Freeview Reviews

Summary

Review Centre would love to here what you think of the Freeview service in contrast to other forms of digital TV. You can read and write reviews of Freeview Boxes.
Freeview - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Freeview

Freeview
Freeview

“As it`s free it`s good ”

Written on: 19/01/2014 by max-sound (10 reviews written)

If your not a heavy tv watcher and basically simply need channels 1-5 with the choice of maybe " dave " or up to 60 other channels to choose from like sky news etc etc then free view is perfect and there are 4-5 main channels in HD as well but to be fair the picture on most channels wipe the floor with sky tv and free view is FREE FREE FREE ( unlike sky who want at least £30.00 a month ) and are as much use as a canoe with a hand brake lol .Quite simply if your not bothered to much about… Read Full Review

“Much better than Sky”

Written on: 25/11/2013 by sassuolo (3 reviews written)

I find freeview to be beneficial to me, it has just about enough channels to satisfy my viewing. I dont watch enough tv so freeview is good for me as its free and its there if I want to watch it. If I had Sky I feel I wouldn't get my moneys worth (well its crud its not worth the money they charge) I'm glad I dont have to worry about DD coming out of my bank to pay. I guess the only slight drawback is there are quite a few shopping channels and silly part time channels that seem to only open up… Read Full Review

“Its free thats what you pay your tv licence for.”

Written on: 19/09/2013

lastestFreeview is good has its moments...i spent 250 pounds installing new aerial system and wired up the whole house with 6 tv points using Labgear boosters and amps.. as my area is abit ropey with tv reception as i live in the valley. Its fine it works am happy with it.. as i am deaf i just wish more channels were subtitled. one thing i find very annoying is re tunes to get new stations... it can be a right pain at times!!! some latest freeview boxes DO re tune themself but not always the… Read Full Review

“I think Freeview is awesome.”

Written on: 16/06/2012 by Simon_F1 (8 reviews written)

This is a awesome service compared to just the 5 terrestrial channels that we use to have. i think if only we could get more HD channels then i would be even more happy with it. i use a 1Tb Humax freeview + box and i can record 2 channels and watch a 3rd if its on the same multiplexer. I would be lost without freeview… Read Full Review

“Freeview and Digital TV”

Written on: 30/03/2012 by chriswp (2 reviews written)

We bought a new TV with Freeview and a Digital aerial but everyday we lose signal I thing its a total waste of time. There are channels I still can't get. I think we should have been given a choice as to whether we want to go Digital I for one would have chosen to stay terrestrial. I wouldn't have Sky because I think we pay enough through the TV licensing system, why can't the BBC get their revenue from Adverts like the other channels?… Read Full Review

Freeky's Response to chriswp's Review

Written on: 07/06/2012

That sounds like you simply have problems with your Aerial equipment, remember the right aerial (correctly aligned) is not sufficient, if your still using your old analogue cable it most likely is loosing you much of the digital signal, the old cheap cable is no good for digital, replace with quality double screened cable.

Switching off analogue is a great boon as it increases the number of possible channels and allows the digital signal to be boosted so allowing those with previously limited reception to benefit too,

I think it would be awful if the BBC had to rely on adverts, there are plenty of channels that do that already, we don't want all the same. Plus don't you get fed up of 5mins of adverts for every 10 mins of program!!

Freeky's Response to chriswp's Review

Written on: 11/06/2012

Sorry to hear that, what you describe is typical of poor cable which is picking up interference causing bad reception. If you check the signal quality measurement on your receiver is it poor or does it vary widely, both indicate cable issues.

If your splitting your aerial feed, don't, unless you use a proper digital splitter (not the aerial y splitters of old)

Most faulty installations I`ve looked at resolved to cable/connection issues. One customer said can't be cable, it only goes around the room, that (cheap) cable was loosing 30dB, most of his signal.

Chriswp's Response to chriswp's Review

Written on: 08/06/2012

My reponse to freeky I do have all the correct equipment how is it possible to have all the channels one minute and then the next day either no Chanel's or just a few most people here have sky but I begrudge paying yet another fee..

When we had the nice weather a few weeks ago it was much worse.

Christine wheeler parker

“FREEVIEW - the actual Freeview that is NOT not the...”

Written on: 12/06/2010 by judylugg (45 reviews written)

FREEVIEW - the actual Freeview that is NOT not the channels available - they are ANOTHER story.

