National Extension College - Post July 2010 Reviews

National Extension College - Post July 2010 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for National Extension College - Post July 2010

National Extension College - Post July 2010

“I am currently a student with the NEC studying for...”

Written on: 03/03/2011

I am currently a student with the NEC studying for A-level biology. I would not recommend this college to anyone considering taking on distance learning. My tutor is never available to talk to, his advice when you eventually receive it is unhelpful and often inaccurate. And his manner when I try to call him is brusque, abrupt and makes me feel as if I am wasting his time. After following his advice on topic and method for my courseworks, I have subsequently been informed that my work is not… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2011

I completely agree with this review above. I'm currently an NEC student and i'm taking maths, psychology and biology.
The first two are great and the tutors i have assigned to me for maths and psychology are fantastic but the biology tutor i would not suggest. Only take the biology if you are willing to be completely on your own with all the work, and simply have the tutor mark what you've done.

Nec_Student_Support_Team's Comment

Written on: 13/09/2011

Dear Guest,

I am a member of the student support team at NEC and I am really disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with the service that you have received from your A Level Biology tutor.

To confirm, all NEC tutors have designated periods where they are available (minimum) twice a week to speak students. They are also contracted to respond to emails within 72 hours and have a specific number of designated slots to provide feedback for coursework, where they are expected to turnaround work in 7-10 days. Although tutors should aim to mark the work as quickly as possible, during coursework periods tutors have a large volume of queries and therefore may take their full turn around time.

I am sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your tutor. This is not something that we consider acceptable and would investigate this matter should this have been brought to our attention. Where a student is dissatisfied with their tutor, we will always be happy to transfer to an alternative.

Biology A Level is a very coursework intensive subject. For the AS and the A2 students must complete a minimum of four standard assignments, followed by 10 practical experiment write-ups and a report / investigation. Based on feedback from previous students, we have decided to implement an earlier submission deadline for Biology A Level coursework to stagger the submission. This will help to ease the pressure from tutors and make them more available.

NEC tutors are subject experts and in summer 2011 over 45% of NEC students achieved either an A* or A grade in A-Level Biology.

Kind regards,

NEC Student Support Team

“Complete waist of money. NEC is just a shed load of...”

Written on: 16/01/2011

Complete waist of money. NEC is just a shed load of money for a rather large book ! Exam fees i found to be £130 / £150 on top of the £250 i already payed. I changed jobs and managed to study at the local college for less than £200 with "proper tuition"
Not saying same for everyone, but i personaly i won't be using them again !… Read Full Review

Nec_Student_Support_Team's Comment

Written on: 13/09/2011

Dear Guest,

I am a member of the student support team at NEC and I am really disappointed to hear that you thought your NEC course was a waste of money.

As a learning provider we understand that distance learning is not suitable for everyone, however, alongside the materials themselves, we offer much more to the course.

To clarify, when you sign up for an NEC general education course the fee includes the hard copy course materials, (written by our in-house publishing team), a personal tutor to ask any course related questions and provide feedback to your assignments, an online community featuring pdfs of your course materials, FAQs, guidance on finding an exam centre (including a list of centres & the NEC partnership exam centres application form), past papers and the accompanying mark schemes, forums to chat to other students, a dedicated student support team for any administration queries.

At the enrolment stage we try to be as open and honest about the fee structure involved and state in the terms and conditions that exam fees are not included as part of the course. This is something that across the board is not included for most distance learning companies.

In the future we hope to be able to provide a package that incorporates the exams into the fees, with the help of our partnership exam centres.

I appreciate that you were lucky enough to be able to attend a local college to complete your course, however, for those that aren’t so lucky we do provide a community of support.

Kind regards,

NEC Student Support Team

“I am home educated as I have been in and out of...”

Written on: 07/10/2010

I am home educated as I have been in and out of hospital since I was a child. I have enrolled on 11 courses with NEC in total including GCSEs, IGCSEs and A Levels. I have really enjoyed all of the courses and have achieved B grades and above in all of the subjects I have undertaken so far. The materials are well written by NEC themselves, and they are split into small digestible units. Updates to materials are also provided if there are changes, which keeps them up to date. My tutors have all… Read Full Review