National Extension College - Post July 2010 Catalogue Reviews

National Extension College - Post July 2010 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for National Extension College - Post July 2010

National Extension College - Post July 2010

“Simplicity - assuming you actually know how to study”

Written on: 08/05/2013 by samue1son (1 review written)

I signed up last month for full A level English language. I've been sceptical about online college study (other than Open Uni) because none of them seem to be approved outside of their own recommendation. I found NEC through some well linked info from university and government website recommendations. Since I signed up, I was promptly sent materials which were boxed and sealed, followed up by an NEC representative calling to ensure I knew what I was doing and who my tutor was. I've also had… Read Full Review

“NEC A level Biology”

Written on: 02/03/2013 by golgicomplex (1 review written)

I recently enrolled on the A-level Biology course as a GCSE student that would like to experience distance learning and do an A-level in my favourite subject. My first thoughts when seeing the size of the course materials was daunting (!), but when I began doing the activities for AS and A2, I discovered that they are really high quality and that the course is very good value for money. I really like the Edexcel context-led spec, and I think that that was the best choice possible for this… Read Full Review

“Excellent”

Written on: 05/03/2012 by Ivylou (1 review written)

As a child I failed my GCSE Maths, so decided to give it another go as an adult. It is distance learning and it is up to the student to decide when to work during the 2 year study period, so I found it hard to motivate myself initially to study after a long day at work - once I got started there was no stopping me though! Couldn't ask for more from my tutor, he was always very polite and friendly and I got my assignments back well within the time that NEC states. The materials were really good… Read Full Review

“Please avoid like the plague.”

Written on: 09/02/2012 by la.gina (1 review written)

I enrolled at the NEC last year and I asked if it were possible to do my French AS and A2 Level to sit both exams at the same time, I was told yes (on the phone I just felt as if they wanted to get my money). It is awful, the teaching was basically non-existent, you send off your work to a 'tutor' mine was horrifically rude, would correct things with sentences that were overly long and complicated and would mark me down for not using things that I hadn't covered yet. If ever I emailed him… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to la.gina's Review

Written on: 06/03/2012

Dear La.Gina

We were very sorry to read your review and to hear how unhappy you are with the service you received from NEC. It is important to us that our students do well and enjoy their learning experience and very disappointing when we hear that this has not been the case.

In order for us to improve the service we offer it would be very helpful if you could contact your course coordinator at NEC to discuss your experience. We do hope to hear from you soon. Please feel free to call us free on 0800 389 2839.

Kind regards

Student Support Services
National Extension College

“no succes”

Written on: 26/11/2011

it seems very difficult to actually please the nec i always get negative reports from the tutor and wonder why i actually enrolled on the course - normally I get good grades - elsewhere it is very expensive too and i felt they hid the cost of the exams which they charge a lot of money for when local authority charges about a third of the cost although local authority don't offer the course - presumably due to lack of demand I am doing it because a local company asks for more qualifications… Read Full Review

“A star student – AS English Lang. and Lit and IGCSE...”

Written on: 24/10/2011

“I received funding from an educational charity – I was completely astonished I managed to get the money and really grateful. I enjoy studying which I do mostly on Fridays at home alone. I can get really stuck into it with no distractions. I was completely shocked to see I’d got an A and 100/100 on English Language and Literature A2. A week later I discovered that I’d achieved an A grade for IGCSE Spanish. I would definitely recommend the NEC. It helps if you have people encouraging… Read Full Review

“The best distance learning option”

Written on: 17/09/2011

Distance learning is always going to be hard. I am unable to return to college so I am studying 3 A-levels with the NEC. An A-level costs £430 for the materials and tutor support for 2 years which is quite good. The study books contain everything you need to know so they are very good. I haven't read them all yet but the Economics AS book was full of mistakes. The mistakes were small and not really a problem, but for the price I'm paying, I was disappointed that there were so many. I would… Read Full Review

Written on: 19/09/2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review NEC. We are very grateful for your positive rating, and just wanted to respond to your comments with regards to finding errors and sitting exams through NEC.

Firstly, we aim to provide high-quality learning materials to guide students through their whole course. These materials are produced in-house and written closely with the awarding body, to the specification provided. In the case where errors are found or where there are any changes made to the specification by the awarding body, we produce an update to ensure that the materials are as up-to-date as possible. I would like to apologise for any errors previously found within the A Level Economics pack. Unfortunately, this resulted due to a problem at the proof reading stage, however, any errors found have since been rectified.

With regards to sitting exams, we currently provide three partnership exam centres across the country whereby students are guaranteed a place to sit their exams for the majority of subjects that we offer. As a not-for-profit organisation, we provide this service as some students have faced difficulties in finding an examination centre as acceptance of private candidates varies largely depending on the area of the country you are in and whether the schools are over-subscribed (and therefore don’t have room for any additional exam candidates).

By all means we encourage students to find a centre locally and we even provide a list of centres that have previously hosted exams for our students. We do not expect students to come and sit exams through us, however, we provide an alternative for those who want it. Many students sit exams through us each year and the benefit of the service is that we provide a guaranteed place to sit exams, plus, we take the effort out of locating a centre as students simply complete the application form, and send it to us with their ID and we do everything on their behalf.

We openly explain to students on enrolment that they should expect to pay in the region of £140 - £170 per GCSE and around £100 per unit for A Level. Although fees do vary from centre to centre, in our experience the fees stated are typical and this includes the awarding body entry fee (the cost for the exam scripts, and to mark the papers or coursework where necessary), plus the administration costs of the exam staff to make the entries, and the cost of actually hosting the exam (invigilation, use of facilities etc). It is fantastic that you were able to find a centre that charged so little to sit the exams, however, in reality these centres are very rare and we try to be as transparent about any additional exam fees involved from the outset.

