Sansui G-9700 Reviews

• Sound Quality

Sansui G-9700 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sansui G-9700

“the wall.”

Written on: 24/08/2014 by McKenna1970 (1 review written)

yup its me again 6 years later... I am still cranking my sansui g-9700.. like I said I will never part with this receiver... she still cranks and look great.. what a beauty... roger waters pink Floyd matallica country no matter what I listen to... it sounds great... if you have one keep it... it will last forever.... darkside… Read Full Review

Sansui G-9700

“I have one of these "sick" radios. Every thing works...”

Written on: 01/12/2010

I have one of these "sick" radios. Every thing works but A-channel on the left side. does anyone know where to fix this great receiver in the Atlanta area?… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 22/03/2012

same here but it is my entire left side. i want it fixed........if you found the problem and got it fixed let me know.....

Sansui G-9700

“I had one of these, now long gone and in some, but not...”

Written on: 23/09/2009

I had one of these, now long gone and in some, but not all respects, I miss it very much.
I'm just adding my views partly based on memory, but also partly based on nostalgia for a time long gone.
This is the age of youngsters regarding MP3 (and other compressed formats) as "Hi-Fidelity", the iPod now rules supreme(???!!!), and streaming internet radio at 192kbps and downloads of poorly ripped and compressed music via a soundcard in a PC now dominates.
I loved the look, the silver finish, the… Read Full Review

Sansui G-9700

“sansui g-9700 is one of the best recievers i ve ever...”

Written on: 15/07/2009

sansui g-9700 is one of the best recievers i ve ever owned.
sonicley very good . power rateing great.
beautifull finished mahoni cabinet.

Sansui G-9700

“Let me tell you if you can find one working grab it...”

Written on: 11/07/2008 by the wall (1 review written)

Let me tell you if you can find one working grab it you will love it forever to. If it doesnt work, you can get it fixed. They make junk now and with the g-series sansui you great awesome power and the best looking receivers made. I see my friends go through all there stereo stuff and I just turn mine on and crank roger waters or mattalica or even country and what a sound. I just need bigger badder speakers. I will never hear it turned up. I shut down 400 or 500 watt klipsch and vegas. Well I… Read Full Review

R Smith47's Response to the wall's Review

Written on: 14/03/2010

I was also blowing up everything. Then I invested in a pair of Bose 901, series 6. I also use a good equalizer to broaden its range.

The Wall's Response to the wall's Review

Written on: 20/10/2011

well its me again. darkside. my sansui g-9700 receiver is still rocking and looking great. it will outlast me. i have two sets of double 15 inch woofer speakers hooked up to it. still awesome power. i dont want anything newer. if you can find one grab it. you will keep it forever.

Sansui G-9700

“I have had my Sansui G-9700 since I was stationed in...”

Written on: 26/01/2008 by cavpa (1 review written)

I have had my Sansui G-9700 since I was stationed in Germany in the early 80's. Currently it is in my attic. I refuse to depart with it and one day I will pull it out of storage and bring it back to its glory days. It surprised me on the internet that they state it was purchased originally for $1100. I am sure I did not pay more than 5 or 6 hundred… Read Full Review

Stumpyone's Response to 340826_cavpa's Review

Written on: 05/02/2008

hello I bought a brand new 9700 receiver in 1980 at the nato exchange in Italy for $500 and the matching speakers for 300. Would u consider selling, im looking for one??

Sansui G-9700

“I would like some specifications on this like the...”

Written on: 04/08/2007 by J0sh (1 review written)

I would like some specifications on this like the Wattage and frequencies… Read Full Review

Happydan's Response to 302469_J0sh's Review

Written on: 14/08/2007

www.classicsansui.net/G%20Series%20Receivers.htm

Sansui G-9700

“I got this Sansui G-9700 Receiver from my brother...”

Written on: 11/02/2006 by darkside (1 review written)

I got this Sansui G-9700 Receiver from my brother years ago. I have loved it since day one and I will keep it forever - I don't need any of this new junk… Read Full Review

Sansui G-9700

“Holy Moley, these people are stupid. ”

Written on: 15/03/2004 by crd (1 review written)

Holy Moley, these people are stupid.
The Sansui G series- G9700 is a 200W/Channel receiver whether it has 75 W transistors in it or 5000000 Watt transistors. That means nothing. It is also only TWO channels, not four. If it had three pairs of speaker jacks would it be six channel?, the stupidity. 600 Watts is the power consumption. 200 Watts per channel into 8 ohms at 0.01% THD is the output for christ's sake… Read Full Review

Sansui G-9700

“I bought my Sansui G series- G9700 at a flea market...”

