Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R Reviews

Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R

Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R
Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R

“Jack of all trades, master of one...”

Written on: 13/03/2017 by Jaidyn4 (1 review written)

18 years and 163,000 miles....That is how long I have owned this beauty of a car, and I cannot see that time coming to an end anytime soon. These really are fantastic cars. From the very first day that I purchased this car brand new and drove it off the forecourt, I fell in love. The main attraction for me is first of all, the looks....The car gives off a real BTCC racing car vibe, something that is lost nowadays what with the fascination in superminis and hatchbacks. Next up is the… Read Full Review

“I hav owned my car now for 6 years and I haven't found...”

Written on: 23/06/2009

I hav owned my car now for 6 years and I haven't found a car, I would like to buy to replace it. Sure you have to keep it wound up, but everyone knows that's what you have to do with a VTEC.
The seats are comfy, still after the 80,000 miles I have travelled in it. The handling is superb, the limited slip differential makes you feel like it's rear wheel drive car at sometime. Little sign of understeer, so push the throttle(in the dry) round a country bend and it grips brilliantly....safely… Read Full Review

“It is not every day you find something which pleases...”

Written on: 24/11/2008 by jazzRS360 (15 reviews written)

It is not every day you find something which pleases both your heart and your head. For example, that bikini model smiling your way may well look a million dollars, but in the back of your mind you just know she isn't the sort of girl your parents want to see at the family dinners. Or maybe you want that plush, fashionable London flat but for the same money you could instead buy that slightly boring but bigger semi-detached house which will better accommodate your growing family. It's usually… Read Full Review

“It's a fab car if you haven't got one then get one or...”

Written on: 02/01/2008

It's a fab car if you haven't got one then get one or at least test drive one… Read Full Review

“What a relief and not a turbo in sight. The Honda...”

Written on: 22/05/2006 by silverleaf (2 reviews written)

What a relief and not a turbo in sight. The Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R engine (thankfully) is a secret to why this will go to the moon and back. Where as other " Japanese" makes look so tired after 60k. From suede trim to keen brakes, this car drives and feels safe. Having vowed in previous years to stick to rumbling V8's I'm converted - this Type R is vibrant and will sing long after other turbo's have lagged… Read Full Review

“Imported from Belgium in May 2000 and at a cost of...”

Written on: 20/04/2006 by Phil Type R (1 review written)

Imported from Belgium in May 2000 and at a cost of £18K (RRP £24K) and asked for the Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R to be ordered WITHOUT the high wing spoiler as I did not want to be unduly bothered by the police or Novas/Saxos etc (yawn).

Nothing has gone wrong in 6 yrs and 85,000 miles! I'm still on the original clutch!!

The front tyres last 15-20,000 miles and the rears 25-30,000.

I always run it on Optimax and on the motorway at 80-85 get 30-33mpg (27-29 on normal unleaded).

Doesn't use… Read Full Review

Andytyper's Response to Phil Type R's Review

Written on: 03/11/2010

totally agree. grate car but desperately needs a 6th gear for the long distances.

“Had the Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R about 4 months and...”

Written on: 06/03/2006 by James79 (1 review written)

Had the Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R about 4 months and can't believe how underated it is. I have wanted one for a few years but had never driven one so I was in for a suprise when I got to test drive one and saw what it did at 5800 rpm and also how well it corners. I absolutely love the car, it is so fast to drive yet can be driven economically if you want to. My local Honda dealership recommends 1. Running it on Shell Optimax 2. And I quote '' thrashing it frequently '' to stop carbon deposits… Read Full Review

“The Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R is a fast car with 220mhp....”

Written on: 10/11/2005 by fimmy (1 review written)

The Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R is a fast car with 220mhp. It has 17" alloy wheels, a big spoiler in silver, and it also has Recaro seats… Read Full Review

Fizzyda1's Response to fimmy's Review

Written on: 17/01/2006

The Honda Accord Type-R are one of the best saloon cars, absolutley powerful and great round bends at high speed, beautiful car.

“I bought mine brand new, with 10 miles on the clock,...”

Written on: 06/08/2005 by JonDoe (3 reviews written)

I bought mine brand new, with 10 miles on the clock, and I have been generally very pleased with it, 4+ years later. I owned a 1.8 LSS Auto prior to this, all the toys etc, and SSS gearbox - you lose all of these with the Type-r, but this isn't about toys.
I do not consider myself a 'boy racer' or 'mod-man' etc... as you may have picked up from my previous 'flatcap/grandad' car, however, I do do a lot of mileage, and spend a lot of time behind the wheel, of this, and many other cars.
It has… Read Full Review

8Thchild's Response to JonDoe's Review

Written on: 28/11/2005

I have a question - what is the engine code for the type R engine on the accord and what is the power and torque like? Is it a f20b? I want all the information that I can get.

Phil Type R's Response to JonDoe's Review

Written on: 16/05/2006

Engine is H22A. Horsepower is 209bhp or 212PS. Torque is 157 lb/ft.

