Honda Civic 1.4 16V DOHC Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Honda Civic 1.4 16V DOHC - Ask a question now

“Not for posers. No regrets.”

Written on: 17/06/2012

I've owned 3 Civics, all VI gen. And although, all had the same engine size, each of them was a little different, they had one thing in common. Reliability. One was more nippy than the other, but none of them has never let me down. They were 14, 15 or 12 years old and no problems at all. My first Civic was really fast and responsive. Next one was more stubborn and took time to get speedy, my current one has it all. This car just does not break as simply, there is not much to get broken. It is… Read Full Review

“I bought my honda civic 1.4 VISION about 3 years ago,...”

Written on: 18/10/2009

I bought my honda civic 1.4 VISION about 3 years ago, never ever ever let me down and i shall keep it until its very end, basically forever. Excellent on fuel, quite nippy, excellent drive. Passes every M.O.T. Starts first time every time. Trust me Hondas are the best from all the cars i have has (peugeot, vauxhall, mazda, saab, nissan & VW).110% recommended… Read Full Review

“Purchased my honda 1 year ago, standard, no...”

Written on: 26/03/2009 by 100bhp (1 review written)

Purchased my honda 1 year ago, standard, no modification was added as brought from old lady, im second owner, had done a full service my self, had it on the dyno test, the car was producing 100bhp, tropica edition 1.4 16v, fast on short gears,Suspension acts like sport suspension, beaten a Golf GTI and Mini Cooper 1.6 16v, fiesta 1.6 zetec s recommend any 1 to get a honda as they are very nippe and reliably car, get the tropica editon Car seems to roll alot when at high speeds, needs to be… Read Full Review

“The best hatch you can buy for this type of money. The...”

Written on: 17/03/2008 by evilvti (1 review written)

The best hatch you can buy for this type of money. The Honda Civic 1.4 16v 3dr hatch is a stunning and I have had 1 for a year now I also have a 1.6vti which is very quick 0 to 62 in 5.9secs. Anyway I had my tiny 1.4 16v engine super chipped so it has 130bhp now I also had a full straight through s/s exhaust fitted with four branch manifold for a very reasonable £225 the car still delivers 40mpg and is as nearly quick as a standard vti… Read Full Review

“I got my Honda Civic in July of 2005 and when I first...”

Written on: 15/03/2006 by Supermanisbak (1 review written)

I got my Honda Civic in July of 2005 and when I first arrived at work with it, my immature work colleagues wasted no time in taking the 'mick' and labelling it an old person's car. One of these guys happened to be a proud owner of a 1.2 l Renault Clio Sport with stiffened suspension and all the rest. However it wasn't long before I disgraced him on a dual carriageway when my car hit a higher top speed than his and left him in dust. Also on another occasion he managed to crash his car at 10mph… Read Full Review

“I got my Honda Civic 1.4 16V DOHC sports in nov 2004...”

Written on: 06/03/2005 by honda man (1 review written)

I got my Honda Civic 1.4 16V DOHC sports in nov 2004 and love it to bits, its very fast for a 14i, I have spent about £450.00 on s/steel exhaust and about £380.00 on a hks air intake system - it sounds fat and goes like mad! Top car!… Read Full Review

“I got my civic in December of 2002. It has been my...”

Written on: 02/05/2003 by DJ Buknard. (1 review written)

I got my civic in December of 2002. It has been my love since then. As standard this car can see 115 MPH and does 0-60 in 8.7 seconds. I payed £350 for a powerflow custom exhaust and air filter; increased the jets to the twin carbs and uprated the fuel pump to increase the top end to off the clock speeds 125 MPH+ and the 0-60 is an estimated 6.8 seconds! the wheel base, for a coupe, is big so putting some nice alloys on this car makes it a very adhesive drive + because it has power steering… Read Full Review

Teen.'s Response to DJ Buknard.'s Review

Written on: 16/07/2003

i have a Honda civic 1991 and i got a b16a and every time my engine is cold my v-tec doesn't seem to kick on but then when it is up to running temp. it runs perfect if i am flooring it but feels like it is missing if i throttle it half way. i took it to a shop and they said my spark plug were sparking out of the wires so i bought some nology wires and plugs and it still does it have any advise? or some kinda of reasons on why it might be doing this?

Flames1212's Response to DJ Buknard.'s Review

Written on: 23/08/2006

alrite mate i have a civic h reg 1.4 16valve dual carb and i need some help, please get back to me if you can regardz oliva.

212783_Sm1703's Response to DJ Buknard.'s Review

Written on: 06/10/2005

hi i have just purchased a honda civic 1.4 sport 2000 i would like to know how much to lower the car if have 17inch rims on it im thinking about 35 - 40 mil but not sure

