Lada Niva Reviews

Lada Niva
Lada Niva

“Lada Niva Review”

Written on: 26/10/2013

I bought my Niva second hand in 2ooo from a old chap who had really looked after it since new(1991).I had some rust repairs done(new metal)& i fitted a electronic rust control unit(ERPS),no more rust in 13 years.It has a 1.6 LT engine & has been very reliable.It has been great offroad & have only been stopped once in really churned up dry sand but i reversed out no trouble.I do all repairs myself,that's the beauty of a niva they are pretty simple to work on.Keep up with oil changes new filters… Read Full Review

“Great Offroad Machine!”

Written on: 24/07/2013

I own a 1989 Lada Niva (Vaz 2121) and if you treat it right and do the regular maintenance and not let it rust between offroad trips, it will live forever. The beautiful thing about these small capable machines, is that the have the simplest mechanical, electrical and structural design. If it breaks down, its VERY easy and VERY CHEAP to fix, and it wont cost a fortune. Great value for money, its like a mini Hummer H1. Off-road capabilities; i need not tell you how perfect this short wheelbase… Read Full Review

“I have owned my niva for about 4 years and i can...”

Written on: 01/11/2010

I have owned my niva for about 4 years and i can genuinly say i have never had so much fun in a car. It was one of the last ones imported to England in 1997 so it came with the 1.7 engine with injection from GM. Yes its noisy, not very fast and not great on mpg. But, and this is very important, it is a proper off road vehicle. In standard form its as good as a Landrover and just makes all the others look silly. Modification? You dont need to spend a fortune, just add a good set of mud tyres and… Read Full Review

“This is one of the most capable off road vehicles I...”

Written on: 26/04/2008

This is one of the most capable off road vehicles I have ever driven, with the nobbly tyres and long suspension travel. The light weight, and short wheelbase make it a strong rival to any landcruiser or Land Rover… Read Full Review

“I do own a Lada Niva jeep myself! and won't think of...”

Written on: 18/01/2008 by andrewfarhat (1 review written)

I do own a Lada Niva jeep myself! and won't think of getting other jeep for offroading! I'm happy with it results! I did some changes so it looks better from the outside! and changes it seats so it's getting better from the inside! As for the noise I solved this problem by adding a good audio car system!… Read Full Review

“Best value for money 4x4.”

Written on: 12/08/2006 by Kiwi Kid (1 review written)

Best value for money 4x4… Read Full Review

“I own a Lada Niva ute style side it's great ”

Written on: 30/04/2006 by nivaowner (1 review written)

I own a Lada Niva ute style side it's great
I've put extractors, Weber Carbee, Bosskit, BWA mags, Sports Air filter, 2inch lift kit, bullbar and a paint job.
It goes a lot better now… Read Full Review

“I bought two Lada Niva's real cheap and fixed one....”

Written on: 25/08/2005 by zixxerboy (1 review written)

I bought two Lada Niva's real cheap and fixed one. Including the small winch I mounted it was cheaper than a set of tires and rims for most anything else. I had a hoot bashing through the bush going places bigger truck couldn't get to.

Unfortunately they are of Unibody construction and a "consumable" rather than a collectable in our salty winter climate. Mine rotted through where the trailing arm for the rear axle mates to the body… Read Full Review

“I bought the Lada Niva 4x4 from an elderly man who...”

Written on: 05/02/2005 by AussieEagle (1 review written)

I bought the Lada Niva 4x4 from an elderly man who used it to comute between suburbs. It still had the original "snow tyres" on - excellent in the sand of western australia. The carby needed some TLC at first but it runs well now. It drives in the sand dunes without a whimper. I've had many and various cars, utilities, wagons etc. but this Niva I really enjoy. It is probably the most underrated 4 x 4 around today. All the modern 4 x 4's around today need a university degree in… Read Full Review

“Bought the Lada Niva 4x4 car as an early (pre Cossack)...”

Written on: 24/09/2004 by mHaynes (5 reviews written)

Bought the Lada Niva 4x4 car as an early (pre Cossack) left hander. Looked in great nick but really wasn't. In the six months I owned it I spent the purchase price on it and then some. Saying that it was lots of fun until it finally died when the front axel fell off, ripping the bolts out of the alloy cast gearbox… Read Full Review

“I love this Lada Niva 4x4. I cooked my first engine on...”

