Kawasaki Zephyr 550 Reviews

Kawasaki Zephyr 550 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Kawasaki Zephyr 550

Kawasaki Zephyr 550
Kawasaki Zephyr 550

“After much searching I bought a ZR550 for my daily...”

Written on: 24/02/2010

After much searching I bought a ZR550 for my daily commute, and it is a gem. I really like the retro look that this bike has, and although it's no road burner, it does exactly what I expected. The seat is low and comfortable, everything works well enough and at town speeds, I have no complaints. actually had to ride it for three hours to get it home when I bought it, and compared to my other bikes (a Suzuki SV650S and a Honda CBR1000), it was a true "feather-bed" experience.
As long as this… Read Full Review

“I paid £800 for my 1991 550 zephyr with 21000ml onthe...”

Written on: 08/09/2009

I paid £800 for my 1991 550 zephyr with 21000ml onthe clock, i came with a new ninja green paint job, new custom seat (very comfortable) belly pan, brand new tyres and a META M357T-V2 alarm, but ripped that out when it went faulty and immobilsed the whole bike.
i have since had fitted a rentec grab rail/rack, a green MTC exhaust, (sounds awsome)
My views are that the zr 550 is a great bike with enough power when you need it, if you wish to streetfight it, then you have a great base to start… Read Full Review

“ Kawasaki Zephyr 550 is light and nippy reminds me...”

Written on: 10/03/2009 by Bald ricc (1 review written)

Kawasaki Zephyr 550 is light and nippy reminds me very much of xj55o yam i had for years.like the styling the bike was bought accidently as i went to fix it for sum1 and ended up buying it after test riding it. i found it very revvy but really easy to ride needs new petrol tank cant find 1 any where. usual 80s rust tank and quick oxi alli … Read Full Review

“The exhaust system on the 550 is sooooooo good...”

Written on: 28/10/2008 by budd1 (1 review written)

The exhaust system on the 550 is sooooooo good looking. I have been biking for over 20 years and had many bikes of all sizes and speeds. I have had my lovely Zephyr now for 7 years and i have to keep sneaking into the garage just to admire it. It is a beasty looking bike and proper old school with a modern touch and drives like a dream. Its low maintenance too. I will never sell it and it will probably be buried with me if they can find a hole big enough!… Read Full Review

“I just bought the Kawasaki Zephyr and just restored...”

Written on: 05/09/2008 by aciddream8213 (1 review written)

I just bought the Kawasaki Zephyr and just restored it. I really love it. Its great on gas and rides great. Of course I'd like a little more power but for the money and the fact that in 7 years it will be vintage. That is worth the time and effort… Read Full Review

“This is a first class old school bike and really gets...”

Written on: 18/08/2008

This is a first class old school bike and really gets the looks from other riders. Use a good oil or maybe Slick50 to keep the motor runing sweet… Read Full Review

“A very good allround bike and a very good looker. Good...”

Written on: 20/06/2008 by jonny 123 (1 review written)

A very good allround bike and a very good looker. Good bike for traffic busting, sunday rideouts and touring. Good engine if maintained properly… Read Full Review

“I bought a 1998 Zephyr 550 for my wife's 40th, sorry...”

Written on: 27/04/2008 by Johnpd67 (1 review written)

I bought a 1998 Zephyr 550 for my wife's 40th, sorry 39 and a bit, as a surprise.
4 days later she told me, "It was really an ER-5 I would have liked!".
As luck would have it, I found an ER-5 and bought that thinking I would resell the Zephyr 550....I'm glad I didn't.
It's a cracking bike!
Retro looks, great shape, and it draws as many looks from other bikers as the big "poser" bikes!
Parts and spares are easy to get hold off at a reasonable price if you look through the internet.
All in all a… Read Full Review

Annie12's Response to Johnpd67's Review

Written on: 09/09/2008

Well I wanted a zephyr for my 39th and a bit. I didn't get one. I didn't get any bike. But it's my 39th plus 2 at the end of the month and if my husband doesn't get me one I may have a midlife crisis and it will cost him more in court.

Guest's Response to Johnpd67's Review

Written on: 07/10/2011

One of the best reviews I've seen on this bike so far. I have an opportunity to do a straight swap, my suzuki gz 250 for the zephyr 550, but the zephyr is looking like its seen better days and need to know what im getting into.

“I bought a 1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 550 and it runs as...”

Written on: 07/03/2008 by fittyinstructor (1 review written)

I bought a 1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 550 and it runs as smooth as the day it rolled off the line its a good bike not that many in Ireland bandit country here nice to have something different. Overall I am happy with my Zephyr - all round comfortable bike to drive… Read Full Review

“The Kawasaki Zephyr 550 is my first real bike after...”