Thank you once again for your feedback and positive rating.

“Excellent course materials”

Written on: 13/09/2011 by tallicam (1 review written)

I'd been considering taking an A-level in mathematics for some time and after doing a little research I decided upon the National Extension College in Cambridge. Their website was a little hard to navigate and I struggled to enrol online, however after calling them and registering over the phone I have been very impressed by the level of service that they offer. The course materials arrived swiftly and are very well written and easy to follow (although the A-level itself is challenging!) and… Read Full Review

“Happy with course structure”

Written on: 10/09/2011

This course suited my needs. I needed to re-take two GCSE's and I was able to do this while still working full time and looking after my family. There was a lot of information to take in at first but the NEC were extrememly helpful and prompt with any queries I had. My tutors were very helpful and their guidance was very good. I obtained better grades than I thought I could achieve. Although it was expensive including exam fees this was the only way that I could achieve recognisable GCSE's… Read Full Review

“NEC Management Course”

Written on: 07/09/2011

I recently studied two management courses with NEC. The tutor was really helpful and she marked my assignments within a couple of days. The completion certificates arrived really quickly. I have now enrolled on a Diploma in Management course and am hoping to finish next year. Would definitely recommend NEC. Distance learning is certainly different but at least you can work when you want to. I don't have time to go to college due to family life so this really suited me… Read Full Review

“I am currently a student with the NEC studying for...”

Written on: 03/03/2011

I am currently a student with the NEC studying for A-level biology. I would not recommend this college to anyone considering taking on distance learning. My tutor is never available to talk to, his advice when you eventually receive it is unhelpful and often inaccurate. And his manner when I try to call him is brusque, abrupt and makes me feel as if I am wasting his time. After following his advice on topic and method for my courseworks, I have subsequently been informed that my work is not… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2011

I completely agree with this review above. I'm currently an NEC student and i'm taking maths, psychology and biology.
The first two are great and the tutors i have assigned to me for maths and psychology are fantastic but the biology tutor i would not suggest. Only take the biology if you are willing to be completely on your own with all the work, and simply have the tutor mark what you've done.

Written on: 13/09/2011

Dear Guest,

I am a member of the student support team at NEC and I am really disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with the service that you have received from your A Level Biology tutor.

To confirm, all NEC tutors have designated periods where they are available (minimum) twice a week to speak students. They are also contracted to respond to emails within 72 hours and have a specific number of designated slots to provide feedback for coursework, where they are expected to turnaround work in 7-10 days. Although tutors should aim to mark the work as quickly as possible, during coursework periods tutors have a large volume of queries and therefore may take their full turn around time.

I am sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your tutor. This is not something that we consider acceptable and would investigate this matter should this have been brought to our attention. Where a student is dissatisfied with their tutor, we will always be happy to transfer to an alternative.

Biology A Level is a very coursework intensive subject. For the AS and the A2 students must complete a minimum of four standard assignments, followed by 10 practical experiment write-ups and a report / investigation. Based on feedback from previous students, we have decided to implement an earlier submission deadline for Biology A Level coursework to stagger the submission. This will help to ease the pressure from tutors and make them more available.

NEC tutors are subject experts and in summer 2011 over 45% of NEC students achieved either an A* or A grade in A-Level Biology.

NEC Student Support Team

“Complete waist of money. NEC is just a shed load of...”

Written on: 16/01/2011

Complete waist of money. NEC is just a shed load of money for a rather large book ! Exam fees i found to be £130 / £150 on top of the £250 i already payed. I changed jobs and managed to study at the local college for less than £200 with "proper tuition"
Not saying same for everyone, but i personaly i won't be using them again !… Read Full Review

Written on: 13/09/2011

Dear Guest,

I am a member of the student support team at NEC and I am really disappointed to hear that you thought your NEC course was a waste of money.

As a learning provider we understand that distance learning is not suitable for everyone, however, alongside the materials themselves, we offer much more to the course.

To clarify, when you sign up for an NEC general education course the fee includes the hard copy course materials, (written by our in-house publishing team), a personal tutor to ask any course related questions and provide feedback to your assignments, an online community featuring pdfs of your course materials, FAQs, guidance on finding an exam centre (including a list of centres & the NEC partnership exam centres application form), past papers and the accompanying mark schemes, forums to chat to other students, a dedicated student support team for any administration queries.

At the enrolment stage we try to be as open and honest about the fee structure involved and state in the terms and conditions that exam fees are not included as part of the course. This is something that across the board is not included for most distance learning companies.

In the future we hope to be able to provide a package that incorporates the exams into the fees, with the help of our partnership exam centres.

I appreciate that you were lucky enough to be able to attend a local college to complete your course, however, for those that aren’t so lucky we do provide a community of support.

NEC Student Support Team

“I am home educated as I have been in and out of...”

Written on: 07/10/2010

I am home educated as I have been in and out of hospital since I was a child. I have enrolled on 11 courses with NEC in total including GCSEs, IGCSEs and A Levels. I have really enjoyed all of the courses and have achieved B grades and above in all of the subjects I have undertaken so far. The materials are well written by NEC themselves, and they are split into small digestible units. Updates to materials are also provided if there are changes, which keeps them up to date. My tutors have all… Read Full Review