Olhuveli, Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel Reviews

Olhuveli, Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Olhuveli, Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel

Olhuveli, Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel
Olhuveli, Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel

“Excellent resort, though be careful of the...”

Written on: 30/11/2009

Excellent resort, though be careful of the noise/smell/water discolouration on the side of the island nearest the new developments and building work. If you are on the All Inclusive package, just be very careful about any "invitations" you accept. We were invited to what appeared to be a complementary dinner to celebrate our 20th anniversary (no mention of a charge) after which we were presented with a bill for $100! On the last day I disputed this and refused to pay only to be told that the… Read Full Review

“We stayed at Olhuveli, which is in the South Male...”

Written on: 29/10/2009 by theangryhellcat (46 reviews written)

We stayed at Olhuveli, which is in the South Male Atoll, in 2007. It was an absolutely fantastic holiday, one of the best I have ever been on. The island is a small paradise - it's not too posh or stuffy but has all the luxuries you need.

The staff were all very friendly and did everything they could to help us. I was lucky enough to be there on my birthday and that night the kitchen staff all came out in a procession, banging pots and pans and presented me with a birthday cake whilst… Read Full Review

“We spent our Honeymoon at Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel...”

Written on: 13/09/2009

We spent our Honeymoon at Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel in 2009. If there were islands in heaven, I'm sure they look like this one or at least similar. The cuisine, amusements and villas all got our rating 6. That place really worths the money!Everybody's very frindly and always smiled… Read Full Review

“Me and my wife went to Olhuveli because it had been...”

Written on: 30/05/2006 by nrkd (1 review written)

Me and my wife went to Olhuveli because it had been hit by the Tsunami at the end of 2004. We felt that this was the best way to give back to Maldivian community, since we had spent our Honeymoon in the Maldives in August 2004 (Sun Island). The island was fantastic, and as I can not swim I could venture out into the shallow waters. Also, we spent our holiday staying in a deluxe villa at the Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel, but we upgraded to the deluxe Jacuzzi water villa. All the accommodation… Read Full Review

“We spent 1 week Half Board at the wonderful Olhuveli...”

Written on: 14/04/2006 by don tommaso (1 review written)

We spent 1 week Half Board at the wonderful Olhuveli beach & Spa Hotel, in a deluxe room, at the end of March 2006, and we absolutely loved it. 7 days of sun, turquoise sea, colourful fish and very helpful and polite personnel in a relaxing environment. The food was good, and plentiful considering you are on a small island in the middle of "nowhere". If the buffet style dining wasn't good enough, there was always the other 3 restaurants to choose from, where you could get better food than in… Read Full Review

“Also from our side no moaning like some of the other...”

Written on: 03/01/2005 by Gerhard (1 review written)

Also from our side no moaning like some of the other people did in their review. After 12 days tour through Sri Lanka we stayed for 5 days "All Inclusive" on Olhuveli. The transfer from the airport to Olhuveli was good, nice boat and the sea was calm. Unfortunately it was raining so our arrival wasn't that what you expect. We had a superior room and it was nice, clean and 5 meters distance to the sea. Just a note: If you want to book a watervilla and you're not from Japan; please forget it!… Read Full Review

“Like the last reviewer, I was slightly worried about...”

Written on: 22/11/2004 by thejoker (1 review written)

Like the last reviewer, I was slightly worried about our trip to Olhuveli after reading the reviews on this site. Thankfully, our holiday was brilliant, and I'm not too sure about what the other reviewers have been complaining about - I did notice a pattern however, people who go in the low + rainy season (April to September) seemed not to have a good time. People who went in the high season seem to enjoy themselves immensely - so take this into account when you book.

Firstly I'll start with… Read Full Review

“We just returned a few days ago from Olhuveli and I...”

Written on: 07/10/2004 by rach007 (1 review written)

We just returned a few days ago from Olhuveli and I was extremely apprehensive after reading several bad reviews of the resort. It seems to be a very individual thing whether you enjoy a holiday or not and is heavily dependant on individual taste! Personally we really enjoyed our holiday and thought it the best we had been on yet and I have quite a discerning taste!
We stayed in a water villa which I highly recommend if you can afford it, which had brilliant facilities (a new flat screen TV was… Read Full Review

“This was our first holiday to the Maldives. All...”