230099_Jonarves's Response to JonDoe's Review

Written on: 15/02/2006

The Accord Type-R (CH1) has a H22A7 powerplant. 215Hp and 220 Nm

“Well it has been nearly a year since I parted with...”

Written on: 01/08/2005 by Jimmy Footski (3 reviews written)

Well it has been nearly a year since I parted with just over £8,000 for my W Reg Honda Accord Type R, and I'm still pretty happy with my purchase!!!

I do a lot of miles and really should have bought something else...ie a diesel or something boring but considering I've done nearly 25k since Sept 04 it's not been that bad. The transmission problems haven't gone away though and I now have to replace the clutch master cylinder some time in the near future and now also have a slight ticking noise… Read Full Review

“We spent 2yrs looking at cars, but couldn't find...”

Written on: 29/05/2005 by jenson7andy (1 review written)

We spent 2yrs looking at cars, but couldn't find anything to live up to a Honda, so located a red type R on the Honda website, 2002 bought for £10'999, with 12 months warranty, 12 months AA cover. While driving we seem to attract the attention of rep's in mondeo's and vectra's who seem to get rather close to the rear bumper, ah, burn up they want, ah, sad they are, 6000revs ahhhhhrrrrr, gone they "R"… Read Full Review

“I bought my 2002 Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R six months...”

Written on: 27/05/2005 by bigbirdtyper (1 review written)

I bought my 2002 Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R six months ago. I spent eight months looking for the right one for me! I wanted a milano red, 2002 model, from a Honda dealer and had to travel to Wigan twice (from Scotland) to buy it! But it was worth the hassle.

Over the years I have owned a Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi, Astra GTE 16v, Corrado VR6, Vectra GSi, RS2000 and lately a Mondeo ST200. The Honda is BY FAR the best all round car I have had. Its a great handling car, easy to push hard round bends… Read Full Review

Magoo1001's Response to bigbirdtyper's Review

Written on: 09/06/2010

I found this review very helpful because... agree with it. Owned my type r for three weeks now and love it

“I agree with all above reviews about the Honda Accord...”

Written on: 16/05/2005 by spoole (1 review written)

I agree with all above reviews about the Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R Sports Car, Totally impressive performance for the relatively cheap price.
Love the seats, love engine bay, love tail wing, love vtec, I love driving the beast.

Just picking out some probs that I have had,
The reverse gear problem is annoying and sounds expensive
Interior is bland but adequate.
Exhaust is a little unsightly, replace with scorpion if you can.
Ride hight is massive, great for clearing speed bumps but does give rise… Read Full Review

Fse's Response to spoole's Review

Written on: 19/05/2005

There aren't many mod available as the accord type-r was never made in japan, home of 90% of all mod's available.
You can get a certain amount like green filter panel replacment/induction kits, fse valve, magnacore ignition leads but the rest is few and far between. Superchips, powerchips nor starchips do anything for the type-r.
One gem is Hayward & Scott. They are a custom exhaust manufacturer and did a peach of a job for me over a year ago now - cheaper than a lesser quality scorpion system to!

Andytyper's Response to spoole's Review

Written on: 03/11/2010

the revease gear you mentioned is a costly problem and very commen on the ATRs unfortinatly. its the 5th gear syncro. had that problem on mine. ended up having to rebuild the gearbox costing £1200

“Everything about this Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R Sports...”

Written on: 31/01/2005 by JamesO (3 reviews written)

Everything about this Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R Sports Car makes it a joy to own. After 3 years of trouble-free running I am struggling to find a worthy replacement at anything near the same cost as the Honda Accord Type-R. For sheer everyday use-ability and driver satisfaction/thrills this car is very hard to beat. No wonder EVO Magazine give it a coveted 5-Star rating. It's a real shame there will never be another...? Not sure I can bare to see mine go, the best car I've owned by a mile… Read Full Review

“I bought my Honda Accord 2.2 Type R Sports Car brand...”

Written on: 24/12/2004 by Midland Blue (1 review written)

I bought my Honda Accord 2.2 Type R Sports Car brand new two and a half years ago and it's never let me down. The only visits to the garage have been for routine (9,000 miles) services, new tyres and three visits to repair the air conditioning. Most people choose the aircon as an option and once you've got it, you tend to use it, but it's nowhere near as good as what you get as standard in any cheap hatchback.

With over 60,000 miles on the clock I cannot complain. The fabled VTEC engine has… Read Full Review

Andytyper's Response to Midland Blue's Review

Written on: 03/11/2010

when i first had my accord type r, the air-con was awsome. the car went like a mobile fridge in the summer time, untill one of the pipes decided to split. had it fixed and re-gas, its never been the same.

“I've now had my Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R Sports Car...”