Written on: 04/09/2006 by PeterF1969 (1 review written)

The Kawasaki Zephyr 550 is my first real bike after riding on a 150PX Vespa for years. Anything feels powerful after the little Piaggio. I love the look of the Zephyr, a real 70's look with 90's engineering. Acceleration is smooth up the rev meter, handling is sure. In Australia, I get lots of admiring looks as the ZR550 is rare -- wasn't a big seller. Things get a little hairy over 100 km/h, although I plan to fit a small windshield. Highly recommended… Read Full Review

“As my first big bike I can't say much bad about the...”

Written on: 30/07/2006 by Lines (1 review written)

As my first big bike I can't say much bad about the Kawasaki Zephyr 550. Not having a centre stand is frustrating when servicing comes round. The only problem i have had is the switch which kills the engine if the side stand is down when in first got stuck in hence the engine would cut out when i engaged first. Bit of a snip and a new connection and is all good. Haven't really pushed the bike to its limits but still hits 160kmph quite easy, gears are a little noisy when changing at high rpm… Read Full Review

“I would recommend the Kawasaki Zephyr 550 for a first...”

Written on: 23/06/2006 by MisterWilson (19 reviews written)

I would recommend the Kawasaki Zephyr 550 for a first bike or for someone getting back into riding after a period away. Reliable, predictable, comfy for long journeys. Not geared for long-distance and/or high speed cruising… Read Full Review

Misterwilson's Response to MisterWilson's Review

Written on: 07/10/2006

Recently I've noticed that after a long ride the gear lever becomes very reluctant to engage neutral from first. Occasionally it becomes so stiff that I can't move it with my toes and have to "kick" the lever upwards with the side of my heel. Has anyone else experienced this?

“I purchased a Kawasaki Zephyr 550 1998 model, candy...”

Written on: 20/03/2006 by Valuetracker (1 review written)

I purchased a Kawasaki Zephyr 550 1998 model, candy purple in colour in 2000, with 37,500k's on the clock. It was an ex-government bike, so it had a full service history. I liked the look of it for the old Z900 characteristics, including a derivative of the old Z type motor. But this one had real brakes. It has the same rotors as the ZX7.
My inital reaction to my first ride was that the handling was silky smooth at any speed. The bulk of the weight is slung so low that a 'U' turn in a back… Read Full Review

“After owning an 1981 Z750 in early nineties I recently...”

Written on: 12/01/2004 by Vlad (1 review written)

After owning an 1981 Z750 in early nineties I recently bought a 1993 Kawasaki Zephyr 550 in perfect condition (never dropped) with 24000Km on it for CAD2500.

It's a very fun ride, light and fast enough. It took me less than a week to get comfortable enough to push it to the speed limit (arround 180Km/hr). It's very comfortable for a rider my size (175cm/80Kg) and I had no problems making 500Km+ day trips. Riding position is great (upright) except that footpegs are a litle high for my taste… Read Full Review

Trocar's Response to Vlad's Review

Written on: 19/02/2004

I have the other 550 zephyr in the Toronto Area
<br>
<br>Mine is a 1991 that could not be sold until '93 because of the court battle regarding the name.
<br>
<br>Fantastic bike. Runs perfectly, has 19000km on it currently. Since it my first bike I have little to compare it to, however I think it is really well set up.

Vlad's Response to Vlad's Review

Written on: 17/02/2006

I sold my Zephyr to a friend in August 2005 with 47.000Km on the odo. Let's just say it did not depreciate in value by a single cent. Thanks to a great carburetor cleanup and tuneup by my mechanic it was running better than ever too. I only wish I could have kept it for my wife...

Vlad's Response to Vlad's Review

Written on: 17/02/2006

I'm sorry to hear about your problem plumbum, I hope you got that Zephyr cheap. Unfortunately it's probably in worse shape than if it was ridden hard for those 13 years. The tank is repairable, but it will take time and money as welders are reluctant to work on tanks (some will outright refuse it). I wouldn't even try to start the engine before it's taken apart and thoroughly inspected. Only then you will know if it was worth the money you paid for it.
<br>
<br>You can find help on many Zephyr related questions at http://www.zephyr-zone.com

Plumbum18's Response to Vlad's Review

Written on: 14/06/2005

Well it sounds like you have all had better luck than me. I recently bought a 1990 zephyr 550 with under 5000 miles on it. It had been sitting in a garage for 13 years though. I started working on it and found rust holes in the gas tank. I'm currently trying to fix it but it's very difficult. A new tank costs $715!!! it's rediculus. but if i can fix it then i may be able to get it going. You don't know of any discussion forums for zephyr's do you.

“This is my first "big" bike having passed my test last...”

Written on: 25/05/2003 by Debs. (1 review written)

This is my first "big" bike having passed my test last year.

I bought the bike s/h in March 2003. I love it, its so comfortable with a large double seat, well padded for long journeys. I have a restriction kit fitted and can find nothing detrimental about the pull of the engine. There is plenty of power for me. Gears can be a bit snatchy at higher end, this could be due to the kit, but not problematic.

It is a bit heavy, I'm only 9.5 stone and 5'6" and manouverability can be awkward, but I… Read Full Review