Because it is free does it mean it has to be rubbish? Sadly, I believe that to be the case here! Incidentally we do have up to date equipment and wiring so there is no problem with those.
We have had this 'service'(??) for several years and have been subjected to so many changes of channel - yes, it's there, oh no, it's not, yes,it's back, so many times we have lost count.
When we have researched… Read Full Review

Freeky's Response to judylugg's Review

Written on: 15/06/2010

Without you stating what equipment you are using & if your aerial system has been correctly updated to digital your tyrade against freeview is meaningless.
<br/>
<br/>Many fail to realise freeview requires a good wideband aerial & good quality cable/connections to work (like sky does). Also nearby plants & trees in line of site to the transmitter will affect reception, as can buildings.
<br/>
<br/>There are many freeview boxes, some work better than others (the sony is best) if you have a poor one, try others.
<br/>
<br/>Freeview is currently transmitted at low power to avoid conflicts with the analogue, once the analogue signals are switched off the power will increase (as well as channel numbers) so reception will improve.

Judylugg's Response to judylugg's Review

Written on: 18/07/2010

WE DO HAVE ALL THE RELEVANT NECESSARY UP TO DATE EQUIPMENT - WE STILL CANNOT GET SOME OF THE CHANNELS. WHAT I HAVE SAID IN MY TIRADE (TYRADE???)IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE

“It may not have as many channels as sky, but it is...”

Written on: 24/09/2008 by Freeky (41 reviews written)

It may not have as many channels as sky, but it is continually expanding & will get a big boost after the 'switch off' Compared to sky it a dream to use and channel selection is much more natural.

There are many boxes available from under £20, though quality is not always good, however there are many 'integrated' tv sets now available, so getting set up is easy (most boxes set themselves up automatically on initial switch on.

Once have your aerial installation correctly set up you should… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“I am so angry with the freeview service! needs to be...”

Written on: 28/07/2008 by kier (1 review written)

I am so angry with the freeview service! needs to be sorted out. I have invested in over 200 pounds in products and arials to gain a average standard of tv viewing. The service will worsen when moped motorcycle drive past the road of the home, microwave is used (10metres away) and even general movement walking in the proximety of the arial. I believe digital tv at the moment is awful. I miss so much news conversation words because of such happenings and low coverage which is not acceptable, its… Read Full Review

Freeky's Response to 386722_kier's Review

Written on: 24/09/2008

You clearly have problems with your aerial and/or down leads, its a digital service so any old areal/leads wont do. You may also need your aerial properly aligned for digital.
<br/>
<br/>The service is currently compromised as it has to 'fit' around the analogue, once that has gone it will be much better.
<br/>
<br/>Try a 'quality' receiver, like the Sony, many cheap receivers perform badly, you get what you pay for.

Judylugg's Response to 386722_kier's Review

Written on: 12/06/2010

Oh how I agree - see my review

“I got Freeview and got rid of my cable as I wasn't...”

Written on: 16/04/2008

I got Freeview and got rid of my cable as I wasn't watching it much. It was ok at first but lately its useless and the reception is awful
If anyone knows why this is please could you let us know.
Thanks… Read Full Review

Freeky's Comment

Written on: 25/09/2008

Get your aerial fixed, this is hardly a review of the service!!

“Digital Terrestrial TV is coming of age. ”

Written on: 09/01/2007 by Ieuanfawr (68 reviews written)

Digital Terrestrial TV is coming of age.

Make sure you have a good signal -that often means a new "digital ready" aerial. I paid £65 - worth every penny - the difference was more than just noticeable, despite the fact the analogue pictures seemed OK. Recordings to DVD are indistinguishable from the original.

The range of features available, their ease of use and response time and updating can depend on the set top box or, as is now more common, the digital TV set.

EPG (Electronic… Read Full Review

“I got FREEVIEW Digital TV over the holidays, and I...”

Written on: 09/10/2005 by kiyawhite (56 reviews written)

I got FREEVIEW Digital TV over the holidays, and I can't say that it doesn't have it's problems, but it's still a great form of digital television!

I previously viewed the basic 5 analogue channels in a medium to weak digital signal area. Yes, a good reception for analogue, but not what I'd call a variety of channels. That's when I finally thought it was time for a change. I fitted FREEVIEW, a Samsung 2-scart Digital+ DV3 Terrestrial Receiver (worth almost £100), with my present 16 element… Read Full Review

“We have just changed from NTL analogue. Freeview...”

Written on: 23/04/2005 by wilbur9 (1 review written)

We have just changed from NTL analogue. Freeview gives a much broader range of channels than terestrial analogue - FREE! and it's such good value. The Top-Up option gives as good a range as we had with NTL, but cheaper. The basic Freeview package provides a range of channels to suite the whole family. If you are looking for Sports or Film channels then this is probably not the best option.
.... And for £35 for a freeview box it's cheap enough to try it and see without breaking the bank!… Read Full Review

“We have just purchased Freeview after realising...”