Written on: 09/08/2004 by smg (1 review written)

This was our first holiday to the Maldives. All previous reviews are very mixed in opinions and I can understand how this will be confusing to potential holiday makers to Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel.

The Island

The island is beautiful. Again I will stress that this is the only island we have visited in the Maldives but the sand is lovely, the sea/lagoon fantastic - very clear and a lovely colour but more so at one side of the island. It was a good size island for our needs. Just busy enough… Read Full Review

Dancav's Response to smg's Review

Written on: 07/09/2004

Good review but shame about the comments about the italians-are they the only people to eat pasta at this resort?!

243313_Katiemaggs's Response to smg's Review

Written on: 18/05/2006

Very helpful review! My boyfriend and I are going on 30th May and we both have mixed views!! I was also wondering if aybody could help me....
<br>
<br>My boyfriend smokes and he was just wondering whether you can buy cigarettes from the island and, if so, are they expensive???
<br>
<br>We went to Jamaica in 2004 (All Inclusive) and they handed out cigarettes free of charge at the hotel, is this the case at the Olhuveli?
<br>Many thanks

173186_Racheltan's Response to smg's Review

Written on: 07/10/2004

Many helpful reviews. will be there in 2 days' time. Booked ourselves in one of the water bungalows. This is not our 1st choice but all other resorts are fully booked.
<br>I am wondering about tipping. What's the norm for tipping at this resort? how much is reasonable?
<br>thanks.

“Arrived at Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel on the 26/07/04....”

Written on: 03/08/2004 by brentann (1 review written)

Arrived at Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel on the 26/07/04. Boat trip from airport longer than expected due to terrible weather. Booked deluxe room. First room taken to was appalling, looked like a bare prison cell, just three beds and a TV, bathroom was stained and dirty looking. All the bedding and towels looked grey and worn and rather frayed at the edges. Requested better room immediately. Credit to the manageress she didn't quibble and moved us to a far better room on the better side of the… Read Full Review

Brentann's Response to brentann's Review

Written on: 10/09/2004

It would be interesting to know why this review is unhelpful.

“Stayed at the Olhuveli in October 2003. We booked to...”

Written on: 17/07/2004 by timminsp (1 review written)

Stayed at the Olhuveli in October 2003. We booked to go back within a week of returning.

Trips are excellent value for money. Hire a Catamaran and skipper for 2 hours £35. Trip to see dolphins in their own natural habitat £10. Hire of sports equipment buttons. Diving on the reef, spectacular. Food, 1st class, hot and lots of choice. Waiters exceptional. Bar staff exceptional, Room box, excellent, Receptions staff excellent.

Can't wait to get back there.

Pete & Val… Read Full Review

“General Comment: ”

Written on: 15/06/2004 by colbird12 (1 review written)

General Comment:
Olhuveli Beach and Spa Resort - By Colin Jones

I booked to go to Olhuveli in the Maldives on the 9th May 2004 with my partner for 10 days All Inclusive. This wasn't our first choice and poor service from our agent "Dreamticket.com" resulted in this being our destination.

Arrival at Male was smooth and effortless (customs and immigration), transfer was arranged by Speedboat to the island. Was annoyed at the fact we were met by a rep who informed us the speed boat had not… Read Full Review

“Olhuveli Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel - I saw ROBEM's...”

Written on: 08/06/2004 by vacationer (1 review written)

Olhuveli Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel - I saw ROBEM's review before leaving for Olhuveli. Too late to cancel trip so decided to go and see for myself before commenting. I spent the first week of June on the island, and here are some comments.

(I did not verify whether the original review was written by the English Ents Manager of the resort or not. Even without checking there is enough to say. But just the thought of someone trying to get away with this type of tricky reviewing is what motivates… Read Full Review

“Olhuveli Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel - Having read an...”