Written on: 11/01/2004 by keithejetton (1 review written)

I bought my Sansui G series- G9700 at a flea market for $50, and I am loving it for years. It will blow up any second-rate speaker you put on it, only when I went to 4 JBL's did I elimate the dead speaker wall of shame in my house! This baby will rock and roll, it can produce live concert volume cranked up, you better have the speakers tied down, it can produce bass note peaks that can blow the speaker clean off the stand! Buy one if you can still find them, you will not be let down, it… Read Full Review

“nice reciever ”

Written on: 29/05/2003 by Mark Dikeman. (1 review written)

nice reciever
a lot of my friends have newer (junk)
they think that the new reciever they bought for 250 dollars really puts out the power.
until they come over to my place and my old recievers (used as power amps ) hooked up to a 7.1 channel d digital and dts (and dvd audio )
preamp-decoder sounds… Read Full Review

Sansui G-9700

“I paid $10.00 for my sansui, I would have paid much...”

Written on: 21/11/2002 by ME. (1 review written)

I paid $10.00 for my sansui, I would have paid much more and don't think the previous owner knew what they had. It is in great condition in all respects and I would like to know true value of my g-9700 if any one knows would thank you for the information… Read Full Review

Fidel.'s Response to 52363_ME.'s Review

Written on: 26/04/2003

The G-9700 is rated as 200 Watts RMS, and peaks at 250 to 300 Watts. It was rated as having a very low distorion level, but mine does not sound a s good as a 517 or 717 integrated amp, or as good as a Model 7 receiver. It has tons of power, but for using as a power source for a cd player of turntable, I am not impressed with the sound, and 10 bucks is a fair price, especially if it has cost several hundred dollars in blown speakers. It will run older speakers that are rated at over 100 Watts without the risk of blowing them, if you don't turn it up to the point where you melt the drywall in the room.

Sansui G-9700

“I bought my Sansui G9700 receiver off E-bay about a...”

Written on: 10/11/2002 by Jeff Nix. (1 review written)

I bought my Sansui G9700 receiver off E-bay about a year ago. 2 hundred bucks, I recall. It had a blown left channel that my GENIUS repairman quickly diagnosed and repaired, and it has worked beautifully since. It is out in my garage, and runs four Sansui SP-3500 speakers wonderfully. I wizz off a lot of neighbors sometimes, so I gotta cool it when I'm playing CD's of Zep and Hendrix. I do wish it had pre-out and main-in jacks on it, but Sansui chose to leave this feature off on this last… Read Full Review

116546_Marcus.'s Response to Jeff Nix.'s Review

Written on: 17/07/2003

Let me know if you'd be interested in a Sansui G22000. (Exact same unit as G33000 except 220 RMS instead of 300.)

Bryan B's Response to Jeff Nix.'s Review

Written on: 14/02/2004

I would be interested in your G-22000. Please contac tme at Horsesource@aol.com
<br>
<br>THX

Sansui G-9700

“I originally purchased my Sansui G Series G9700...”

Written on: 04/09/2002 by Lance. (1 review written)

I originally purchased my Sansui G Series G9700 receiver in June of 1980 for considerable $$$. Like a fine wine, old '97 gets better (and more valuable) with age. Unfortunaetly my '97 has suffered the same fate as mentioned by my fellow owners listed here-a blown Transistor of the 75 watt very low destortion variety-which is proving difficult to find. I have kept this receiver in as new condition cosmetically and never made the mistake of throwing away the original box/packing. If anybody knows… Read Full Review

92552_Fidel.'s Response to 36233_Lance.'s Review

Written on: 26/04/2003

Supposedly, there was a whole warehouse of Sansui spare parts, accumulated by the company for all the product line over the decades, everything from power transistors to replacement speaker drivers, that were consigned to a landfill by some middle level executive idiot in 1989 during a change in ownership. The value of these parts, with all the old Sansui units around worldwide, is hard to believe. So it is difficult to find replacement parts.

Jagch's Response to 36233_Lance.'s Review

Written on: 08/03/2004

Hi, please, tell me the brand and reference for \"original\" power transistor, for repair my Sansui G9700 Thanks.