Written on: 19/08/2004 by Doug Smoke (1 review written)

I love this Lada Niva 4x4. I cooked my first engine on the way home from picking it up, bought another for £50 sterling, beats my dads Landrover 3.5 V8 in a straight tug of war in a plowed field. Mind you, I was wearing goodyear Wranglers, & he had the wheels & tyres off a disco. Traction beats power.
Gearbox slow, but solid. Low ratio is like tractor. Claims to have a fith gear, but I can't find it. Buy one for next to nothing, take it to off road hill climbs, & laugh at folks in TD5… Read Full Review

“I've just got my Lada Niva a week now (12 May 2004) -...”

Written on: 12/05/2004 by WayneSlabbert (1 review written)

I've just got my Lada Niva a week now (12 May 2004) - got it last week "5th" - and already had it up the mountains in Stellenbosch area in South Africa - Western Cape area. Took a couple of pictures.

Had too use 0 stars for reliability, as no issues to report yet… Read Full Review

Rade's Response to WayneSlabbert's Review

Written on: 13/04/2005

Hi Wayne, my name is Rade and I live in Cape Town, I am interested in Lada Nivas and was wondering where you bought yours from and for how much, if I may ask. my email address is bskrad001@mail.uct.ac.za if you could please contact me.
<br>Thanks
<br>Rade

“After having had a 2 Nissan Patrols and a Landrover...”

Written on: 22/04/2003 by willy. (1 review written)

After having had a 2 Nissan Patrols and a Landrover Discovery, I traded down to a Lada Niva while working in the middle east. It was amazing offroad, impossible to stop in sand even towing a trailer and with 4 beefy fishermen on board. We towed out a GMC Jimmy with a bust trannie that had failed to be recovered by another Jimmy. On the road it was awful, noisy and slow, it cooked the transfer box having dumped the fluid and the electrics were a nightmare… Read Full Review

118658_John.'s Response to 91237_willy.'s Review

Written on: 25/07/2003

The Lada niva is a cheap constant 4 wheel drive, powered by a 1600 or 1700 petrol motor, or in some cases, by any other motor and gearbox an owner can shoehorn into it.
<br>Because it has usually powered only by a small 4 cylinder engine, and the gearing is for off road use, it will be slow on the road...unless you fit taller tyres, open the exhaust out to 50mm (2 inch) and replace the carb
<br>with a Weber 32/36 DGAV or similar. Then it will cruise all day at 110kmh indicated (or near 70mph in real terms)
<br>As for unreliability, well I thrash my little Lada and ask it to do things that I should really do in a modified vehicle. I have been in sloppy mud almost to the door handles, surging back and forth to try to get over a step in the track.
<br>That allowed water/mud into the starter motor, alternator and clutch housing. I drove 2 hrs to home, with no starter motor and no alternator, and a ceramic radiator (dried mud covering half of it) And with a plug of mud blocking the second throat of the carb where it had sucked mud.) The alternator and starter motor needed replacement, as did the clutch and release bearing. Perhaps it is my fault and I should have prepared the Lada for it by plumbing in air pressure to the
<br>clutch housing, thereby keeping the water/mud out. Other than that, only the window winder has frustrated me, and if you ever have to repair one, it is a drum and cable/pulley arrangement. However with the lining of the door removed, the window stays up or down depending where you place it.
<br>That's the beauty of something with 1970's technology, you can fix it if it breaks. As for the comment that the transfer case dumped all it's fluid, well there are only two ways that can happen, one the seal failed catastrophically, or two, that the case filled with water (it needs to be pressurised/tubed to a point high in the vehicle) which then forced the fluid out.
<br>Could happen to any vehicle that is not prepared for serious offroading. I am impressed by the comments that it could tow a Jimmy out of sand, obviously the tires were the right size and at the right pressure to be able to acheive that!!
<br>One thing could make the Lada Niva even more impressive, and that is an ARB airlocker, or even a Limited slip diff for the rear. As soon as you cross axle, you need a tow. But you shouldn't be doing serious 4wd stuff without an accompanying vehicle, anyway.

Iannz's Response to 91237_willy.'s Review

Written on: 20/05/2004

I have an old Lada Niva that is used for running around the farm and sometimes on the beach. I have got stuck but when I have it has mostly been my own fault I am always able to get out on my own. I have towed out parger 4WDs that have been unable to get them selves out. It is a great 4WD.