Written on: 08/05/2004 by robem (2 reviews written)

Olhuveli Olhuveli Beach & Spa Hotel - Having read an extremely favourable review of this hotel we booked a dream holiday. Upon arriving we were to discover this review had been written by the English ents manager!
Upon arrival we were dropped at a nearby island only to have to wait for a rickety boat to take us to Olhuveli. As the holiday progressed we were disappointed to see the varying degree of 'welcomes' for guests. We soon noticed that if you arrived in small numbers you did not merit the… Read Full Review

Bdeacn's Response to robem's Review

Written on: 25/05/2004

I have read your review on the Olhuveli beach and spa resort and I am a little concerned to find that you were not satisfied with your holiday. I have paid the deposit and am due to pay the outstanding balance on a trip to this resort. I am going for my honeymoon on the 15th August so would really appreciate some advice if you believe it is a naff place to stay! Plase feel free to contact me on rebeccawickens@hotmail.com
<br>thank you Rebecca Wickens

Vacationer's Response to robem's Review

Written on: 08/06/2004

Hi,
<br>
<br>I saw your review before leaving for Olhuveli. Too late to make changes but decided to go and see for myself before commenting on your review. I just came back after spending a week at the beginning of June 04. I did not verify whether the original review was written by the English Ents Manager of the resort or not.
<br>
<br>Even without checking there is enough to say. But just the thought of someone trying to get away with this type of "fraud" is what motivates me to reply and also to write a review of my own. (see review)
<br>
<br>I tend to agree with your recommendation.

Terria's Response to robem's Review

Written on: 02/06/2004

I have just returned from this resort. This was our second visit to the Maldives.
<br>The resort is actually 3* plus. Although we were told it was 4*. We had 4* plus last year so did keep comparing!!
<br>I found some things needed to be improved such as the towels. They were old and frayed, so take your own. this applies to the beach towels and the bathroom towels, mainly hand towels. The seating arrangements at dinner because you are seated with another English couple who arrives the same time as you. We just agreed to stagger our dinner times but some couples did complain and get seated by themselves. There is also 10% added on to most things as well. This can hike up your final bill by quite a lot. In our case $200!!! I would recommend AI if you drink rather than HB because a coke is $3.50 plus 10%.
<br>However, the beaches are wonderful. The weather guaranteed. The staff were so friendly and kind. Their attitude was "it's your holiday enjoy it"
<br>We had a deluxe room which was cleaned twice a day and the bed turned down every night. We had a ground floor room although the upstairs ones were even nicer. We did have a four poster bed though which was scattered with petals on arrivala and the night before we left, and we had easy access to the beach.
<br>There is plently of entertainment if you want it. Something happens 7 nights a week, otherwise you can chill out and relax. The excursions are plentiful as well. Although we did most of them last year so did not go on any this year. I was told that the snorkelling is better at the end of the pier than on the trip!
<br>There is a clinic on the Island which most do not have and a beautiful spa. I had a cucumber wrap because I got burnt!! this was $40.
<br>We also went on the banana boat at the watersports centre and this was the best $10 spent. It was great fun.
<br>Unfortunaltely a couple we met did complain about their room having two beds pushed together on their honeymoon, bear in mind these guys had not lived together before their wedding! and they were moved immediately and dealt with courteously.
<br>I would not recommend buying gifts in the hotel shop because it is really expensive as are all resort shops. Instead buy at the airport. We needed some more aftersun, as I said I got burnt, and it cost us $30 in the hotel shop!!
<br>If you require any info I'm happy to oblige.
<br>I have no ties to the hotel whatsoever!

“We stayed on Oluveli Beach & Spa Hotel for two weeks...”

Written on: 18/04/2004 by jcolas (2 reviews written)

We stayed on Oluveli Beach & Spa Hotel for two weeks back in October 2003. We booked the deluxe room on an all-inclusive basis.

Upon landing at Male airport our very efficient and genuinely friendly tour representative dealt with us personally and escorted us to our speedboat. The very welcome wind in your face 45-minute speedboat journey was just what we needed following a pleasant and reasonably comfortable direct 12-hour flight with Air Lanka.

When we arrived we felt immediately relaxed… Read Full Review

“Olhuveli beach & spa hotel is 4T rated in Thomson's...”

Written on: 25/02/2004 by ericy (4 reviews written)

Olhuveli beach & spa hotel is 4T rated in Thomson's brochure & we would not disagree with that. The Island is about 50 mins by speedboat south of the airport at the end of a chain of Islands in the South Male Atoll. Very few comments about Olhuveli were found on the web before departure as it used to be operated by Japanese Company until 2 years ago, when it was known as Olhuveli view & 3* rated. It would seem quite a lot of money has been spent upgrading the facilities. Although only small… Read Full Review