Citroen Xsara 1600 Reviews

Media Gallery for Citroen Xsara 1600

Citroen Xsara 1600

“Best Car I've Had”

Written on: 05/10/2013

People more often than not leave reviews when they are dis-satisfied. I think karma should be restored. I got my xsara at 30k and now it is 120k. 1600 estate. I have had 2 services done, way below the recommended. I have broken down twice in my 90k, one was with the fuel pump dying, the other was the alternator dying. One other self induced problem was that I was towing very heavy trailers that caused the axle to buckle. Now, this car is like a loyal old horse to me, requires little… Read Full Review

“The most unreliable car I have ever owned. In six...”

Written on: 11/11/2010 by theageofreason (7 reviews written)

The most unreliable car I have ever owned. In six months of ownership we had the following 'issues': Month 1: Engines starts to misfire - advised by garage it is the injectors. Turns out to be the coil pack - replaced at the cost of £120. Later that month it starts to misfire again.. this time it's the MAP sensor. Another £80. Month 3: Starts to idle oddly, dying at junctions. It's the idle control motor. New one costs £70. Month 4: Engine speed varying wildly. This time it's a new throttle… Read Full Review

“I've owned a Xsara 1.6 for about three years. It was...”

Written on: 07/01/2009 by Peterthebike (2 reviews written)

I've owned a Xsara 1.6 for about three years. It was secondhand when I bought it with about 50,000 miles on the clock and no previous history. Since then I've added another 18,000 miles including a 2,000 mile holiday in Europe. Quite honestly the car has been superb. No probs whatsoever. It's fairly comfortable, not brilliant compared to the BMW I also drive, but quite OK. also it's a little noisy but quite acceptable. On a decent run at motorway speeds it will return over 50 mpg. These cars… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Don't buy one it cost me from the dealer £8000 I spent...”

Written on: 07/03/2008

Don't buy one it cost me from the dealer £8000 I spent £5699 on it in a average month this is its stats. Broke down 8 times. Won't start 12 times. Overheats 33 times note overheats when not moving too. Judders every day. Stalls when it works all the time. Please don't buy this unless you want to go through what I went through and its embarrassing but it is not a pleasure to drive when it works… Read Full Review

“Overall, I'm happy with my choice of car for the next...”

Written on: 11/11/2006 by Higgz19 (3 reviews written)

Overall, I'm happy with my choice of car for the next 4 years, although I did want a Ford Focus, but they were just out of my price range.

The Citroen Xsara 1.6 LX has a lot of power. It is good for motorway driving, and fuel per gallon is okay on the motorway, but city driving is terrible. The car grips on to the road very well and feels reliable.

I've got one problem with the car, which is a crank shaft oil leak, and it may cost about £200 to fix.

The best thing about this car is it looks… Read Full Review

“I bought a brand new Citroen Xsara 1.6 16V (110 HP) on...”

Written on: 03/08/2006 by pcolmegna (3 reviews written)

I bought a brand new Citroen Xsara 1.6 16V (110 HP) on Sept 2003 and I had that car for 1 year. The reason I only had it for 1 year is that by the time the car had 6.000 km on the Odometer it had to spend 3 months on the shop to rebuilt the injection system because of a factory failure. Is important to say that it broke in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night and that didn't make me very happy. Citroen gave me for those 3 months another car for me to use. By the time I got my… Read Full Review

“The Citroen Xsara 1600 its self is well built with...”

Written on: 14/12/2005 by mellis1468 (1 review written)

The Citroen Xsara 1600 its self is well built with well structered design, it handles well on the open road as well as towns. This I can confirm after driving from the Uk to Malaga Spain 3 times (4000 miles there and back) it is comfortable with easy access to all areas of the engine etc. As I said the only things we have had go wrong are the exhaust and tyres… Read Full Review

“The Citroen Xsara 1600 is an absolute appalling car!...”

Written on: 14/10/2005 by B Middleton (1 review written)

The Citroen Xsara 1600 is an absolute appalling car! Poor performance, bad clutch, very unreliable, poor assembly and build quality… Read Full Review

“The Citroen Xsara 1600 isnt the best of cars for fuel...”

Written on: 04/03/2004 by Gordon D (2 reviews written)

The Citroen Xsara 1600 isnt the best of cars for fuel economy, about 40 mpg on a run and the layout of controls leaves a lot to be desired, try looking for the rear screen demist or electric window switches while your driving! Rear visibility is poor due to the high tail and large pillars block the view at the sides of the windscreen. Very plastic interior and the seats are average. Watch out for someone steeling the spare wheel and jack which are underneath the car. Worst part of the car is… Read Full Review

Tapyeno's Response to Gordon D's Review

Written on: 10/06/2004

We have had ours a year and have no complaints, except the spare wheel - we did not know where it was until someone informed us it had been pinched! Stupid place to keep it - we were not told we needed a lock for it.

Stevetc's Response to Gordon D's Review

Written on: 10/11/2005

Having read this review the first time, one wonders why the said person bought the car to begin with. He speaks of bad layout of controls, bad visibilty, plastic interior and average seats, all of which should be seen when buying the car to start with. Then they complain about a slipping clutch (probably due to bad driving),have they never heard of repair shops to get said problem fixed.

Evil Noodle's Response to Gordon D's Review

Written on: 03/06/2005

what do u mean a bad idea, you have to open the boot undo a bolt which is in the inside of the boot, 4 the spear tyre 2 come free. ive had my xsara 4 about 6months now, and hav had no problems with it, it does 0-60 in 7seconds which is quite good, very smooth to drive, the controls are all in the right place for easy access. ive got a 5door 'stateside' model which looks very nice, and has got a hint og 'Grrrrr' in it : )

Lorna Dowie's Response to Gordon D's Review

Written on: 25/06/2004

Spare tyre underneath the car is a bad design and should be placed inside the boot to stop theft.