 by caspia1 (1 review written)

I've been with Amex for 23 years. I was invited to receive the Centurion card and accepted it, despite its the 650 pound fee. Worked well for me since they introduced it.
Now, Centurion ceases to exist they asked me to have the Titanium for 1800 pounds. Why? I don't need nor use many of the facilities offered, yet I was happy to pay the 650 for Centurion....However, I am not going to keep the Titanium and I will be reverting to Platinum as of the 20th January. The fee is 300 pounds.
The fact… Read Full Review

Ms17's Response to caspia1's Review

Written on: 20/01/2011

You get the priorty pass with amex platinum and also other cards like Natwest Black or Barclays Infinite.

“I am a founding member from 1999 with Centurion. At...”

Written on: 16/11/2010 by clivedrake (1 review written)

I am a founding member from 1999 with Centurion. At first I was really happy with the whole concept and the service - for ringing a personal contact was the best part of the whole service. Then in 2008 they tripled the card fee - and worst still "deleted" the personal contact part of the service. (Fortunately I have - only just - managed to hold on to a personal conact who is very helpful to me). Now its hit and miss and annoyingly if you speak to someone say a 12 noon - you have to give out a… Read Full Review

“I have given up with Centurion - what, exactly am I...”

Written on: 01/11/2010 by dokanman (21 reviews written)

I have given up with Centurion - what, exactly am I paying 1800 quid a year for?

Travel service? - Always more expensive than any other travel agent. Occasional benefits in hotel on "Fine Hotels" - that you get with Platinum card anyway. Hopeless at booking any hotel that isn't a big brand.

Companion seats on flights? - only on "qualifying" fares that are at least double - and more, what I pay through a regular travel agent.

SPG Gold card? - I get a Platinum card, ta v much as I am a… Read Full Review

“I'm sorry Centurion Card but No Thanks and No more. ”

Written on: 03/09/2010

I'm sorry Centurion Card but No Thanks and No more.
I've just reverted to Platinum status after 2 years at Black or Titanium level. Frankly, it's a wannabe card. In summary, most of the benefits are really for people who are NOT traveling in premium class class and who need access to facilities that are available for real premium travelers. The so called hotel deals can invariably be bettered with a single phone call. The Loyalty cards are, for the most part, cards you already have (Hilton… Read Full Review

“Been Amex member since 97. Had black card when it...”

Written on: 19/06/2010

Been Amex member since 97. Had black card when it first came out in 2000.
Fee has tripled and benefits halved. Customer service is the worst. Hotel/airfare rates are rip off.
Gave it back this month. Using citibank premier miles now. Same airmiles ratio per $ spent as black.
If you don't mind paying 2k to carry a piece of metal in your wallet then get it.
Before it used to have the wow factor. Now everyone has it. It's no big deal… Read Full Review

“Amex customer for 25 years, Centurian for 11 years. ”

Written on: 23/05/2010

Amex customer for 25 years, Centurian for 11 years.
Just heard about the 'new and improved' Titanium card and will also be canceling of renewal.
I spent 2 months at the beginning of 2010 traveling with my wife and two young sons in USA/Canada and thought Amex would be able to help out with the planning... what a mistake! We had problem after problem, not least that they managed to get our names wrong FOUR times on international air tickets - despite having emailed the correct names FOUR TIMES!… Read Full Review

“Had a Centurion card for a number of years,when...”

Written on: 08/05/2010

Had a Centurion card for a number of years,when business went bad I racked up $150,000 on it and could not pay the bill ! That was the best value I got out of the card… Read Full Review

“I've been an Amex card holder since 92, starting with...”

Written on: 27/04/2010

I've been an Amex card holder since 92, starting with gold, then platinum followed by charter membership of the centurion card around 10 years ago. At that time, with a cost of £650, it was expensive but acceptable, and the concierge tried their best to help.

Recently however this has gone so far downhill, it's below ground. Imagine my surprise when a snide Amex account manager, clearly trying to remain polite with me as he was being recorded, explained to me that my unapproved limit was… Read Full Review

“Disgracefully poor customer services and incredibly...”

Written on: 20/04/2010

Disgracefully poor customer services and incredibly poor value all round. Everything which they have done for me over the past 10 years has gone wrong and they had the arrogance to triple the annual membership costs and give no extra benefits whatsoever for cardholders outside London. I made a protest and moved to a Platinum but the process caused me so much grief and hassle I wish I had just moved to another card provider. Shame on you American Express… Read Full Review

“I have been a long term Amex customer. Like most...”

Written on: 15/04/2010

I have been a long term Amex customer. Like most others here I find the new£1800 Centurion fee totally outrageous. Its introduction at a time of economic turmoil is totally out of touch with prevailing financial climate. When I phoned up Amex to inform them I was leaving they asked me were the benefits explained properly to me. I told them that they had.

They said that they have made tremendous improvements in the Concierge service etc - I have not noticed this.

I will miss the magazine… Read Full Review

“I have an American Express Centurion card but over...”

Written on: 16/03/2010 by kotel (3 reviews written)

I have an American Express Centurion card but over here when I fork it over no one really knows what it is. They say things like "ooh that's heavy" but they don't seem to know what it is. I wouldn't say here that closed doors open but maybe I am also not that great at asking what they do for Centrion card holders or waving it around. The fact I can have 5 supplementary card holders (Platinum cards) with all the insurance cover that I have is a very cheap way for me to give great insurance… Read Full Review

“really i learned about this one through online..in...”

Written on: 16/03/2010 by varamohan (4 reviews written)

really i learned about this one through online..in firstly i connected with this one and registered myself..but due to the citizenship i came to face lot of problems i charges and "downgraded" to platinum because I felt that the new, £1800 fee was good but i came to know about the offerings are problematic.at one point of time i want drop myself from the position to withdraw from cardholders..but later on i learned to use the facilities they offered… Read Full Review

“Just been "downgraded" to platinum because I felt that...”

Written on: 08/03/2010

Just been "downgraded" to platinum because I felt that the new, £1800 fee was ridiculous. I appreciate that they only need 25% of card holders to pay up to break even but this whole business leaves a very negative impression of this company. A member for 20 years but if service declines any more then this will be my last year at whatever colour they offer me… Read Full Review

“Member since 1988 ”

Written on: 17/02/2010

Member since 1988
I was happy up until recently. At £650 It paid for itself... just.
Now that the price is going up to £1800 I cannot justify it anymore.

It has relatively good benefits for the money, although a recent insurance claim for late luggage got a very shoddy response although they did eventually cough up.

Up until now I would have recommended it to a friend who travels alot.
Not now though. The priority pass can be bought for less, and not once has the travel agency provided a… Read Full Review

“I have been an Amex member since 88 and held a...”

Written on: 16/02/2010

I have been an Amex member since 88 and held a Centurion card for about 10 years. The only real benefits to me are the travel insurance and priority pass membership for myself and my supplementary card holder. I have never been able to book flights or hotels through the travel service as much better deals can be found on the internet more quickly and efficienly.

The arrogance of American Express in tripling the card fee is immense but frankly I'm not surprised as the service has gone down… Read Full Review