Chappie Original Dog Food Reviews

Chappie Original Dog Food - Ask a question now

“The Dry food is good.”

Written on: 09/05/2013

The by-products from the rear of these animals is important to me, as I have to pick it up. This dog grub (DRY) is the best we have tried and the dogs are smiling. It may not suit every Mutt but our mad Springer and Lab are thriving on the stuff. Why pay more!… Read Full Review

“Why the change to NEW?”

Written on: 14/03/2013

Our Red Setter has been on a daily diet of Chappie Tinned food alternated with JWB or RCW dried food for many years. However, over the past few months she has been suffering from diarrhoea and flatulence and we have been trying to work out what has been causing this problem, initially wondering if perhaps as her twin sister had recently passed away whether in fact she was suffering from stress. My wife however was suspicious that the NEW labelled Chappie Tins could be the cause of our… Read Full Review

“Chappie tinned dog food”

Written on: 01/03/2013 by Casper14 (1 review written)

What have they done to the tinned chappie? My collie X has been on chappie for nearly 2 years now but for over a month has gone right off the tinned food. I used to swear by chappie as my dog has a sensitive stomache and it took ages to find the right food but now i am in a dilema again. Please bring back the old chappie!… Read Full Review

“chappie”

Written on: 02/02/2013 by allyso19 (1 review written)

I have always fed my lhaso apso dog on tinned chappie, then the other day I opened a large tin of chappie and it was all wet and sloppy, my dog wouldn't eat it what have they done to it?????… Read Full Review

“Definately different ingredients.”

Written on: 02/02/2013

I had a border collie who was sensitive to everything. Itching, Sickness, weight gain, swollen sore tummy etc. My vet recommended chappie and it was like a miracle food for her. I lost her aged 13 and now have a yellow lab. I bought chappie as I thought is was a wonderful trusted food. I noticed the packaging and shape/colour was different from how it used to be. He has been frantically eating grass and throwing up. He has runny eyes all of the time. none of which he had before the new… Read Full Review

“Old chappie back please so many dogs are ill ”

Written on: 02/02/2013

Please why have chappie changed the food. I can't cope on seeing my dog like this!!!!! He's always been on chappie no problems before December 18th I thought it was the Xmas deco so I took it all down. No I had to take him to the vets during Xmas because he is scratching himself to bleed badly biting his feet legs in between legs he was bleeding all the time. The vet put him on steroids to help which they didn't so the vet put the dose up and up. I clean the house from top to down in case there… Read Full Review

Evansc's Comment

Written on: 27/03/2013

Wagg sensative works for my dogs but i went through the same pain as you. Chappie tell me they have changed nothing they wont admit their mistake. I hope your sorted but if not try wagg sensative.

Jrtowner's Comment

Written on: 16/01/2014

I googled "dog food causing scratching2 and have just read this review. After a specialist Vet consultation in 2011, I was advised to feed my dog Chapppie. When Chappie was "improved" and it seemed to disagree with my dog, I managed to buy almost a years supply of the "old "mix which ran out October 2013. I was forced to buy the "improved" Chappie. After a few weeks I noticed my dog scratching, and it was getting worse as the weeks passed. I changed her food and itch disappeared. When Mars changed the "recipe" I wrote to egister my concerns but it fell on deaf ears. I do not know what I will now feed my dog. Original Chappie agreed with my dog, was low fat, high fibre which is what she needs. Biggr profits to Mars would appear to be more important than their customer!!!

“New kibble...more like a bad change!”

Written on: 15/01/2013 by Cobblet (1 review written)

I echo the words of everyone else, I've been feeding my dogs dry Chappie dog food for years. Not only the price was appealing but also found it to be the most suitable especially as my hungarian vizsla has a very sensitive stomach & is also a fussy eater. Since they have been on the "new" kibble both dogs now suffer from extreme flatulance, their motions are looser & they both eat great quantities of grass. My vizsla is not keen to eat it unless it has some left over veg stalks/leaves or… Read Full Review

“Tinned Chappie Original”

Written on: 27/12/2012

My latest pack of Chappie tins has a really disgusting smell, even when the tine has just been opened. It always used to smell fishy which was fine but now it smells like a tannery. Won't be buying any more. Also my dog has now developed itchy ears, which he never had before… Read Full Review

Latchford9's Comment

Written on: 29/12/2012

Hi this is because they have changed the meat. I had my dog on the chappie chicken and rice because he had a bad stomach. It was always a light meat with a chalky texture. Recently it has changed it is faker, softer and as you say a bad smell. Apparently it now had wheat germ in it which I only discovered after it upsetting my dogs stomach

“Bring back the old Chappie - if it aint broke, dont...”