Written on: 01/12/2004 by Jimmy Footski (3 reviews written)

I've now had my Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R Sports Car since the end of Sept 04, living in Swindon the European home of Honda you would of thought that there would have been a couple of examples to choose from on the second hand market !!?? WRONG!!! in the end I had to travel to Kent to have a look at the only one in my price range that had the spec and mileage I was looking for...having parted with my £8,500 for my W Reg with 43K on the clock and a FHSH, new brakes and new'ish tyres!! I… Read Full Review

Richard1White's Response to Jimmy Footski's Review

Written on: 10/07/2005

Hello, I bought my accord type R bout 3 months ago, and i can honestly say its the best car ive ever had, and that includes a gt4, and an fto! The power of this machine is unbeleivable ecspecially when you hit the v-tech zone at 5800 rpm then it takes off like a rocket but fortunatley it handles amazingly as well with its excellent 4wd, the looks are stunning and the price was great too a 51 reg for £9500 with only 25k on clock! So far my only concerns are when you hit the v-tech zone it's so easy to red line and pop it out of gear ecspecially when in first gear because of its power and it will pin you back and nearly rip the steering wheel out of your hands!

Jimmy Footski's Response to Jimmy Footski's Review

Written on: 07/09/2005

Hello Richard,
<br>
<br>good to see there are others out there with taste in automobiles !!!
<br>I'm a bit confussed though that you stated within your comments that yours has 4WD??? I have heard that these things exist but were'nt on sale in the UK...is yours an import ???

“I used to love my Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R Sports Car...”

Written on: 25/11/2004 by braddersmvf4 (2 reviews written)

I used to love my Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R Sports Car but eventually it became tiring having to thrash it to move along at a brisk pace. There is just hardly any power below 6000 revs!
Have bought a skyline now & boy does it murder the type R in every way !
Sell yours now & get a skyline!… Read Full Review

Jameso's Response to braddersmvf4's Review

Written on: 31/01/2005

That's like saying sell your M3 and get a 911 Turbo because it's better....yeah well it would be?!

“I reckon the Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R is the best...”

Written on: 16/09/2004 by acbloke (1 review written)

I reckon the Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R is the best sports saloon this side of a BMW M5. There are plenty of fast cars out there, but few handle as well as the type R. Most drivers would find themselves in a ditch if they tried to keep up with the Honda on a twisty B road. What a package, fast reliable and safe. I have never driven a car that is simply painted to the road like the type R. I have been in plenty of cars and I can tell you, value for money, pound for pound you will not get a… Read Full Review

“Introduction To The Type-R: ”

Written on: 22/07/2004 by l9nux (1 review written)

Introduction To The Type-R:

Many of you may be familiar with the already acclaimed Integra Type-R, but it's quieter and subtly more impressive counterpart the Accord Type-R is well worth a look if you're considering buying a performance car such as the Honda Type-R range. It's 209bhp engine will propel you from 0-60 in 7.1 seconds and give you a top speed of 140mph, although some may tell you it's 0-60 is anything between 6.8 and 7.2 seconds.

It's a front wheel drive, but don't let that put… Read Full Review

172706_Gilesyboy's Response to l9nux's Review

Written on: 03/10/2004

Can any one who owns an accord help me with a couple of points, I am looking at a 2nd hand one at the moment and the red paint on the engine block has peeled off in places? Is this a normal occurance?
<br>
<br>Also how many keys do you get with the car??? Should there be an overide key for the immobiliser??? It is a W-2000 reg.

Jameso's Response to l9nux's Review

Written on: 31/01/2005

Agree generally; but noisy exhaust? I'd rather not sound like a Chav thanks! The engine is fantastic inside the cabin at over 5500rpm. I'd disagree about private buying - bought mine off a guy who had good reason for sale - he'd clearly cherished it and had it main dealer serviced early...as have I over the last 3 years. Mine is welcome to any inspection when I sell it this summer. You won't find a better performance bargain for under £8k second-hand?? EVO Magazine have independently and reliably tested 0-60 at 6.1 sec.

Jameso's Response to l9nux's Review

Written on: 31/01/2005

Yep, paint is going on my block a bit, but it's nearly 6 years old and not a problem - exceptional engine.

L9Nux's Response to l9nux's Review

Written on: 01/11/2004

Hi,
<br>
<br>Yes, I wrote this review about and my Accord Type-R which also has this problem. It seems to be fairly common, but it's not that expensive to get it re-painted and the DOHC VTEC polished up again to look nice and shiny!
<br>
<br>Don't let this put you off buying one though... I'm so pleased with mine and I've had it nearly 1 year now.
<br>Ray.

“This Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R Sports car has spoiled me...”

Written on: 19/07/2004 by chrisob (1 review written)

This Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R Sports car has spoiled me for most others! I have owned a BMW 3 series, cavalier SRI's, and others, but nothing compares to the handling and sheer enjoyment of this. My work has some pool cars that i use regularly, a Vectra SRi 150 V6, Jaguar X-type, Mondeo 2.0, Omega 2.2, and I used to quite enjoy ripping them all (when it's not your car, you tend to take it to the limit every time, I find) however they all feel rubbish now after owning the type-r for a couple of… Read Full Review