Written on: 15/09/2004 by vherbertsmith (25 reviews written)

We have just purchased Freeview after realising exactly how much we were spending a month on Sky Digital TV, whose prices seem to keep rising. We are very happy with it. You should be careful as a lot of the `free' channels are rubbish (shopping and auction channels mainly) but you do get `CBeebies' and `CBBC' which are a godsend if you have children, a couple of decent video music channels as well as `Sky Sports News', BBC3 and ITV2. You can pay extra to have channels such as UK Gold and E4… Read Full Review

“When I first heard of Freeview I thought, what a great...”

Written on: 06/05/2004 by johnny123 (1 review written)

When I first heard of Freeview I thought, what a great idea. 30+ free channels of Digital TV which I can recieve for a one-off payment for the box. However, I find the majority of these channels completely useless, for example bid-up.tv. Take a look at the selection of channels they give you, and ask yourself, "How many will I actually watch?". I would recommend even the cheapest service from Sky. Trust me you wont be wasting your money there. If you do decide to buy a box then check out… Read Full Review

Gendy943's Response to 154577_johnny123's Review

Written on: 06/08/2004

Even the cheapest service from Sky?.. No ITV2 for starters and how about having to wade through all that free-to-air dross ..the biblepunchers etc. If you thought that "bid-up Tv" was bad then what about all the selling garbage on Sky? 100's of'em!!!
<br>
<br>Freeview is really good value for money when all you pay for is the box -ONCE! Get full value for your licence fee! See the channel line up on the Freebview website.
<br>
<br>Picture quality is the best you can get on RGB ..Sky only went wide-screen after Freeview arrived!
<br>
<br>The radio channels have a higher bit-rate than DAB. The best digital-audio sound..stereo, of course.
<br>
<br>No: Freeview is first class - the best thing to come to British TV since colour.
<br>
<br>If you haven't got Sky then don't bother!... get a Freeview box ..Philips, Sony or Panasonic are the best. If you have a relatively new telly then get a box of the same make - the remote will operate your TV as well as the Freeview box.
<br>
<br>Late News!!! Disney ABC1 and ITV3 channels coming to Freeview in the Autumn.
<br>http://www.freeview.co.uk/index.html

Freeky's Response to 154577_johnny123's Review

Written on: 07/06/2012

I have Sky and Freeview (necessary as an engineer) and most of the time just watch Freeview, Sky does have more channels but most are just junk so not worth paying any extra for.

I also find Freeview channel navigation much more intuitive than Sky with a better faster EPG (though that does vary by box)

I feel Sky far overpriced at any package and you can tell their money grabbing by their phone alone, insisting everyone uses their expensive numbers as they get extra revenue from the long calls you have to make.

Judylugg's Response to 154577_johnny123's Review

Written on: 12/06/2010

I found this review very helpful because I agree, Freeview is ABYSMAL - see my review on it!

Gendy943's Response to 154577_johnny123's Review

Written on: 10/10/2005

Utter twaddle ..Freeview is fantastic value for money....NOTHING on Sky could equal it and that is why Freeview has grown phenomenally while Sky is peddling like hell to stop loosing subscribers and spending a fortune on advertising to do it.
<br>
<br>Freeview has gone from strength to strength and the sales of 5million+ boxes since October 2002 prove it!

Kiyawhite's Response to 154577_johnny123's Review

Written on: 09/10/2005

Yeah, you've got it all wrong. FREEVIEW is a lot better than you make it out to be. Not only can you get quite a lot of extra digital channels and a better RGB picture quality, but if you have a good, high-gain aerial, interactive tele is pretty instant too!

Pinkpig's Response to 154577_johnny123's Review

Written on: 20/05/2005

Freeview is a perfectly good service for people who aren't avid TV watchers but want a few extra channels. Yes, it doesn't have everything, but it does have BBC3, BBC4, the two BBC childrens channels, BBC News 24, ITV News Channel, Sky News, Sky Sports News, ITV2, ITV3, soon to have E4 - all of which have decent stuff on from time to time, and it costs nothing but the cost of the box (around £50)
No, it's not got as much as "even the cheapest" Sky package - but the cheapest sky package costs £19.50 per month. £234 a year. For me that's far too much money to spend on television, given that I'm already paying for a TV license. I think freeview offers the best value for people who aren't particularly interested in movies or sport, but just want to have a little bit more flexibility and future-proofing than you get with the 5 analogue channels. Plus, freeview is the only way I can get decent channel 5 reception here.