Written on: 18/12/2012 by zoemac1983 (1 review written)

I agree with most people on here, they have definitely changed the biscuits and meat whatever they say. My collie has a very sensitive stomach and has now been happy on chappie for a year. I recently bought him a new sac of biscuits and they were the new type, and the meat is the new type too. I wouldnt say it has given him diorrhea but its not great on a daily basis! And it makes him fart now which he never used to do....not so great!!!! I really wish they would bring back the old kibble… Read Full Review

Latchford9's Response to zoemac1983's Review

Written on: 29/12/2012

Hi I agree. My dog was on chappie due to his sensitive stomach. The chicken and rice meat was always light and chalky. This new stuff is dark and mushy and upset his stomach which now leaves me trying other foods while my poor dog suffers

Cal33's Response to zoemac1983's Review

Written on: 08/01/2013

I'm another dog owner who agrees with the unnecessary change for the worst with Chappie Complete. Neither of my dogs will eat the new formula, and I've had to add homemade gravy to even tempt them a little to the beef variety (I had to bin the chicken and rice, they wouldn't touch it whatever I did, and it smelt awful). Oh joy! today I found a 15kg bag of the original and they dove straight in when I fed them tonight. Also, I used to put a little of their allowance in their 'Kong' toys, so they had fun rolling them around to retrieve it, the new kibble is far too big to let me do this!. I've emailed the manufacturers and told them of the problems. Hopefully if enough people do this they will go back to the original.

Evansc's reply to Cal33's Comment

Written on: 28/03/2013

Did you get a reply, i sent them email had no reply at all.
Very dissapointing we now feed our dogs Waggs sensitive very good alternative.
Kate

Cal33's reply to Evansc's Comment

Written on: 02/04/2013

No reply, they obviously don't care. I'll look out for the Waggs and try my dogs with that. In the meantime, they have been getting boiled rice with added boiled fish or chicken. Not the cheapest alternative but a little of the rice goes a long way, and a pan full lasts a couple of days.

“Change for the Worse!”

Written on: 09/12/2012 by elrhia (1 review written)

My lab x had pancreatitis 2 years ago and we swapped his food to Chappie, with no problems whatsoever. Then they changed - I even phoned them and they said its just the packaging that had changed! Well this last week my dog has been very poorly, been in the vets on a drip. He has come home and is eating (rice and chicken for meals at moment) but will not even sniff Chappie biscuits or the meat. Tried him with little bits of other stuff and eats it no problems. My problem now is what do I… Read Full Review

Jennylinda's Response to elrhia's Review

Written on: 14/12/2012

My 8 year old terrier was quite happy on old Chappie chicken dried food but now doesn't seem to be able to eat the new variety without getting diarrhoea.
I am currently feeding him Natural Instinct raw chicken and turkey and this seems to have settled his stomach.

Latchford9's Response to elrhia's Review

Written on: 29/12/2012

Hi I have the same problem. My dog was put on chappie due to sensitive tummy. Apparently the new one has wheat germ which has gone right through my dog and made him very poorly

I have him on royal canin recovery at the minute as he is so poorly. It is very expensive but its what I need to do to get him better. Then what I don't know

Elrhia's reply to Latchford9's Comment

Written on: 31/12/2012

Unfortunately my dog was put to sleep two weeks ago, I am devastated :( :(

Latchford9's reply to Elrhia's Comment

Written on: 02/01/2013

Hi I'm so so sorry to hear about your loss. They become part of you family and it is so difficult at normal times but heart breaking at this time of year.

My dog has a few problems and I wake up every morning hoping he is still with us

Your dog will have gone over rainbow bridge now where all the other dogs go when they pass. They have no pain or illness and are free to run. If you haven't already and you are up to it google dogs and rainbow bridge

Having lost 2 of mine a while back it still pains my heart so I do know how you feel. They say time is a great healer and its true. I can now think about them and smile instead of breaking down sobbing

My thoughts are with u

Elrhia's reply to Latchford9's Comment

Written on: 03/01/2013

thank you. i know about rainbow bridge I could cry .. again :(
hope your doggie is okay x

“best canned food mixed with heights farm dry food”

Written on: 26/11/2012 by leonidasmujahid (2 reviews written)

best canned food for the market and cheap as well, i mix it with heights farm dog food for my staffy who suffers from very bad allergies and since he has been on both no more bald patches and swollen ears and skin allergies, thank God for chappie and heights farm… Read Full Review

“Pancreitus”

Written on: 26/11/2012

My border Collie has just gone down with Pancreatitis after being clear for 2 years. That is why we went to Chappie then. So now we have this "new improved" Chappie and he gets Pancreatitis again. Coincidence? Pancreatitis is deadly and can cause £1000s at the Vets, well that's if you have insurance ... Why change something that is not broke ? Really to save money of course !!… Read Full Review

Elrhia's Comment

Written on: 09/12/2012

OMG!!! our lab x had pancreatitis 2 years ago, went onto Chappie with no problems, then they improve it (I even phoned them to make sure it was the same ingredients and they said "yes"). Now this past week he has been in the vets seriously ill, although they say its not is pancreas, its his liver, but he wont touch Chappie any more, at present on rice and chicken .. I tend to think the same x

“Why change”

Written on: 23/11/2012 by Edthepointer (1 review written)

I whole heartedly agree with what a growing number of other people are saying - that the new shape Chappie is a terrible product. My dog has been off colour for a few weeks and we have now prooved it that it is the chappie that is at route of the problem. Bring the old recipe and shape back!… Read Full Review

“Why change?”