Jaylee2000's Response to DJ Buknard.'s Review

Written on: 24/02/2005

Hi new Kid
<br>
<br>If your having problems about modding a civic then you may not be looking hard enough. Apart from RS turbo’s and such like civics are one of the best cars to mod with a whole variety of solutions out there.
<br>
<br>But if you want more performance then you should think about a new engine. My bro got a EK4 with a D15B2 (96bhp) and even he modded it slightly its just not worth it. He ended up buying a D15Z6 (115bhp), ok power, great mph and cheap tax.
<br>
<br>Not to familiar with twin carbs, just injection, but heres some suggestions pulling more power our of the car
<br>
<br>Induction kit with cold air feed
<br>Widened Throttle body
<br>Polished and ported intake manifold
<br>Up rated sparks
<br>Performance header 4-2-1 (for mid range) 4-1 (top end power)
<br>De-cat
<br>Full straight thought exhaust system
<br>Lightened crank pulley
<br>Overdrive pulleys for alt and power steering
<br>Lightweight flywheel
<br>Uprated clutch
<br>Maybe some engine timing or re-profiling your cam
<br>Maybe try to lighten the car somehow
<br>
<br>Then NOS, turbo or new engine in you have the money
<br>Thanks about it

New Kid's Response to DJ Buknard.'s Review

Written on: 06/12/2004

Hi I recentley put in a question about my honda civic! I am desperatley in need of some upgrades for my 1.4, 16v, twin carb, sohc?! I have looked around for a while but cant find much! I have changed the air filter and uprated the suspention but need some extra grunt! Any ideas? Please help!! Thankyou

New Kid's Response to DJ Buknard.'s Review

Written on: 03/12/2004

Hi I have recentley bought a honda civic 1.4, 16v, sohc, twin carb. I was wondering what modifications I could do to the engine? Thanks a lot. Paul

Djbuknard's Response to DJ Buknard.'s Review

Written on: 04/03/2004

Gunfreak
<br>
<br>The models available in the UK that year included: 1500cc injection, 1300cc, single carb sohc 1400cc. I dont know much else about them however two colleagues of mine both own to different variants that you did not mention. Both are standard UK registered cars(1500cc and single carb sohc 1400cc 8v). If you are from UK I dont understand, however if you\'re elsewhere this may explain the difference in the models.

Djbuknard's Response to DJ Buknard.'s Review

Written on: 04/03/2004

Hi Gunfreak
<br>
<br>Just to say that my car had dohc 16v stamped on the engine. I dont doubt that you are infinately more knowledgable than me about Honda's however you are wrong in this case. I also did not fully conclude the extent of the engine modding involved to create the figures I wrote about. I recently read a review in max power of a gentleman who had a renault 5 with a 1400cc engine to in excess of 385bhp which is insane but true. In all fairness, the fact that I got a civic of said "model" (in the UK we call this mark) to sub 7 seconds is perfectly plausable. The car had a lot of time and money spent on it.
<br>Anyway, I really did have the speedo bouncing of the top end and I really did have the fastest civic of that spec that I have seen. I can understand you being confused but prehaps now you can see that my review was a little simple and that the car was significantly altered. I was mainly trying to get across to anyone interested that the honda engines of that vintage are remarkably versitile and accomodating allowing huge increases in power with a bit of effort on both parts. I don't appreciate suggestions of dishonesty on my part, however looking at the review again in the pros section I said sub 6 seconds this I believe would be pushing it! and was a mistake. However I am willing to be proven wrong!

Gunfreak's Response to DJ Buknard.'s Review

Written on: 19/02/2004

To D J BUKNARD
<br>having been a honda technition for 16 yrs i can tell you that on that year they did not make a civic 1400 dohc they only made a single cam version but they did have twin carbs what even if you jetted up were still only standard ventury.
<br>also the only way of getting your car to do a sub 7 second 0-60 is by fitting a N.A.S.A. stage two rocket to the back of it.
<br>the models on that year was
<br>1400cc single cam twin carb (not available in coupe only in 3door or 4door)
<br>16i/16v twin cam (s.i model) pgm-fi injected only available in 3door
<br>16i/16v twin cam v-tec, pgm-fi injected only available in 3door
<br>i actually owned a 1991 v-tec version and the performance you are talking about is closer to v-tec performance and thats got 200cc more / an extra cam / pgm-fi racing designed injection / variable valve timed an lift electronic controll system /ecm computer......... do i need to say anymore
<br>also the next mk (as you put it) model you mean? is a lot faster than the old 88-92 model(not 91 honda bring out a new body shape every 4 yrs) ,what do you think honda invest all this money in research and development to make slower cars (get real).
<br>hi teen
<br>As for your problem check rotor arm/check for freeplay in distributer bearings/cracks in distributer cap/
<br>change your fuel filter if it has'nt been changed/also change oil reguler if v-tec system slugges up v-tec can stick also if tappets are to tight that can cause mis-fire effect.
<br>also honda had a big problem with ( oki ) igniters (oki writen on side of igniter unit) if this is the type you have got you may have to replace it soon with a (nec) version
<br>if your problem is still there i would advise you to take it to a dealer (specialist tools required to check other parts).
<br>p/s millga is right until the car is warm and the oil thins out v-tec wont work so just give ten minutes of normal driving before you do your michael schumacker impersonation.
<br>p/s v-tec systems use oil by vapourising it at high revs so always check your oil level.
<br>happy motoring

Millga's Response to DJ Buknard.'s Review

Written on: 26/10/2003

A 1.4 civic with a straight through exhaust will never do a sub 7second 0-62 time (don't argue it won't)that said they are great cars. I have a 1.6i16v (DOHC)and its great. v-tecs wont work when the engines cold but you shouldn't be at that rev range if its cold!