Sansui G-9700

“I was lucky enough to get this Sansui G Series G9700...”

Written on: 01/02/2002 by darkside -a pink floyd fan.. (1 review written)

I was lucky enough to get this Sansui G Series G9700 receiver from my brother who only paid 35 dollars for it at a thrift store. I gave him a pair of klh speakers for it. It is in perfect condition and i won't part with it for nothing. I also have a phase linear 400. It is a 400 watt per channel pre amp. With the sansui g-9700 i don't need the pre amp hooked up… Read Full Review

Sansui G-9700

“The Sansui G-9700 Pure Power DC stereo Reciever. ”

Written on: 19/04/2001 by Huer. (1 review written)

The Sansui G-9700 Pure Power DC stereo Reciever.

Each of the four channels have 4 75 watt power transistors- this means 300 watts per channel with a 600 watt per channel peak using 2 speakers (half that with 4 speakers you still have a 300 watt per channel peak). It has a .01% THD rating (total harmonic distortion) and fine tuned and precice digital and mechanical frequency displays with LED power bars. Even tho it is old, it is a wonderous thing to have. You can always hook it up to a… Read Full Review

6973_Joe.'s Response to 1732_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 08/12/2001

I bought this receiver when I was station in germany back in the 80's. It's been a great receiver. During a storm I got hit by lighting, which blown the power supply. Do you know where I can buy parts to repair this receiver
<br>
<br> Thanks,
<br> Joe

444499_Bkoch's Response to 1732_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 01/03/2009

I disagree with this review because...the Sansui G-9700 is an absolutely wonderful receiver, BUT - it's rated at 200 watts per channel (there's 2 channels), 8 ohms, .01% THD. With very precise tuning (Bias current, DC offset, etc) I've heard of some outputs in the 220 to 240 range, but that's about max. You can't re-engineer the circuitry to get those numbers, no matter what you do. By the way, I blew the left channel in my 9700, which took out the protection circuit (producing a very "dead" receiver - no power up a all!) and it took all of a week and a half to ascertain what parts I needed, order and receive them, and get them installed. In my spare time.

340826_Cavpa's Response to 1732_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 26/01/2008

I am confuse. i too own a G-9700 that I bought in Germany in the early 80's and I though it was 200 watts. You keep referring to it as 300 watts.

Earcandy's Response to 1732_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 25/09/2003

Wow well lightning seems to be the theme.
<br>I to have a 9700 devestated by a storm and would appreciate the information on the skilled technician able to restore this beauty to it's grandeur.
<br>Look forward to a response.
<br>celticmist@comcast.net

34333_Wayne.'s Response to 1732_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 22/08/2002

Great reviews and quite acurate.
<br>I bought my G9700 in Japan back in 1979 while I was in the Marine Corps. This unit has always been a real show piece and an excellent performer. As with one of the other reviewers, my unit was damaged by a power spike (lightning down range). I would greatly appreciate it if Huer, from Western Wisconsin could post or email the name of the technician that serviced his unit. I would like very much to contact him about my own situation. Alternatively, if someone else knows of a reputable tech who could handle the repair/or modification, please send their contact information along. (bass25lb@msn.com) is the e-mail address to reply to. Thanks in advance.

24861_Huer.'s Response to 1732_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 26/05/2002

Yes! My reciever is Finally done! The guy I had working on it is a real pro too! It turned out that I fried BOTH sides of transistors and a preamp. And when the preamp blew it took out a Huge resistor that if you plugged it into a wall socket it would take some time to overheat and blow.. And when that resistor went, the voltage selector inside the reciever EXPLOADED!! I really toasted it.. But anyway.. It's not a 600 watt reciever anymore. With the new transistors he put in it's 500 WATTS PER CHANNEL! I can't even believe it! Heh.. I have a 1000 watt G-9700!!! He's proud, I'm happy, the reciever's happy.. Cool huh?? And because this guy respected the reciever so much he did this for only $230 ! That's a steal when you think about how much he had to do to get it working again. He told me that if this was any less of a reciever he would have told me to throw it in the dumpster out back.

24580_Huer.'s Response to 1732_Huer.'s Review

Written on: 24/05/2002

Parts for any of the G-series are rare and expensive.. Mine has been in the shop for a year and a half and the guy's almost done.. Most of that time was waiting for parts- so you get the idea. But keep in mind these recievers are RARE.. Keep the thing even if it's only for parts!