Written on: 21/11/2012

My dog is getting on in years but has been fed Chappie dry mix on the advice of our vet. The new 'improved' version has pieces too large for him to eat comfortably and he would sooner go without eating. Why change a product that pets a d their owners have been happy with for years?… Read Full Review

Stevebrace's Comment

Written on: 25/11/2012

HI , just came across this after a google search that my dog has been ill since changing the original chappie , i am shocked that i am not the only one ! i have been in touch with the customer care number 20/11/2012 and they insisted that the recipe is the same ! and the only thing has changed is the size and shape , and said that it must be something else causing my dogs upset stomach and refusing to eat !! i am horrified that they said that i am the only one with this problem .

“new chappie , why fix when not broken”

Written on: 18/11/2012

i have been feeding chappie to my dogs for 13 years with no problems . my current dogs have been on chappie for 6 years and now the new and improved chappie kibble size. what a joke they must of changed the ingredients as well as none of my dogs will even eat it, put dish down they walk away, wont even eat it as a treat !!! my dog has gone without any dinner now for 3 days, as she is a fussy eater, the smell of the new improved stuff is vile and feels all greasy. i couldnt get hold of any of… Read Full Review

Elrhia's Comment

Written on: 09/12/2012

My dog had pancreatitis 2 years ago, put onto Chappie with no problems at all .... then they go and change it! He has now been in the vets on a drip, he came home and has an appetite and will eat anything .... except Chappie!!!!!

“Scratching constantly!”

Written on: 15/11/2012

Chappie complete was recommended for sensitive tummy - after two weeks my dog is scratching constantly - although no fleas - and coat is definietly dulled and moulting like mad! Am changing food - what a shame they insist on 'fixing something that wasnt't broken!!'… Read Full Review

Gooks1947's Comment

Written on: 31/12/2012

Our two Border Collies have also been scratching and moulting with no sign of fleas. Research on web suggested cereal intolerance (which people also get with wheat), so started looking at their feed, which had been changed - it said so on the bag. Now looking for an alternative - Hi Life has been suggested.
In defence I have to say that Chappie was a life saver 5 years ago for our pup who had a very sensitive stomach.

“Chappies is the best dog food ever for my boy!”

Written on: 14/11/2012 by RottieLover01 (1 review written)

Chappies has been a major hit with my dog. I own a very large and beautiful rottweiler named Diesel who will eat everything and anything if he can get his mouth on it! Over the past four months he has had a very bad stomach and extremely bad diarrhea! Everything we were feeding him was just coming out like liquid and sick! We were forced to put him on a bland diet as we tried every food that was recommended to us and nothing would work. We were feeding him rice and meat as it was the only thing… Read Full Review

“NEW CHAPPIE = DISASTER”

Written on: 11/11/2012

Has anyone else been having problems with the "new and improved" Chappie??… Read Full Review

Nblackburn's Comment

Written on: 14/11/2012

See previous e-mail and please complain, don't be fobbed off

Shemitch's Comment

Written on: 08/12/2012

Since the new Chappie has been fed to our 2 dogs they have had diarrhoea and sickness several times and we wondered whether the new Chappie was doing it and searched the web and found this site. Now we are sure.

Quill1982's Comment

Written on: 15/11/2012

yes all of mine are sick on it

“COMPLAIN TO MARS”

Written on: 06/11/2012 by nblackburn (1 review written)

Diabetic dogs can only eat Chappie tinned or costly prescription food. Manufactures MARS say ingredients haven't changed. The horrible smell of Chappie Original was not there before. PLEASE PLEASE complain MARS PETFOODS, FREEBY LANE, WALTHAM WOLDS, MELTON MOWBRAY, LEICESTERSHIRE LE14 4RT Tel: 01664 410000. Help the diabetic dogs who have no other choices. Enough complaints may make them change to the product we know… Read Full Review

Quill1982's Response to nblackburn's Review

Written on: 15/11/2012

yes i tottally agree mine have all been ill on it

Nblackburn's reply to Quill1982's Comment

Written on: 16/11/2012

So sorry to hear that. I have contacted MARS via their web page 3 times and spoke with customer services. I didn't even get a reply to my e-mails, so ended up writing to the CEO. They just don't seem bothered. The Chappie wet tinned chicken & rice does seem to have stayed the same, I just use that now

“Chappie”

Written on: 02/11/2012 by GiZmo2010 (1 review written)

My 2 year old dog has a sensitive stomach and was advised by the vet to put her on chappie wet food. My dog has been on this since April, it has been working out really well. She love her food and was not getting sick or stomach aches anymore. Plus the food was a lot cheaper then the vet food which was a bonus. Since September/October she has not been eating her wet food so I thought she was being fussy. Then she has been sick everyday now starting having stomach upset foul smelling diahorrea… Read Full Review

Chappiecrow's Response to GiZmo2010's Review

Written on: 04/11/2012

I whole heartedly agree with this story. Having 5 huskies I have always used chappie as they have such sensitive tummies, but my dogs have been the same, I now have to look at an alternative. I am taking this up with my vet also and as some one who has always recommended this food to other huskie owners and other pet lovers who also have dogs with sensitive tums I shall not be any longer. This is a sad day